Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

Post by MRK »

OKTO
#1 Marines are yummy...

#2 I think we should invite the Cullens to move here with us...we never see the sun either!
#3 Your banner shoudl be in your PM box if you choose to accept it ;)
PaulinhaBrasil
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by PaulinhaBrasil »

Good afternoon dear friends!

I'm a bit scared today. I had a surreal experience last night. I was writing and watching a movie and suddenly I heard a girl scream outside my window. I live on the 3rd floor and my bedroom window faces the street.

It was pouring outside, I could barely see the other side of the street and I saw her being mugged. I was terrified! I called the police, but as these things goes, being mugged at 2am doesn’t last long enough for the police to come in time.

I was so, so, so worried for that girl that I started crying. Gosh, I prayed for her, so she could be safe, that those guys wouldn't hurt her. I felt silly, but I didn’t know what else to do. When I looked outside she was gone and I guess she got inside her building.

I remembered Liez and the horrid thing that happened; why there are so much bad things in this world?
OktoSink wrote:That groundhog better see his shadow next week, or I'm hunting him down... (For those of you who are unfamiliar with groundhog day, its feb. 2 and its just a silly way of predicting how long winter is going to last based on if a fat groundhog sees his shadow or not... rarely accurate)
You flushed away some of my sadness with this one! All I know about Groundhog Day is from the movie with Bill Murray. *laughs*
twilight813 wrote:Well one day my best friend came over and she is like I am reading this book about vampires and humans and werewolves and I was like oh jeez.... I really never had the intentions to read it because it sounded so corny to me!
I go through this every time I try to explain twilight to my friends and family. *sigh*
vampire_elf wrote: The movie:The sparkling didn't dazzle me either. I was more like, ok nice try... And the whole scene is weid. Edward is talking about his diet one minute and the next he is running and tells here she needs to see how he looks in the sunlight (without any prelude that statement doesn't make much sense to me!).
I felt the same way. It was so anticlimactic! The sparks in the book are supposed to make you feel in awe. The moment was built and had a suspense as to why he didn’t burned on the sun, why is it so special… that moment was of defenselessness, when he exposed himself completely to him. The movie was just, wrong.

*hugs*
Paula
♀Sisterhood of the Traveling Book ♀
♥A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily!♥
ihadanEdwardRush
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ihadanEdwardRush »

PaulinhaBrasil wrote:
I'm a bit scared today. I had a surreal experience last night. I was writing and watching a movie and suddenly I heard a girl scream outside my window. I live on the 3rd floor and my bedroom window faces the street.

It was pouring outside, I could barely see the other side of the street and I saw her being mugged. I was terrified! I called the police, but as these things goes, being mugged at 2am doesn’t last long enough for the police to come in time.

I was so, so, so worried for that girl that I started crying. Gosh, I prayed for her, so she could be safe, that those guys wouldn't hurt her. I felt silly, but I didn’t know what else to do. When I looked outside she was gone and I guess she got inside her building.

I remembered Liez and the horrid thing that happened; why there are so much bad things in this world?
Oh gosh, that's indeed scary. I mean, did the police go there to check or something? That's a horrible.
Banner by the fabulous MISTY!!! (yeah she rules!)
A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily! <3 my lexlings
CiaoBella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by CiaoBella »

Honey- Haha, oh I know, Channing Tatum is deliciously yummy. In fact, I better stop day dreaming about him right now before I start to drool all over my desk… I don’t want my co-workers to think I’ve developed some kind of inexplicable drooling-disorder... :oops:

Oktosink- I feel so sad in the winter too! First of all, me and cold weather are not friends – we do not get along very well. Mainly because cold weather wants me to be cold, and I hate being cold, which leaves me wanting to punch the cold weather in the face, haha. It’s kind of like I have a very mild case of seasonal affect disorder, ‘cause while it’s not like I feel debilitated, I sure do get the winter blues. I can’t wait for the spring and for sunshine to return to my life, seeing as how sunlight can literally make me feel happy and serve as an instant mood-lift/energy booster. I’m sending you a virtual (and also, imaginary) cup of hot chocolate to help warm you up on such a freezing cold day *hands you a cup of yummy hot chocolate that is hot, but not hot to the point where you’d burn your tongue on the very first sip* :D

