General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Isobelle
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Breaking Dawn-I didn't like it

Post by Isobelle »

At this point I am not quite sure if I like Breaking Dawn or not. It definitely does not hold the same place in my heart as Twilight, but I still enjoyed reading it.

I was overly shocked by Bella getting pregnant. Shocked to the point of where I stopped reading the book for a while. I just couldn't believe it, it sounded so fake and I thought I remembered SM saying that the only fluid in a vampire's body is the venom, so where did the sperm come from?

I too felt that the birth of Nessie took a lot away from the relationship between Bella and Edward, but then again, I am not a mom so I have no idea how a woman balances of the love of a husband and a daughter. I missed hearing about the love between Bella and Edward, or reading about them doing things together. Yes they go hunting after she become a vampire but they dont do much else besides that and have sex. I mean I can totally see Bella and Edward talking to the whole night, or Edward taking her somewhere super romantic. Every thing about this book was just a little rushed.

My last complaint that I had, how in the WORLD does Ben control the elements? Seriously, that gift seemed a little absurd and a little too close to Avatar, I like the show dont get me wrong, but that was just something I was not expecting in the least bit. What would he have been like a as a human? Since he obviously had some kind of potenital otherwise he wouldnt have been created. Did anyone else feel like that gift was pushing the boundaries just a little?
Twilight_luv1692
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilight_luv1692 »

Lets start off with I'm a HUGE Twilight fan. I absolutely love the story. Im not gonna say i don't like Breaking Dawn.. Bc i did actually like most of it..There were things however that were kinda like uh.... :? and There was l disappointment Im thinking it came from some of these things.....Beware some is just my opinion
I think knowing this was the "last Twilight Book" kinda made me and some other people i know like NOOO!!!!!! It cant be and to be the last book in Bella's point of view its kinda like ...but Bella is relatable! shes likeable! shes the main character! So Im thinking some disappointment came when Stephanie was heard saying this was prob. gonna be Bellas last point of view book. I get the whole the story has to end sometime but personally i think we should all protest :lol: and i mean didnt they even say in the book there will be a day when the volturi comes back.(i kno other point of views are supposably going 2 b) although i will say real quick Jacob's point of view i loved and i was not much of a jacob person..until this book, that chunck of the book was important..anywho
I think we all loved the wedding...the honeymoon...until she got prego. That threw me in a loop something i wasnt expecting.. and from what it sounds like something no one was really expecting.. I dont think Nessie is a bad aspect to the story i think the problem comes from her as the character taking away the charm of the story. Essential in parts she overshadowed some of Bella's and Edward's love? It was kinda like she took all of the attention and it was harder for the reader to feel the strong connection of Bella and Edward.
I personally wanted Bella to become a vampire so that aspect of the story didnt bother me so much.. I also figured she would somehow control her self and not end up eating everyone haha..BUT when Bella becomes a vampire i think thats when a little of her being relatable point disappears alittle. I also imagined Bella when becoming a vampire would have a special power.. I think we all kinda figured that from the start ( i mean that in a good way2). I didnt think it wld be a shield i guess i figured it wld be some major huge power..which i guess in ways it is..idk
Im happy JAcob got his happy ending but its a little weird he loved Bella so much.I guess i thought he secretly imprinted on Bella and when she asked if he ever did he just said no. I figured this bc he was like in love with her..but he imprinted on Nessie.. which means he will be Bellas son in law?=/ yeah...
The whole sex thing .. the first time was aww they finally did it hahaha but although i see where people r like it was all about sex. I think in a way that was the way in which after Nessie was born to try and get that connection of Edward and Bella back.
Im not sure but ill say I did love the ending Edward being able to see Bellas mind for once and it was like aww...Thats so cute!!! I pictured in ways Edward and Bella being old sitting together on the porch or in the meadow bc i thought at one time something was mentioned about being old together. But the ending was good :mrgreen:
Twilight_luv1692
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilight_luv1692 »

one thing i 4got to mention in the above post... It annoyed me how Charlie was just told basically of everthing JAcobs changing infront of him im like what i thought that couldnt b done?????
with the Volturi thing it dragged on....they r going to come back it was said they wld
Some of the characters were "lost" like what i mentioned above with Nessie coming into the picture
sun
Settled in Forks

Post by sun »

Thanks for the reply 'melting into you'.
Maybe I'll continue reading just to see how it really ends.
http://myfriendsunjun.blogspot.com/2008 ... movie.html
ScarlettSeduction
Settled in Forks

Post by ScarlettSeduction »

Overall, I didn't like it very much. Especially when you put it next to the previous three.

