Rob's Halfway House (HH #6)

Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Halfway House Annex **Eclipse Spoilers**

Post by Brienna »

I'm sorry, but I did think the Jacob 'hotter' line was funny. It could be explained two ways and I loved it. Off course, he isn't hotter at all, but the line... Yes, I liked it.

I expected more of Bree in the movie, but that probably was because of the Bree Tanner book.
Bella leaving with Jake on the bike, didn't feel believable because of the book, she wouldn't do that!
Bryce did a good job, but she just isn't Rachelle... I thought Rachelle was way better.
Only in the training/fight scene I thought Bella's wig was off. The rest of the movie it didn't bother me.
Shame it wasn't more obvious that Bella was actually devastated after having left Jacob in the end. I would have loved to see all of that on screen (crying in the car, Edward comforting her).
Actually I didn't like the fact that Edward got mad/aggressive. I thought it was so well written in the book. He is so perfect, dunno, it took away the perfect-ness for me a bit. To be honest, for me, it was the only thing in movie which I disliked very, very, much, the rest are just things I noticed, but didn't bum me out as much.

I loved all the Bella-Edward scenes. Didn't want to watch (but of course did) at the Jacob-Bella kiss.
The fighting practice! Jasper is definitely my favorite character besides the three leads in this movie. He did so well! Alice and he had great chemistry, they were so good together.
Charlie was perfect!
So glad that the campfire-legends-scene was shorter. I always skip that part in the book :roll:
The Cullens were great! Finally some film-time for them. The wolf-pack was great! Not very much people agreeing with me, but I did think the wolves were better than last movie.

Rest I can't think of right now, I have to watch the movie again.!
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Brienna - I always skim through the campfire legends in the book too!! Now that you mention Edward getting SO angry - I see what you mean about it spoiling Edward. That little scene was very abrupt in the movie - all of a sudden - there's fury! Caryn - what do you think about Robward's anger here??
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

I actually loved that he got angry. In the book I was a bit upset that Edward didn't show a bit more emotion and I was disgusted at Charlies reaction in the book ("Way to go kid") UGH! He forced a kiss on your daughter and you praise him for it?? Not so much....

So it was really great for me to see SOMEONE get P.O'd and stick up for Bella!

And you have to admit that Robward jealous is hawt!! :twisted:

"You will always be the most beautiful thing in my world" ~~Edward Cullen
Banner by me :)
newtonscricket
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by newtonscricket »

Well, I loved it!

I've only seen it once and I know I can't remember everything perfectly. I also purposely did not reread Eclipse beforehand so I could enjoy the movie without making constant comparisons.

What stands out:

loved Jasper! Jackson REALLY impressed me with almost every line, starting with "after all, how many times are we going to graduate" :lol: Didn't much like his hair in the stills, but was amazed at how good it looked in the movie. Loved his backstory, love the Alice and Jasper fight.....and kiss! <melts>

loved the graduation speech.......Jessica Stanley as valedictorian is an interesting choice (although a "small pond" can produce some interesting results as I know from my own experience). I think everyone just loves Anna Kendrick [~to~] (I know I do!) so much they wanted to give her a little more. Excellent lead in to the theme of making the decision.....and not the decision between Edward and Jacob, the decision between human life and vampire immortality.

loved the scene in Florida with Renee, first teariness.

thought the addition of Riley as missing person backstory was brilliant, allowing for Charlie to say he would never give up looking if it was Bella ...more teariness (dammit, teary just typing about it). Billy Burke rocked every scene he was in....."You need to take precautions, " talk was perfection!

Gil Birmingham also rocked big time, he was so powerful even though a relatively small part.

wolf boys seemed even wolfier and LEAH WAS PERFECT!

Taylor was wonderful, that boy is more than just a set of pretty abs.

Almost goes without saying that Rob and Kristen were wonderful. Leg hitch scene literally made me lightheaded. Proposal was wonderful (running out of superlatives here).

However, all was not faultless for me....

I love Bryce Dallas Howard, I really do. She is in one of favorite scenes in all of moviemaking history (romantic scene in "The Village") and I thought she did a really good job. BUT. Rachelle Lefevre would have been better. She would have.

