Sarah-Lynn

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

Why, I'm 32, will be 33 in December!!
pixiealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by pixiealice »

Well, I am 34. Born in 74. I vaguely remember the Blizzard of 1978/1979 we had here in Ohio. It was a doozy! I loved watching the Smurfs. Miami Vice was a show that I had to sneak watching. The Thorn Birds was a big NO NO when it came out. I spent my teenage years going from MTV's HeadBangers Ball to loving (dare I say it?) New Kids on the Block. So excited that they are on tour this year (yes I have tickets for their Detroit show) I wore leg warmers, pegged my jeans, layered my socks, flipped my collars, feathered my hair, wore banana clips...
Had a crush on Duran Duran, Def Leppard and (UGH) Michael Jackson.
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Oh my goodness! Banana clips! :lol: One of my very *snooty* friends wanted to wear a banana clip in her hair for this really fancy ball at Law School. I nearly died. Her mother talked her out of it.

I also had a crush on Michael Jackson. We have to admit he was really cute during the Off the Wall and Thriller days. "I Wanna Dance With You" is still one of my fave songs! Mingled in with my 80-something Duran Duran posters were posters of Michael Jackson, Prince, and Rockwell (There's Someone Watching Me).

We also had some great teen flicks in the 80's: remember Porkies? Hahahaha. Fast Times at Ridgemont High and The Last American Virgin are my two fave *adult-sitatuion* teen movies. They seemed more realistic than any John Hughes film, even though I loved them too.

I have a thread on my myspace blog about cookie cutter movies from the 80's. How many movies can you list that follow this formula: loserish boy has crush on popular girl. Popular girl doesn't know he's alive. Loserish boy gets popular girl's attention. When loserish boy finally gets popular girl, he realizes he's always been in love with his kooky best girl friend. My pick: Better Off Dead (I want my 2 dollars!) Oh, how I love John Cusack.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I loved Better off Dead, Cusack is still such a hottie!

My pick for a movie would be Can't buy me Love or Some Kind of Wonderful - they are both SO good!

I'm 32 (born in '76), married almost eight years, no kids unless you count my dog and cat (hubby too??).

Does anyone remember Contact?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

I LOVE the movie Contact. Remember my crush on David Morse? Oh yeah. He played Ellie's dad. One of teh rare movies where he plays a good guy. He's such a good good guy, too. I love to hate him in The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Yep. Some Kind of Wonderful and Can't Buy me Love fit into that category. I was about to say that Ronald didn't fall for his best girl friend, but yeah, I guess he did. She made him popular. He attained popularity and then realized he already had with her what he'd been wanting all along. I didn't care for Some Kind of Wonderful when I was a teen, but I watched it again last week, and I loved it. I love the tough guy who helps Eric Stoltz with the dream date. Elias Koteas.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
stuckinthetundra
Wandering Through Town

Post by stuckinthetundra »

i'm a 30 something... 33 to be excat. i was polluted by the music of the 60s, 70, 80, 90 and today and find i love and listen to all of it, which annoys my 13 year old. i still wear wide leg (although not quite bell bottom) pants and can't quite give up th birght colors of the 80's although i don't slouch my socks or wear florscent anymore...... funny the things we can and can't give up huh?

i was a HUGE NKOTB fan and was nicknamed Debbie b/c of my obssesion with Debbie Gibson. my mom wouldn't let me go to either of their concerts.
i still watch Saved by the bell with my kids on saturday's, and i sent my pictures in for the seventeen model search the year elizabeth berkley was a finalist.
I LOVED Barbie. I wanted to be just like her. I mean really she looks great and has EVERYTHING!!!! I got a cabbage patch kid when I was 13. my room was decorated in strawberry shortcake for several years and I learned to tell time with Holly Hobby.

now my kids play with my little ponies and we have too many cabbage patch kids in the house.... my youngest wanted some for her birthday and Christmas last year and got 6 of them..... i couldn't have even imaged having 6 cabbage patch kids back in that day.

i remember seeing Back to School in the theaters and saw all the Superman movies at the drive in. my dad was and is a treky so i didn't see star wars until i was an adult... still can't get into it.
there is more i'm sure but those are the things that come to mind at the moment.
Last edited by stuckinthetundra on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuckinthetundra is : Indestructible VampToy

I can put my crown on if it makes it more offical :)
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I'm sorry GNE, I should have clarified. I meant "1, 2, 3, Contact"....do you remember that television show?

Hubby and I were huge fans, I wonder if it is still on somewhere in reruns??

There is another great movie and I'm not sure if it was in the 80's was The Bodyguard. NOT with Whitney Houston, this one is older and is a coming of age story. Anyone know it? The similar show to it (but funny) would be Johnny Dangerously...LOVED that movie!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Ooops, my bad. I knew Contact wasn't old, but I was going with it my Twin. I kinda remember 1, 2, 3 Contact. was it kinda like Zoom?

Th emovie you are remembering is My Bodyguard with Chris Makepeace and I think..Adam Baldwin. He played in Firefly, Angel, and the Independence Day movie. He was the guy who shot the coke can off the alien spacecraft. Actually, I think his job was just to shoot stuff in that movie.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

I used to have to sneak to watch Quantum Leap. Not because of the content, but because of the time it came on. I was only allowed to stay up until 10:00 and of course, Quantum Leap came on at 10:00.

I also loved Beverly Hills 90210! I used to watch that all the time until my parents decided it was too risque for me. After that, I sneaked watching that show too. ;)

Pixiealice, I'm so jealous that you have tickets to see NKOTB. I wanted to see them, but I couldn't get tickets fast enough. My wall was so plastered with their posters that you literally could not see the paint! :shock: :lol:
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

As Bella would say, "Holy crow!" 90210!! I was forbidden to watch that when I was a teen! I did start to watch it after I got out of the house... it's on SoapNet now, but I have yet to watch it from the beginning! I watched Quantum Leap,too. What about Melrose Place?? Yep, wasn't allowed to watch that either.