Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
BrandOfHeroine
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Emily Young

Post by BrandOfHeroine »

I think Emily is a complex character, although we don't get to see much of her.
One thing, though. Did she already marry Sam? I think I missed that, or something.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

sunni wrote:
Topaz wrote:she's injured Leah simply by existing. I'd love to hear her side of the imprinting experience.
Actually, I didn't really like her for this very reason. Out of Sam and Emily, Emily is the one who had the choice and free-will to decide whether or not she wanted a relation with Sam. It doesn't matter if he imprinted on her, she still had a choice regardless. She was presented with her heartbroken cousin and a guy she barely knew suddenly showing her affection. He attacked her (of course, because of the werewolf thing) and yet in the end, she still choose him???

If my sister's/cousin's/friend's husband suddenly left them and instantly showed an obsession with me, I would NEVER pursue a relationship with said person. I think it was unfair and wrong on Emily's behalf.

I can't base my like/dislike for her on much else just for the reason that she was pretty one-dimensional. I don't think she was around enough or explained enough for me to comment on her any further...
Topaz wrote:I also like her because she's one of the few characters whose beauty is marred somehow.
Interesting point. It's a nice contrast to the fact that nearly all of the rest of the characters were sosososo gorgeous.
You pointed something interesting- she could have refused Sam. She had a choice. But the thing is, Sam was not going back to Leah and, in the end, everybody would be unhappy. Imprinting is something that happens. It's no one's fault. And I think even Leah would be miserable if her cousin missed a chance of being happy.
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

I know I will be argued on this point, but IMO, Emily did not have quite as much of a choice as everyone would like to think. Here's how Jacob puts it "She was real angry, in the beginning. But it's hard to resist that level of commitment and adoration." I am in no way denying that Emily had the choice of being with Sam or not, but it's so much love, that I think she would have given in sometime. Imprinting is so strong, and the other person is so right for you, why would you resist?
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i agree. imagine that there was this wonderful man who loved you more than anything, and i'm not talking high school lovers here, i'm talking REAL TRUE LOVE, and who could PROMISE he'd never move on or leave you and could totally promise complete devotion. the ONLY thing wrong with him is that he was with your cousin. no matter what, he can't go back to her though, and if he could you know that you'd send him packing in a heartbeat. could you resist that level of love?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i agree. imagine that there was this wonderful man who loved you more than anything, and i'm not talking high school lovers here, i'm talking REAL TRUE LOVE, and who could PROMISE he'd never move on or leave you and could totally promise complete devotion. the ONLY thing wrong with him is that he was with your cousin. no matter what, he can't go back to her though, and if he could you know that you'd send him packing in a heartbeat. could you resist that level of love?
Yes, but you know, HOFJ, it must be odd have someone imprinting on you. Because the person may not even know you, or even see you before and just like that it's bounded to you in this way. It's kind of... wow. Take Emily's example. she just went to pay a visit and then the guy who was dating Emily is, suddently, swearing eternal love, two storied house, with white fance, a dog and a couple of kids. It must be disturbing. But, as you said, how come you could deny something like this. Someone who will love you forever, no matter what, forever. But it's a strange kind of love.
jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by jonsgirljen »

rapidheartbeat<3twi wrote:Here's how Jacob puts it "She was real angry, in the beginning. But it's hard to resist that level of commitment and adoration." I am in no way denying that Emily had the choice of being with Sam or not, but it's so much love, that I think she would have given in sometime. Imprinting is so strong, and the other person is so right for you, why would you resist?
I totally agree. You put into words exactly what I wanted to convey. Imprinting doesn't leave a choice, not really. I mean, seriously, how could you not choose to be with someone that completely loves you, would do anything for you, and you know that somewhere deep down you feel the same way. Yes, there could've been another choice, the choice where everyone would end up miserable, but good would that do. It would only turn everyone bitter. In my view, there is no choice when it comes to imprinting.
Jane V
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jane V »

i agree that it would be hard to resist that level of adoration.

but, ok, i'm sorry, i find werewolf imprinting a little....i don't know how to say this....creepy? *please don't throw things at me*! :P

i don't mean that in a mean way, honestly. but like someone said, it could be some complete stranger that you've never seen before; he's never seen you before, and all of a sudden, bam, he loves you , he can't live without you. i'd be like WHAT?? i'd think he was a creep or pervert or something. [not that i'm saying any of the wolves are those things. the wolves are awesome! :mrgreen: ]

anyway, i feel so sorry for Emily, Leah, and Sam. especially Leah. i mean, it's your COUSIN. not just some stranger, a BLOOD RELATION!
"quite a pity how things turned out, isn't it?" -Jane, Eclipse

something you didn't know about the Volturi:
Felix has a medical condition. it's called Obsessive Winking Disorder. don't tell him i told you
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i don't particularly like the concept of imprinting. it is, to put it bluntly, creepy. plus it takes a lot of the romance out of love, for me. the adventure and the excitement and the fear and scariness. that's what makes it worthwhile.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

Very interesting point HOFJ. It's one of the most animal things about the pack. Even though Jacob is always trying to convince Bella that he's normal and Edward's not, imprinting is pretty un-normal. Plus, one of the big reasons I never wanted Jacob and Bella to be together is that I imagined the possablity of Jacob imprinting: He obviously wasn't imprinting on Bella, because as we know it happens at first sight. Imagine if Bella had given up on Edward, loved Jacob, they got married, maybe had kids, and then . . . Jacob imprinted on someone else. It would be like Leah's heartbreak times ten. And the 'Emily' in this case would be in a horrible position: tempted to love a man who devoted his entire self to her, but she would also be taking away a husband and father (if it went as far as marriage and kids, assuming). Now I KNOW that not every wolf imprints, but the possability is always out there.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
bubblylittlealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by bubblylittlealice »

lol when ever i think if her or see her name it reminds me of the treehouse show 'this is Emily Young' :lol:
random i know but it does....
'I think she’s having hysterics. Maybe you should slap her'-Alice Cullen
I'm betting on Alice ;)
Jasper Hale can mess with my emotions any day