Kim- Good luck with those jobs you applied for/the job hunt! Something is bound to come up, and hopefully that happens sooner than later… I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Samantha- I really meant to say this to you when I posted earlier, but your trip to that western bar certainly does sound interesting, but at least you and your friends got some free booze out of it! My sister dragged me to this country line dancing bar over the summer and it was fun, but I definitely felt really out of place at first. And by the end of the night, I ended up doing the two-step with this man who must have been in his late 60’s and I was AWFUL at it, but he was sweet enough to ignore the fact that I was stepping all over his cowboy boot-wearin’ feet.

CappuGirl- Other than complimenting your hair earlier, I also meant to tell you that I hope you feel better! Goodness, where has my mind been today? Seems like I’ve been brain-farting left and right…

Paulinha- Yikes! Oh my gosh that’s so scary, I hope that girl is okay and that she wasn’t harmed! It’s a good thing you were around to call the police – even though they couldn’t get there in time. Maybe this wasn’t an isolated event and they will know what things to look out for in the future, and be on the look out for the creep (or creeps?) who mugged that poor girl. But that must have been terrifying to witness, and I hope you're feeling a little less shaken up today! *hugs*
Team Edward: because I'd love to be his stupid lamb.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... <3 my Lexily!
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

... eh... *were the duck did the thing I was going to post disappear? They idea, not the post*

Holly - I think that there are -very- many more Edward girls out there than Jacob-lovers. Though amongst us "older" fans there seem to be a more even distribution, more based on personal preferences than the fact that he's Edward... I seriously felt a need to harm him in beginning of Eclipse. He was suck a donkey-hole! Not to say Jacob wasn't a jerk (forcing himself on Bella and all) but he did not forbid Bella to do what she wanted... He let her live her life the way she wanted and was just happy to be along for the ride. Eh, can you tell I was more or less locked up by my ex, who was insanely jealous?

And Jacob has one more advantage... the Eclipse Jacob is an trait for trait description of my D. Seriously, it was creepy! There was Bella (who I related to on a scary level, I felt like it was my story being told) then comes Edward (OMJB, he acts just like my best male friend J) and then, there's Jacob... I started checking the windows, wondering if SM stood outside observing me and my life...
Didn't help that one week prior to falling into the saga, I had sprained my ankle, in the klutziest of ways...

Sorry for that rant, I was so engulfed by Eclipse I couldn't think about anything else... And I could not wait the week it took for the books to be delivered. Even though I detest reading of the screen, I do have the whole saga as pdf's. Comes in very handy when searching specific quotes and scenes. Write a relevant word and it takes you there. I love it! Very handy when playing TM games (TM= twilightmoms, for those over 25, married or with children. For the older twilight crew. I joined without fulfilling any of the demands and was welcomed with open arms!)

SenorGimp - As I mentioned above, my friend J is very much like Edward, so you are not alone in bringing chivalry back! He is a true gentleman, and all the girls in the 'gang' loves him for it!

Cappu - You. like. Mike??? eeeew!!!! :lol: just kidding. Still don't see it... :roll: I like my Mike better... :lol:

Paula - *big HUG* that poor, poor girl! Lucky she wasn't me, I'd probably gotten myself shot bu fighting the mugger... :roll: I just know I would be too stubborn to give up my stuff...

About the crazy insane world:
I went home from the gala Saturday night before D (those of you with facebook knows as much) He called me at 5 am to ask if I could pick him up. He had gone along with the band to hear them rehearse... I grumbled but went to pick him up. When I arrived he stood outside in the rain. On the way home he told me some other people had come to the place, mostly members of the MC-club that owned it, but also some not so pleasant guys from the mainland. After being very rude, really giving a damper to the mood, they started "pulling lines on the table" (that's a direct translation of the Swedish expression, don't know what it's called in English). That's when D decided that if he so had to walk in the rain, he was leaving! We're both very strongly opinionated when it comes to drug abuse.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

I know I'm skipping over a lot of things here, so no hard feelings anyone. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work and don't have all the time in the world to be posting on the Lex :roll:

Tabs- Just so you know, I wasn't knocking line dancing or anything ;) It's just not my thing. YAY I can't wait to go see Jackson! We will have to play it cool and try to be all suave... I don't think there's anything that could really prepare me for seeing him.

