Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Twilight Movie~Actors' Performances

Post by navarre »

fueledbyedward wrote:Robert, Robert, Robert. I think they chose the right actor looks wise, but that's about it. Robert is undeniably gorgeous and his crooked smile is absolutely stunning, but it's not enough to excuse his acting. He did not capture Edward's character as well as he should have. But the blame can only go so far because he didn't write the script or direct the movie. Catherine Hardwicke is to blame for that. She really destroyed Edward's character. Would he have grabbed her arm like that the way he did before the "meadow" scene? No. He would have left her arm covered in bruises (that really, really bothered me), and he just wouldn't have ever even dared to touch her that way. Would he have left her dangling in a tree without holding on to her for dear life? No. Would he have left her immediately after the accident with Tyler? No. She just did not consider Edward's overprotective, affectionate nature, and for that his performance as Edward suffered. But Robert has incredibly tough shoes to fill, and for that I give him credit. But he had better step it up for New Moon.

They definitely could have done a better job with the development of the characters. We barely got to know any of the Cullens, aside from Edward. It was a little disappointing. It's hard to belive Catherine Hardwicke actually read the books.
Exactly!! Not only Catherine but Melissa Rosenburg - she needs to seriously read the books.
Robert needs to go back and reread Edward and not portray him as weak, unsure and angsty.
Kristen - Just loosen up and stop acting like you hate doing this. That was my impression.
Ashley, Nikki, Kellan and Taylor along with the Forks High crowd and the nomads were all great.
Yes, I liked Peter & Elizabeth too.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
lovinmesomejasper
Settled in Forks

Post by lovinmesomejasper »

Rob as Edward: I thought his performance was incredible. While I too laughed at his expression during the biology scene, I thought it was spot on. He truly conveyed the tortured side of Edward. A pleasant surprise was that he also portrayed Edward's lighter moments extremely well, that smile is adorable, the perfect "half smile" Bella describes. Favorite line: "Just ignore Rosalie, I do"

Kristen as Bella: I think, yes, she played it a little stoic. I think as an actress Kristen did very well, she's obviously very talented. What she says about Bella though, is completely true, it's hard for fans to see ANYONE as Bella because when you're reading the book, you totally put yourself into Bella's role. I would liked to have seen some of the tears and the fact that she didn't cook for Charlie was bothersome, but otherwise I liked her. Favorite line: it wasn't a line, but it was a tie between her little smile when she was on the phone with renee and Edward was standing there and her smelling her hair in the biology scene

Jackson as Jasper: I love Jasper in the books and I think Jackson nailed the pained moments that Jasper suffers. I loved the entire baseball scene, but I really like the bat thing that Jasper does. He's fun to look at too, I love this casting, totally the Jasper I imagined. Favorite line: in response to Victoria's "wicked curveball" line...."Oh I think we can handle that"

Nikki as Rosalie: Awesome! Totally what I pictured. I know there's a lot of people saying "she wasn't pretty enough to be Rosalie" but come on people beauty is relative, what some people see as gorgeous, other people see as average. I loved the tension between she and kristen on screen, for such good friends, they played great enemies. Favorite line: "My monkey man"

Elizabeth as Esme: I didn't think I was going to like her, but I really did. I liked her motherly nature, which I honestly didn't think "Ava" from Grey's Anatomy was going to be able to pull off but she did so beautifully. Very welcoming, and proud of Edward like she was in the book. Should have included her backstory but I guess they thought that wasn't important or could wait til new moon. Favorite line: "Clean this up.....now"

Kellan as Emmett: He WAS Emmett, enough said. I liked Emmett with a little bit of thug in him too. Favorite line: "Come on babe, it's only a game."

Peter as Carlisle: I was skeptical, but he wowed me. I loved his obvious fatherly nature. You could tell he actually has kids, because he plays the dad really well. Favorite line: "Bella is Edward's choice, so she is part of this family now."

Ashley as Alice: She rocked this part. She was the perfect combination of graceful, cute, bubbly, and serious. Her little ballerina pitch was awesome! Plus her reactions to Bella's blood were really good. Twist that man's head off girl! Favorite line: "It's okay Bella and I are going to be great friends."