And even with everything I loved about this movie, I actually liked New Moon more (and New Moon is actually my least favorite of the books!) Maybe I can tell you why once I have Eclipse on DVD and can watch one right after the other. Maybe I'll feel differently after multiple viewings. Maybe I'm just a traditional movie girl and Chris Weitz's old school style works better for me than "edginess" (going off things I've seen written about the directors, I'm not skilled enough to actually SEE such differences consciously). I think this movie would've been better if Chris Weitz had directed it. Who knows?

I have total confidence in Breaking Dawn though....it's my favorite book and Bill Condon has made two movies I adore (and one I'll probably adore once I get around to seeing it). Oh the delayed gratification! At least I'll finally have time to watch every single Eclipse press junket interview while we wait.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Susie wrote:Brienna - I always skim through the campfire legends in the book too!! Now that you mention Edward getting SO angry - I see what you mean about it spoiling Edward. That little scene was very abrupt in the movie - all of a sudden - there's fury! Caryn - what do you think about Robward's anger here??
TammyAZ wrote:I actually loved that he got angry. In the book I was a bit upset that Edward didn't show a bit more emotion and I was disgusted at Charlies reaction in the book ("Way to go kid") UGH! He forced a kiss on your daughter and you praise him for it?? Not so much....

So it was really great for me to see SOMEONE get P.O'd and stick up for Bella!

And you have to admit that Robward jealous is hawt!! :twisted:
Susie~ As you asked, like I said earlier, I really was torn. On the one hand, one of the many many many reasons I love Edward Cullen is how amazingly toughtful of Bella he is. She is always his first priority, no matter what. Edward's reaction to Jacob's assault on Bella in the books is a perfect example of this. He has literally just accepted that Bella believes she'll be safe with Jacob and so he openly accepts her spending time with him, despite what he knows of Jacob's motives. Literally as soon as that happens, Jacob assaults Bella, hurts her and abuses her trust. But, he also knows that Bella is not going to hold Jacob responsible the way that she should because of her connection with him. He delivers his warning in a way that shows Bella that he respects her choice, shows Jacob that he's not threatened by him but he will protect Bella and shows Charlie who the bigger man is. It's actually, for me, one of Edward's shining moments.

At the same time, I completely get where Tammy is coming from. Jacob just assaulted Bella. He hurt her. Charlie's reaction is downright scary in the books (I'm REALLY REALLY glad they made that change in the film!!) And, Edward knows that Bella cannot really defend herself against him. How can he not get mad?? It's not about getting posessive of Bella, it's about standing up and letting Jacob know in a way he understands that his assinine behavior won't be tolerated and, also, about letting Bella know that someone will defend her.

All that being said, I really felt like the movie married both of those concepts. Rob and David both said in interviews that Edward in the films was opening up a little, getting more in touch with his human side. He's still reserved and controlled Edward, but he is also more open. Susie~ The suddeness feeling may be because of the way the scene happens. We don't see the build up. In the novel, Bella calls Edward when she gets home, so he's been informed and his anger ramps up. In the book, we dont' see the build up. We see the punch and Bella's pain, and then BAM!! There they are and here comes FierceWard!!! If we fill in the blanks of what we don't see, the fury makes a crapton of sense. Bella likely calls Edward as Jacob is driving her home. Edward tears bum to get to the house asap and as he drives, his only thought is how the person Edward trusted to help protect Bella has hurt her and she is defenseless against it. He knows he can't hurt Jacob because that would hurt Bella. But, he sure as hell can deliver a message.

The confrontation, I thought, was staged well; Edward speeding up just as they arrive and for a split second dropping his human facade to get to Bella & Jacob as fast as only he can. He's angry, so it takes him a minute to get himself back under control. And he immediately puts himself NEXT TO Bella, not between them. He's not angry at Jake for kissing her. He's angry at him for doing it against her will, knowing she really can't fight back. I think that is the key to the scene. He doesn't say, "if you ever touch her again..." He says, "if you ever touch her AGAINST HER WILLl again...". It really shows that his anger is over Jacob's betrayal of Bella and not that he's being posessive. Also, I think the fact that Edward pulls back and calms some as soon as Bella puts herself between them plays a part in how the scene comes across. If Edward was just pissed and reacting because Jacob kissed Bella, if he was being a posessive jackapes, it would be different. But, those subtle nuances keep the scene grounded in who Edward essentially is while making him a little more human and relateable.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

