Countries ARE really different

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby Gabbie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:41 am

Ohh Rove's good..sometimes!
It was better when it was on Tuesdays.
I really love the Carrie at the News Desk skit..but I wanna punch Peter Hellier in the face. :roll:

Summer Heights was great,hahahaha. I loved it! <3

Hahaha,NZ and Aus are really similar. Pretty much the same,I'd reckon. Just our accents differ a bit. :D
And NZ is WAY prettier.
Image
Thanks Lizzy! <3 (AGF)
User avatar
Gabbie
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Blue Mountains,Australia.

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby Leah_says » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:29 pm

You know what I just realized? That when British people sing, they don't have their "accent" anymore. Ehh, just a random observation.

I live in New Jersey and I've never met anyone here with a Jersey accent.
Image
User avatar
Leah_says
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby Anarey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:01 am

I live in Puerto Rico and people have so many misconceptions about us, specially in the US.
1. We live in houses with electricity and computers this and all those things that people have in the US.
2. We have cable TV, the same channels that in US
3. We can't get into US illegally, we are American Citizens.
4. We speak English, at least we can, even if we speak Spanish most of the time. Actually, English is our second official language.
5. We aren't some third world country, we're a US territory.
6. We aren't Indians and we wear the same clothes as everybody else.
7. We can read, even when some people don't like to read.
8. We are not a Tourists Island, we do have a lot of beautiful touristic places like beaches and forests but we also have cities.
9. We do know what Dr. Pepper and Root Beer and all that stuff are.
10. Our currency is US dollars, even when we call them "pesos" like the Mexican currency.

And many more. Also we are located in the Caribbean (I can't believe some people don't know where PR is).
ImageCan't wait til Nov 20!!

"A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss; but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain."
-Abraham Crowley
User avatar
Anarey
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: In my sweet and happy personal world

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby Christine! » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:34 pm

Hahahah I am reading all this stuff everyone is saying and it's just really funny.

I'm not sure what steryotypes about Americans are, but I'd looooove to hear them.

I live in Oregon. I wasn't sure what the steryotypes about Oregonians were, so I googled it and this is what I found,
It's one of the "You Know You live In Oregon When"
I bolded the true ones.


You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans in the trash.

You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.

You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.

You consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain.

You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima, and Willamette.

You are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain," and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."

You know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind.

You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.

You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or people from California.

You buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time.

You measure distance in hours.

You own more than 10 articles of clothing that have microbreweries and/or brewpubs printed on them. Bonus for embroidered stuff.

You live equidistant to a symphony hall, a winery, and a volcano.

You complain about Californians as you sell your house to one for twice as much as you originally paid.

You know a bride and groom that registered at REI.

If someone ran your car off the highway, you might drown.

Know at least eight people who work for Intel or Nike, or used to work for Tektronix.

You obey all traffic laws except "keep right unless passing."

You think downtown is "scary" because you were panhandled there....once.

You've definitley used the five main freeways/highways: I-5, 217, 205, 26, and 84.

You know that Kindergarten Cop and The Goonies were filmed in Astoria and Cannon Beach, respectively.

You take pride in Lewis and Clark and know who Sacagawea is.

You were excited when the Crater lake, Oregon quarter came out.

You love The Shins... because they live here.

You love the Decemberists.... because they are from here...and live here.

You dress in layers (tank top, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, etc).

You remember Ramblin' Rod --and you laugh because you used to watch it or because you were on it for your birthday.

You are sad during Christmas because it never snows in the valley.

You know where the valley is.

You go out of state and wait in your car for someone to pump your gas

You are more concerned about packing a sweatshirt or a jacket when going to the beach than packing a bathing suit.

You are aware that "The Shining" was filmed at Timberline Lodge.

The red nose on the 'made in oregon sign' starts your holiday season

You've seen the elvis impersonator at saturday market

You've been in or heard about a pillowfight in the middle of downtown.

You smile at people you don't know as you walk by them on the sidewalk.

You make subtle remarks about washington drivers, but save your real road rage for california drivers.

You know The Shane Companies radio commercial word for word -- "...Across the freeway from the washington square mall...open monday through friday til 8, saturday and sunday til 5...also available on shaneco.com."

You've witnessed 300 nude bicyclists just cruising around downtown like its no big deal.

You were thrilled that Scott Thomason finally stop putting his face on the back of his cars.

You should know it is illegal to buy or sell marijuana, but it is legal to smoke it on your own property.

You find a wallet with $500 and give it back to the owner.
Image
previously ChristineAnn, incase you didn't figure that out:)
User avatar
Christine!
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby fireice99 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:53 pm

I live near Chicago, and I always have thought it's a pretty boring place to live. I don't live in the city, so what's the point of living in Illinois at all?? It just seems like the most boring state ever. Maybe that's just cuz i live in it. :)

One thing people don't understand enough about Chicago is the rivalry between baseball teams. Seriously, it's brutal. If the Cubs and Sox were to both make it tothe World Series, people would die. I'm not even kidding. It really wouldn't be pretty. The rivalry is so strong-- some of my cousins practically want to rip each others throats out when we get on the topic of baseball!

