Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
cascsiany
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Twilight Movie~Actors' Performances

Post by cascsiany »

I thought the cast did pretty well. My favorite's were Kellan and Ashley.

I can kinda see where Kristen was coming from playing Bella. Bella is the quiet type that doesn't like attention. She's completely selfless and doesn't want to be taken care of. The attention is really a turn off for her and so she kinda goes into shut down mode. She doesn't want the attention and so she answers in low voices devoid of emotion because showing emotions through your voice raises a lot of questions.
EDC, Inc... Crane Trainee
Team Rosalie ~ Every Rose has its Thorn
"We can find some other way to pick a fight with this Demetri."~ Emmett, NM p. 534
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

I'm sorry, but I thought the acting was weird. It wasn't bad, I just think it was a little in the wrong direction. The characters of Alice and Edward both came off as strange. They didn't make the impression that I thought that they should.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
#1twi-guy

Post by #1twi-guy »

All of the Cullens were perfect!
Carlisle (Peter) - if that's not a sophisticated vampire, I don't know what is.
Esme (Elizabeth) - she was so sweet and motherly, just like I pictured her.
Alice (Ashley) - omg, she was amazing! Alice is my fave character, so I loved her in the movie.
Jasper (Jackson) - from seeing the pictures, I thought he'd be a little dry, but he was good!
Emmett (Kellan) - just as goofy as I imagined. Haha
Rosalie (Nikki) - never really liked the character, but I kinda liked the wickedness in the movie.

I also thought that Bella's friends were awesome! They were so funny!
Mike (Michael) - he was hilarious! Not really how I pictured him, but he was good!
Jessica (Anna) - hahaha wow. She was perfect for Jessica. "This dress makes my boobs look good" lol.
Angela (Christian) - a little geekier than I imagined, but she was pretty much Angela.
Eric (Justin) - I liked how he was like the kid in school whose in everyones business. Haha
Tyler (Gregory) - haha I loved the scene where he was trying to talk to Charlie

The nomads were also good. I liked how creepy they were!
James (Cam) - he was so creepy! I loved the final fight scene.
Victoria (Rachelle) - loved her. Exactly how I imagined, and she's a good actress
Laurent (Edi) - I thought he played the character pretty good! He brought that sophisticated side to Laurent.

Other characters like Charlie, Billy, and Jacob were also good. I loved the scene where Billy was chasing Charlie around in his wheel chair. Hahaha They're like little kids!

And finnaly, I loved Rob and Kristen's chemistry. They were Edward and Bella. Seriously.

Sorry for the long post!
I just really loved this movie :mrgreen:

The original twi-guy.
While people obsess over Edward, I have a thing for Alice. Hehe
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

i thought the acting was phenomenal, especially the Cullens.
They barely had any lines in the movie but their presense was not ignored. I ESPECIALLY loved all their reactions to the car scene. Jasper's expression was flawless, showing such shock at the situation and Rosalie did an INCREDIBLE job showing anger and contempt towards Edward.

I also have to defend Kristen for those who thought she'd do terrible. I thought she was perfect- her ability to convey stress and uncertainty in school was great. You could also see the frustration and angst that i always imagined Bella having especially in the office scene with her and Edward. Before Kristen's about to storm out of the office she has such a frustrated and on the verge of crying look on her face that i think was PERFECT- very Bella. I also enjoyed the desperation she conveyed, in the restaurant once Edward admits that he can't stay away from her and she responds "Then don't", there was so much emotion in her eyes- i really enjoyed it :D

I also really enjoyed every second of Bella and Edward together- you could feel the chemistry, the longing to be with one another.In the beginning they showed alot of awkwardness but i thought that's exaclty how it SHOULD be. Edward nor Bella has ever been close to someone of the opposite sex, so the fact that you could see the awkwardness between them was great.
I almost cried when Edward was about to take the venom out of Bella's system; Rob's depiction of pain and trying to get control of himself was so great. I loved the desperation he conveyed and i think he did an excellent job of displaying Edward's dependence on Carlisle to tell him what to do.

"I'm going to make it go away, Bella"

i died on that part- so heart-wrenching. Kristen also did such an excellent job of displaying the agonizing pain that Bella was enduring...both such phenomenal actors in my opinion. I also LOVED Rob's song playing during that scene...definitely boosted the intensity of the scene. I also loved how they converyed a flashback of Edward with Bella while Edward was trying to stop sucking Bella's blood....basically that scene in the movie had me sold. Twilight was awesome.
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
fueledbyedward
Settled in Forks

Post by fueledbyedward »

Robert, Robert, Robert. I think they chose the right actor looks wise, but that's about it. Robert is undeniably gorgeous and his crooked smile is absolutely stunning, but it's not enough to excuse his acting. He did not capture Edward's character as well as he should have. But the blame can only go so far because he didn't write the script or direct the movie. Catherine Hardwicke is to blame for that. She really destroyed Edward's character. Would he have grabbed her arm like that the way he did before the "meadow" scene? No. He would have left her arm covered in bruises (that really, really bothered me), and he just wouldn't have ever even dared to touch her that way. Would he have left her dangling in a tree without holding on to her for dear life? No. Would he have left her immediately after the accident with Tyler? No. She just did not consider Edward's overprotective, affectionate nature, and for that his performance as Edward suffered. But Robert has incredibly tough shoes to fill, and for that I give him credit. But he had better step it up for New Moon.

They definitely could have done a better job with the development of the characters. We barely got to know any of the Cullens, aside from Edward. It was a little disappointing. It's hard to belive Catherine Hardwicke actually read the books.
Last edited by fueledbyedward on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I just saw the movie today and I loved it, my son even had a good time. I'm going to keep it short, I think everyone did a great job, but I do have to comment on Kristen.

I was actually surprised by my toughts of Kristen as Bella. When I saw other movies that she was in and some of the interviews, I was like she no where is close to being Bella. I was wrong, I think she did a good job and I actually liked her performance :shock: . Shocking for me to admit.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
*TwilightIsMyDrug*

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

mlola619 wrote:i thought the acting was phenomenal, especially the Cullens.
They barely had any lines in the movie but their presense was not ignored. I ESPECIALLY loved all their reactions to the car scene. Jasper's expression was flawless, showing such shock at the situation and Rosalie did an INCREDIBLE job showing anger and contempt towards Edward.

I also have to defend Kristen for those who thought she'd do terrible. I thought she was perfect- her ability to convey stress and uncertainty in school was great. You could also see the frustration and angst that i always imagined Bella having especially in the office scene with her and Edward. Before Kristen's about to storm out of the office she has such a frustrated and on the verge of crying look on her face that i think was PERFECT- very Bella. I also enjoyed the desperation she conveyed, in the restaurant once Edward admits that he can't stay away from her and she responds "Then don't", there was so much emotion in her eyes- i really enjoyed it :D

I also really enjoyed every second of Bella and Edward together- you could feel the chemistry, the longing to be with one another.In the beginning they showed alot of awkwardness but i thought that's exaclty how it SHOULD be. Edward nor Bella has ever been close to someone of the opposite sex, so the fact that you could see the awkwardness between them was great.
I almost cried when Edward was about to take the venom out of Bella's system; Rob's depiction of pain and trying to get control of himself was so great. I loved the desperation he conveyed and i think he did an excellent job of displaying Edward's dependence on Carlisle to tell him what to do.

"I'm going to make it go away, Bella"

i died on that part- so heart-wrenching. Kristen also did such an excellent job of displaying the agonizing pain that Bella was enduring...both such phenomenal actors in my opinion. I also LOVED Rob's song playing during that scene...definitely boosted the intensity of the scene. I also loved how they converyed a flashback of Edward with Bella while Edward was trying to stop sucking Bella's blood....basically that scene in the movie had me sold. Twilight was awesome.

I really have to agree with you 100 % Especially about Kristen. I thought she was amazing. She was exactly how I imagined Bella. I just think she did a wonderful job. I can't imagine the pressure she's been under to make a believable Bella. Well, she sure won me over! I was impressed by this young cast. I never thought that the other characters would draw my attention in the movie, but Jessica and Eric were especially hilarious!! They ALL did really well!! YAY for fantastic casting! :-)
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lara
Settled in Forks

Post by lara »

Bella -- Kristen's best bits were both hospital scenes and the ballet studio. We all know she's an awesome actor, but she really shines in those super-emotional situations. Otherwise, I felt like Kristen was a little "flat."

Edward -- Rob did the best he could with the script and direction he was given. I don't know what else to say.

Alice -- My favorite book character (apart from Edward & Bella, of course!). It felt like Ashley was a little nervous or tense sometimes. She has it in her, she just needs to find the confidence. Overall, I think she did a superb job.

Jasper -- Poor Jackson. I don't know what was going on with all of the constipated faces! I know Jazz is struggling so much, but he also has the ability (though they didn't mention it! ugh!) to control a situation. I loved him in the baseball scene, of course! Wow!

Rosalie -- Nikki really pulled it off. I was worried about her, nepotism and all that. But she was great. I'd sure be afraid if I were Bella!

Emmett -- Gosh, I love this character. Kellan didn't have much to do or say but he channelled Em in the limited time given to him. "Her name is Bella!" lol

Carlisle -- Peter pulled off the grace and gentleness that is Carlisle. I wish they'd told his backstory with the Volturi.

Esme -- I loved Liz way more than I thought I would. She was just right.

Charlie -- Wow, Billy! 100% impressed. He was given some fantastic lines, too.

Renee -- Bigger part than in the book, but Sarah completely "had" Renee's quirkiness and immaturity down.

Billy -- Um. Why am I attracted to Jacob's dad? LOL Wow. I liked Gil and his interaction with Billy. They really "felt" like they were Charlie & Billy, best friends for years.

Jacob -- Taylor is adorable. I can't wait to see more of Jacob in New Moon.

Human kids -- All were fantastic. I thought Angela and Eric were written a little more "out there" than their literary counterparts, but by and large, I really loved all of the kids and the actors were fantastic.

James -- Why does he have to be such a short-lived character? Cam is delicious. He nailed James.

Laurent -- Edi is wonderful, as always. He should keep his shirt open in every part. ha!

Victoria -- Rachelle was amazing. (I think she and Billy Burke were the best overall) Completely fierce. Completely Victoria.
"My apologies, dog." - Edward Cullen, Eclipse
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

ok. I'm going to try to focus here on the acting, keeping in mind that the script is seperate from the actors. i did have a few issues script-wise, some important info was left out, but that's not the actor's fault. so here goes. hope i don't get crucified.

Edward: i thought Rob did brilliantly! he was just amazing!

Emmett: i want to MARRY him. he was the one i didn't really care too much about, like, he didn't appeal to me positively or negatively, and now i just love him!

Alice: her look was perfect, but her acting came off a little forced sometimes.

Esme: PERFECT, absolutely wonderful.

Bella: flat. when she was supposed to be emotional, she did it very well, but she was not written to be that awkward in her speech. she was portrayed as unhappy most of the time, which isn't true. there's a difference between not talking much and talking like you're having trouble forming words and scowling all the time.

Charlie: wonderful and HILARIOUS!!! i definitely pictured him differently in my head but the acting was done very well.

Jasper: i thought Jackson did a beautiful job, although it puzzled me as to why he would look pained all the time. i wouldn't have gotten that at all had i not read the books. but again, a script issue. i thought he looked a lot like a younger johnny depp actually. there is no higher compliment from me.

Billy: hilarious. very well done.

Jacob: very very nice. a lot of fun.

Victoria: i thought she was SO beautiful. prettier than rosalie. her acting was very nice too.

James: i thought he did great!

i thought Mike and Jessica were portrayed really well, but i thought Angela was a little too bubbly and i thought Erik came off as kinda girlie, if you know what i mean.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Gitta
Wandering Through Town

Post by Gitta »

Haha here comes one more :lol: I have actually had problems with the cast from the very start so i went to the theatre with extremly low expectations.

Good performances
Charlie: thoo he didn't act like that book I really liked him and I even think that it's better than the book his pepper spray comments were hilarious

Carlisle: He looked so Carlislish I don't know how to describe it, and he was surely the most human of the Cullen Family.

Emmett: He was Emmett I can't describe him any better.

Rosalie: hmm I had troubles with her before but i think that she did a great job and it was very belivable.

Jasper: he looked tortured during the whole movie and i sort of missed his interactions with Bella in the end but you cant blame Jackson for that.

Jacob: he really was like the sun

Less good performances
Bella: I still think that she's to cold to play Bella and too strong-willed. She wasn't able to pull of Bella in my mind it felt like she was playing herself instead of the character

Edward: he was ok looked a little psycko time to time and was sort of stiff but I don't know if I should blame him or the scrren writer.

Alice: were was Alice? Her personality was gone and the acting didn't feel real? It rather felt like it was forced in some ways and I didn't like it at all.

Esme: I can't say anything about her really because i barely saw her but she did an ok job