The Gutter Gals & Co. --Innuendo thread for the "older" fan

Addicted
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: The Gutter Gals & Co. --Innuendo thread for the "older" fan

Post by Addicted »

dizzypsy wrote:blue - Yes i have a new drinK!!!!!!
SO Now that Edward can be no longer the 100 year old Virgin Old Fashioned - He is NOW.......Edwards Pale Ale - This sparkly glass is filled to the RIM - Slurp it up fast because round two will have you Screaming!
LOVES IT!!!!

My husband and I met....
I was 17 and had gone to visit my sister in CA for christmas vacation. I was in a random chat room and you know how you always ask people age/sex/location? Well he was 20/male/Fl., so I IM'd him and turned out he had just moved a couple months earlier to about 30 min. away from where I lived. That was Jan. 1st 1998. I got home on the 2nd, invited him over to a friends house(yes 17 year old girls just dont think much when hormones are involved ;)) and the rest is history. We have been married now alittle over 9 years.
I got ALOT of slack from people when we were engaged because of my age, but also because he wasn't the same religion as me(its all good now though). I had prayed about it and I felt good about him.
But, the BEST advice I got was from an old man, who was actually on my side, at church who said "As long as he is your best friend when you marry then that is all that matters." He said that when all is said and done its just gonna be the two of you and as long as you can consider him your best friend then the rest will all work out.
We had a decent small wedding and were later(after MANY life experiences) sealed in the Orlando temple Jan. of 2007.
Who ever is single in here----ENJOY YOUR TIME TO YOURSELF!!!! And when you do find "the one", as long as you can act the same way in front of him as you would your best(girl) friend then it will all be good. :D
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Elizabeth wrote:Hello gals and guys of the gutter!
How did you meet your spouses and where are places you would expect to meet potential prospects of the dating kind?
My husband and I met through a mutual acquaintance. I had run down to a local bar to pick up two girlfriends who were very intoxicated and needed a sober ride home. I went in to look for them, and I bumped into a Marine recruiter, Eric, whom I'd previously met. My friends were still dancing and didn't want to leave for a few songs, so I sat down with Eric and Ben (my husband). It was a completely chance meeting, and I honestly was not fond of him whatsoever when we met. He called me several times after we'd met to go out on a date, and even stopped by a sports bar on my birthday because he knew I'd be there. He was driving me insane. I finally agreed to go on one date with him on the condition that if I still didn't have any interest he would leave me alone. One date was all it took. We had absolutely everything in common and were basically inseperable from then on. We were married less than six months later.
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

How I Met My Hubby:
A few people had already heard my story, so sorry to those people. ;) I met my husband at church when I was 19 and he was almost 22. He was handing out invitations to his wedding, which was two weeks away. When I met him, I had a very strong "feeling" that I would marry him. (Yes, I'm from Utah. Yes, I'm Mormon. No, we don't do polygamy anymore. ;) I always throw that in for a laugh.)

I was a little shocked by that feeling since he was already engaged. But, three days before his wedding, his fiancee called off the wedding. She had been dating someone else secretly and got confused as to whether she wanted to marry my hubby or not. About a month after their breakup, she tried to go back to him, but my hubby wouldn't touch her with a 10-foot pole.

Anyway, we became really good friends and hung out in the same group of friends for about five months when I finally asked him to go out with me. (This is not something that I ever did. I only did it because I had two more very strong "feelings" that I was going to marry him, so I thought I'd better get the ball rolling.) This was in the middle of December 1997. We went on that date, which ended up being our only "official" one.

One of our friends needed to go to Boise to see her aunt. So, he volunteered to drive her and I volunteered to go along. He stayed at his uncle's house with another friend that came along. During the trip, we "hooked" up. This was the weekend of New Year's. After that trip, we were never separated for more than a few hours until 6 months into our marriage because he had to go on a weekend-long class assignment.

We were unofficially engaged the second week of January. This came as quite a shock to both our parents and my family, especially the ones that had just visited for the holidays and knew nothing about him. :lol: We were officially engaged February 11, 1998 and we were married March 14, 1998.
Last edited by jenni_elyse on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
menner
Wandering Through Town

Post by menner »

My Husband and I hated each other for most of our lives. Passion!

We grew up together. Our fathers were both Submariners and our mothers are best friends. So, we were around each other a lot until we moved to Maine from Connecticut. Our families always stayed in touch. Anyway, whenever they came up or we'd go down, most of our time was giving each other hell. I would always get him into trouble, and he would always do anything to irritate me. It really did go beyond playful. He always thought I was a spoiled princess and I always thought he was an obnoxious dork. Neither of us gave each other an after thought.

I went off to college (I'm older) and he was finishing high school when we met up again back in 2000 at his brother's wedding reception. He tried to kiss me and I told him if he ever tried again, I'd kick his butt!!! (I used the other word to get my point across).

Then we didn't see each other or talk at all for 6 years. In July 2006, I went to visit my brother and found out that his brother whose wedding reception I went to was living near my bro. So I went to visit. My husband's younger brother (who most girls go after, because Robert Pattinson kind of looks like him and he is military) gave me his phone number. I called once, but that was it. He didn't answer or called back.