I thought in the movie it lacked the intensty between Edward and Bella about going down there
how amazingly toughtful of Bella he is. She is always his first priority, no matter what. Edward's reaction to Jacob's assault on Bella in the books is a perfect example of this. He has literally just accepted that Bella believes she'll be safe with Jacob and so he openly accepts her spending time with him, despite what he knows of Jacob's motives. Literally as soon as that happens, Jacob assaults Bella, hurts her and abuses her trust. But, he also knows that Bella is not going to hold Jacob responsible the way that she should because of her connection

In the book Edward only agreed to her going to La Push I don't think he ever accepted it. Remember that he got a motorcycle in the book. He only openly accepts her desision to appease Bella by his actions from the truck dismantling and the sleep overs with Alice. Rob played Edward excellently but I loved it when he went off on Jacob. I only wish the tent scene was not so lopsided in favor of Jacob. That really showed the immaturity of Jacob but was lost in mood of Jacob naked body to everyone in my theaters that I went too. There were too many pro Jacobs and not enough of Edward. This book really showed how much Edward loved Bella and at times I could see the silent chuckles of Edward in the tent and would liked to see more of the difference in age, knowledge and his way of turning Jacob into the spoilt brat that he was in the book

I totally agree with you Caryn on Charlies reaction to Jacob kissing Bella I wanted more of the negative instead of Way to Go Jacob ! Other parts with Charlie were great.. Loved him and Billy Black when he shooked Carylisle 's hand.
Dakota Fanning was suberb as Jane. She is such a great talent and so young . Nailed it you could really see the evil in her.
I still need to see it more to say something about Bella' I didn't get the attraction with Jacob too. He (Taylor) has such a baby face that I just can't see the sexuality about him It wasn't as intense and believable as the book was.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Tammy - Thanks for the perspective!

Caryn - A+ AGAIN on your essay. I forgot about how Edward is protecting Bella from a Werewolf that can do serious damage. I think we forget that angle because we just see Jacob.

Diane - Tent scene favoring Jake - I think that was so that we'd see Bella with him constantly in the shot. But you're right, there could have been a camera shift to show Edward full on.
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I think one of the funniest and best scenes was the scene with Charlie and Bella having THE talk and her stressing that she is a virgin and Charlie liking Edward because of that.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

I thoroughly enjoyed Eclipse! We saw the movie Wednesday evening in a completely sold out theater and people started lining up 1-1/2 hours before the show. We had fourteen in our “group”, some of whom I met for the first time that night, but we managed to find a couple of rows of great seats together. You guys have already stated so eloquently the things I loved about this movie. I'll leave you with a few random thoughts that hopefully aren't a repeat of what's already been posted.

~I liked that the movie was sort of book-ended by scenes of Edward and Bella in the meadow. The scenes were beautifully shot and I loved how the instrumental version of “All Yours” during that scene transitioned nicely into the soundtrack version shown during the credits. I mentioned over on the other thread that “All Yours” is now my favorite song from the soundtrack because the lyrics perfectly convey what Bella's going through, and I loved the song placement at the end of the movie. I also liked Bella's monologue and the idea that she's not changing just for Edward, but also for herself. We've mentioned numerous times how Bella has never really fit in as a human, not in Arizona, and not really in Forks either. It was kind of like a “girl power” speech but I thought it suited movie Bella perfectly, and ought to somewhat ease Edward's fears and doubts about changing Bella for the wrong reasons.

~I loved Jasper's and Rosalie's backstories and thought MR and DS did an excellent job here, as well as the actors involved. Jasper and Alice were just so adorable together, and I thought Bella and Jasper had a nice scene together as well. It was great to see all the Cullens, but especially Jackson Rathbone get more screen time as they deserved.

~Seth was a cutie and just as I imagined from the book. :D I thought Boo Boo :lol: did a nice job and liked his rapport with Jacob.

~The tent scene was realistic and believable with great acting by both Rob and Taylor. I imagine they'll have a number of scenes together in Breaking Dawn and this reassures me that both actors will definitely carry their weight in those scenes.

~Fierceward.......Rawwwwrrrrrrr! 8-) Need I say more?

~I loved Charlie's and Alice's little moment together, and it was something we should have already seen in New Moon. I do think Alice has Charlie wrapped around her little marble finger ;) .

~I was glad they explained the idea of imprinting to some degree, as it will ease the transition to Breaking Dawn. Maybe they'll have time in the early scenes of Breaking Dawn to mention Quil imprinting on Claire, to pave the way for the kind of icky factor of Jake imprinting on his former love interest's newborn baby :lol: .