Rachelle as Victoria: cutthroat, can't wait to see her in NM and Eclipse! Favorite line: "I'm the one with the wicked curveball."

Cam as James: Loved the head tilt when he was looking at Bella. He was menacing and frickin' hot! Favorite line: "I borrowed this from your house, hope you don't mind."

Edi as Laurent: liked the French accent. Loved the big ol' dreads. Loved his little neckerchief in the Waylon scene. I'm a fan of his from his House days, so I went into this expecting to like him. Didn't like how he was in the scene at the Cullen house -- "James is bad, so's Victoria. Peace out!" but otherwise he was awesome too. Favorite line: "I think this belongs to you."

Billy as Charlie: Wow, does he play the awkward father of a teenage daughter well or what?! His performance was amazing. Loved the gun scene, loved his scenes with Billy Black, and I hated the diner stuff. Did they just build that in so Stephenie could do a cameo? Favorite line: "Bring him in."

Gil as Billy: They got that totally right, he was sooooo who I pictured when I read it. Favorite line: "We came for your flat screen."

Taylor as Jacob: I dislike Jacob and I dislike Taylor. He is NOT GOOD, hopefully he'll get some acting chops prior to New Moon or that movie is going to be a joke. He looked like he was going to laugh through every scene.

Jessica and Angela were great. Wanted Edward to haul off and kill Mike and Eric right there in the cafeteria but that jives with the way I feel about Mike in the book so I guess he did a good job. Sam was well cast, can't wait for new moon. If I forgot anyone, I suck!
foreveredward16
Wandering Through Town

Post by foreveredward16 »

sparker wrote:
forveredward16 wrote-But Awesomejen1.... and to all of you who can't quite see Kristen as Bella
I would like to point out, that a lot of Bella's desires for Edward are inward only. The book is from her perspective, and we as readers have more insight into her true feelings and emotions. Yet what she actually Outwardly projects, is much much different than all of her thoughts combined.
Bella is Supposed to be very selfless! She puts everyone around her first, she is supposed to keep quite emotionally detached on the outside, which is another reason Edward is so initialy fascinated by her. Not only can he not read her mind, he can't even read her face. Its supposed to be quite hard to read, blank, confusing to him......
You know what, that entry changed my mind about Kristen's performance. Thanks for your insight foreveredward16! It's true that we are exposed to Bella's inner dialogue in Twilight so now I get it, and she did do a great job. I guess I remember all the hysterical sobbing she did in the book when she was on the run from James and was waiting for her 'combustion' moment that never came.

hahah I'm glad someone took my thoughts into consideration!
We devoted readers certainly know more about Bella than anyone else! We need to wait a few films, Bella slowly lets herself express what she really feels on the outside. As she becomes more involved with everything, I think Kristen will pick up on her heightened expression.
Jackson- His Jasper was a very 'pained' portrait but I wish we could have seen him use more of his gift. He looks just like the stills of Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands.
You are my life now!
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

To make this shorter, I'll say I thought everyone was absolutely AMAZING, with very little faults, except for....

Robert Pattinson: Dear boy. He really doesn't have Edward down. Not enough angst, emotion(in general), pain, seriousness, mood swings, portrayal of just how much Edward loves Bella, etc. Plus, he still has issues with his American accent. If they'd wanted to just keep him British, that would have been better than having him waver in and out. And then close to the end...I don't even know what country he was supposed to be from anymore. There's something about the way Rob says "gonna" that cracks me up. Lastly, his facial expressions. I'd always thought that the faces he made in interviews were his natural expressions, but that he would be able to repress them whilst acting...guess not. Rob REALLY shouldn't squint. Like, REALLY. I think he's supposed to be "dazzling" and "smoldering", but it comes of as pain of some sort. I know I sound mean, but I did like him in the film. All the times when he was being just normal Edward 8-) , i.e. while Bella was washing her truck, dinner in Port Angeles, lying in bed with Bella, etc. So...yeah that's my take.

