What are you reading?

be my escape
Totally Inside Jacob's Mind

What are you reading?

Post by be my escape »

Discuss the books you are reading here!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: What are you reading?

Post by debussygirl »

Yay, first post!
I'm reading Villette and Book Thief. Still. Haven't had much time to read, unfortunately.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

I almost read the book thief once, but didn't get it because I wasn't sure from the excert on the back if it would be good or not. Is it good?
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Yeah, so far but I haven't had much time to read so I'm a little less than half-way through. But I heard it's sad, since after all it is about Nazi Germany.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Starless*Eyes
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: "Doctor, Doctor, I've got an emergency. It seems I'm head over heels, a case of L-O-V-E."

Post by Starless*Eyes »

Funny this thread should come up. Just five minutes ago I caught myself and noticed that I'm not really reading anything at the moment. Which is quite the shocker, I should go start one of the books I've bought.
Well actually, I'm reading The Lovely Bones which I took out from my school's library. But I haven't gotten into it completely and I feel like reading something supernatural.
i.heart.Garrett.Hedlund.
"...How I hated to go back to my house, to hide in the dark and pretend to sleep while so many were dying."-Carlisle Cullen<3 Team Carlisle
a_n_n_a
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by a_n_n_a »

For AP Lit we just started reading "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. I've only read one chapter but so far have found myself enjoying it. In the back of my head it's a book I've always wanted to read but never really thought about, the same goes for "The Great Gatsby".

I still have to read "Pretties" by Scott Westerfeld since I read "Uglies" and found it pretty enjoyable. I've heard that it is quite good, too.
ImageImageImage
keds723
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by keds723 »

a_n_n_a wrote:For AP Lit we just started reading "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. I've only read one chapter but so far have found myself enjoying it. In the back of my head it's a book I've always wanted to read but never really thought about, the same goes for "The Great Gatsby".

I still have to read "Pretties" by Scott Westerfeld since I read "Uglies" and found it pretty enjoyable. I've heard that it is quite good, too.
I decided to read the unabridged version of "Great Expectations" when I was in freshman lit and I kicked myself in the rear many times to get through it.

I am afraid that even though "The Great Gatsby" was a wonderful book in it's own right, certain teachers (who will remain nameless unless they be a secret Twilight fan and are on this website) have ruined it by making allusions to Gatsby being Jesus.

I also have tried to read "The Book Thief," but for some reason after the first time I read it, I just didn't pick it up again. I recommend "Atonement" by Ian McEwan and "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. (The Historian is also a novel about vampires. I love it so much. Almost as much as Twilight saga...but not nearly as much ;) )
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

I read the abridged Illustrated Classics version of Great Expectations years ago, and it was good. I've got to read pretties, too. I think I'm about to just give up my search and read Specials, since I have 2 copies of that. :lol:
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
AtomicStar
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by AtomicStar »

I'm reading Vamps In The City by Kerrelyn Sparks. It's certainly no Twilight, but it's entertaining enough. Very spicy love scenes, too.... :o :shock:
ariake76
Wandering Through Town

Post by ariake76 »

OK regarding Eragon from the last thread... I read the replies of everybody who both liked and didn't like it, was glad to see I wasn't alone and also, I will continue to read it because of the good recommendation of one reader (sorry.... new.... still learning names...). Thanks for your comments! Maybe it's just a slow build, Harry Potter was for me as well.

Regarding that Paolini was 19 when it was written, I gotta say, I'm aware of that.... but while I think it's impressive and terrific, I'm a writer also (published) and I know the business is absolutely brutal. It takes a tremendous amount of good fortune and "grooming" as well as talent to have one's books take on as high a profile as Paolini's books have. They are front-and-center in every bookstore, in Target, you name it-- so I was expecting Eragon to be enthralling at least within the first 50 pages. With Twilight I could immediately see what the schtick was-- as I've said before, I'm not a vampire-fic reader and I'm not a young adult either, but as soon as I began reading it I was like, "A lunch table full of vampires? Neat!" and "Why ARE his eyes changing color??" For me it was "Aha, right away I can see why these books have blown up so big." And with Eragon it's been, "what's the big deal?" He sure writes well for a 19-year-old, but at the end of the day a book is about the story, not the author, you know?... I would want people to read my stuff and say, "wow, that story was great," not "she sure wrote a good book for having had SpongeBob playing three feet away from her ear the entire time."

That said, thanks, I'll be reading more Eragon :-)
Yes, my husband's last two names really are Edward Coleman. But his first name is Mike.