Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Post by BlueStarlight »

Yay, Una! I have been waiting for you to post your news. I wanted you to be first! :) So, I haven't been on much because I, too, am expecting! I'm 11 1/2 weeks along and due January 26th. I swear, Una and I didn't plan this! LOL!! I haven't had any morning sickness, just the extreme exhaustion...it has kept me away from tons more than just the Lex. We saw and heard the heartbeat of Baby J at 7 1/2 weeks during the sonogram. I can't believe this is happening to us; it's truly a miracle!

Yeah, the mommy-hating stories scare me a bit, too. Teen ones, like Nima's, not really. I remember going through that when I was MG's age...I had it bad. I remember when my nephew told his mom that she was mean because she either wouldn't let him have something or let him do something. I think he was 5 at the time. Her response was, "Well, I'm sorry you feel that way." *sigh*
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Openhome wrote:I need to get a copy of those books. it sounds wonderfully complicated. Which is the first one?

The first book in the Psy-Changling series is Slave to Sensation. The author is Nalini Singh. Don't be put off by the really cheesy titles and covers that don't even match the books. I think they look like Fabio is designing them or something. They don't do the writing justice. In an unusual twist, the first book is one of my favorites in the series. Usually the first book is weak because it spends so much time on introductions and set up. But Lucas is my favorite kitty kat. You can read the prologue and an excerpt from the first chapter here.

Don't be put off by my melodramatic daughter. Babies are yummy, but teenagers are fun. Seriously, they are so fun to play with! Oh, and they drive and you can leave them alone without the police arresting you for abandonment. Sometimes we take off on a week night and have a date like dinner or a new movie release. I'm married to a "Jacob" who even owns a Harley. We took two motorcyle trips with friends in May. (No fat jokes! I'm workin' on it!) You have to take the bad with the good unfortunately. I'm not going to say it doesn't hurt, or doesn't drive me crazy, but I wouldn't trade them for the world. Mostly, I worry a lot.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Bewitched
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bewitched »

Openhome and Nima are right. Teens aren't so bad. Everyday is an adventure. I especially like the fact that we can leave them alone now. I've almost got a life, even if we do come home by 9. And remember, a sense of humor always helps. I keep telling my self that since my daughter turned 12 this year. I even told my oldest I got dibs on his couch when his sister's head starts spinning and she spews evil things at me. :lol:

Oh and if you come home and find a kleenex box taped to their bedroom door, don't fall for the "it's easier for me to reach the kleenex as I go to bed" story. I'm sure if you check you'll find a hole about the same size underneath it.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I hope we didn't scare you. Children of all ages are such a wonderful blessing, just don't loose yourself in motherhood and remember to laugh a lot. Here is an excerpt of just one day at my home that I posted on the Over 40 thread. Crazy yes, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

I have wonderful children, but during the summer, they become very "creative" and have lots of energy (and there are a lot of them, so I am sadly outnumbered), so here are some of the things I have said today:

"Who put the ferret in the dishwasher AGAIN?"

"I don't care what your brother said, you may never slide down the basement stairs on the sled." (note: I will need a few days to patch up the hole in the sheetrock)

"Do NOT put dead things in my purse!" (it was a crayfish, the cat found it)

"Get the rat off of the kitchen counter. What have I told you about vermin in the kitchen?"

"Exactly how many days is it until school starts?"

:D
By the way Bewitched, you never did tell us the kleenex box story. Time to fess up!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

I love all the stories. It helps me realize that my kids are "normal". (There really is no normal is there).

Yes, Bewitched, please fill in on the Kleenex story.

Happy Birthday Oleander!

a gift
by Laniyeah on photobucket
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

First of all, Happy Birthday Oleander!
I agree with the others - don't get scared by the stories; for every horrible moment, there's a wonderful moment. I think it's just that as mothers, we remember the events that show us at our less-than-best.
openhouse, I loved your quotes from one day in your house. It's true that during the summer, the kids get pretty creative which can lead to all sorts of mayhem. I'm not sure why we try to do thorough cleaning of the house at this point, since it will be cyclone-like almost immediately after (or the famous "you can't throw that away! I forgot I had that! Let's play with it!"). Right now, my kids have those foamy "egg crate" things you put under a mattress to make it softer spread out on the living room floor so they can have a beach.
And Bewitched, we want to hear the Kleenex story.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I do love reading the stories, too. They are sweet memories. I like to hear my mom tell stories of us when we were kids.