The main reason for my dislike - the happy ending.
I know, if something horrible had happened like one of the Cullens dying would have been heartbroken. But I would have preffered that to this nice hapily ever after. I mean even the chapter was named that.
One of the big pulls to the book was how we could react to Bella an what she goes through and the bad stuff that happens. Not everyone gets a nice happy ending with their perfect person and the perfect family and all their wishes fulfilled.
It my be fair to say i'm jealous of a fictional character because she get's everything perfect in the end.

And the whole Bella being a vampire, well trust her to be the one vamp in existence to not have an overpowering human bloodlust and be able to stop the Volturi from attacking mere months after her change.

Throughout the whole series hated Jacob, but I found myself loving him in his part.
And the whole pregnant thing. Stephenie said it was IMPOSIBBLE, then suddenly we findshe's wrote in a baby.

Okay i'm to tired to write any more on this point it's 1am and I could go onfor hours i'll edit this in the morning.
melting into you
Learning to Love Green

Post by melting into you »

You're welcome, Sun. I'd keep on going. It really is an amazing journey. You have a lot to experience. Then when you get to Breaking Dawn you can decide for yourself and post :)
September
Settled in Forks

Re: Breaking Dawn-I hated it

Post by September »

Breaking Dawn was obviously the result of a Break Down. I really liked the first three and was so jazzed up for the fourth I was literally bouncing up and down and staring at my calendar for an unhealthy amount of time- and then when it finally arrived, I tore it from it’s box, dived right in and… considered returning it before I even got to Jacob’s section.

Let me just say I began reading Twilight fanfiction before there were even a hundred stories posted in it and I had always wrote nasty reviews for those who dared write something as stupid as Bella getting knocked up by Edward and giving birth to some mutant half vampire. I almost died laughing when arguing with other fans who seriously thought this was a possibility for the real books! By the release of Eclipse the plotline of Bella and Edward having a child was beyond unoriginal and no one really wanted to read any more stories about it. Then people starting coming up with super creepy ideas like Jacob imprinting on and starting a relationship with one of Bella’s human children- these stories, too, were blasted for being completely impossible ideas for the books because Stephenie just wouldn’t do it (c’mon- ew. “I used to fantasize about doing your mom, but now I just wanna see you naked”) :shock: . Meanwhile, just about every fanfic story contained a massive influx of foreign vampire covens with supercool X-Men/Heroes powers like being able to move the earth, create illusions, and electrocute people; these were generally thought to be kinda neat but improbable for any actual new Twilight characters because they were too generic and overused, that and the fact that they belonged in a Marvel Comics big budgeted superhero movie and not Stephenie Meyer’s carefully created world of vampires of whom some possess a subtle yet unique and powerful gift. I won’t even mention the stories of Bella becoming a newborn and not having any symptoms, Charlie finding out and being okay with it, etc. How lame, I thought! :lol:

So imagine my surprise… WHEN ALL OF THIS BAD FANFIC BULLCRAP ACTUALLY MADE THE WHOLE OF THE FOURTH BOOK!!! :evil: I’m still suffering Post Traumatic Stress symptoms from the shock and denial of what I witnessed in black and white proof August 2nd- a day I’ll never, no matter how hard I try, forget. :cry:

I seriously think there is a long list of FanFic authors who could successfully sue Stephenie for stealing their storylines. Breaking Dawn- 3.0 out of 10 and that’s only because the writing, while feeling like it was from a different author, was pretty good, and because… well, it’s part of the Twilight saga (at least, according to the cover, but I’m waiting for a personal confirmation from Stephenie).
Le-Petit-Mort
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Le-Petit-Mort »

Okay, where do I begin? There are a lot of things that were wrong with Breaking Dawn. Mainly the reactions, personalities, facts, and basically the plot. To be honest, I DID find spoilers on the internet; on Neopets to be specific. This person was rambling about how Bella and Edward get married, get pregnant, name the baby Renesmee(a combination of Renee and Esme), Jacob imprints on it, and then Bella dies. I was only happy with the 'Bella dying' part. And the rest, I laughed at. I was literally cringing as I read the book. What seemed like idiotic fan rambling, was true.

WTF was up with Charlie's reaction? First he's angry, then he's laughing, and then he's congratulating them and telling them he knew this would happen. Then when he finds out about werewolves, he just shrugs and smiles. He acts like a pregnant woman having intense mood swings. :?

