Gen Y ~ The 20 something's thread

Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Gen Y ~ The 20 something's thread

Post by Ally_Cat »

Congrats Obie!!

Vampire Films

I have to agree that Interview with a Vampire and the original Lost Boys are two of my favorites too.
I also like the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer film. I never got into the Buffy tv series, but I really enjoy the movie that started it all.
Some of my vampire film recommendations, if you haven't seen them- they are more like Buffy and Lost Boys w/ people trying to kill or escape vampires.
1) More adult and weird: From Dusk til Dawn - it features George Clooney, Juliette Lewis, Cheech Marin, Selma Hayek, and Quentin Tarantino. Tarantino was also a writer, not to mention this film is why Tarantino gives me the heeby jeebies.

2) John Carpenter's Vampires - featuring James Wood and a Baldwin brother. It is about a group of vampire hunters working w/ the Vatican. There is more to it than that, but I don't want to give anything away to people who havent seen it and want to.

Lastly vampire books that got turned into to movies that suck: I am Legend! I cannot watch a scene of that movie without groaning or cringing. I understand a few of the changes shorten the learning curver and the story, but most make the story unrecognizable. I read the book after seeing the film to try to understand it better and I absolutely love the book. When I saw the film before reading I thought they were zombies not vampires. They don't even behave the same as the do in the book. I fully recommend the book to anyone who enjoys sci-fi stuff. I read some of the author's (Richard Matheson, known for writting fantasy, sci-fi, & horror btw) and it honestly creeped me out in the "that was a good, effective, and entertaining story" kinda way.
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
ihadanEdwardRush
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ihadanEdwardRush »

OBBIIEEEE!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! OMG! another Obbie will be out soon LOL!
so happy for you! Yay Ninna and You are really Twi-Moms now! Don't leave us here in our thread LOL

*hugs Obie* uhmm can I make a shoutout on FB NOW? :D
Banner by the fabulous MISTY!!! (yeah she rules!)
A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily! <3 my lexlings
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

OBIE! *stomps foot* Are you turning into a full fledged breeder on us??? LOL
YAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! Congrats!!!
If I can get a little..."momish" how will this effect your chemo? Do you have to stop it through the pregnancy or are you done anyway? Just curious...
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

Congrats Obie!!

@Jasmine--If you like Anita Blake, you MUST read Laurel's other series about Merry Gentry--she's a faerie princess who works for a detective agency largely made up of fey creatures. And her entire family wants to kill her. Much smutty goodness, as her magic is centered around it. If you like smut, you'll love them. Plus they've got epic battles with massively evil baddies and stuff to keep you entertained so you don't skip from one steamy scene to the next. So, action + SMUT = one good read. Trust me.

Has anyone ever read anything by Christine Feehan? I absolutely love her Ghostwalker series and her Carpathian novels. One has psychics and smut, the other has vampire-like beings and smut. And the underlying plot is really great. Another favorite author of mine is Marjorie Liu--shapeshifters, psychics, and smut. Anyone sensing a theme here? Haha

As for my fave vampire movies, I am not an Anne Rice fan. The only reason I watched Queen of the Damned was for Stuart Townsend--and I liked his Lestat better than Cruise's. But Lestat is a crappy vampire anyway. I much prefer Louis. So, my faves are:

Dracula
Lost Boys (I had a huge crush on Jason Patric)
Interview With a Vampire
Queen of the Damned

I haven't seen any others that I didn't find super cheesy.

My final remark is this: Why is it impossible to find a kind, intelligent, sweet, cute guy? Because they already have boyfriends.
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
HarriannCullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by HarriannCullen »

Congratulations Obi! That is wicked news!

I must apologise to you all, I am limiting my time on the internet, to try and salvage my relationship!
Hard work and complicated.
Hope you are all well XXX
Thank you threethings for the banners x
Midnight Sun virign, as it isn't perfect yet.
Nocturnal Lure

Post by Nocturnal Lure »

Morning lexlot,

Since some of you have claimed to have seen too few vamp flicks to make a decent top five I will post a list of recomendations of a vampire fanatic... me. In completely random order.