Kim- Good luck on all those jobs you applied to, keep us updated! As for the swap, we were wondering if we could just post what we got as soon as we get it or if we're waiting for a certain time. Ninna also suggested posting pictures of the gifts we received. Just some ideas, but I figured you were the boss lady as you set it up and all :D

Paulinha- OMG That is so scary! I can't even imagine... I hope the girl is all right and that they can catch those guys who did that to her *shudders* I hope you are feeling better about it. *BIG HUGS*

Kiella- Well you are definitely braver than I am. If anyone had gotten me to attempt that style of dancing I would have been stepping all over their toes too... though some of those creepy old guys might have deserved that :lol:

Ninna- Sorry to hear about that incident, I guess it is good D was able to get out of there though the poor thing was out in the rain. I guess you were his knight in shining armor that night!

I am an Edward girl myself. I grew to love Jacob after some time, kinda didn't like him the first time through. I still don't agree with a lot of the things Jacob does, but I love him anyway. Edward's my dream guy though *sigh
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
animegaijingirl

Post by animegaijingirl »

Waaaah, why will the lex not let me post? :cry: Oh well, you're stuck with whatever I'm going to write now *chuckles* ahem, moving on...

Cymbrelynn, woohoo for that many job apps, fingers crossed for you!
vampire_elf wrote: I'm so glad I only found out about twilight after all four books were released becuase waiting for the books is pure torture (I'm feeling for you, Tabs!).
Vamp-Elf, I so agree, waiting 5 days to get the rest (while searching every book store in a 1 hour radius) was driving me insane! I ended up reading Twilight again just to hold me over till I could get the rest. Bella may be Edward's brand of heroin, but after the first hit of Twilight it felt like cold turkey going without the rest (so to speak).

Cappu and twilight813 , hope you're both feeling better now, or starting to at least! :)
CiaoBella wrote: It makes me sad that it took me as long as it did to pick up the books. But I tend to be a bit “contrary” when it comes to things that receive a lot of hype.. and by that I mean, I usually steer clear from the things that are getting way hyped-up because in the end, I typically feel like whatever it was isn’t worth all of the hype, and I end up feeling disappointed and let down...
Ciao Bella, I too am of a very contrary nature about such things, I'm actually really glad I hadn't heard much about the series, or I would have gone out of my way to be the one who didn't read it. Thankfully, no one had tried to get me to read it, so I picked it up of my own accord, and the rest is history... full blown addiction and RSI in the making from finding the Lex lol :lol:
Wingtear wrote:I seriously felt a need to harm him [Edward] in beginning of Eclipse. He was suck a donkey-hole! Not to say Jacob wasn't a jerk (forcing himself on Bella and all) but he did not forbid Bella to do what she wanted... He let her live her life the way she wanted and was just happy to be along for the ride. Eh, can you tell I was more or less locked up by my ex, who was insanely jealous?
OK, so Wingtear says something here that kind of explains why I had such a hard time letting myself like Edward, especially after the first book.
I'm dealing with issues of verbal abuse and control (not with my bf who is wonderfully not like that, but it's my parent's relationship, something my sister and I are trying to work through in regards to our relationships to other people, men in particular, and trying to help our mother out of, while still loving our father, blah, blah, let's just say it's pretty messy and unresolved). Add to that two of my very close friends extracating themselves from badly controlling relationships in the last couple of years, it means I'm very alert about these things right now.
Anyway, so I'm reading all these books about abusive relationships and controlling behaviour, and I see so much of this in Edward's behaviour towards Bella. NOW, in the context of the book, and the relationship between them, I actually think it's OK. I can put my pesonal feelings about this to the side and enjoy the romance, the story etc. There are circumstances which make his behaviour understandable.
But the whole other side of my brain is worried for the young girls who read the books and fall for Edward as the "perfect man". If they end up accepting this behaviour as good, without the whole "vampire who wants to drain you dry" and outside dangers, they could end up in some pretty sick and controlling relationships (stalking = not good in reality!). As an adult reading the book I know more about how relationships work etc. (and I don't think all young girls who read the books would react this way, just some...). His behaviour, in a human context, would be pretty OTT and not make him a good choice for a stable, honest relationship.
Saying all this, there are lots of things I like about Edward and his relationship with Bella, and lots of things that I don't, as they're a little too close to home.
So, I guess all of this is an explanation as to why I may not be his biggest fan somedays, and really into him on others - it just depends what nerve is being hit at the time.