I was babysitting my nephew one day the week after I found out I was pregnant. My sister was over, too...she's not his mom. I was showing her what Baby J looked like at 6 weeks (which is where I was) according to the drawing in "What to Expect When You're Expecting." My nephew walked over, looked at it, made a face and said, "That thing looks like catfish bait." I got the biggest laugh that my tuggy, pully, sore abdomen would allow. Then I called hubby at work and told him.

Yes, Bewitched, I'm lost on the kleenex box thing, too.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OLEANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

CONGRATS!!!!!!! to both una and BlueStarlight!!!!!!!! How exciting for both of you...

BlueStarlight- I lived practically attached to What to Expect When You Are Expecting! LOL I carried it everywhere because I wanted to know if every little thing was "normal". My husband made so much fun of me that finally I stopped and then one day I caught him taking it to work with him! LOL He was reading it behind my back :) LOL

I guess each stage with children carries its good points and its bad points. And I'm with everyone else Bewitched...I want to hear about the Kleenex box! It sounds very...creative :)

By thr way...I laughed hysterically the other day. My son actually came to me screaming saying, "Mommy, she's touching me!!" while angerily pointing at his sister. I swear, you hear rumors about kids saying that...my sister and I say it to my mom now to joke around, but he was sooo serious and I thought, "Oh my gosh, they actually say it!! It's not just some joke!" LOL

And thank goodnesss!! Branded by Fire came in yesterday!!! I'm reading now!! :)

Thank you Naureen!!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

fanMNM wrote:CONGRATS!!!!!!! to both una and BlueStarlight!!!!!!!! How exciting for both of you...

BlueStarlight- I lived practically attached to What to Expect When You Are Expecting! LOL I carried it everywhere because I wanted to know if every little thing was "normal". My husband made so much fun of me that finally I stopped and then one day I caught him taking it to work with him! LOL He was reading it behind my back :) LOL

Thanks, Fan. That book has been a God-send. My story is a long one, but I'll condense. This baby truly is a miracle for us. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome at 17; my doc told me that there was a slim-to-none chance that I'd conceive naturally. He put me on the pill to regulate my cycle. Eight years later I got married, and we talked about fertility treatments- that was just out of our financial range. I went off the pill, and it has taken my body EIGHT more years to rid itself of the side-effects of it. In the meantime, we looked into adoption; again, so expensive. We just decided that a baby wasn't in the cards for us. We've been married for 10 1/2 years now. Things just started happening last October, my hormones were leveling out by themselves, I was getting back to feeling normal. I had noticed changes the previous months, and kept telling myself to find a new doc, but kept putting it off. I started Weight Watchers in January, and lost 34 pounds, with an additional 30 slowly coming off in the 18 months prior. I was exercising, too. It just so happened that the week I upped my workout was the week I got pregnant. I noticed that my appetite increased, and I was exhausted by the end of the day. I thought it was because I had added jogging to my treadmill time, started using dumbbells to tone my arms, and using a workout video. I didn't think anything of it. Rational thinking told me that I was burning more calories by jogging, and working my muscles harder by the weights and exercises, so of course I'd be hungry and tired! LOL!! Then my abdomen was feeling off; I figured I was doing my crunches wrong or too many. Again, I had no clue that I could be pregnant; I don't ovulate with PCOS. I kept checking my calendar, waiting; my cycle is longer than normal, so 36 days was nothing for me to worry about. I've also had a lot of stress on hubby's side of the family, that could add to a delay. I bought a pregnancy test on day 37, and BAM, we conceived naturally! The next week, I bought the book at Wal-Mart. I had never felt anything like this, and I wanted to know if it were normal; my abdomen felt like it was being pulled in every direction. I read the part about all the early signs, and just stood there and cried because I had them all, and it was NORMAL! I really think that if I had been vomiting, that would have been a dead give-away that I were pregnant. I didn't know what to look for, and I truly thought that what I was feeling was due to the exercising increase! At the start of every week, I get the book out and read to hubby what's going on with the baby. It's so amazing!! I keep telling him that he needs to read the part for dads, but he hasn't yet...eventually he will. :)
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

My sister sent me these links. They are funny articles. Enjoy!

article 1

article 2 is a follow up
by Laniyeah on photobucket