Blade, I think almost everybody has seen these. In my book one of the best horror/ action cross-overs. Blade 2 directed by Guillermo Del Torro seems to be an aquired taste and is my fave of the series. Trinity has the least appeal in for me and seems to be little more then milking the franchise.
Near Dark, THE vampire love story untill Twilight came along. Boy meets girl, girl bites boy, boy fights for his life and his love.
(Bram Stokers) To die for, Not the Nicole Kidman flick. An oldie, rather cheesie but the love story in it got to me.
Underworld, come on you've seen this right, you haven't? Go and rent it, it's good, sequells and all.
Nightlife (1989) Again with the romance, it was a very enjoyable movie at the time.
Nosferatu, eine symphonie des grauens (1922) The first vampire movie, basically Stokers original story but with all the names changed due to copyright issues. It kinda sucks but a vampire enthousiast must know it's roots. And makes the next one make more sense.
Shadow of the Vampire, Willem Dafoe and John Malkovich star in this movie which speculates how Max Schreck, the actor who played count Orlock in Nosferatu is an actual vampire feeding on the film crew. Brilliantly done.
The Legend of the seven Golden Vampires, Historically a unique production where the run off the mill Kung Fu productions get mixed with run-off-the-mill vampire flicks during the seventies.
Perfect Creature Takes some getting into but this crossbreed between blade and equillibrium is original and well produced and well worth a watch.
Fright Night Named earlier, part one is a good mix between humor and 80's horror, part deux is better left unseen.
The Lost Boys Great soundtrack, nice story, sexy lady and goodlooking boys make for a typical 80's movie with more vallue then just Nostalgia. Part 2 leave it be.
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola version) Erotic, romantic feverish and fingerlicking good, stunning visuals. Interesting to know that all the special effects have been done with technology availlable at the time in which the story takes place, Coppola's son. It comes very close to the book as well, though the love story between Mina and Dracula is mostly Coppola's interpretation.

I think most here have seen the Anne Rice adaptations, so I won't bother with those.

Off course there are many more, hope you find the list usefull in updating your Vampire movie experience. Maybe next time I will post the really cheesy list. :D

Love, Nocturnal Lure

May the moon light your path
HarriannCullen

Post by HarriannCullen »

Blade The trilogy was awesome beyond compare, Wesley Snipes, is definately a vamp I wouldn't mind in my room
Near Dark Haven't seen this one :oops:
(Bram Stokers) To die for Not seen this one either :oops:
Underworld Kate Beckinsale, is hot!
Nightlife (1989) Can't say I have seen this one either :oops:
Nosferatu, eine symphonie des grauens (1922) Again, not see this one :oops:
Shadow of the Vampire, Would love to see this one :D
The Legend of the seven Golden Vampires,Definately not see this one
Perfect Creature Nope nor seen this one, (hardly the horror fan I claim to be!)
Fright Night Absolutely the best flick, I have ever seen, I am obsessed with it, have the soundtrack on my phone! I love it!
The Lost Boys Another awesome film with a wicked soundtrack! Kiefer Sutherland is hot
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola version) I'm nit sure I have seen this one, sounds familiar though.

I have seen Dracula http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103874/ with Gary Oldman in (Sirius Black in HP), completely love him and this film! Oooooooo
Nocturnal Lure

Post by Nocturnal Lure »

HarriannCullen wrote:Blade
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola version) I'm nit sure I have seen this one, sounds familiar though.

I have seen Dracula http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103874/ with Gary Oldman in (Sirius Black in HP), completely love him and this film! Oooooooo
One and the same ;)

Gary Oldman is one of my all time favorite actors BTW.
HarriannCullen

Post by HarriannCullen »

I think I am in love with him.
He is suck an awesome actor, proving he can work in different fields by popping up in "Friends" as a drunken actor!
Fantastic!
Nocturnal Lure

Post by Nocturnal Lure »

HarriannCullen wrote:I think I am in love with him.
He is suck an awesome actor, proving he can work in different fields by popping up in "Friends" as a drunken actor!
Fantastic!
He does however tend to die a lot. The scarlet letter being one of the rare exceptions. He always strikes me as a very friendly and gentle person when I see him in interviews and such.

Hehehe, I am once again busy desiging tattoos for colleagues, if everybody fulfulls their part of the bargain I will have a nice stash of whisky comming my way.