Speaking of 'pregnancy', WTF is up with that? Maybe it's the fact that Meyer said it's practically impossible for vampires to reproduce. Or maybe it's the fact that there are probably 20,000 fanfictions where Bella gets pregnant with Edward's love child. I think that it's because the fans were so de-sensitised and bored of the idea, that Breaking Dawn was so lack-luster. :roll:

Next, let's talk about the gathering of covens. It's not really believable. I mean, the only covens, other than the Cullens, we really learned about were the Denalis, the Volturi, and the Southern war groups. Then Meyer drops this big bomb that there's roughly six other NON-VEGETARIAN covens that just pop out of thin air. And they all just gather at the Cullens'. One big question; Where do they all feed? One vampire can probably be satiated after approximately 3 humans. There was roughly 4 members in each coven. Meyer left a big gap there.

Then there's the Volturi. Frankly, I adore the Volturi. But, in Breaking Dawn, they just seem to be a joke. I mean, one minute they're all, "We come to slay the forbidden mistake known as Renesmee." And the next, "Well, tally hoe! We're off to South America to go on safari-err... destroy the creep who's making a new 'super race'."

By the way, Irina's overreaction was just corny and made me cringe because I once wrote a fanfic that had a reaction like that and I was entirely embarrassed about it.

Everyone's personality is off in Breaking dawn. All Bella seemed to say is, "OMG, I'm getting married." "OMG, I'm having a baby." "OMG, I'm a vampire. Edward's hawt." It just wasn't Bella. Bella's personality is deeper, and this person seemed so shallow and ungrateful. She got everything handed to her and barely lifted a finger.

Then, we have this *Renesmee*. Totally pointless. Everyone, except Rosalie and Bella, hated her before the birth, and then after, it's like nothing happened. All because? She was cute. That nasty cannibal seed beats up Bella from the inside out, breaks her bones, almost starves her, and chews through her organs, and just because it's cute, you forget all that!? That's horrible. Then, Jacob imprints on this little freak! Isn't that indirect incest? Because Jacob was practically Bella's little brother, he would be the freak's UNCLE!!! He's a wolf and she's a half vampire-half human THING! What would their children be like? They would be vamp/wolf/human inbred hybrid THINGS! Can the freak even have children? It would be an awkward conception. "Gee honey, I used to fantasize about your mother naked, let's see if you look as good as she did." By the way, I give credit to September for that sentence. I just modified it a bit. Same reaction; EWWW!!! Point is, I HATE Renesmee!
Thank you for reading. 8-)
shegotup
Settled in Forks

Post by shegotup »

i really just hated breaking dawn.

to be perfectly honest, i would be perfectly happy reading twilight and stopping there. the last three books really just lack for me.

my biggest complaint, with the imaculate conception being second, is that the book seemed poorly spliced together. it felt as if the end had been written prior and the middle and beginning were just added later for filler space. after recently watching that dreadful interview with the " rob effect" being mentioned, i know stand strong on that opinion. it seemed, also, that this whole book is a big defiant middle finger to everyone who has read and enjoyed the series. i am quite fresh to the series ( i started reading them in july just before breaking dawns release) so im still figuring out the details and the intensity of the twilight fandom, but its not hard to figure out what people wanted as the result of breaking dawn, and that stephenie meyer consciously chose to take every idea, wish, and hope and demolish them. it seems a feeble attempt to prove herself as a cunning and imaginative writer. what better 'plot' than to take everything that is assumed and reverse it? who could forget that?

that aside, i felt as if i was reading another book filled with characters that i had never read before. the beauty and simplicity i noticed in twilight ( and what kept me curious to suffer through the rest of the books) was missing. the relationship belonging to edward and bella, the basis of the books, was overlooked completely. in twilight the lust between the two of them was nice and heady while remaining the least bit vulgar. in breaking dawn it seemed they could barely focus on anything ( their mutant family? for one) but having a roll in the sheets. i understand the significance of consummating their marriage, but i felt the continual banter of sex just cheapened everything that had been worked up to until then. i really wish more focus had been placed on the wedding and the droned on about conflict between bella, edward, and jacob and less attention paid to the suddenly vile rosalie and creepy nessie, and the ever pointless aro & company. it seemed too much unexpected twists ( harry potter book six, are you trying to show your face here?) and turns were included. maybe it was a conscious effort to try and ensure that a few more exciting and engaging movies would be made, because really, two more twilights? been there and done that. if thats the case, i wish it wasnt so...grossly morbid and overthought.

but in the end, it his her plot and characters that she so chose to rape of dignity and depth.
melting into you
Learning to Love Green

Post by melting into you »

I have a question. I missed Stephenie's interview with the "rob effect." What was she referring to? I don't get it?