Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Post by navarre »

Here's something that I thought was funny:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/galleryfea ... photoidx=1

Click on the photo of Rob & Kristen in the woods and the script is to the right.

Hope it works.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
lyssa73
Settled in Forks

Post by lyssa73 »

ive only read the first review before i decided i should get my own thoughts off my chest before continuing:

i completely 100% agree with apparition.

i kept all those same things in mind when going to see the movie and decided to give the actors (especially kristen and robert, who i really find to not fit their roles AT ALL) the benefit of the doubt.

but i was extremely disappointed from start to finish.

i understand that they were trying to appeal to a larger audience, but they chose to do this book because its a success! exactly the way it is. its a love story. sorry, its not an action or thriller or horror story. its a love story plain and simple. and the romance is developed over time. she falls in love with him because as she says, he wants so badly to be good that he fights against everything he is. the book spends half the time developing their relationship and the other half solidifying it (when he wasnt sure if he could keep her alive) all the way til edward has to suck the venom out of her bite wound. the movie was not aiming for the same goal. they rushed through the relationship, putting them together almost immediately, just to get to the part where he saves her life. i guess thats what they thought the viewers would find romantic? that hes a super strong monster who wont kill her and protects her from other demons. seriously? that was supposed to make us swoon?

my first reaction when the credits rolled was, what the hell? followed by vast sadness. i know that money was an issue too, but seriously, the director had an entirely different motivator than the original author. the movie makers, it appeared, were trying to cash in off a phenomenon while the author was writing a story (with no intent to publish) because "it needed to be told." that makes all the difference in quality. i think steph should have held out for a better script. better to wait 15 years and get a incredible and breathtaking, than 5 just to strike while the iron is hot.
lyssa73
Settled in Forks

Post by lyssa73 »

navarre wrote:To say that I was disappointed is the understatement of the century! Here's how I saw it:
1) Edward was made into a weak and angsty person. No life, no passion - just angst. In the book Edward came alive when he was in Bella's room and heard his name on her lips. I know Rob is better than this, but he needs to go back and reread Twilight and the manuscript of MS. Edward was portrayed as weak and unsure. He was actually a very confident poised individual that was still trying to reconcile who he was on some levels. Rob just did not get it.

2) Bella(Kristen) was stiff, uncomfortable and stilted. Bella learned to unwind and come alive after her relationship with Edward took off - where was the love story? This was an angst story not a love story as it should have been protrayed. I felt that Kristen did not get Bella either. It was like she hated being there.

3) The Meadow seen was butchered!!!! Where was the confession between the two; the intense conversation that started this whole series. Where was Edward telling Bella to "Don't move" and then he slowly glides his nose down her cheekbone, across her jawline, down her throat and runs his nose across her collarbone and then places his cheek against the hollow of her throat and chest and says "Ah". The tenderness and sensuality in that moment was not shown. And how about Bella telling Edward to "Be still" and no one could be still like Edward and she slowly touches her fingertips to his face; his cheekbones, his eyelids, across his forehead and finally to his lips which part under her touch and she feels the coolness of his breath and then he opens his eyes to reveal the hunger in them. That scene was the pivotal point in the book and their love. GONE.

4) Where was Alice? I love Alice.
5)This film was choppy, stilted and ill-written and directed. I mean, did Melissa Rosenberg even read the book?

I know that the film was screwed with the budget and time constraints, but that should never cause the script to be so compromised the way it was. Scenes taken out of context?! I mean, really!!
I am shocked that SM even approved this movie - I would have been very upset with what they did to the book.

Everything was disjointed and everyone with the exception of a select few looked uncomfortable in this film.

I did like Taylor(Jacob). I think he will be great in NM.
I loved the nomads, especially Edi(Laurent) he looked like he got it and Rachael(Victoria) that ending with her in the window watching Edward & Bella was a great send off and segue way to NM and things to come.
I think Ashely(Alice) was very good and Nikki(Rosalie) and Kellan(Emmett).

I truly hope that they will have a bigger budget, better script/screenplay(different writer) and different director because even though I know Catherine is a good director, she just did not get Twilight.

There are other issues but I have hit the main points for me. Please do not take my dislike for the film as in any way a 'hater', because I was saddened by the portrayal of this wonderful love story. I still think they got the right actors for this, but they need to go back and reevalutate their portrayals of these characters and get it right next time or I feel the series will be in deep trouble. It is just my opinion only - so, please no rocks and garbage thrown. Thanks.

^yes. YOU got it. thank god.
freeml
Wandering Through Town

Post by freeml »

Overall I still have mixed feelings about the movie. I think I just need to watch it again before I decide if I like it or not.

But, keeping that in mind, here's what I didn't like:

-Since when are Eric, Tyler, and Mike all "down" with the slang and speaking all "yo yo wat up girl" (haha if you get what I am trying to say)? I know they are supposed to be "typical" high school guys, but I myself don't know many guys who speak like that in real life.

-Why couldn't Jacob reveal the whole story to Bella? I know it ends up giving her a reason to go to the bookstore later, but it's also important for Jacob to break the treaty (which he technically didn't do since he never says what the Cullens are...just that they're "different")

-The "meadow" scene....I think just about everything negative that could be said about it has been said...

-I know that some lines in the book are beyond cheesy. I get it. But I feel like some of the lines in the script (that didn't come straight from the book) were much worse! And the lines that DID come from the book were usually so out of context that they came out forced/awkward.

-The Volvo was a hatchbacK??? It didn't look very sportscar-ish to me (I actually thought the car was adorable, but Edward's car wasn't supposed to be adorable!)

-The Cullens were hardly in the film at all! And we didn't get to hear much of their backstory (or like ANY of it)

--Sometimes the camerawork was so jumpy it made me queasy, and not in a good way...it didn't feel like it added to the film at all, except to make it feel choppy/disjointed/rushed.

-I thought Edward was supposed to find the strength to stop sucking out Bella's blood on his own, not in response to Carlisle saying he was killing her. And that whole conversation right before/during seemed waaaay too calm to me, even for someone as composed as Carlisle!

There are other things I didn't like, but a lot of them are really nit-picky, so I'll just leave it at that.
Last edited by freeml on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~The future's bright, but she is brighter~ Alice's song!!

~And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways~ Midgnight sun
lyssa73
Settled in Forks

Post by lyssa73 »

and more:

i thought the skin sparkle was okay. not as obvious as its described, but pretty.

i loved the baseball scene. that was my favorite part. other than those, i didnt like much else.

im alright with pretty much all the other actors except bella and edward. i dont think kristen really understood bella at all. she said in an interview that edward is dangerous but the thing is "i think bella actually likes it." um no. bella doesnt like that hes dangerous. she doesnt believe he would ever actually harm her. she trusts him limitlessly. and kristens acting the whole time is just awkward. its not natural at all.

and edward... hes supposed to be charming! also just 100% awkward. hes supposed to charm everything and everyone. and he doesnt. at all. not even bella. it wasnt even remotely believable.

something else- someone said that its not supposed to be like romeo and juliet. i think that hits it right on the money. thats what it seemed like they were going for. it made the "romance" seem childish and immature. they dont develop any of the characters at all.

i also was very upset that carlisles history was left out. along with everyone elses.

i, also, just wish they would use the money to redo the first movie. but i would settle for the robert and kristen to be replaced. out of fourteen million copies sold, they couldnt find someone who loved and knew they characters? kristen only read the first book. recently. and she criticized it saying that it was difficult to get through and there were chapters and chapters just devoted to the description of edwards jawline. she just didnt get it.

i hope i dont have to wait 30 years for someone to redo it. :[
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

lyssa73 wrote:i thought the skin sparkle was okay. not as obvious as its described, but pretty.
I actually don't dislike the movie, but I HATED the skin sparkling and the "chiming" sound that went along with it. I thought it looked like perspiration and I was disappointed. Edward should NEVER look like he's sweating. :(
i also was very upset that carlisles history was left out. along with everyone elses.
Until I read this, I hadn't consciously thought about this. I find this very upsetting as well. There was very little Cullen action. I especially miss the hotel scene with Jasper and Alice. I always felt like those scene gave us a strong feel on the kind of person Jasper really is. In the movie, he just looks like a stiff weirdo with a southern accent(which was cute though).
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
morethanmyownlife
Settled in Forks

Post by morethanmyownlife »

Aside from all the suckyness that I completely agree with, my biggest complaint is that Kristen Stewart did not get Bella at all. Bella is funny and sarcastic and clumsy. Kristen was serious, depressing and moody. From the first words out of her mouth, she was not Bella at all. Parts that were funny in the book, were depressing coming out of her mouth.. I know she is a young actress but sheesh... The biggest problem was that these actors ONLY looked the part.. bunch of them really couldn't act the part.. LOOOOOVED Alice though!! she was great!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

morethanmyownlife wrote:Aside from all the suckyness that I completely agree with, my biggest complaint is that Kristen Stewart did not get Bella at all. Bella is funny and sarcastic and clumsy. Kristen was serious, depressing and moody. From the first words out of her mouth, she was not Bella at all. Parts that were funny in the book, were depressing coming out of her mouth.. I know she is a young actress but sheesh... The biggest problem was that these actors ONLY looked the part.. bunch of them really couldn't act the part.. LOOOOOVED Alice though!! she was great!
Exactly!!
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
_thewayhedazzledme_
Settled in Forks

Post by _thewayhedazzledme_ »

I dont think kristen was that bad, but the screen play writer wrote Bella's lines bad. We shouldn't blame Kristen because Bella came off as bland we should just blame the bad script that she had to read. Bella should be awkard, extrmely clumsy, and very sarcastic thats what makes her character not just...Blah.
Lilpaws
Settled in Forks

Post by Lilpaws »

I saw the movie today...

Eveyone seemed beautiful and appropriate for their role.

First I must say I am about to finish Eclipse, making my way through the series. Love it so far.

I had heard a lot of negative talk about the flim before I went to the movie, so I was perpared for whatever my experience would be.

I have to say, from my heart, it was comforting to see the characters come to life on the screen. Twilight the book, blew me away with the romance between Bella and Edward. The moive however, did not.

Did anyone involved in the film read the book? Was there any input from Stephenie while the scenes were being formulated? I am not sure what went wrong, but like most of you-I did not see the "LOVE STORY" being formed, the tenderness, patience, and yearning for one another was not there. Did the actors even read the book?

I also didn't get the "underwear" scene...I didn't picture Bella in her underwear when Edward was in her room-that was odd....

There are so many things I want to comment on, for now I will mostly focus on how poorly they established Edward and Bella's relationship. Perhaps they could not figure out how to expand on the elusiveness of their love- I am not sure if they knew how. I also agree, I felt the rushing throughout the film to be quite distracting. It was almost as if they were trying to get to some kind of ending, rather than understanding that in the book- there was no means to an end.

In the book, Edward and Bella, when they were together could not keep their hands to themselves-in a tender and loving way. In the movie, was it just me, or did they hardly touch one another? Perhaps they were afraid to show the tenderness between them, for fear of it being too sickly sweet? That is why I loved reading Twilight, it was BECAUSE OF THE FEELINGS BETWEEN BELLA AND EDWARD!!! Especially the way that Edward treated Bella. His protectiveness of her, not wanting to leave her side- I didn't see it in the movie or perhaps heard one line-"don't slip or try to walk without falling??""

Honestly-the book was filled with so many details on why they fell in love with each other, that it might have been better to do a prelude to Twilight....setting the stage, sort of an introduction to the characters. Especially Bella and Edward's relationship.

There was NOT enough ELABORATION in this movie on many levels. If I had not read the book, I might not feel so robbed of "what could have been" made to come to life on screen....or what perhaps CAN"T be made? Maybe we are all upset that in essence, the affliation, devotion and hunger that Bella and Edward had for each other can really only exhist in our minds...