Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Post by Tornado »

I loved that scene. The look on Robward's face was priceless!
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

smitten_by_twilight wrote:
Openhome wrote:I can say that my favorite part of that new ending was the fact that Edward DIDN'T say "Goodbye, Jacob, my brother...my son."
Completely agree with you, hon. That's one of the awkwardest lines in the whole series, meant to be touching but instead just wierd. One of the times when Melissa's lines are much better. "Can I call you Dad now?" "No."
I completely agree with you, my sisters, my daughters.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

corona wrote: I completely agree with you, my sisters, my daughters.
Um, thanks? :shock: :sick: :banghead: :sick:
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

corona wrote:
Openhome wrote:I can say that my favorite part of that new ending was the fact that Edward DIDN'T say "Goodbye, Jacob, my brother...my son."
Completely agree with you, hon. That's one of the awkwardest lines in the whole series, meant to be touching but instead just wierd. One of the times when Melissa's lines are much better. "Can I call you Dad now?" "No."
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

In the movie the line never would have worked, but in the book, I've always found it very poignant myself. (Sorry, Kayla!)

I must say that in every viewing so far, the 'twist' hasn't lost it's punch. I still lose my mind at that first beheading. I've just started regaining it quicker. But, I also still cry at the moment between Edward and Carlisle. This entire Saga, for me, is viewed through Edward's lens, and it is that moment that holds my heart.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Jazz Girl wrote:I must say that in every viewing so far, the 'twist' hasn't lost it's punch. I still lose my mind at that first beheading. I've just started regaining it quicker. But, I also still cry at the moment between Edward and Carlisle. This entire Saga, for me, is viewed through Edward's lens, and it is that moment that holds my heart.
JG, I had a theory awhile ago that, since SM was producer on this, BD the movie was going to end up being her final true canon, the re-edited version.

That was an amazing scene between Edward and Carlisle. That is the true canon. This is the story that needed to be told.

I think we need a revised edition of the book.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

corona - SM has said that she was virtually a producer on Eclipse as well, she just wasn't on set every day. I think it was the gentle touch of Bill Condon that made it a lot better this time, rather than the I-can't-cope-with-romance-stuff-because-I-do-violence-and-pain-better approach of David Slade.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

corona wrote:Hello Openhome and December, it's been a long time!

I am placed in an unusual position here. It's usually someone else that tells me to wave the hand and not worry about things fitting exactly.

As far as Nessie vs. Wolves, same effect on Alice's visions, but I always thought the wolves were especially disruptive, winking in and out of existence as magical creatures.

December, Tornado, good points about the limits on Alice's visions. Stephenie does appear to have tried, even in the books, to push a little on those limitations that the half-breeds introduce.

However, the bottom line, in my opinion, is that they just threw that canon out like yesterday's garbage. The utility of blocks in Alice's visions had outrun its usefulness, at least as far as the movie.

Amanda Beth, same here, that's my exact opinion.

They wanted a battle, so they got one. Pure and simple.

Stephenie might try to retrofit an explanation. It would be a delicious lie, and I'll love her for it. She's the author, so her explanation would have to be accepted as canon, but she would be a beautiful liar. Except, she can't be, she's the author. I love it.
Well, it looks like SM answered you, Corona. http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/index.htm ... um=twitter
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I knew she said she was going to post something! I literally just checked her website this morning for an update!
"I would have killed more Cullens." :swoon: My heart still hurts whenever I picture Carlisle and Jasper's demise, I wouldn't have been able to take anymore!
Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Violet Sunlight »