OK, sorry if it's all a bit too heavy for a monday, but thought I'd better explain my Jekyll and Hyde feelings about Edward before I looked like I have a split personality disorder!

Anna Mae :geek: :mrgreen:
PaulinhaBrasil
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by PaulinhaBrasil »

animegaijingirl wrote:OK, so Wingtear says something here that kind of explains why I had such a hard time letting myself like Edward, especially after the first book.
(...) two of my very close friends extracating themselves from badly controlling relationships in the last couple of years, it means I'm very alert about these things right now.
Anyway, so I'm reading all these books about abusive relationships and controlling behaviour, and I see so much of this in Edward's behaviour towards Bella. NOW, in the context of the book, and the relationship between them, I actually think it's OK. I can put my pesonal feelings about this to the side and enjoy the romance, the story etc. There are circumstances which make his behaviour understandable.
But the whole other side of my brain is worried for the young girls who read the books and fall for Edward as the "perfect man". If they end up accepting this behaviour as good, without the whole "vampire who wants to drain you dry" and outside dangers, they could end up in some pretty sick and controlling relationships (stalking = not good in reality!). As an adult reading the book I know more about how relationships work etc. (and I don't think all young girls who read the books would react this way, just some...). His behaviour, in a human context, would be pretty OTT and not make him a good choice for a stable, honest relationship.
Saying all this, there are lots of things I like about Edward and his relationship with Bella, and lots of things that I don't, as they're a little too close to home.
So, I guess all of this is an explanation as to why I may not be his biggest fan somedays, and really into him on others - it just depends what nerve is being hit at the time.
Ana Mae, you have just put into words the way I feel about Edward. Down to the last syllable. This I why I like and dislike Edward; and why I’d love to see and meet ;) an Edward/Jacob hybrid. I think I found him in The Host, but let’s see how this plays out. :D
♀Sisterhood of the Traveling Book ♀
♥A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily!♥
animegaijingirl

Post by animegaijingirl »

Paulinha, that must be why we get on so well hahaha. I started the host this morning, will let you know when I'm done (I WILL make myself go to bed tonight instead of reading it all, I hope!! :D )
OK, so bearing in mind I'm only 3 chapters in and WILL NOT be saying anything spoiler-y here, I heard this song in the shower (shower radio, not just insane brain that picks up radio stations haha) and it really fit the first couple chapters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUF-IlF1UW0, what do you think P? BTW, am I going to end up seeing the whole world around me as Host-related, just like with Twilight? Cuz then I might just go a little loopy, and only you guys will understand the words that come out of my mouth/fingers :lol:
vampire_elf
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by vampire_elf »

I've been trying to write that post for over an hour I think but the phone kept ringing.... It's a bit crazy today!

MRK: again, thanks for the amazing banner.

Paulinha: so scary!! :o But going outside to help the girl would have been plain dangerous so you did the right thing!
Anticlimatic is the right word for the sparkling thing... :?

Anna Mae: I agree with you about that part of Edward's personality! And while the stalking is somehow cute in the book, it's NOT in reality!
Oh, and waiting for the books until I could buy the rest.... horror! lol

twilight813: sorry to hear you're still not well! get better soon! ETSY is addicting. I checked out Austria and Germany and there are very nice thing (but the earings I really want are from the US :( ).

Banner by the amazing MRK!
Obsessed 20 something Twilighter