Oh yeah, and we have palm trees up here. no joke. there are palm trees and beaches in the city, and lake michigan looks a lot like the ocean. there are even little mini waves! It's pretty weird, it's almost like i'm in florida whenver I go to the beach.

And people wear jeans all year round here. Even in the middle of JUly when its 90 out. It's just too much of a habit.

That's about it, or all i can think of for now. Maybe I'll think of more later...
Image

Kaleb Nation is awesome! Check out his site for insightful comments as he reads New Moon.
User avatar
fireice99
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby AlainaTwilight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:18 pm

Christine! wrote:Hahahah I am reading all this stuff everyone is saying and it's just really funny.

I'm not sure what steryotypes about Americans are, but I'd looooove to hear them.

I live in Oregon. I wasn't sure what the steryotypes about Oregonians were, so I googled it and this is what I found,
It's one of the "You Know You live In Oregon When"
I bolded the true ones.


You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans in the trash.

You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.

You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.

You consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain.

You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima, and Willamette.

You are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain," and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."

You know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind.

You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.

You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or people from California.

You buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time.

You measure distance in hours.

You own more than 10 articles of clothing that have microbreweries and/or brewpubs printed on them. Bonus for embroidered stuff.

You live equidistant to a symphony hall, a winery, and a volcano.

You complain about Californians as you sell your house to one for twice as much as you originally paid.

You know a bride and groom that registered at REI.

If someone ran your car off the highway, you might drown.

Know at least eight people who work for Intel or Nike, or used to work for Tektronix.

You obey all traffic laws except "keep right unless passing."

You think downtown is "scary" because you were panhandled there....once.

You've definitley used the five main freeways/highways: I-5, 217, 205, 26, and 84.

You know that Kindergarten Cop and The Goonies were filmed in Astoria and Cannon Beach, respectively.

You take pride in Lewis and Clark and know who Sacagawea is.

You were excited when the Crater lake, Oregon quarter came out.

You love The Shins... because they live here.

You love the Decemberists.... because they are from here...and live here.

You dress in layers (tank top, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, etc).

You remember Ramblin' Rod --and you laugh because you used to watch it or because you were on it for your birthday.

You are sad during Christmas because it never snows in the valley.

You know where the valley is.

You go out of state and wait in your car for someone to pump your gas

You are more concerned about packing a sweatshirt or a jacket when going to the beach than packing a bathing suit.

You are aware that "The Shining" was filmed at Timberline Lodge.

The red nose on the 'made in oregon sign' starts your holiday season

You've seen the elvis impersonator at saturday market

You've been in or heard about a pillowfight in the middle of downtown.

You smile at people you don't know as you walk by them on the sidewalk.

You make subtle remarks about washington drivers, but save your real road rage for california drivers.

You know The Shane Companies radio commercial word for word -- "...Across the freeway from the washington square mall...open monday through friday til 8, saturday and sunday til 5...also available on shaneco.com."

You've witnessed 300 nude bicyclists just cruising around downtown like its no big deal.

You were thrilled that Scott Thomason finally stop putting his face on the back of his cars.

You should know it is illegal to buy or sell marijuana, but it is legal to smoke it on your own property.

You find a wallet with $500 and give it back to the owner.


OMG...I So totally agree... :) I live in Tualatin, OR. It's just south of Portland. :) I also have a hard time coming up with sterotypes for Oregon, so I'm just gonna add to you list of "You Know You are from Oregon When"'s.

Here are my additions:
You Know You are from Oregon When...
1. You measure distance in hours
2. You consider swimming an indoor sport
3. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat
4. You have only used 5 main freeways/highways: I-5, 217, 205, 26, and 84.
5. Someone tells you that they're going to Freddy's and you know that it's a grocery store and not someone's house
6. You watch a video in your high school health class that's about methamphetamines, and it's based in Portland
7. You hear someone say Rose Parade and you think festival in June, not football game in January. (even though it's technically the Grand Floral.)
8. You know that the civil war is yearly and is not just a war that happened in the 1800's
9. You've been to, or heard of, Outdoor School
AlainaTwilight
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Tualatin, OR

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby Christine! » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:23 pm

AlainaTwilight wrote:
Christine! wrote:Hahahah I am reading all this stuff everyone is saying and it's just really funny.

I'm not sure what steryotypes about Americans are, but I'd looooove to hear them.

I live in Oregon. I wasn't sure what the steryotypes about Oregonians were, so I googled it and this is what I found,
It's one of the "You Know You live In Oregon When"
I bolded the true ones.


You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans in the trash.

You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.

You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.

You consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain.

You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima, and Willamette.

You are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain," and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."

You know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind.

You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.

You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or people from California.

You buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time.

