Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby morethanmyownlife » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:48 am

Lilpaws wrote:I saw the movie today...


I also didn't get the "underwear" scene...I didn't picture Bella in her underwear when Edward was in her room-that was odd...



That is such a good point! That's because Bella wore her sweatpants and her holey shirt to bed lol I didn't even realize.
morethanmyownlife
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby morethanmyownlife » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:59 am

_thewayhedazzledme_ wrote:I dont think kristen was that bad, but the screen play writer wrote Bella's lines bad. We shouldn't blame Kristen because Bella came off as bland we should just blame the bad script that she had to read. Bella should be awkard, extrmely clumsy, and very sarcastic thats what makes her character not just...Blah.



I would have to disagree. It is not the lines that are written that are her fault, but it is the way that she says them, the way that she portrayed Bella, that is 100% her fault. Not to mention, that the lines that were said by Kristen, that sounded too serious and depressing, are lines straight out of the book, where Bella is sarcastic and funny in their context. They were written by the author, not the screen play writers or whatever. Lines don't change, words are still words on a paper. It depends on how you say the words and how you carry yourself with you body language. What makes the difference between good acting and bad acting? There is a reason that Katherine Heigl, for example, is the highest paid actress in Hollywood. It is because she is the best. The screen play is totally different. They tell her to DO certain things, walk in a certain direction, shake violently, whatever. But if you read Twilight outloud, word for word, completely monotone, well that wouldn't be due to anyone's screenplay directing you to do it. She was just awful.
morethanmyownlife
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby _thewayhedazzledme_ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:41 am

CindyBlack wrote:thewayhedazzledme
I pretty much agree with everything lol, couldn't have said it better myself.


Thanks
_thewayhedazzledme_
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 am

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby _thewayhedazzledme_ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:45 am

morethanmyownlife wrote:
_thewayhedazzledme_ wrote:I dont think kristen was that bad, but the screen play writer wrote Bella's lines bad. We shouldn't blame Kristen because Bella came off as bland we should just blame the bad script that she had to read. Bella should be awkard, extrmely clumsy, and very sarcastic thats what makes her character not just...Blah.



I would have to disagree. It is not the lines that are written that are her fault, but it is the way that she says them, the way that she portrayed Bella, that is 100% her fault. Not to mention, that the lines that were said by Kristen, that sounded too serious and depressing, are lines straight out of the book, where Bella is sarcastic and funny in their context. They were written by the author, not the screen play writers or whatever. Lines don't change, words are still words on a paper. It depends on how you say the words and how you carry yourself with you body language. What makes the difference between good acting and bad acting? There is a reason that Katherine Heigl, for example, is the highest paid actress in Hollywood. It is because she is the best. The screen play is totally different. They tell her to DO certain things, walk in a certain direction, shake violently, whatever. But if you read Twilight outloud, word for word, completely monotone, well that wouldn't be due to anyone's screenplay directing you to do it. She was just awful.


I guess I see what your saying, but Katherine could have directed her to act a certain way also.Idk. I going to go watch it for the secound time tomorrow hopely my opinion changes for the better. Idk though Kristen is still not the reason why I had problems with the movie.
_thewayhedazzledme_
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 am

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby navarre » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:41 pm

morethanmyownlife wrote:
_thewayhedazzledme_ wrote:I dont think kristen was that bad, but the screen play writer wrote Bella's lines bad. We shouldn't blame Kristen because Bella came off as bland we should just blame the bad script that she had to read. Bella should be awkard, extrmely clumsy, and very sarcastic thats what makes her character not just...Blah.



I would have to disagree. It is not the lines that are written that are her fault, but it is the way that she says them, the way that she portrayed Bella, that is 100% her fault. Not to mention, that the lines that were said by Kristen, that sounded too serious and depressing, are lines straight out of the book, where Bella is sarcastic and funny in their context. They were written by the author, not the screen play writers or whatever. Lines don't change, words are still words on a paper. It depends on how you say the words and how you carry yourself with you body language. What makes the difference between good acting and bad acting? There is a reason that Katherine Heigl, for example, is the highest paid actress in Hollywood. It is because she is the best. The screen play is totally different. They tell her to DO certain things, walk in a certain direction, shake violently, whatever. But if you read Twilight outloud, word for word, completely monotone, well that wouldn't be due to anyone's screenplay directing you to do it. She was just awful.