Then in August of that same year, my husband called me out of the blew while I was on a date with my friend's brother (awkward). I was like 'wow...he has a man's voice. what happened to squeaky?' Then I went home to Michigan (where I was living at the time) and we talked everyday on the phone and on the internet cause he was in Colorado.

I went to his brother's house for Thanksgiving of 06 with my brother. That is when he kissed me, and I didn't kick his butt. We were engaged in December and married in February 07. We still make fun of each other and picking on each other. The only difference is it's not hate now, it's love.
"I'll meet you in the water"
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I said I was going to wait a couple of posts before making my own post, but I surely didn't mean a couple of days. Ike hit Missouri around 5am Sunday morning. I've never heard anything like it, and I hope I never ever hear it again. It sounded like tornado winds. I expected the roof to come flying off at any second. I just thank God for friends who don't mind me texting them while at work or sleep. The electricity went out at 6am, and came back today about an hour ago. Yesterday for about 2 hours, Mr. GNE (Let's call him KNE) and I cleaned up the back yard. We only removed the BIG limbs, and it took us 2 hours. Our roof is slightly messed up as well. Most of our town was hit, as were several towns around us all the way to St. Louis.

Enrichment: I read Twilight, NM, & Ec. I closed Ec and came right on line. I joined the Lex that day. In my mind and heart the Lex is right there with my Twilight addiction. I can't mention Twilight without also mentioning the Lex (and of course the Gutter). Not only has my online life changed, I no longer just go to email or Myspace, but I always keep the Lex open, too. Many of my Lex friends have also become my real-life friends. I care about them so much. Through my new friends I have discovered vampire warriors, kitties, wolves, and greek gods. I've also discovered that there are brilliant women all over this globe who love Twilight as much as I do, so I'm not a freak like my husband said I was. I'm honored to be a part of your lives, even if it's just while you are reading my long and rambling posts. *hugs*

How I met KNE: We orginally met in Nov 1993 while I worked in the Sporting Goods section at Wal-Mart. He was a customer. He & his best friend (who was also my friend) came in everyday. I had a crush on KNE because he was obnoxious, but funny. Our friend informed me that KNE was in a relationship and couldn't go out with me. I was only slightly crushed. A few weeks later KNE began working there. This ugly girl followed him around a lot. I put 2 and 2 together and realized she was his gf. We quit speaking to each other.

Fast forward 3 years--> Sept. 1996. I was still at WM, and was returning from sick leave (tonsillectomy). I was in the lounge with my group of friends when I spied KNE sitting in the back alone. I didn't speak to him. That night I went to the club with my friends from work. I dressed especially cute since I'd not been out in a club in 4 years. KNE was there. We were introduced. I was informed that he was a math teacher at the local university. He worked at WM to pay bills. I was polite and then walked off. He found me a few minutes later. I asked about his gf. I was pretty snotty to him. He informed me he had no gf....but he said his "ex" wife was at her mother's. They'd been seperated for a few months, and their divorce was final in just a few days. (No kids) We talk for a while. He buys me drink after drink after drink. We talked all night. . . . I told my mom the next day I would marry him. 2 years 3 months later (Dec 30, 1998), we did.

Ouisa: I wish you & the love of your life a long and happy future.
Bewitched: The carnival??? WOW!!
Jenni: That is one of the best stories I've heard in a long time.

I agree with BlueStarlight. There is no formula. My husband & I hooked up at a bar. However, he & I weren't regulars. It was a fluke. I had given up on finding the right guy. I was 26. He was recently divorced (pretty much) and the last thing he wanted was another relationship. His ex-wife was (and still is) a VERY BAD person. Psycho. Unstable. Ran over a couple of kids while she & her drug dealing bf out ran the cops bad.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Elizabeth, you picked one of my favourite topics to discuss!
Addicted, I'm glad I'm not the only one that met in the way you/I did. ashleygill03 (and others), I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had a surprisingly speedy road from meeting to the altar. BlueStarlight, I totally agree when you say "you just *know* when he's the one" - my mother said the same thing before I met my Mr. Right.
Ok, getting to the actual story ...

I met my husband online.
The funny thing is that it wasn't a dating website or anything. It was 1994 and I wasw new to using this thing called the Internet, so I joined a BBS (remember when that's what they were called?!)
I was just as paranoid then as I am now about giving out private info, so I had a screen name different from my real name. People I'd chat with online would often pry to find out what my real name was. Occasionally, if I thought that a particular online e-pal was safe enough, I'd offer them three guesses; no one ever got it right. One time when chatting online with my now-husband, I asked him why he never pressured me to reveal my real name. He said it was because he knew it already - and he was right! He made all the literary connections that my mind went through to create the ID, and he respected my privacy enough not to ask for it. It was like a computer version of Cinderella's glass slipper!
From e-pals, we became pen-pals. The first time we met in person, I was so anxious / excited / nervous that I worried myself into a migraine and had to leave early - I was cursing myself for blowing it, ("sorry, I have to go, I have a headache" sounds like the lamest excuse in the book!) and the next day, he sent flowers with a note hoping I felt better. We were engaged 3 months after meeting for the first time but had a long engagement (2 years) so both of our families could get used to the idea, since we were both each other's "first" relationship.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

