Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Twilight Movie~ Changed/Added scenes

Post by BlueStarlight »

I loved the movie... just posted all my favorite parts. Ugh... there were some disappointments in the added and changed parts.

1. My biggest disappointment would have to be the lack of physical exploration in the meadow. Everyone else has mentioned the convos, but I miss the physical part. Help us all!!! This is an important part in their relationship beind defined as vampire/human. They are totally different physically, and in the meadow, they learn about each others differences. I felt a bit cheated here. They left out Bella's tracing of Edward's features; they left out Edward's smelling Bella and finding her heartbeat. All we got was Edward putting his hand to her heart, and that was just a flash...then they went and laid down in the meadow... they could have put their touching there. The biggest part of their relationship in the story is that it is NEW to both of them. While I'm okay with the way the meadow scene was handled, I feel that it could have been better.

2. For goodness' sake- the freakin' lullaby!!!! I was SO not expecting that scene to be over-scored by the complete orchestral version of the song. I really wish it would have just been a piano solo. That would have made it more intimate and meaningful to their relationship, I think. Don't get me wrong, the music is beautiful, beautiful, and I love it!!! I'm so glad I watched that Rome footage of this, otherwise I would have been very disappointed at that point in the theatre.

3. I loved the field trip! Eric was just great teasing Bella with that worm on a stick! His laugh is infectious!

4. I also liked that the nomads were introduced early, instead of just showing up like they do in the book. It gets you to thinking of something other than just the love story going on. Another thing- I loved the ending with Victoria!!

5. The little things that made it a bit more relatable to teens of today... speedo-stuffing and two mentions of Jessica's boobs! Hilarious!!

6. The flashbacks were a very nice addition! I was hoping to see Edward's green eyes, but I'm not disappointed in that.

7. Hmmmmm, the way Bella found out about the Cullens "half-way" from Jacob. I'm not sure exactly why this was changed.

8. Okay, this is my last one, and it's just nit-picky stuff. I know it all can't be the exact same as in the book, but oh well.
a. Charlie's house is totally different.
b. Bella never cooked.
c. Bella wore a tennis shoe to prom instead of the stiletto.
d. Bella and Edward's last conversation. He asks, "Isn't it enough that you live a long and happy life with me?" (I THINK that's how he said it) She replies, "Yes, it is enough... for now." Talk about being left hanging! Where did Bella's question go????? She's supposed to ask him "Isn't it enough that I love you more than everything in the world combined" and he's supposed to say, "yes, it is enough; enough for forever." His response to her question shows how much Edward loves her, but is struggling with his thirst and keeping her human at the same time. I feel that this scene shows just exactly what kind of relationship they have, and WHY it is such a difficult love. Sure, a vampire and a human fall in love, okay... but HOW is it difficult?? The defining point is that Edward wants Bella human, and he is happy to know that he is loved.

UGH- I need to find someone who hasn't read the books to take to the movie and get their opinion. I'm too close to the book! I've read it 5 times and can't separate myself from what was "necessary" to include or exclude for the sake of getting the story across.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Jessica's boobs were HUGE! Edit me or PM me if this isn't okay to write. They were equally as obvious as Jacob's teeth. Jessica knew it also as she showed it off... but Bella also noticed it and she projected that it was a bit too much and a little more floosy than flirty.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Heart Song
Wandering Through Town

Post by Heart Song »

spookybell wrote:
Heart Song wrote:
Two scenes have nearly driven me to insanity for how wrong they were however. Carlisle would not have bitten Edward or Esme in the hospital wards. How disturbing would that be for the other patients? Oh, here comes doctor vampire to bite my neck!

Esme was so far gone she was taken directly to the morgue. Maybe Carlisle would have bitten her there because he would have lost her if he waited but it seems unlikely that she ever got assigned to a bed.

Edward would have been in a ward with several other patients. His mother's bed was next to his for heavens sake. Carlisle knew that Edward had at least a few hours of life remaining. He spirited Edward out of the hospital and bit him in another location, possibly his home.
I'm the movie protector police! I can't help myself. I agree with the Carslisle biting on the nexk. So wrong to us fans. We know better. However, they accomplised 4 things in these brief scenes.... #1 Told the general audience (those not obsessed with the books or even having read them) that Carslise turned Edward. #2 Told general audience that Carslile chaned Esme. #3 told the general sundiene both were ill and in a hospital for some reason (ie... not bitten out of need to bite... #4 The audience is familiar with typical vampire bites and fangs etc, so they don't know How Stephenies vampire infect with venom & have no fangs.