Jackson Rathbone: I don't really understand why he looked so SHORT in the film...but that one's not really his fault, I guess. BUT...I know he was supposed to "look like he was in pain", but it just came off as ridiculous in the film. Someone somewhere(I'm sorry, I don't remember!) said he looked like Edward Scissorhands. It's true! :roll: The stiffness and rigidity were so...blah. Just unlike Jasper. It wasn't the right kind of stiffness for Jasper. I did like that when he spoke, he had the southern accent. That was very Jasper! Oh, and he looked HOT playing baseball. ;)

Nikki Reed: Actually, I thought she did a wonderful job. We all have our issues with her not being a natural blond, but it was ok. The only thing is that I wish she had been MEANER.

Elizabeth Reaser: As usual, there is NEVER enough Esme. I barely remember seeing her. I don't think we can assess much when we barely even see the actress act! More Esme in the future!

Taylor Lautner: Every one has said he was very good in the film. I thought was pretty good, but I really didn't believe him as Jacob. He had moments when he had it down, but then at other times, it just wasn't working. Also, I giggled when he glared. He has such goofy expressions all the time that when he's actually serious, I'm not really convinced. I am, however, VERY interested to see what he does with New Moon Jake. I think he potentially could pull it off.

Solomon Trimble: Really, there wasn't much I was against on his acting. It was more how Sam was characterized. Sam was not Sam at all. Hanging out with Jake, looking like a side-kick? It was just...wrong. I hope they...fix that somehow.

Christian Serratos: This is probably one of the most disappointing for me. I've always LOVED Angela, my favorite human by far. But I really didn't like Angela in the film. She was...nice, but more of in a Jessica way. Her and Jessica just blurred in and out for me. In all irony, I adored Mike in the film and I HATE him the books. It's not a switch I'm too comfortable with.

Finally, I'd just like to applaud Kristen Stewart. I thought she was pretty awesome. I'd been the most worried about her, and I think she played her part pretty well. Also, props to Peter Facinelli. He was the most believable vampire. He was BEAUTIFUL and looked soooo good playing baseball. Also, Ashley Greene was a wonderful Alice. I am soooo excited to see what she'll do in New Moon. Kellan Lutz as well. He was waaaay Emmett-like. Lastly, Billy Burke was a pleasant surprise as Charlie. I had a crush on him by the movie's end ;) . Very nice.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

My thought on the actors:
Rob--GREAT!! I was skeptical when they cast him but I think he did a great job portraying Edward.
Kristen--Meh, not the worst Bella they could have gotten, but didn't wow me.
Ashley--PERFECT!!! She is Alice to me now!
Jackson--Loved him! Great Jasper!
Peter--He IS Carlisle. Perfectly amazing
Nikki--Good. She played an angry Rosalie well.
Kellan--He was so fantastic! Love him!
Liz--Exceeded my expectations. She played a very sweet Esme.
Taylor--Pretty good, didn't wow me, but good.
Billy (as Charlie)--He did well showing Charlie's fatherly side while still being shy about sharing feelings.
Nomads: WOW. Victoria was amazing, James was great, and Laurent did waaay better than I thought. Kudos to all!
Humans: Good, except Jessica bothered me. She played the part well then I guess, because I think it was more the character than the actress.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
CullenByAssociation
Settled in Forks

Post by CullenByAssociation »

overall, I felt the actors in the movie meshed really well - Rob and Kristen complimented each other and I think that they are well-suited to the roles.

Bella: Kristen was a good Bella in my opinion. There definitely could've been more emotion and i-love-you feeling towards Edward at times, but after I watched the movie the second time, I felt like her acting in some parts could be seen more as Bella's confusion when she's "dazzled" by Edward (which is just about all the time LOL). And I thought that the natural beauty she had was perfect compared to the "done-up" style that her classmates had.

Edward: I think Rob did a great job, really showing his inner struggles and emotions, the facial expressions... and the quick back-and-forth from angry to caring was perfect - And tho the line was never asked in the movie, he definitely "dazzled" me ;) **saw comments about him saying "sex, money, etc..." in the restaurant and I agree on some level that he wouldn't have been so blunt about it at that point of the "relationship", but then again, I would think that in his mind (especially taking into consideration the peoples' whose minds he was reading) "love" and "sex" might be 2 separate things . So I don't really mind that the script was written that way.

