Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
maybeshescrazy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Twilight Movie~Actors' Performances

Post by maybeshescrazy »

Just like someone defended Kristen's performance earlier, I'm going to defend Rob against the people who say that he wasn't "angsty" enough. You can ignore me if you like because the movie hasn't even been premiered over here yet so it's not as if I've seen it. However, my best friend is Edward (apart from the male/female thing) - I recognise all of Edward's "angst", lack of self-esteem, emotion, pain etc. in her, but only because I'm her best friend. Nobody else notices it, people like that are just generally really good at hiding it (especially when you've been that way for over a century!). If you look at the books closely you'll see that it's only at the end of New Moon when Bella actually begins to recognise his pain and emotion really clearly.
Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's necessary for Rob to play Edward as an open manic-depressive. It's a movie - we're on the sidelines, we're not even in Bella's head any more. We only see what we would from an objective perspective, which is why it's difficult turning a first-person book into a third-person film. Don't be too harsh. ;)

BTW - I could well change my mind in three weeks time. Wait and see :D
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

maybeshescrazy wrote:Just like someone defended Kristen's performance earlier, I'm going to defend Rob against the people who say that he wasn't "angsty" enough. You can ignore me if you like because the movie hasn't even been premiered over here yet so it's not as if I've seen it. However, my best friend is Edward (apart from the male/female thing) - I recognise all of Edward's "angst", lack of self-esteem, emotion, pain etc. in her, but only because I'm her best friend. Nobody else notices it, people like that are just generally really good at hiding it (especially when you've been that way for over a century!). If you look at the books closely you'll see that it's only at the end of New Moon when Bella actually begins to recognise his pain and emotion really clearly.
Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's necessary for Rob to play Edward as an open manic-depressive. It's a movie - we're on the sidelines, we're not even in Bella's head any more. We only see what we would from an objective perspective, which is why it's difficult turning a first-person book into a third-person film. Don't be too harsh. ;)

BTW - I could well change my mind in three weeks time. Wait and see :D
Well said. Also, you can't really blame Rob for the "not angsty enough". Everyone on the cast and crew pretty much said Rob was always playing it too angsty and they had to remind him to lighten up. They didn't want Edward to seem so depressed in the movie.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
KaitElisa
Settled in Forks

Post by KaitElisa »

monkey
Last edited by KaitElisa on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mom4twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by mom4twilight »

I had a bit of a problem with Kristen's performance. She stammered through her lines a bit too much for me. It was distracting and it kept reminding me that she was an actress playing a part. I felt that all of the other actors/actresses in the movie totally embodied their rolls. Rob was Edward, Kellan was Emmett and so on. While watching Kristen in most of her scenes I just continued to think "wow, she is totally improvising this and the director is letting her and she is not doing a very good job." This was expecially true in the hospital scene when Edward suggested that he should leave. I thought that she was the most believable in the ballet studio, she played the very dramatic action scenes better than the more subtle, emotional scenes in my opinion.
Also, I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum to mention this, but while I am on the subject of Kristen, does anyone else find her to be totally rude and obnoxious in interviews? At first I thought maybe she was just nervous and didn't deal well with hype and attention, but the more I see her in interviews on TV and read her interviews in magazines I get the impression that she just thinks she is too good for all of this. I would think that she might be a little more gracious and appreciative of this amazing breakout role and built in fan base that she was given. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy...
simonsays
Settled in Forks

Post by simonsays »

did anyone else notice how skinny angela was? like seriously eat something
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

I still feel they have the right cast, but they seriously need to re-read the books and get in touch with their inner characters.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

Edward: I thought he did pretty good. Seeing the movie, I can't picture anyone else playing Edward even though when I first heard Rob was playing the part I was skeptical but he did a very good job. I was impressed. He was very weird and vampirish ! lol

Bella: She was good but she seemed awkward in most of her emotions. I just didn't feel the love she had for Edward, I guess with reading the book and it being from her point of view .... during the movie I felt like he honestly loved her and it was just a crush for her..

I think part of the reason she did such a good job as Bella is the fact that both of there personalities (Bella & Kristen's) seem so similar. IDK, like from watching her in interviews and on screen. It seemed like she was basically almost playing herself in this role.

Jacob: He made me view book Jacob differently.lol I loved Jacob/Taylor he was just so adorable, I have nothing bad to say except the fact that I wished he had more scenes. :x He's so cute !

Billy & Charlie:I think he brought more to the character. I loved Charlie in the book and loved him more in the film. He did an awesome job.

I just really hated the fact they put the diner scene's in the movie -- I don't know why they did that but I hated it. I think it messed up the relationship he and Bella had in the book. I think the cooking Bella did in the book was a good part of there relationship.

Oh, and Billy ... I really had no views on Billy when reading the book but I did like him a lot in the movie. Him and Charlie's relationship (even though they didn't show much of it) was great. You could really tell they were good friends. :lol: And the slang, hilarious!

Renee: Just how I pictured her. She did seem young, and bubbly. I could really tell how much more mature Bella was compared to her mom. She was funny when she asked Bella "Are you being safe." :shock: and the scene when Bella was in the hospital, loved it.

Rosalie: She did a good job, the only complaint I have was her look.. she's not how I pictured Rosalie with the description of her being like the most beautiful thing. :? Just didn't see it but whatever, it's about the acting and I think she did her job well. She was very cold just how I imagined.

Alice: LOVED ALICE ! Perfect ! She was so bubbly and just Alice, I did laugh out loud on the scene when Bella came to the Cullens home and Alice gave Bella a hug. It was just so weird to me because Alice was so happy and bouncy and Bella had this sorta look like :?

Emmett: Couldn't picture a better Emmett, good job. Wish he had more lines. He was funny.

Jasper: His "pained" expressions were funny, it was weird. I thought he could have did better with that :roll:

Esme: She seemed motherly. ;)

Carlisle: When I first realized Peter was playing Carlisle, I knew he'd do a great job and he did ! He looked the part (blonde, young-looking and very attractive) and the acting was good too. He was my Carlisle. :D He was very fatherly and compassionate. The hair looked weird on him, so fake looking but he did look vampirish, him and Edward did the most out of all the Cullens.

The Nomads: James: One of my favorite characters in the movie, I actually found myself almost upset that he had to die because of such a great job he did. Superb job! Loved him as James.
Laurent: Good ! Victoria, she's not how I pictured Victoria to look but she did a great job, she was scary her and James.

Forks Kids: Eric was just annoying, he did a great job. I found myself rolling my eyes every time he spoke which is the same thing I did in the book. Although I pictured him gross-looking in the book. :lol: Mike was cool. Angela, not what I expected. Liked her character in the book more. :? Angela was Angela. lol
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

I thought Robert Pattinson worked well with Edward's personality. I love how he would be sarcastically funny, but then you definitely saw his serious side. Just like the book! *sigh* I think I kept jumping to conclusions because he was in one of the "Harry Potter" movies (which I absolutely hate, btw.) But I loved him as Edward. Kristen Stewart, she fit the "clumsy Bella" as well. All in all, I think they did cast the right people and can NOT wait until "New Moon" hits theaters. I wonder who will be in that one?
CullenxLove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: frolicing through the unicorn forest that is RPattz's hair

Post by CullenxLove »

anything bad i said about rob i take back. lol i actually now think he did an amazing job, and i really felt all of the pain and emotion.. i dont know lol

Team Edward, Emmett, Alice, Jacob, Garrett, Jasper, Seth, Bella, Charlie, and Renesmee<3
"And by the way I adore you..in frightening, dangerous ways" - Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
wildroses
Fishing with Charlie

Post by wildroses »

navarre wrote:I still feel they have the right cast, but they seriously need to re-read the books and get in touch with their inner characters.
i pretty much agree with you.
i think it was upsetting how they took away some of the key elements to the characters' personalities.
like how bella cooks. :?
randomness bum<3