~I was happy to see Edward's eyes obviously black, to convey the fact that he hadn't fed because of trying to protect Bella. Again...something they should have shown in New Moon (reunion scene), but at least they got it right this time.

~I thought the training and fighting scenes were top notch and could watch them repeatedly, especially set to music. The Cullens, the newborns, the wolves, and the stunts all looked impressive, although I do wish we'd seen Edward “tear Victoria to pieces”. Although Emmett didn't have more spoken lines than in the the previous two films, I loved his screen presence during the fighting scenes, and especially the scene when the Cullens chased Victoria into the wolves' territory.

~I loved the poignant scenes of Bella interacting with her parents, and especially the quilt her Mom gave her as a birthday gift. :( Newjen, I probably would have lost it too, except for the fact that the theater was full and people sometimes whispered loudly during these quiet and emotional scenes.

~The leg hitch scene :o ......oh dear Lord.....where is our gif?

~The proposal scene almost brought me to tears. Rob and Kristen's acting was excellent and elevated what could easily have been corny into a lovely, tender, and heartfelt scene. Bella's ring looked prettier and more delicate in the movie than it had previously in still shots.

I had a few small complaints, but nothing that detracted significantly from my enjoyment of the movie:

~I completely agree with a couple of you who have already lamented the fact that they played “Let's Get Lost” during the wrong scene. That song is so sensual and lovely; I thought it might be played during the leg hitch scene. It really didn't fit well when Bella rode off with Jacob on the motorcycle (I think that's where it was played?)

~As much as I loved the meadow scenes, I wish Edward had tried to “seduce” Bella in the second meadow scene. That's one of my favorite scenes from the book and would have given us a small taste of what to hopefully expect in Breaking Dawn.

~I thought Riley (Xavier Samuel) was great, but I never could get used to Bryce Dallas Howard as Victoria. I just don't think she seemed quite as fierce or menacing or maniacal as Rachelle, I guess.

~I didn't see any bonding between Bella and Angela, or Edward and Seth. I guess there are just too many time constraints to develop or explore every relationship that exists in the books.

~It did seem as if Bella had an easier time “choosing” Edward in the movie than in the book, by the end. As difficult as it was to read and as badly as I felt for Edward, I was looking forward to the scene where Bella is nearly inconsolable and Edward drives her home and stays with her all night, comforting her. It would have been neat to see if Rob and Kristen could have pulled off that scene. I also wish they could have incorporated Bella's “vision” of her future children with Jake into the movie. Although it might have been a difficult scene to film and place appropriately within the movie, I think it deserved a place. I always found that scene somewhat heartbreaking in the book, although I think it represented Bella beginning to give true weight and consideration to what exactly she was giving up to spend eternity with Edward.

Jeez.....sorry for the mega post!
Banner by TammyAZ
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I've been thinking a lot about Bella's end monologue about her reasons for her choices. Again, giving praise to MR is a difficult thing for me to do. But, I think a part of the beauy of Bella's closing remarks is that, in my opinion, they can actually be interpreted a few different ways, depending on your point of view. Some hear Bella telling Edward that, while she loves him, she also wants to be changed for her own reasons, for her own growth. I think that is a good interpretation, particularly if one believes that doing something purely for the love and happiness of another might not be the best motivation.

But, I also think it can be interpreted another way. When I listened to Bella's words, I heard a slightly different focus. You see, I am one of those who truly believes that Bella & Edward were quite literally born for one another, fated to be together in every way. From that perspective, what I hear Bella saying to Edward is that his world has always been where she was meant to be, that in his world and with him is where she feels strongest, most confident and whole. So, when he says to her, "So this isn't all about me?", her answer is essentially, "it's about US".

I'm still not really sure how I feel about not including the flash to Bella's possible future with Jacob. I've always felt like Jacob was much less a rival for Bella's affections than a reminder of what she would give up to be with Edward. In that, I always saw Bella as completely resolute in her choice. After reading Eclipse, I couldn't truly bring myself to get worked up about the whole "who will she choose" question, because there never was a choice. It was a process of letting go, of accepting and saying goodbye. But, there wasn't really ever a choice. So, while I do think maybe they could have acknowledged her acceptance of that sacrifice a little more, I'm not particularly married to how they could have done it. Yes, the "future flash" could be a good way to do it. Better, I think than her night of crying over Jacob. But either, I suppose, would suffice.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS