What are you reading?

Wolf-Girl90
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Wolf-Girl90 »

una wrote:I have tried to read The Lovely Bones and couldn't do it. Since I got it from the library, it took me so long to get through each section, let alone the chapter, I turned it back it. It's almost too emotional for me to read, especially during winter when everything is cold and grey...it was just too much for me. Currently I'm in the middle of the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Keynon and I'm reading an anthology called Fantasy.

If you want something good and a little less emotional, have you tried The Time Traveler's Wife? It's really good.

I liked Eragon for the story and mythology. The writing and flow shows the greenness of the author, but if the story wasn't engaging, I wouldn't have read it. I enjoyed the story, but I will say it has its slow parts. Again, I haven't gotten to Brisinger yet, but I will.

Great Expectations is one of my all time favorite books, up there with Where the Red Fern Grows and Pride and Prejudice. I also enjoyed Great Gasby and Heart of Darkness. All except for P&P were school reading. I find it interesting how some of the required reading is obvious in why it is chosen and required while others I have NO idea why it is. It's even more interesting to see what books are popular and which ones aren't.
The Lovely Bones is an amazing book.
It made me seriously cry too!
You should read it though! I know this sounds all deep, but it really made me appreciate life.
Okay, that was cheesy, but it really did!
xxx
J<3B::Taylor Lautner::Dating Thread::Cymru::Karl = LBF
Banner by ThreeThings
http://-roadkillchic.piczo.com
keds723
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by keds723 »

una wrote: If you want something good and a little less emotional, have you tried The Time Traveler's Wife? It's really good.

I liked Eragon for the story and mythology. The writing and flow shows the greenness of the author, but if the story wasn't engaging, I wouldn't have read it. I enjoyed the story, but I will say it has its slow parts. Again, I haven't gotten to Brisinger yet, but I will.

Great Expectations is one of my all time favorite books, up there with Where the Red Fern Grows and Pride and Prejudice. I also enjoyed Great Gasby and Heart of Darkness. All except for P&P were school reading. I find it interesting how some of the required reading is obvious in why it is chosen and required while others I have NO idea why it is. It's even more interesting to see what books are popular and which ones aren't.
I absolutely LOVE The Time Traveler's Wife . They actually have completed filming for the movie, which is set to release sometime at the end of this year (probably after New Moon! *squee!!*) I am totally going to go and see it, even if it comes out Christmas Day! I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Twilight. It doesn't have vampires in it, but it has romance and it has some weird sci-fi elements to it. Gah...

I liked Eragon, but somehow I can't get through Eldest. It's got some really exciting parts, but it's a slow read. I can never tell why it takes me so long to read this book because the font isn't that small! I read the entire Twilight saga in three days and I can't read one stupid book in less than a month?! What's with that?

Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorite books (I'm a lover of romance...can you tell?) I recommend anything by Jane Austen.

On a side note, has anyone here ever finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett?
virginiax7
Learning to Love Green

Post by virginiax7 »

Right now I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, which is AMAZING except for the fact that almost everyone has the same name and I keep getting people confused. :]
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

keds723 wrote:On a side note, has anyone here ever finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett?
I have it at home on my stack of "to-be-read." My FIL read it and really liked it so he passed it on to me. Have you read it?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
keds723
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by keds723 »

I've read about 350 pages of it and it's really interesting, but I don't remember anything that happened in the beginning, so I'm afraid I may have to start over and reread everything again! It's a very tough read in my opinion....
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I am reading He's Just Not That Into You.

And I wanted to add that The Lovely Bones is a fantastic book! (they are making it into a movie... not sure if that was mentioned earlier...)

Also, Lucky, by the same author, Alice Sebold, is also very good. Its a memoir based on her experience dealing with being raped in college.

Oh, I might also be reading Twilight for the 3rd time... :oops: :lol:
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I always keep one of the 4 Twilight saga books near me so I can read it in between reading my other books :)

I can't help it, they're just so interesting. And everytime I read thru them I feel like I read something I missed all the times before. It makes me wonder how much I have missed in previous books I've read only once.

I have to confess that I have some books on my bookshelf that I just can't make myself read. Gregory Maguire, the author of Wicked, wrote some other books and I have a few but I just can't get excited about them. I loved the musical Wicked, but the book was a little slow for me and hard to get thru. I guess I am afraid his other books will be the same...

I've heard good things about The Lovely Bones but I've also heard some people say they couldn't read it because it was too scary. Is that true? Should I prepare myself if I plan to read it?

Thank you Naureen!!
x. Jessica-Louise .x
Lusting for Blood

Post by x. Jessica-Louise .x »

Well I'm half way through reading marked the first house of night book. I've found it ok so far. I'll probably be done reading it today or tomorrow then I'm thinking of reading either the first black dagger brotherhood book or pretty little liars, but that could change I change my mind a lot.

The lovely bones is fab but very sad. It's a must read though! I really want to read Lucky.

I'm really happy because I finally have my harry potter books back after lending them out like a year or two ago, I'm tempted to re-read them all over again!
Edward, Eммεтт, Jasper, Seth, Ian, Jared,
Dιмιтrι, Mason, Peeta, Rhage, Heath, Erik,
Stark, Dαмεη...Boys in books are just вεттεя
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

I read The Lovely Bones about 5 years ago, but I remember it being really good -- very, very sad -- but good. I thought that it was just so interesting because of the point of view of the main character.

I have read all of the House of Night books, they're OK, but I had a hard time getting into them.

I'm currently reading A Great and Terrible Beauty, it had a bit of a slow start, but it's getting very interesting now. I've heard that it's a trilogy? I guess I'll be reading all of those books now.

I can't wait for Catching Fire, the second book in The Hunger Games series. The last I heard is that it's coming out in September of this year. I'm so excited to read it!! Must keep myself occupied with other books in the mean time . . .
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

I want Catching Fire too!
I just finished Voices by Ursula Le Guin, which was good but not spectacular.

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D