Carlisle: Peter seemed to be exactly how I envisioned Carlisle in my mind - had the compassionate doctor thing down and was definitely the calm and collected dad too

For the rest of the Cullens, I wished that the scripts allowed the characters to have more depth but I think all the actors were smart choices... Esme: Liz fit the part, definitely had the maternal warmth that Esme has, Alice: I think Ashley was a great Alice! Dainty, sweet, and energetic with that ballerina-feeling, Jasper: Jackson was a perfect compliment to Ashley's Alice - LOVED him in the baseball scene! Emmett: Kellan as Emmett was perfect - pretty much what I felt Emmett would be like. Rosalie: Nikki was an outstanding Rosalie - I really wanted to jump through the screen and smack her a few times LOL

Jacob: I wasn't sure about Taylor as Jacob at first, but I think he was a good choice - had that best-friend-but-kinda-crushing-on-you thing with Bella. And I thought the tension between him and Edward at the prom was GREAT!

Charlie: Billy definitely mixed the caring-dad with the awkwardness of not having seen his daughter in a while. Also had a great bit of comic relief in the film too.

Billy: Gil was spot-on - just like I would think Billy would be, from buddy-buddy with Jacob right down to that evil eye he gave to Edward!

James: Cam... wow. Definitely bad-a$$ with the sick sense of humor. A perfect James! Victoria: Rachelle was a great choice as Victoria - the wild hair obviously sold me too. Can't wait to see her in the upcoming films. Laurent: It was a small part, but Edi was perfect in the role!

Classmates: Mike Welch was just how I thought Mike Newton should be - the outgoing popular guy who was definitely getting on my nerves. Eric wasn't as dorky as he was in the book (almost seemed like an Eric/Ben mix), but I think Justin portrayed him extremely well. Angela seemed more gossipy then the shy Angela in the book, but I think Christian did well in playing her. Based on the book and Midnight-Sun perceptions we get of Jessica, I think Anna did great making her self-absorbed and swooning over Mike all the time.
Rob
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Rob »

To be completely honest I get the feeling that Kristen does not get the reaction she really deserved because her audience was mostly FEMALE! Rob of course is getting all the attention because all the girls are swooning over him. From a straight guy's perspective:
Rob: Very good. He always seemed to be thinking something else while saying what he was, which is totally Edward. He did seem a bit dark sometimes, and a little rushed in his speech but certain things can be overlooked in a book - movie interpretation.

Kristen: Captured Bella excellently. She had that subtle beauty that could not be explained in words. She wasn't quite as helpless as Bella should be though. I see Bella as being dangerously unaware of just how klutsy and...well...small she is(small isn't quite the right word but i couldn't think of anything else).

All of the Cullens were cast perfectly. I have no complaints with them at all.

Jacob had such a little part that any judging at all would be completely unfair.

Charlie was...well...less fat and lazy than i pictured (lol). This was a good thing though, i see him differently now when i read the books and i appreciate him as Bella's father more.

All of the students were spot on IMO, except for Mike. I was picturing a harder/stronger person, minus the letterman jacket. They seemed to play him up as the most panzy looking jock in the world, and i think he should be a tougher non-jock type.

Im done ranting. :)
By holyguacamole43 at 2008-05-31
twilight_fanpire
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by twilight_fanpire »

I think that the whole cast did a great job but the ones that stood out the most for me were Rob, Kellan, Jackson, Rachelle and Ashley. I think they were amazing and they stole the show. I have no complaints!
Bulldozer Trainee in EDC,Inc.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.." <3 E<3B
pamplemousse
Settled in Forks

Post by pamplemousse »

navarre wrote:
fueledbyedward wrote:Robert, Robert, Robert. I think they chose the right actor looks wise, but that's about it. Robert is undeniably gorgeous and his crooked smile is absolutely stunning, but it's not enough to excuse his acting. He did not capture Edward's character as well as he should have. But the blame can only go so far because he didn't write the script or direct the movie. Catherine Hardwicke is to blame for that. She really destroyed Edward's character. Would he have grabbed her arm like that the way he did before the "meadow" scene? No. He would have left her arm covered in bruises (that really, really bothered me), and he just wouldn't have ever even dared to touch her that way. Would he have left her dangling in a tree without holding on to her for dear life? No. Would he have left her immediately after the accident with Tyler? No. She just did not consider Edward's overprotective, affectionate nature, and for that his performance as Edward suffered. But Robert has incredibly tough shoes to fill, and for that I give him credit. But he had better step it up for New Moon.