To condence what could be a 12 hour movie... the movie has to tell the Major story. Unfortuantly, Edwards mother does nothing to move the plot point along and without her in the film, it does not change the story whatsoever.

okay, okay, forgive me. I was a film school student for many years and worked in film. Did i mention that I hated it after I finally graduated???? Jaded by the dang industry.
Forgive me for making a comment about something that bothered me. Please don't think for a moment that I do not understand what it means to adapt a book to film. It is not an easy process. Things are changed and beloved scenes dropped. I get it. That does not mean that I have to agree with all of the changes. I don't recall that the movie even mentioned why Esme was in the hospital for the uninitiated audience to know how near death she was.

My gripe was not that Edward and Esme were bit but that the bites took place in the wards. That just did not work for me. If Carlisle had done that, the Volturi would have been after him in a heartbeat for exposing vampires to humans (besides the fact that the other patients would have been terrified).

Did I mention that, overall, I liked the film? Checks original post. Yes, I did and I still do.
banner by the lovely ~ouisa~ adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis

Twilight Stories and Host Stories
onyxbloom
Settled in Forks

Post by onyxbloom »

Ok I didn't have time to read all the posts so forgive me all if this has been said before but....
I have heard a lot of expressions of disappointment in the special effects, ie. tree scene, feral vamp entrance scene etc. Most of the time it's professional critics, but I have heard a few fans, so maybe I can make it better for you. This is the way I saw it. It would have been super easy for them to make Edward disapper in a whoosh when he runs, they've done that kind of thing for years, technically we shouldn't be able to see him running. But they let us see him do this impossible thing which, to us, looks like corney movie making because we are seeing something that absolutly can't be done so clearly and easily. Usually such feats would be blurred out in movies, or the character would have a hard time, for insance, climbing the tree, but let us remember that OUR vampires are just that much cooler, it's so easy that it seems unreal and cheesey. As for being able to see these things so clearly, that also makes it look a little fake if you're not thinking of it the way I did, because my initial reaction was "Oh, they're letting us see it like we're a vampire watching it. That's so much cooler than not being able to see him when he runs." There are some moments when this pattern is conflicted to give you a little bit of perspective. I think when he's showing Bella he is capable of hurting her you can't see him when he runs, wouldn't swear to that. I think there they are trying to show us the impact of exactly what Bella is seeing, but in situations like the nomadic vampires entrance, they did a "magic carpet" effect which, while allowing you to see the characters clearly also gives you the impression of the characters moving at an inhumane speed. So like I said, it's like you're a vampire too so you can see all this stuff clearly. I could be wrong but that makes a lot more sence to me than them cutting corners unneccisarily. In closing I would like to say that I love the movie and I am glad that most of us seem to be at least appeased by it. I am seeing it again in 18hrs :D and I very much look forward to New Moon. "Cat" was the FUNNIES quote of the movie bar none.

sorry re-reading it maybe it seems like this belongs elswhere but someone on here mentioned the special effects so that's what inspired it.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

sorry for getting on my high horse. I dtrongly believe that people should always have the right to thir own appinion. Bad high horse, I' slapping him down now. I've just recently discovered that my goals are always striving to make everyone happy all the time. I think I need therapy. Really - I have just notied this same scenarion appear like 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Shame on spookybell. She wags lail between legs while sitting to have some inner yoga and peace to determine the best wat to chhevie what is needed. Did I mention, I've had a wee bit of a tastly special coffe drink tonght. I'm not sure about me.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
inlove279
Settled in Forks

Post by inlove279 »

I would have to agree with what most people have posted on here. I also went in with lower expectations, knowing it would never be as good as the book. I just didn't know how off from the book it would be. Very few things were right on. I know that they needed to cut a lot to squeeze it all in (although, it could have been longer instead so as not to cut out vital roles), they just changed so much. I don't know if I noticed more because I'm very familar with all the books in detail or what. There were some vital parts that they should have left the way they were set up in the book. She should have met Jake at the beach, not before. He was supposed to tell her about the cold ones, she didn't learn about it from looking up their legends online and buying a book. There was no field trip and no Edward & Bella tree climbing, so I'm not really sure why they decided to put that stuff in there. They could have used the time that those scenes sucked up to go into more detail about Carlisle and expound on the love story more. They weren't shopping for prom dresses, it was that girls choice dance. It didn't snow (maybe too expensive to set up?). They had the microscope scene, but didn't show the first touch there, they waited until later, on the way back from Port Angeles and they didn't discuss what he was that night like they were supposed to. The meadow scene was all wrong. I know they knew what an important scene it was and that people wouldn't tolerate it being cut all together, but it seemed more stressful than it was supposed to be. The only thing they got right was the quote about the lion falling in love with the lamb, and only because the author made them leave it that way--they were going to change it! All in all, it just seemed to rushed, like no time had passed between her moving there and James chasing her. Like another person said, no build up of character at all. I hope that with all of the money they rake in, that they can try a little harder on the 2nd one and maybe redeem themselves a little, because they won't make the money they're looking for otherwise.
pamcakes16
Settled in Forks

Post by pamcakes16 »

Hi everyone! Well, like most of the people who posted their thoughts, i, too, was disappointed in the meadow scene! I was also disappointed in the scene where edward spent the first night with bella actually knowing about it hehee. that was one of my fav parts in the book ;)

although, i did think the kissing scene was pretty hot ;) oh, and when he kisses her neck @ the end! wootwoot! hahhaa

Considering this movie was on a tight budget, i think it did well =)
Mavors
Settled in Forks

Post by Mavors »

BlueStarlight wrote: 7. Hmmmmm, the way Bella found out about the Cullens "half-way" from Jacob. I'm not sure exactly why this was changed.
Well I suppose it was done so coz maybe a whole conversation about that would have tired the audience, while doing something visual as searching for images on internet and such capture more attention and create more suspence. I actually prefered it that way then a simple dialogue.
Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
YourFavoriteAries
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by YourFavoriteAries »

I had one major issue with the field trip scene.

I'm guessing it was supposed to be an 11th grade biology field trip right?

Well um, Jasper's a senior.
:?

It was acctually the first thing I thought of....not that more Jasper screen time is ever a bad thing...ever...
:lol:

And I also had less problems with the scenes they added and more problems with the scenes they CHANGED. As I now think back most of my favorite scenes were there just different. If they had gone word for word with the meadow scene stopping right after the Heroine line and made the hotel part a bit more like the original. (cause um newsflash, Jasper and Alice would have heard, smelled, seen, or felt Bella walk out the door RIGHT BEHIND THEM) I also liked the original Bedroom (any of the couple in the book would have worked) and original first kiss scenes. The original Jacob tells Bella about the "Cold ones" would also have been better. I won't even get started on Port Angels and the car ride home.

I was only really pissed that Chapter Carlisle didn't make it in there. Really, It's a short chapter and what they replaced it with was just...no. :cry:

And I do have to say, I have one problem...ONE problem with the baseball scene. There were acctually a few important plot points in there obviously but um..."I love you". HOW COULD THEY LEAVE THAT OUT? I'm not sure either of them said it acctually...What Blasphemy. :shock:

(But I loved The Jasper/Alice hand hold.)
Private Chloe Meadows of Jaspers Confederate Army- Stainless Carlet
YourFavoriteAries
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by YourFavoriteAries »

Mavors wrote:
BlueStarlight wrote: 7. Hmmmmm, the way Bella found out about the Cullens "half-way" from Jacob. I'm not sure exactly why this was changed.
Well I suppose it was done so coz maybe a whole conversation about that would have tired the audience, while doing something visual as searching for images on internet and such capture more attention and create more suspence. I actually prefered it that way then a simple dialogue.
My guess is a bit similar to that but...

I think they wanted Bella to have a reason to go to the book store other then "I like to read!!" which is acctually a character trait they didn't emphasize. So they gave her a clear cut obvious reason, I want to get this book because...

I don't think that conversation would have been boring at all if they shot it in and out of flashback like they did anyways. And it's an important plot point that Jacob BREAKS THE TREATY which um, he didn't in the movie.
:?
Private Chloe Meadows of Jaspers Confederate Army- Stainless Carlet