A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Third Wheel

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified? Maybe. Jess probably thought that Bella was ready to get back in the swing of things by going to a movie with her earlier, but after her odd behavior, Jess just didn't want to deal with Bella.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice? Ooo, this is the place that has the strongest connection to Edward; it was their own special sacred place, where they first expressed their feelings to each other and Bella saw Edward for what he truly was. Of ANY place, this one would bring Edward's voice back.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up? *sigh* I don't like Jake for pushing his friendship with Bella. I think he saw her at her very worst, and he helped her get better; he saw how much she relied on him, and he went with it.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on? I think it's a little of both. She is betraying her heart in that she is trying to keep Edward, even though she believes he left and truly didn't want her. She is smart by trying to move on; she would have been smarter to forget Edward and try to move on completely... but then again, that wouldn't make for a good story now, would it? ;)
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?
Jessica is pissed. And why shouldn't she be? She has NO idea what is going on with Bella. (I still love Bella though... :-)

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?
Because he was so "alive" there. Maybe she was hoping his presence would be tangible in ther meadow, more than it is in her mind.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
Beacause that's just how Jacob is...He REALLY wants to be with her.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?
I can't help but feel betrayal, but at the SAME time--She's human. And it's HUMAN to think about moving on at some point. He left her forever, and as far as she is concerned, he is NEVER coming back. Either way, TEAM EDWARD!!
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?
No, I think Jessica is being petty. I would hope that my friends would try harder to understand that I was going through a tough time and my actions were out of the norm. She seems pretty superficial for this.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?
I think because she has a hard time coming up with things to do in Forks that are reckless and she thinks that being in the place that held so much meaning in her relationship with Edward will trigger something. That place has no other memories attached to it besides ones of her and Edward alone, so it is essentially a purely Edward place.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
Hmm, I just think he is persistent because he really cares about her and thinks that her opinion of him in that way might change when he gets older. I think he figures she still is getting over Edward and thinks that her feelings will change with time. I think he's also just a confident person who sets his mind to things and doesn't see any other alternative ending, plus of course there are things that happen between him and Bella that he reads into.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?
I think its just practical for her mind to go here. She probably realizes that she doesn't want to be alone, and because he likes he so much, maybe she should consider him as more than a friend. Its hard not to try to have feelings for someone when they clearly adore you.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

No. I dont think its justified. She should be understanding to how Bella is feeling about Edward leaving her, and that shes not always going to be the same Bella that she had met.

Because it was the place where they could be alone. He told her how he felt, and she told him out she felt. I think thats why she wanted to go back so bad.

Because maybe he knows that he can be good for Bella. If you like someone and they can have a change to like you too, you wouldnt want to give up on them.

Its not a betrayal of her heart at all. Once the heart has been damaged, its usually hard to find someone who can heal it right away. Edward left her and that hurt. I think she is super smart to press forward and think about moving on. Its something she needs, and Jacob has made her happy so far.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

Yes, because Bella acted so wierd that night. Not to mention she put Jessica in danger with the men in the ally. Jessica has seen how unbalanced Bella is and I don't think that she knows how to deal with it.

The mewdow is where Edward and Bella fell in love (I think). Also its a place that he choose to take her. She may of thought that if anywhere had his presense, it would be the meadow.

For some reason I always thought that his father raised him to be a "go after what you want" type. Aside from that, he knows that Bella needs him as much as he needs her. Bella is the only person who doesn't give him odd looks. Jacob is the only person who understands Bella and isn't freaked out by her wierdness. He knows that their bond will last, and so he doesn't view the relationship as a temporaliy one.

I think it's smart for her to press forward and think about moving on. If she focuses on Edward, it will mentally kill her. She thinks that Edward won't come back, so she has no reason to wait for him.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

Just so everyone knows, this chapter made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

I think Jessica was being a... B word... XD. Of course Bella's reactions were something that you could easily get worked up about... those guys could have been dangerous, and Bella was acting really weird. But I think that Jessica could have fought to let that go... especially after Bella was willing to let go of that awkwardness and invite her in the first place.

Because the meadow was Edward's place... the one and only place Edward could go to be himself, by himself. It was probably the place she could picture him in her mind most clearly... maybe she thought his voice might be imprinted there, too.

He loves her, of course. He may not realize the extent of it just yet, but he does. And Edward's gone, Bella spends most of her time with Jacob and didn't seem at all interested in Mike... why wouldn't he be confident? And he knows he is good for Bella. He notices what happens to her when she hears Edward's name... he thinks that with time, he can make that go away.

I am glad she realized that she could maybe, possibly move on and live without him. It's a good thing.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

I think she wasn't justified, honestly if your a real friend and your friend is hurting what would you do? I certainly hope NOT what Jessica does, she's a b****, and I think she just didn't want Bella to get popular again.

Because it was their place, she hoped the memory would bring back her memory of his voice.

I agree with the teenage boy comment someone else made. LOL Jacob is so funny in this book.

I honestly think she's just trying to figure out how to move on, she knows it's what Edward wanted.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

No, I think that was a dumb thing to do. But then, like Edward said in Midnight Sun, she was only hanging out with Bella to gain popularity.

It's less dangerous, but a place they spent time in. She thought she'd be able to hear him in familar surroundings.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think his reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
I don't know where he gets his confidence from either. But he is in love with Bella.

I think it was betraying her heart, but since I know Edward wanted her to move on, it would have been smart, if he'd been able to keep his promise and stay away.
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

From what happened at the bar with Bella, I'm pretty sure that's what helped her siding with Lauren. It probably freaked Jessica out at how crazy she acted with those older guys.

Edward tells her that "it will be as if I never existed". Bella probably thought that going to a place that he had called his would remind her, once she found it, that he really was real and had to exist.

He knows that Edward, the love of Bella's life, is gone and has a pretty good idea that he won't be returning to Forks. Jacob had laid eyes on Bella probably ever since she started flirting with him in Twilight on the beach. Bella seemed pretty happy with him and she made him feel the same as well so, he wants to try to be really close with her, no matter what.

Aw, I really don't know. :cry: Throughout the book, I always had hopes of Edward returning soon but, I know that Bella was just trying to cover up the hole inside her with Jacob. It's always good to move on to the future but, I always had thoughts of what if she had moved on and Edward came back? Yeah, I'm very debatable on this question. .
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

I think to an extent it is justified but I don't believe it's her place to try to convince other people to do what she wants. I hate that kind of drama. They are their own people and if they want to hang out with Bella and go to the group outing they can do whatever they please. They can form their own opinions about the way she acts, they don't need your help.

Because it was such a special place and the day they went to the meadow was such a turning point in their relationship, she thought that she could have been able to hear/relive the moments of that day. Instead she got a major surprise.

They are such great friends and they are comfortable together. So I think as long as he knows that Edward is gone he is going to try to do everything in his power to get at a romantic level with her.

As much as I hate the idea of Bella being with anybody besides Edward, as far as she's concerned at this point in the book, Edward is not coming back. It's just not completely healthy to at least try to move on and do something for herself. She will definitely always love him and a part of her will be missing and I don't think anyone would be able to satisfy that part of her heart ever, but at the same time, thinking about liking somebody else is a huge step and that's not betraying her heart when it's clear that Edward is the only one she will ever have feelings that strong for.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.