Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I liked it!

Post by jonsgirljen »

I really liked the movie, but I'm not sure if I'd say that I loved it. Maybe I will love it the next time I see it. I've only seen it once so far, but my fiancee and I are gonna go see it again. He even said that he liked it, and he's definitely not one to watch "girly" movies, or at least that's what he'd call Twilight. So, naturally, I was very impressed when he told me that he liked it. There were some scenes that weren't the way I imagined them, like the meadow, and also, I was really hoping to see the blood typing part, but oh well. However, I think that Billy Burke absolutely nailed the role of Charlie. He was exactly the Charlie that I had pictured. And I could say the same thing about several more of the characters, like Carlisle.
Edward Cullen Fan
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Edward Cullen Fan »

I loved the movie. Unfortunately, I was with a friend who hadn't read the books and she was saying "Oh my God!" and "That's amazing!" every five seconds, especially at the parts where if she'd actually read the book first, she would have known about it like [most] everyone else did. It was extremley frustrating when she was reacting to the scene where Edward is trying to get switched out of Bio, and also when he acted like he was going to bite her at the end, but everyone else knew he wouldn't. She also didn't even know enough to get the reference of the apple in Edward's hands. :roll: But unfortunately there's going to be people like that no matter where you go. Anyways. The movie made me laugh a lot. I loved when they were on the field trip and Bella said something along the lines of, "You never say hi to me." And Edward said, "Hi." Perhaps I am too easily dazzled? And when they were cooking Bella dinner and Emmett said, "Of course she'll like it. Her name's Bella." The scenes with Charlie were great. I loved the prom scenes. I'm very glad that they included some of the quotes from the book, too.

Sorry this was so long (and that a good part of it was spent venting about non-fans).
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I loooved it! It was kind of corny though. But it made me realize how corny some of the lines in the book sound, it just sounds weird because i'm seeing it and not imagining it. I loved it nonetheless. They did have a low budget, so I heard, so that's why it wasn't amazingly filmed. But since they're making a NM I'm hoping for better quality direction and better effects. =D CAN'T WAIT!!! Wonder who's going to play Aero and Jane?!?!!? EEEK!

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
sarina1113
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by sarina1113 »

I had the pleasure of going with a friend who had NOT read Twilight and it was really interesting to get her prespective truly. Overall, she enjoyed the movie but it was choppy at times.

Choppy in a sense that everything would be flowing really well at first and then suddenly, the dialogue got really sappy and somewhat unbelievable. I get what she was saying entirely. These sappy lines flowed better in the book than in the movie. It was like the meadow scene was just inserted in randomly and it threw me off guard.

But hey, I saw the movie twice. I love it.
J<3N
Q: Who's your favorite vampire? Edward Cullen or Bill Compton?
A: Well, Bill has quite the...uh... I'll just say Bill is my favorite for undisclosed reasons...

pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I went into this movie knowing that it would be different from the book & I tried really hard no to think about the book while I was watching it. (I also did not let myself read any parts of the book for the last month or so!) And I think that really helped me to enjoy the movie for what it was, a movie, not the book!
I was very pleasantly surprised with the movie. :D I really enjoyed it. I knew it wouldn't be as good as the book, (move adaptations never are) but considering all they had to cut out & condense from a 500 page novel, it was pretty well done. It seemed really fast moving, it did not seem like 2 hrs to me! (It could also have been just because I've read the book at least 5 times & am used to the story moving slowly. I did ask my mom & she said it didn't seem to move really fast to her. )

All I'm going to say about the "reveal" is I really enjoyed it, I loved how they did the sparkle effect (I was wondering about it & not sure how they could pull it off. I thought it was pretty cool! :P It wasn't too freaky looking. ) I loved how all the actors portrayed their characters. Especially: Nikki was a very hateful Rosealie, Ashley was an awesome Alice, loved Billy as Charlie, and Mike as Mike. Basically all of them were great! There were some lines & scenes I wish they would have kept from the book, but didn't. (Especially most of Jaspers stuff :( ) I really loved the Bella voiceovers & that they were lines from the book! The baseball scene was awesome! I loved it! I loved the Muse song here too. If MLB baseball was like that, I think it would be more exciting & get higher ratings! I put my favorite scenes on the fav scenes thread, so I won't repeat them all here. I also really enjoyed the music that was played throughout, I thought it really added to the scenes. The composer (I can't remember his name) did an awesome job! I've seen it twice already, and really wanna go see it again!

My mom has not read the books, but went and saw the movie with me. And the first thing she said when we walked out was I'm glad I went, I really loved it! So for someone who hasn't read the books, in her opinion it was a good movie. I had to explain to her about their eyes changing colors, and that the song Edward was playing on the piano was Bella's Lullaby, not just some random song he was playing. But other than that I think she got everything. She even understood the reason for playing baseball in a thunderstorm! (She made the comment she wasn't sure if everyone who hadnt' read the book will get that.)

BTW:I really like the Twilight Guy's review. I agree w/what he said & he said it better than I could have. http://www.twilightguy.com/2008/11/22/t ... ie-review/

edit:as of December 5 I have seen the movie 4 times in theatres! (It wasn't intentional I promise :D) Everytime I go I enjoy it & notice something I hadn't before.
Last edited by pennybug84 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
allisoninLA
Settled in Forks

Post by allisoninLA »

Overall, I liked it (I posted on the "I didn't like it board" to make a point about a scene I didn't like)...but I found more to admire than I did to condemn. And if one views it as a compliment to the book (sort of "moving illustrations" to go along with the reading), rather than a movie version of the book, it helps. :-)

I really liked the cast -- excellent choices all. Though Pattinson doesn't play Edward as tortured as I imagined him in his Bella/Edward scenes (the director's call), he still brings a lot of charisma to the role that is necessary for Edward. Without that charisma, the movie would have floundered, so good job, Pattinson (and Stewart for making Bella so real -- albeit a bit twitchy).

I do dearly, dearly wish they would quickly re-assemble the cast and shoot the meadow scene the way it happens in the book, and put that on the DVD as an "alternate meadow scene," because that is the ONLY thing that deeply bothers me... but the ovderall-ness is enough to make me want to go back and see it again. And I'll definitely buy it on DVD. :-)

NOTE: I don't think this movie "works" for people who've not read the books (I heard a group of guys talking about the "random Vampires-playing-baseball-scene" -- which makes sense to us book fans).
angelz429
Settled in Forks

Post by angelz429 »

so i just saw the movie for the 2nd time... and this time i liked it, surprisingly. I suggest anyone who didn't like it to see it again.

I realized that the first time I watched it I was way too focused on comparing it to the books to enjoy it as a movie.

When I saw it the second time, I knew what the changes would be and I expected them, and just enjoyed going to the movie theater and watched the movie on the screen.

I took my husband with me who's never read the books and just explained the bits and pieces that the movie didn't explain thoroughly without going too far into what the differences were.

I think that helped, and I really suggest seeing it again.

Yes, there was still some bad acting and some bad special effects (low budget film hello)...but overall a MUCH better experience...and my husband actually ENJOYED himself and the movie. I dragged him kicking and screaming the whole way and then he was glad that I made him watch it.
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

I was kinda hesitant whether I would like it or not. but in the end I really liked it (with exceptions of certain things) All the actors did a good job with their parts. Like some others said, the only disappointing part was the meadow scene -- there was just too much of that taken out and/or rearranged. I did love that they left Mike Newton's quote in there when he told Bella "He looks at you like you're something to eat" :P

edit: I just found out Twilight made approx. $69 million opening weekend!!
Last edited by simple_love♫ on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.
mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

I didn't just like it, I LOVED IT!

Yes there were some flaws, but the overall effect of the movie was amazing. I left the theater wanting more. I haven't gone to see it again yet, but I will!

I loved all the actors. Rob sis an AMAZING job. He is my Edwrad!. Kristen did a great job too (wasn't too thrilled with her at first, but she totally redeemed herself in my eyes). The rest of the Cullen family was excellent. Whoever did the casting did a perfect job! Even the human characters. When we first see Eric, I was like "awwwww... he's sooo cute!!!" Justin Chon did so good in that part. Mike Welch was PERFECT for Mike Newton!! OMG... Everyone was just cast perfectly. And Taylor!!! @_@ OMG he was just amazing! I can't wait to see what Taylor can do in New Moon!

I think Catherine did an amazing job. She really kept the essence and the feel of the book alive. Yes scenes were changed, but it's a movie. I loved the overall feel of the film. The dark overtones of color. The camera angles, the different camera shots in the trees, and during the prom scene. She really made Twilight stand out from every other romance/action/vamp flick. She did such an amazing job. I also loved how before the premier she went out the night before to fans who were camping out for the premier and talked to them. She is just absolutly the greatest! And for a woman director no less. Look how many female directors there are out there. Not that many.

The only thing I thought needed some work was the screenplay. Melissa R. did a good job, but it could have been better. The flow was off, and I wish there could have been more of Bella/Edward relationship building. But with the 37 mil budget (which is def. a low budget film) and 2 hours, I think they did a good job. (I wish they could have atleast added 30 min more. I think that would have helped a lot. (Plus it would have made the fans drool even more lol)
twilife
Settled in Forks

Post by twilife »

Ive seen it twice, and plan on seeing it again. I actually liked it better the second time.

IF YOU LIKED THE MOVIE GO TO ROTTEN TOMATOES AND VOTE SO THEY CAN GET BETTER THAN A SPLAT.

They had hundreds of votes of 0 before it even came out, probably from some twilight haters.