*sigh*

i met my man three years ago. i saw him across the room and knew from the first moment I saw him that he would be mine. he beckoned to me to come see him and i was hooked. he moved in right away.

unfortunately that story is about my cat Knuckles who is the only man in my life these days. don't get me wrong, i love the furball, and he's by and far one of my favourite creatures to cuddle with, and I know that he loves me unconditionally...it's just not the same.

i'm starting to lose faith that i'll find my Edward. i've hit spinster age...36 and unmarried! it's a travesty! :lol: I don't think there's a man out there who can put up with my neuroses. that's why i write...to create men who would fall in love with a hot mess like me. ;)

any single Twilight men out there? :roll:
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Welcome to the Newbies! :D

GNE, I'm glad that you and your hubby are okay after Ike. My sister lives in Conroe, TX, just right outside of Houston. She called me last night to let me know she and her family are okay. However, they're without electricity and runny water for who knows how long. :? I'm just glad no one was seriously hurt, but I wish I could provide them with some electricity or water. I hope anyone else who has been affected by Ike is doing okay and my prayers are with you!

I love hearing everyone's stories! They are so much fun! Ouisa and Oleander, I love your stories as well. Even though, they're not the same, I'm glad you have someone to love and love you in return. I love my kitties and couldn't imagine my life without them.

PS - I love how we're nearly done with our first thread! We can sure talk! :lol:
Last edited by jenni_elyse on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

I love hearing how people met.

Hubby and I met...
I was sort of dating a guy in college and his roommates and my roommates were all friends. We hung out a lot in groups playing board games , watching movies, and such. (I know it sounds cheesy, but we had a lot of fun) The boys had a friend that was coming back to college and was going to be their new roommate because one of their other roommates was moving. So they had mentioned this guy. Well, I was not seriously dating the original guy and all us girls were getting excited for some fresh meat. lol. He came up to school after Christmas break and moved in. We went over to the guys' apartment specifically to meet the new prospect. Well, he sat there at the kitchen table doing homework the entire time. He barely said hello. Ok, who is this dork? Our 2 apartments continued to hang out and do games and stuff and we got to know this new guy a little better. He loosened up and was a nice guy although a little quiet.
One day he called and asked if he could come use our washer and dryer because he didn't want to go to the laundromat. I said sure, I didn't care. He didn't realize I was home alone and felt kind of bad for making me hang around while he was doing his laundry. I didn't care as we started to chat and I started to get to know him better. We talked while he waited for his laundry and I found it so easy and comfortable. I was not a go getter with the boys and I was surprised at how easy it was to talk to him. Needless to say, I developed a bit of a crush on the boy I thought was a "dork". Our apartments continued to hang out and the guy I had been dating a bit started going out with my roommate. I didn't mind, I was ready to move on. I had a new crush. I kept trying to flirt, but I was not terribly good at it. One night we kind of snuggled on the couch while we were all talking and I thought, hmmm, maybe there is something here. A few days later he asked me on our first date. A week later we had our first kiss. A month later we shared "I love you's". Then it was time for school to be out. That summer we kept in contact through letters (it was before email believe it or not). I went to visit him 2 times for a weekend at his parent's house, but he was very honest about the fact that we were not exclusively dating.
That fall when school started back up we started dating again, a little slow at first, but it picked up to where we had been pretty quickly. We became exclusive and got engaged that next February and married in July. And, as a happy side note, the guy I had been dating married my roommate in April of that same year. So it worked out for all of us.
Hubby and I just celebrated 14 years of marriage.

Someone mentioned earlier that I good way to meet people is to do the activities that you enjoy doing. I absolutely agree. Hubby and I met in college and school is a good place to meet. When you get beyond school, continue doing the activities that you like. You will eventually meet someone who is interested in some of the same things you are. It was always a joke in college that you would meet someone at the grocery store. I don't know how you would meet and start dating someone who was shopping at the same store as you, but I guess it could work if needed. :)
by Laniyeah on photobucket
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

this isn't my story, but it's one of my favourites.

a close friend of mine was pretty much sure she would be single forever. she kind of gave up and figured, oh well, if i'm going to be single, i'm not going to lament it forever.

she had to take a firearms course for work (she has to handle antique weapons every now and then) and although she wasn't too thrilled about having to take it, she went. she met this guy there, a military guy who was also taking the course, and they got to chatting (probably because they were the only two people who spoke french in the class). he nervously asked her out, they started dating and even though she was skeptical to his intentions (living so close to a military base we've all had military guy nightmare incidents) they have been together now for over three years. the rest is history.

who would have thought two people would bond over firearms?! i guess love lives in strange places. maybe there's hope for the rest of us?