You measure distance in hours.

You own more than 10 articles of clothing that have microbreweries and/or brewpubs printed on them. Bonus for embroidered stuff.

You live equidistant to a symphony hall, a winery, and a volcano.

You complain about Californians as you sell your house to one for twice as much as you originally paid.

You know a bride and groom that registered at REI.

If someone ran your car off the highway, you might drown.

Know at least eight people who work for Intel or Nike, or used to work for Tektronix.

You obey all traffic laws except "keep right unless passing."

You think downtown is "scary" because you were panhandled there....once.

You've definitley used the five main freeways/highways: I-5, 217, 205, 26, and 84.

You know that Kindergarten Cop and The Goonies were filmed in Astoria and Cannon Beach, respectively.

You take pride in Lewis and Clark and know who Sacagawea is.

You were excited when the Crater lake, Oregon quarter came out.

You love The Shins... because they live here.

You love the Decemberists.... because they are from here...and live here.

You dress in layers (tank top, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, etc).

You remember Ramblin' Rod --and you laugh because you used to watch it or because you were on it for your birthday.

You are sad during Christmas because it never snows in the valley.

You know where the valley is.

You go out of state and wait in your car for someone to pump your gas

You are more concerned about packing a sweatshirt or a jacket when going to the beach than packing a bathing suit.

You are aware that "The Shining" was filmed at Timberline Lodge.

The red nose on the 'made in oregon sign' starts your holiday season

You've seen the elvis impersonator at saturday market

You've been in or heard about a pillowfight in the middle of downtown.

You smile at people you don't know as you walk by them on the sidewalk.

You make subtle remarks about washington drivers, but save your real road rage for california drivers.

You know The Shane Companies radio commercial word for word -- "...Across the freeway from the washington square mall...open monday through friday til 8, saturday and sunday til 5...also available on shaneco.com."

You've witnessed 300 nude bicyclists just cruising around downtown like its no big deal.

You were thrilled that Scott Thomason finally stop putting his face on the back of his cars.

You should know it is illegal to buy or sell marijuana, but it is legal to smoke it on your own property.

You find a wallet with $500 and give it back to the owner.


OMG...I So totally agree... :) I live in Tualatin, OR. It's just south of Portland. :) I also have a hard time coming up with sterotypes for Oregon, so I'm just gonna add to you list of "You Know You are from Oregon When"'s.

Here are my additions:
You Know You are from Oregon When...
1. You measure distance in hours
2. You consider swimming an indoor sport
3. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat
4. You have only used 5 main freeways/highways: I-5, 217, 205, 26, and 84.
5. Someone tells you that they're going to Freddy's and you know that it's a grocery store and not someone's house
6. You watch a video in your high school health class that's about methamphetamines, and it's based in Portland
7. You hear someone say Rose Parade and you think festival in June, not football game in January. (even though it's technically the Grand Floral.)
8. You know that the civil war is yearly and is not just a war that happened in the 1800's
9. You've been to, or heard of, Outdoor School




Hahahaha love it! I'm from Salem.
I especially like the civil war one!
I didn't know we have Freddy's in Oregon?! I used to go there when I lived in Arizona.
Oh and I do measure distance in hours, I didn't read that one right. Hahah.
Image
previously ChristineAnn, incase you didn't figure that out:)
User avatar
Christine!
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby AlainaTwilight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:33 pm

Christine! wrote:Hahahaha love it! I'm from Salem.
I especially like the civil war one!
I didn't know we have Freddy's in Oregon?! I used to go there when I lived in Arizona.
Oh and I do measure distance in hours, I didn't read that one right. Hahah.


The civil war...and measuring distance in hours are my 2 favorite. :) Yeah...we have Freddy's all over. I'll bet there is one in salem...or close by. :)
AlainaTwilight
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Tualatin, OR

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby Christine! » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:36 pm

Hahah yeah it's like, How far away is Portland....uh 45 minutes!

I mean, I'm kinda oblivious too alot of stuff but I'm pretty sure we don't have Freddy's.
Just like, Roth's and Winco and Safeway.
We have nothing in Salem....it's sooo boring. And everything closes early. Like Starbucks closes at like 7. Ha.
Image
previously ChristineAnn, incase you didn't figure that out:)
User avatar
Christine!
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Postby AlainaTwilight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:38 pm

Christine! wrote:Hahah yeah it's like, How far away is Portland....uh 45 minutes!

I mean, I'm kinda oblivious too alot of stuff but I'm pretty sure we don't have Freddy's.
Just like, Roth's and Winco and Safeway.
We have nothing in Salem....it's sooo boring. And everything closes early. Like Starbucks closes at like 7. Ha.

a starbucks closing at 7?!?!!? That's a first. the ones, yes there are several in Tualatin, close at 9. i'm only 20mins from Protland...It's a cool city...but i don't go there to often.
AlainaTwilight
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Tualatin, OR

PreviousNext

Return to Flight to Phoenix

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron