General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Halls_14
Settled in Forks

Re: Rosalie's Story

Post by Halls_14 »

First of Hello I am Hallie and this is my first post.

Anyway...
I think it is sad that she would give Emmett the love of her life up for a child of her own. Showns how desperatly she wants a baby.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

babywerewolf wrote:From the beginning of the series, Rosalie has been my very favorite character. I don't agree with her blatantly bad behavior, or the disrespect with which she treats the love between Bella and Edward; however, I think her reaction to Bella's introduction into the family is the most practical. I loved Rosalie because she's not afraid to speak her mind. She's the only Cullen that addresses how truly selfish Edward can be - he's putting all his parents and siblings in danger so that he can have what he wants. I'm not saying that's wrong, but I love how Rosalie calls him out on it. And in BD, I don't think Rose gets enough credit for helping Bella through the pregnancy. Although she does it because she values the baby - not Bella - without her, nothing would have ended okay at the conclusion of the saga. And I couldn't stand Edward's snide comments about how Rosalie would risk Bella's life entirely to save the baby - adter all, isn't that what Edward's willing to do: risk the lives of all the Cullens for Bella? I love Edward, but I love Rose even more because she brings his hypocrisy to light. I love how strong her character is, and her story made me like her even more.
Yes, but they weren't doing any favors, babywerewolf. They are Edward's family. That's what family do. They stick together. I could bet this is the first time he asks something for himself. In 90 years, I think Edward never wanted something for himself before. The first time he asks, she immediately denies. She keeps calling him idiot on her head.

I wonder why she cares if she gets killed? Because she doesn't want to be a vampire, so does it matter if she's going to live or not? I'm sorry, but she's hypocript too.

About her helping out in Bella's pregnancy, I was happy because she stood by Bella's side. But she never cared about her. Oh, my God. Rosalie helped her bath, saw how she was suffering and how she was dying in front of her eyes and she didn't care? All she saw was the belly and the baby? Bella was not a person anymore? That Bella wants to saver her baby to any costs and Edward was willing to sacrifice his child to save Bella, I understand. But Rosalie sacrificing Bella for a kid that's not hers, no. I'm very sorry. But I can't understand that. That's not compassion, or love, or desperation. This is pure selfishness. Not more, not less.
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

Well, from the beginning I knew why Rosalie acted the way she did without even hearing her story.
She was jealous of Bella being human. That was obvious.

I don't think her story justifies the way she acted towards Bella.
Although I understood why she was the way she was.

And I honestly didn't see the whole helping Bella with the pregnancy thing as her being truly compassionate.
I still felt like she did all of that for the baby and not so much as helping Bella to. :lol:

I saw it as her just trying to save the baby for her own selfish reasons.
Bella was a Cullen, she was apart of the family.
Everytime Rosalie showed or tried to show compassion it seemed like she was doing it to gain something herself.

1. Her trying to tell Bella why she should stay human.
It upset her how much Bella was willing to throw away her human life for love, that's not something that Rosalie would have done and seeing Bella do that only pissed her off. She couldn't handle it.

2. The baby, she wanted that baby badly. And nothing else.
Rosalie sacrificing Bella for a kid that's not hers, no. I'm very sorry. But I can't understand that. That's not compassion, or love, or desperation. This is pure selfishness. Not more, not less.
Yeah.
Lioness Rampant
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Lioness Rampant »

Hearts in red ink. wrote:Well, from the beginning I knew why Rosalie acted the way she did without even hearing her story.
She was jealous of Bella being human. That was obvious.

I don't think her story justifies the way she acted towards Bella.
Although I understood why she was the way she was.

And I honestly didn't see the whole helping Bella with the pregnancy thing as her being truly compassionate.
I still felt like she did all of that for the baby and not so much as helping Bella to. :lol:

I saw it as her just trying to save the baby for her own selfish reasons.
Bella was a Cullen, she was apart of the family.
Everytime Rosalie showed or tried to show compassion it seemed like she was doing it to gain something herself.

1. Her trying to tell Bella why she should stay human.
It upset her how much Bella was willing to throw away her human life for love, that's not something that Rosalie would have done and seeing Bella do that only pissed her off. She couldn't handle it.

2. The baby, she wanted that baby badly. And nothing else.
Rosalie sacrificing Bella for a kid that's not hers, no. I'm very sorry. But I can't understand that. That's not compassion, or love, or desperation. This is pure selfishness. Not more, not less.
Yeah.
well said!
I 100% agree with you
ColormeBSG
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

honestly, i never had any resentment towards Rosalie.
i mean, sure, she didn't like Bella, but i thought it must've been another reason other than jealousy.
in Eclipse, you really saw why she didn't like Bella, it never had anything to do with her just not liking her, Rosalie just didn't like Bella, cause Bella could've had what Rosalie wanted and she was throwing it away.
in Breaking Dawn, i liked how she was protective of Bella and Renesmee, but what really ticked me off was that Bella kinda used Rosalie into getting what she wanted (do you guys see what i mean?).

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i do see what you mean. bella can be very very manipulative, and a lot of people don't realize it.

i disliked rosalie's attitude towards bella in twilight, but then again i really liked bella in twilight. i didn't mind it in new moon and i almost welcomed it in eclipse, her advice to bella is what i would have said.

that said, in breaking dawn, there's no excuse for disregarding someone's life. she didn't do BELLA any wrong by this, but it's a great showcase for her incredible selfishness.

i think Rosalie was justified in her attitude towards Bella in the first three books based on her story. her attitude, not her actions. and only towards bella. her attitude towards the rest of the family is inexcusable, ESPECIALLY in BD.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Dreauror
Settled in Forks

Post by Dreauror »

I think its like this, Vampire aside look at it from Rosalies view point. She never had children and yet when Bella asked her to save her from having "the thing" as Edward put it aborted, she embraced Bella and guarded her. The first thing she did when Bella was lying on the floor vomiting blood and Edward put her on the table in library, I believe Jacob said it looked like an operating theatre.
Rosalie ripped open Bella's stomach and went for the baby, the scent of blood was too much for her her animal vampire instincts over whelmed her. Jacob said "throw it out the window!" which I thought was hilarious. Rosalie came to her senses and took the baby and she nurtured it. All those motherly instincts that she had lost or never requited came back to her immediately and she had something she had always wished for a child.

Taking the vampire out of the equasion and just seeing her as someone selfish and out to get what she wanted no matter what the costs is not really a fair comparison. My Mum gave birth to twins, two healthy happy twins. A woman who had lost her child, said my Mum had no rights to have two when she had none. It cut my Mum up but nothing ever happened between them no word was ever spoken about this to any one. The mother grieved and my Mum got well, so did the twins and they came home. This was back in the 1960's.
The thing is some women will go to obsessive and very sad lengths for a child they desire, they are not vampires, they are not selfish they just yearn for something they desire. Its supposed to be natural to all girls and women to want to raise babies. I don't. I will never know what it is to have or not have a child or long for one, I never wanted one at all. So you can see where this obsessive desire lead Rosalie on her path to rearing this baby, having something she had always wanted and never having the chance to have the child because of her abusive partner.
She was frozen in the mindset of a woman that always had what she wanted, she was beautiful, much desired if she asked she got, then she married an abusive husband and her rose coloured glasses shattered and she ended up in another world. A neophyte, a vampire with no way of finding her woman or girl hood with no drives or instincts or any hormones that create a sort of nurturing instinct between Mum and baby. All that was left was her lust for blood and revenge. I believe she avenged her own death, killing those five men and then settled down as best she could.
How must it have been for her, living in a world where everyone else has children and then Bella comes along with all the desires and needs of a human and she wants to give it up to be like Rosalie, to be undead. I hardly think Rosalie was selfish I think she was just trying to fulfill something she could never have.
Carlilseitis! Its a highly infectious disease and reading Twilight is the cause.
However, you might just Carlisleza a virus someday you'll get over him.

urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

Dreauror wrote:I think its like this, