Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Post by Nena »

WARNING!
This is the PG+ rated Adult thread (its probably closer to PG-13, but even we have our limits). For G-rated conversations see the Heavenly Hash Adult Thread.

Thread guidlines carried over from previous threads...

Welcome to the Gutter, please follow these rules to prevent us all from drowning in this thread or any other.

It is important to remember that the main forums are not a chat room or an IM feature. Posts need to be of some length and relate to the topic. One line posts, especially just saying LOL or something similar take up a lot of room and are hard for people to wade through when they have many pages to catch up on.

Related to that, it's not necessary to post just to say good morning, goodnight or to "keep the thread alive." You can certainly say good morning at the top of your first post of the day, but don't make it the ONLY thing you say. As for keeping the thread alive, it's not going anywhere. It will still be here long after all of us have moved on to newer things.

Quoting. The quote feature is neat. And helpful but when quoting, delete out the parts of the quote that aren't necessary to your response. Quoting, especially when pictures are included take up TONS of room on the lex and make it hard for all of us. It's quick and easy to cut out the parts that are unnecessary. Quoting is also one of the easiest places to fall into IM behavior. It is so frustrating to have to scroll through tons of quotes just to get an "I agree." questions that don't benefit the whole group, or are directed at one person need to go into the PM feature. If we constantly repost thins like links or topics from the past, we burn
through unnecessary pages.

Straying off topic. This one is probably the hardest, since we are an off topic thread. So I can't ask for much here, perhaps just a little mindfulness when it comes to posting. Consider if it is something for the whole group, or something that belongs in a PM.

Those of us who started out on this thread LOVE it. It has been our home here. We love new people, and
new ideas. We do want everyone to play nice and have fun. We would hate for something to happen to this thread.

This thread (well version 2 of this thread) started as a "safe" place that adults could come and discuss the books, theories, and a few other topics. Many of us felt we had little in common with the teens that posted on the majority of the threads. Also many of us were very put off by all the hate post eclipse or by getting flamed for our more adult opinion based on our broader experience. Usually someone would post a question and we would all weigh in. It was great!
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Post by Wingtear »

So, new thread. I guess it will be as filled with BDB talk as the last one.
Well well, I'll survive.
What do the rest of you think of the new thread name? (I'm not stealing Nima's QOTD!!!! just wondering)
Since I haven't read the books it's taken from, I'm about as dumbfounded as about the rainbow popsicles...
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Variety »

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving (for those celebrating). As much as I love holidays, I'm usually glad when they're over and I can send my kids back to school.

Question for any (and all) moms here: I have an 11 yr old son that has been getting into trouble. For several reasons, we grounded him until he will clean his room. Now, he's been sneaking out. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. I have to spend so much time going out and bringing him back home. He's now throwing a fit saying he can "never get it done" and that he'll "die before his room gets clean" and he sits and does nothing. He's getting more and more grumpy and aggressive, and I don't know how to encourage him without him thinking I'm getting mad at him or without standing over him and telling him every little thing to do. He won't take responsibility for his actions, but just keeps being disrespectful. It's getting worse, and I don't know how to break the cycle, or come up with a consequence that actually helps. Any suggestions?

By the way, I enjoyed the movie - it was just what I expected - and I can't wait to go see it again (darn busy schedule).
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

i love the baking & peach references!

i flew into a fit of giggles at Walmart last night when I came across the jars of peaches. it was kind of embarrassing having to try to explain to my friend why i was losing it, but she just laughed at me. we were looking for beverages for a friend's baby shower when she held up a jug of peach juice and asked if maybe we should buy that!

i seriously haven't ingested a peach since starting BDB. i giggle so much that i'd probably choke on it.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Hey guys.. Couple Questions..

Can I ask what BDB is?

Also, when can we begin discussing the movie.. I'm itching to!

Hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving and survived any Black Friday shopping. It was INSANE out there. We had to leave verrry quickly after we got to Best Buy. I can't believe what people do for deals. I think I'll just have to hold out for a deal that doesn't require fighting through crowds!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

AshleyGill03, BDB is Black Dagger Brotherhood. It's a series of books about a secret brotherhood of vampire warriors written by J. R. Ward and they are definitely a lot, uhm, guttery, than Twilight. There are quite a few Gutter Gals and Guys who are currently reading the series. It gets brought up a lot.
Heart Song
Wandering Through Town

Post by Heart Song »

Variety wrote:Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving (for those celebrating). As much as I love holidays, I'm usually glad when they're over and I can send my kids back to school.

Question for any (and all) moms here: I have an 11 yr old son that has been getting into trouble. For several reasons, we grounded him until he will clean his room. Now, he's been sneaking out. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. I have to spend so much time going out and bringing him back home. He's now throwing a fit saying he can "never get it done" and that he'll "die before his room gets clean" and he sits and does nothing. He's getting more and more grumpy and aggressive, and I don't know how to encourage him without him thinking I'm getting mad at him or without standing over him and telling him every little thing to do. He won't take responsibility for his actions, but just keeps being disrespectful. It's getting worse, and I don't know how to break the cycle, or come up with a consequence that actually helps. Any suggestions?
Help your son to find one corner or shelf to focus on at a time. Looking at the whole room can be overwhelming. (I've had to do this with my 11 yr old twins.) Once the room is clean, and it may take more than one day, send him in before bedtime to pick-up what has been pulled out during the day. This has become part of our bedtime ritual and the girl's room actually remains presentable most of the time.
banner by the lovely ~ouisa~ adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis

Twilight Stories and Host Stories
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Thank you Oleander, I think I'll run to the B&N tomorrow and pick them up. I've been looking for something new to get started on... and maybe then I will be able to keep up!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Hmmm, I love the new name, but it has NOTHNG to do with Twilight. I thought there already was a BDB thread... :)
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

New thread! Woohoo! Thanks Nena for setting it up!
From last thread: the most unusual (although it's definitely a traditional) Christmas dish is garlic pork with gin for Christmas breakfast! It's part of my culture - preparing the garlic pork takes at least 3 days of work, and you drink the gin to cut down on all the burping that the garlic pork creates! Yes, we then go to church smelling of garlic and booze.
Variety, I don't have any easy answers for your 11 year old. Recently in the news here was a case of a grade 9 boy who ran away from home because his parents took away his X-box from him because he was playing it too much. He was found dead a week later - he fell from a tree and his injuries killed him. It's quite sad, and his parents are beside themselves because they didn't realize how key to his identity his gaming was. Here are my suggestions (not necessarily guaranteed to work)
- does he have email? Can you email him a note to start the conversation about his room? Maybe it won't seem as "naggy" if it's written
-What about putting the onus of solving the problem on him? (I've done something similar with very apathetic students.) You can phrase it like "I'd really like your help coming up with a solution. I need your room to be cleaned but I don't want to nag you and I don't want you to be disrespectful. What can I do to help? What can you do? What compromise can we come up with?"
- How messy is messy? What constitutes messy? Does the bed have to be made or just that there's a path leading from the door to the bed? Right now, I'd be more worried with the sneaking out / defiance than the messy room (although resistance to the latter has caused the former) but if standards can be established for what counts as "clean" to both of you, maybe that would help.

Good luck, and welcome to the old and new Gutter readers.
Baking and peaches are adult innuendos (innuendoes? how's it spelled?) common in this thread.
Although there is a separate BDB (Black Daggar Brotherhood) thread, it's safer for those who have not read all the books in that series to make casual reference to BDB in here. I just finished V'Aiden (I think I said this already) and will start the next Dark Hunter book tonight. Hooray for the ability to speed read!
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!