Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Post by Openhome »

Erma Bombeck becomes more brilliant the older I get!

Here are a few Erma moments that I had at Boy Scout camp. I didn't know if I should share them, but they are so much like her life, that I couldn't resist.

During the afternoon, we have a two hour break, and I and another adult were in camp with three of the younger boys. The other adult was asleep, so I was left reading and watching over camp. I was drawing the wonderful lake scene that was right by the campsite. Suddenly, all three boys screamed, and dropped out of a tree next to me right by the lake. The lake has a 12 foot bank on it, so I ran over to the ledge to see the three of them hopping around, obviously suffering from foot-shock, and giving each other high fives.
I immediately went into shocked mother mode and began the whole, "What on earth are you doing -- you could have been killed!" tirade.
They just stood there looking at me like I was an idiot. Finally my son just said in an exasperated tone, "Mom! Chill. Look, we had to do it. We made capes!" With that all three boys pointed to their backs where they had tucked their rain ponchos into their shirts to make red capes. They thought that making capes was reason enough to pull such a stupid stunt!

For myself, I really think that capes are the most dangerous toy a child can have. Guns and knives never cause as many problems at our house as a single red cape on the back of an adventurous boy.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Fan- wow! PCOS really varies, doesn't it? My hair stylist has it, too, and she was 8 months along with her first one when she found out!! She is tall and very overweight, so she didn't notice a change in her body for months; she's also very irregular, so she thought nothing of not having a period for 9 months either. She got pregnant again in January, but miscarried. My hubby's sister is "normal." She conceived both of her boys while taking the pill.

That cape story is great! We did all kinds of goofy things like that when we were growing up. There were 4 of us, so there were lots of options for group things. :)
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

*peeks head in*
Hi gang... I'm glad to see the thread picking up again. I've been out of town (well, from my July home base - my parent's home in MI) and I come back to 5 pages of stuff! Hello to the newbies, Happy bday to Oleander, Congrats to Una and BSL! Loved all the stories. I'll save "advice" for times I'm asked!

I had a good weekend. I went back to my home town for my 20th HS reunion. I got to stay with my best friend and her family. I was without my kids. It was a wonderful couple of days - visiting, laughing and hanging out. Unfortunately, the weekend was also full of crying. A dear friend from home passed away yesterday. She was only 6 years old. She was suffering from lymphoma. Since I am in MI, I will not be home for the services and beach party, but I will say my good byes on my own. My son, 5 1/2, is doing great. He has asked a couple questions, but has moved on like a 5 year old can.

I'll be checking in from time to time, but my heart just isn't in it... For now. :-)
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

The Gutter has become the PCOS zone. I have it too; dx'ed when I was 17.

So, heading off to the HP midnight show tonight. I wonder if the crowd will be like it was for Twilight's opening night? Hmm...how early to go...don't want to end up in the 2nd row like I did for Transformers 2.

Twimom, big hugs to you again.

NiMa, I totally agree with you on Mercy. I'm dying to read it again but i'm working on reading an ARC for the bookstore. It's a great book, so I don't mind.

Speaking of bookstore, I got $45 in gift cards for my favourite independent bookstore (the one I do reviews for) and another $20 from Chapters! I'm in book heaven! I'm buying the newest DH book with the Chapters card, but as for the others...hmm...what to buy. :)

Time to work!! Ugh.
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Twimom- you and the little girl's family are in my thoughts and prayers!

Oleander- book gift certificates are always my favorite! :) Have fun spending yours! I'm jealous you are getting to see HP tonight! My husband went out of town on a business trip this morning and made me promise not to see it without him :cry: So I have to wait a week! I hope it's fabulous!

Thank you Naureen!!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Twi-mom, you and the family are in my thoughts and prayers! *hugs*

Oleander- me so jealous of your getting to see HP tonight. I really want to go, but midnight is just toooooo late for this preggo...even with a nap. I have a doc's appt. at 2, then a couple errands that need to be done TODAY, then a meeting at 7.

Fan- yeah, I have the same dilemma. Hubby is in class today and tomorrow, which is almost worse than actual work. He's in Law Enforcement. Then he's leaving Friday for another class (which is a 6-hour drive away) and will come back home Sunday night. My sister is staying the weekend with me while he's gone, but she isn't into HP. Hubby is, so we planned to see it together...I REALLY want to go when the theatre is full, it's just an all-around better experience. Sis doesn't want to go because she doesn't know the story, and I don't want to go to a matinee by myself. LOL, I'll figure something out. :)
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Thank you all for the good wishes. I feel very blessed and hubby and I are very excited.

Happy Belated Birthday Oleander!! Have fun tonight!

If I didn't mind crowds, I'd go to the HP opening. As I hate rooms filled with people, I'll wait a while to see it.

My only excuse for waiting so long to have children is that my hubby was an only child who was slightly denied his childhood by his childlike father. We needed time together before he was ready. I just never thought it would be 8 1/2 years! :shock:
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Una, it's worth waiting for a husband to grow up before asking him to take on the responsibility of being a father. Besides, I've always said you should have time to be a wife before you change the relationship and become a mother.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Oh, Nima you are very right. I just never thought I would be this "old" before having my first. I worry that I might be too old to really play with my kids. I know it is a silly fear, but I know a couple down the street. She's in her forties/fifties and he is in his seventies. Maybe my wild pregnancy hormones are to blame, but I feel such a strong sense of pathos for those twin baby boys that they may not get to play catch or football with their dad. You know?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Whenever I feel too "old," I get out the playdough and start playing. It brings me back to my pre-school days. :)

If your husband took that long to "grow up," you don't need to worry about him being too old. My husband very quickly turns back into a kid every time he plays with the kids. He looses all sense of time and just has fun. It is rather annoying to have to call them ALL in for bed! He will stand out there with a football or something and argue just as hard as the kids that they only need "a few more minutes, honey."