I agree to a point, but SM did NOT write the screenplay, she wrote the book, it was Melissa Rosenberg who adapted the book to script and screwed this up and Hardwickes lousy direction. :x
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby BlueStarlight » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:08 am

First of all, I will say that I loved the movie; I posted in the "I liked it" thread. That being said, there were things I didn't like about the movie.
1. I thought the love story was a bit rushed.
2. I didn't like how they TOTALLY LEFT OUT THE PHYSICALITY between Edward and Bella... there was no tracing each other's facial features from the meadow scene.
3. Did Edward EVER smell Bella???? My mom told me he did when he hesitated before kissing her; I didn't notice that. I'll have to pay more attention when I go see it Saturday.
4. Bella's character was changed so much! She never cooked for Charlie; she had an iPod, a laptop, a cell phone, carried pepper spray, slept in her undies (THAT one bothered me the most).
5. ONE scene of Edward "dazzling" anyone- and that was Jessica and Angela in Port Angeles.

My first impression was that I didn't feel the love between them jump off the screen like it jumped off the page in the book. My friend who went with me differs. I will say that I loved it the first time I saw it, and even MORE the second time.

I think that we are so close to the book that we can't separate the movie from it. I had that problem while watching the movie. E or B would say a line from the book, then a different line or nothing would follow...it felt a little disjointed. I do feel that the story flowed better the second time I saw it.
Image
User avatar
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:55 am
Location: in my field of paper flowers

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby dazzled_101 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:29 pm

I agreed with everyone. I thought the same thing when I saw it the first time. I thought it was just REALLY bad. I was so disappointed. But have you guys tried watching it again? I mean when I watched it again, I LOVED it :D I mean, i thought that bella and edwards relationship when by REALLY fast the first time I saw it, but when you see the movie in someone's perspective that hasnt read the book, there relationship was reasonable. I mean the treetops scene was priceless. I think summit didn a good job on showing there love that way with the lullaby, since they didnt have enough time to include the dozen of conversation they had in the book. And then the scene when Edward spends the night in her bedroom for the first time was also very good! But I think I didnt like the movie the first time I saw it because I was expecting way to much. I expected the dazzling scenes edward gives bella in the book. i expected just WAYYY to much. but the part when edward in the movie is like "everything about me invites you in, my voice, my face, even my smell" pretty sums up it up. My cousin has read it only one time, and she said it was a great movie. That it was very close to the book. And I didnt like it the first time because I didnt know what to expect and have waited so long for the movie. I've read it 7 times, so you can imagine how I could not be disapponted. But now I've watched it 5 times and I LOVE IT. I cry everytime :D I never get bored of the movie and everytime I see it I notice new things that I missed. Like th biolagy scene, I didnt notice bella smelling her hair the first time I watched it because I was so cought up on how funny edwards reactions.

and all of these parts I didnt notice the first time I saw it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/boa ... 770676?p=1

but now since Ive watched it 5 times, I saw ALL of them!
Image
User avatar
dazzled_101
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby cullen grl 17 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:40 pm

i just got back from seeing twilight for the second time, hoping that it would just be better but it wasn't *sighs*. i know that the movie cant be just like the book but there was a lot that didnt happen in the movie that happened in the book. like when they got to do blood typing and edward carries bella to the nurse. when bella goes to sit with edward at lunch. i could go on and on about what the movie was missing. when i first went to see it i was soooo excited about it and then when the movie was over i was like, that was the movie? seriously? in my opionin i thought that the movie ended up being more towards the comedy side then what it really was suppose to be. it seemed like everything out of edwards mouth or any of the other characters mouths was all funny. the book is serious and romantic but the movie was all laughs. i know that there was a lot of work put in to the movie and am glad that there is a movie at all but i just wish that it would have been better. and it seemed that they were rushing the whole movie what with skipping a lot of the scenes that happened in the book. hopefully that New Moon will be better.
***But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,
thou shalt not eat of it;
for in the day that thou eatest thereof
thou shalt surely die***
User avatar
cullen grl 17
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:35 pm
Location: In a world full of Vampires

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby amandaxcullen » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:33 pm

I watched a pirated version on my computer *shun, i know..* anyways but I seemed to like it more than the first time because I just thought of it as a movie as much as I could and it was better.
I still think they need a new screenwriter and director, screenwriter at least.
Doesn't look like it's happening though, I heard Melissa has signed on for the other two "/
*crosses fingers*
Image
Team Jacob!
Because a space heater has more potential than a rock.
User avatar
amandaxcullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 am
Location: interogating Tanya on the whereabouts of Edward..

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby sapphirejade » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Ok, I tried so hard to like it. I was super excited, I read the reviews and thought that because I loved the books, I'd understand the movie better. I think it was because I loved the books that screwed me.

I feel like a large part of what was wrong with the movie was the fact that Hollywood saw this as a cash cow. They didn't focus on the relationships or the part of the books that made it such a gigantic HIT, but instead took the basic bare bones and made it into a movie without the flourish that Twilight contained.

I was so embarrassed watching this movie! Here's why (it's a long list):

1. Edward's hair. Yes. It is an entire entity unto itself. I was distracted to no end watching it. It moved when it wasn't supposed to and it looked like something crawled up and made a nest up there.

2. Bella. She was too inexperienced to be carrying such a heavy and well-known role. She was learning on screen which made it really painful and really annoying to watch. If you don't believe me, think back to the scene in the hospital and her reaction to Edward wanting to leave. Kristen choked-- that was her way of showing Bella's intense emotion and fear. Watching this upset me so much-- partly because New Moon was my favorite of all books and I dread Kristin playing the dead mess that Bella is without Edward.

3. The Port Angeles scene (The restaurant scene and the missing jacket-loaning included). I thought this part was crucial to the book and the movie cut it out. It began with the reason Bella went there-- I actually whispered "Why didn't she just buy it off Amazon" to my sister next to me. Come on, was it that hard to just make Bella say "I like books, I think I'll go check out the bookshop?". I think she could've found all that information on the internet anyway-- she did in the book. Then there was the rescue scene. Edward was not the cool, suave hero he was in the book. There was too much emotion and not enough control. Edward just basically looked so.... human. Then the entire relationship that we see between Edward and Bella in the books is not there. There's no dazzling or the adorable interaction with the waitress or Edward giving Bella his coveted jacket. Where was this?

4. The demise of the wonderful key quotes such as the lion-lamb quote and the entire speech in the meadow where Edward explains why he's so appealing. Edward was so melodramatic. He fell flat of being wild.

5. Jasper. He looked constipated.

6. The underwear making-out scene. Bella would never let Edward see her in her underwear and Edward would never look. He's too modest.

I know, I know. You're probably thinking-- "The book is not the movie". I get that, I love Harry Potter and recognize that the books are different from the movies. But the thing about the HP movies is that they stay true to the characters and what makes them... them. They don't try to change the fundamental basics of Harry or Ron or Hermione. They wouldn't put Hermione in underwear if Ron comes a-calling-- why do it to poor Bella? They don't put Harry's hair into a mohawk but it's ok to do to Edward?

There were some things that I liked. I loved Carlisle and Esme. I thought that casting was wonderful. Emmett was great! I loved the kids at school and Rosalie grew on me (though I always heard her name as Ros-a-lie that rhymes with die). The baseball scene was one of the only parts that made me go, "YES! They got it right!" and I was so happy to see the Charlie I'd imagined on screen and glad that Charlie finally got life. On top of that, I'm eager to see what this Jacob will look like all-grown up. He had so much promise that I found myself drawn to him more than Edward (which is surprising considering I'm a die-hard Bella/Edward fan).

So, in closing, I guess I won't be buying the movie, but I'm still hopeful to see what New Moon can do for us.
sapphirejade
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Twilight Movie

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest