Athletes Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
srabrgr
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Athletes Thread

Post by srabrgr »

Ok, well this may be slightly off topic, but not by far so here it goes.

A couple days ago I majorly bummed my knee out, It is really difficult to walk now, let alone run and volleyball season is coming up :? . So I was wondering if any of the other athletes out there had any ideas to help it heal faster from your own sports-related injury experiance (although I hope you are lucky enough to have not had one).

I've tried heat and ice packs but they only help for 30minutes or so.
"Don't forget those sparklin' day walkers!"
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Uh, nice topic indeed...I'm very into sports.

I have practiced karate at semi-professional level for 10 years but I had to quit when I started college.
Now I play rugby, I'm a prop/locker. My team is in the first division. I also take some boxe classes now and then for the muscles.
I like demanding and tough sports...though I guess rugby does not sound familiar to all the Americans in here.

By the way...anyone would like to explain me anything about lacrosse? We don't have it in Italy and I'm fascinated by it...
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

xoPearl_Angelxo
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xoPearl_Angelxo »

I run cross-country but I love to play tennis and volley-ball as well. I like to be athletic because team sports let you just hang out with people you know and have fun with. Tennis has been big because my dad absolutely adores the sport and I like spending time with him on the tennis corts once in a while!
APPC

avatar by *cullens & converse @ Vesperarium

Read My All Original Twilight Fanfic - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4277830/1/T ... everything
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I do volleyball. I've been playing since I was 12 with Starlings Volleyball Club (best in the world, at least for poor people) and I'm on varsity at my high school. We have a decent chance at winning league this year, but tomorrow we have a game against the team to beat :?
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
maggiepants
Wandering Through Town

Post by maggiepants »

I've been playing tennis for the past 13-14ish years. I was on varsity all 4 years of high school, and I went to summer training camps to play. I desperately miss playing everyday like I used to, but I guess that comes with growing up.
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Post by Nena »

Yay, this is a fun thread... for us the athletes that is... I play Volleyball... I am an old woman now, so I play for fun with a group of young adults in a church league.
When I was in junior high I played Softball, and Soccer, then in high school I played Volley ball and a little soccer. Out of school I did gymnastics and swimming. I love sports, and always have. I hope all of you can keep it up, it's hard once you are out of school.

srabrgr: I am sorry about your knee. I have had injuries in the past and they all have been different, from bruises to fractures. My advise is to have your injury checked by a sports medicine physician to see the level of your injury. For pulled tendons and muscles, hot and cold patches have done it for me. I have never injured my knees besides wood floor burns (ouch), but I know knee injuries can be serious. Seriously have it seen by a professional if you can. I used to work at an Orthopedic hospital and 95% of the knew surgery patients where athletes :(
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

I have softball practice tonight, even though it's only October and our Jamboree isn't even until February, but that's good becuase we aren't going to be any good at all this year. We lost 5 players and a coach, plus we're having a JV team that we're going to end up coaching, and there is going to be a lot of mess on our team with the 7th and 8th graders because our "coach" probably isn't going to actually separate us into two teams.

And our catcher's little sister has a guaranteed spot on the team even though:
a) she's in 7th grade
b) most of us weren't even allowed to try out in 8th grade
c) notice above the words TRY OUT. Yeah, we all had to do that.
d) she's not really even that good. I mean, she's pretty good for HER AGE, but she is definitely not the best thing that has stepped on that field, not even for her age.

So she is coming to practice tonight, even though it is for us already on the team; we even put it together becuase we know we need to start practicing early this year. Plus, she's been doing all our fundraisers, so of course, we all feel that we are getting robbed, becuase we all had to work really hard for our spots, and she just walks in the school and has it handed to her on a silver platter. :evil:

EDIT 9:30pm
Whew! I just got back, and I'm not gonna be able to walk tomorrow. Danggg, I"m out of shape. Apparently, this was a practice where anyone could come, try-outers included. Blechh. They didn't do much though.
Wooo! Who's the new varsity first-baseman? Me! Oh yeahh.
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
CullenxLove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: frolicing through the unicorn forest that is RPattz's hair

Post by CullenxLove »

srabrgr wrote:Ok, well this may be slightly off topic, but not by far so here it goes.

A couple days ago I majorly bummed my knee out, It is really difficult to walk now, let alone run and volleyball season is coming up :? . So I was wondering if any of the other athletes out there had any ideas to help it heal faster from your own sports-related injury experiance (although I hope you are lucky enough to have not had one).

I've tried heat and ice packs but they only help for 30minutes or so.

ah, volley ball? that sucks because i know volleyball is intense on your knees.. but you most likely just have to wait it out. just leave it be and rest alot, otherwise it wont heal properly and will probably take longer to heal if you keep irritating it.
last year during soccer season i twisted my ankle all the way around and i had to be out for the rest of the season, it sucked but im glad that i just rested and waited until next season. because now this time around im a little bit more cautious and well prepared. plus, if i kept trying to play on my bad ankle it probably never would have healed.

Team Edward, Emmett, Alice, Jacob, Garrett, Jasper, Seth, Bella, Charlie, and Renesmee<3
"And by the way I adore you..in frightening, dangerous ways" - Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
dnaz
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by dnaz »

I did the 100 meter dash, long jump(both those where in my early days) then i moved over to shot put and discus. i also weight lifted a little bit in highschool(didnt like the burn so i quit ^.^ and the fact that i didnt like it too)
Randomness Regular!
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by museicalking »

mized martial arts & kickboxing
soccer
street hockey
baseball
running
swimming...

im so tired all the time
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3