Tornado wrote:corona - SM has said that she was virtually a producer on Eclipse as well, she just wasn't on set every day. I think it was the gentle touch of Bill Condon that made it a lot better this time, rather than the I-can't-cope-with-romance-stuff-because-I-do-violence-and-pain-better approach of David Slade.
So, agree. Not only was it great to have the Author/Creator of the Twilight Universe on set, it was truly a sweet gift to have an Oscar winning Director's talents on the project. The collaboration between them was phenomenal and their work truly was first class. :clap:
corona wrote:
TOO funny. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I too don’t think this line would have worked in the movie. I do, however, think it works in the book. Edward said it right before he thought he was never going to see Jacob & Renesmee again and right before he thought it was the end for him and Bella. I thought it was a nice balance to Bella’s goodbye.
corona wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:I must say that in every viewing so far, the 'twist' hasn't lost it's punch. I still lose my mind at that first beheading. I've just started regaining it quicker. But, I also still cry at the moment between Edward and Carlisle. This entire Saga, for me, is viewed through Edward's lens, and it is that moment that holds my heart.
JG, I had a theory awhile ago that, since SM was producer on this, BD the movie was going to end up being her final true canon, the re-edited version.

That was an amazing scene between Edward and Carlisle. That is the true canon. This is the story that needed to be told.

I think we need a revised edition of the book.
Good theory. Great way of putting it. Thank goodness she gave us this, sort of like a farewell gift a VERY nice farewell gift.
Jazz Girl wrote: I must say that in every viewing so far, the 'twist' hasn't lost it's punch. I still lose my mind at that first beheading. I've just started regaining it quicker.
Agree. Every time I see Carlisle jump in the air I look away and I'm pretty much squirming in my seat for the rest of it.
Amanda Beth wrote:I knew she said she was going to post something! I literally just checked her website this morning for an update!
"I would have killed more Cullens." :swoon: My heart still hurts whenever I picture Carlisle and Jasper's demise, I wouldn't have been able to take anymore!
Me TOO. :swoon: Me TOO. :swoon: I really think this was SM’s way of saying, for all those who criticized the anti-climatic ending of the book, here you go. Meanwhile, the rest of us are screaming nooooooo.

Errant question: Besides Jacob & Renesmee, I wonder who else was going to survive from the Cullen side?

[**EDIT**] Edited my misspelled words. It was bugging me.
Last edited by Violet Sunlight on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Openhome wrote:
corona wrote:Stephenie might try to retrofit an explanation. It would be a delicious lie, and I'll love her for it. She's the author, so her explanation would have to be accepted as canon, but she would be a beautiful liar. Except, she can't be, she's the author. I love it.
Well, it looks like SM answered you, Corona. http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/index.htm ... um=twitter
Yes she did, and I'm actually glad she decided not to offer a bizarre retrofit explanation per Alice's visions and Nessie and the wolfpack, although I would have enjoyed the attempt.

She actually drops one final tidbit I found interesting. The Volturi were outnumbered in the book (vamps + wolves) and potentially outmatched as well (contingent on Cullen allies strategy and proper use of talents), but SM kept saying how things would not have turned out well, that the Cullens would have ultimately lost. That suggested to me that the Volturi Guard were just that good, the best of the best as far as fighting ability.

Stephenie confirms that and also confirms that talents would be removed from the battle as well, meaning Jane and Alec and Bella and Zafrina, the primary offensive and defensive talents. So, Stephenie saw the battle beginning with a blitz on Bella that is ultimately successful, but likely not before Jane and Alec are also taken out, otherwise the battle would NOT end with "brute force".

There is another bend of the canon. It's difficult to portray the relative fighting skill levels of the two teams on the field, so they simply added a lot more numbers to the Volturi side to show how the Cullens would be outmatched.

I've only seen the movie once, and I don't remember if Alec bites the dust, but the wiki says he did. So the battle deaths (as envisioned by Stephenie) appear to follow proper order, Jane and Alec first and then ultimately Bella, although hers is only suggested by the oncoming guard at the end of the vision.

This was a well thought out battle scene. I love it when things work on multiple levels. As we know, dismembered vampires can be put back together again as long as they aren't burned. This is one little detail the canon fans are quite aware of, even though it has never been depicted. Not much time to burn body parts when engaged in a battle. Bella does take the time, though, when she and Edward take Aro apart. That's great for the cinematic visual, but also great for the canon fans who would quibble (I know I would) if Aro had fallen but we hadn't seen him get burned. Aro has to burn. Thank you Bill and Melissa and Stephenie. It is appreciated.