They definitely could have done a better job with the development of the characters. We barely got to know any of the Cullens, aside from Edward. It was a little disappointing. It's hard to belive Catherine Hardwicke actually read the books.
Exactly!! Not only Catherine but Melissa Rosenburg - she needs to seriously read the books.
Robert needs to go back and reread Edward and not portray him as weak, unsure and angsty.
Kristen - Just loosen up and stop acting like you hate doing this. That was my impression.
Ashley, Nikki, Kellan and Taylor along with the Forks High crowd and the nomads were all great.
Yes, I liked Peter & Elizabeth too.

I totally agree with both of you.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the movie. It was amazing. But really. Let's be honest here.
It does not seem like Catherine or Melissa read the book, or understood it.
They de-emphasized crucial scenes and added way too much fluff.
The minor characters were extremely under-developed.

But let's start with what i DID like...

The actors were fantastic. I thought they all played their parts extremely well. The actors playing Esme, Carlisle, Alice, Rosalie, and Emmett all get tens from me. Edward and Bella get sevens because it really didn't seem like either of them showed much emotion to me. A lot of it seemed forced :/

I loved the prom scene. Even though it wasn't exactly like the book, I think they way they did it with the little hotel and stuff was much better for a movie than how it was written, in the gym and everything. This was just more aesthetically appealing. Very nice. I would have liked to see Bella a little more upset about going to the prom. In the movie she, a) knew she was going and b) was fine with that. And we all know that is so not Bella :]

I thought the following scenes were not done very well:
The Meadow: This is obviously a very very important part of the book. It's like a special place for them and something thats carried through the next books. In the movie it was made completely unimportant. If you hadn't read the book, you wouldn't even know the meadow part existed. I didn't like how Edward didn't sparkle in the sun and show her his strength & all that while they were there. All it was was like showing them lying together for like half a second. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with this. And Edward wasn't even scared/worried about taking her into the woods alone like in the book. It was like, all of a sudden, they were just chilling all the time, no big deal. Edward's self-control issues and worries were really not shown.

The Lullaby Part: Once again, no mention was made of what part it was actually supposed to be. Edward never mentioned anything about playing her lullaby, it was just like two seconds of him randomly playing a piano then boom, next scene. uhh, what?

The Hotel Scene: I'm talking about the part where Bella, Alice, and Jasper are in the hotel waiting for the rest to catch James & all that. All the movie had was the three of them sitting in some random hotel room [umm, how did they even get there? where are they? Let's just leave it to the viewers to figure that out, I guess.] and Alice randomly drawing the ballet studio, then three seconds later, Bella easily escapes the hotel and goes right to meet James. We all know she was supposed to escape from the airport. I guess that part's not that important, but still. And we also all know that Alice would totally have seen Bella's plan to just sneak right behind her out the door. And wouldn't she or Jasper have been able to smell her getting away or something? You'd think.

Overall, though, I loved this movie. I'd give it nine out of ten stars, just cause it's Twilight and i adore it already :]
But if I hadn't read the book, I would say it was EXTREMELY choppy [there was NO flow of the scenes, it was just like one shot, then another...super random and hard to follow] and kinda mediocre. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one though, but hopefully they work on their editing. That's all :]

I'm still going to see it several more times :D
made bymayde at the vesparium.
snow
Settled in Forks

Post by snow »

Kristen/Bella: Okay, at first, but in the hospital scence when she freaks out that Ed is leaving... OMG, it made me cry!
Jacob/Taylor: He looks like "I know I'm hot" all the time...
Ashley/Alice: Perfect.
Billy Black/Gil: Awsome! And such a cute old man! I want to give him a kiss! :D
Billy/Charlie: Awsome Charlie!
Rachelle/Victoria: Super!
Jackson/Jasper: What's with the constipated face?
Jessica and Mike: Rocked!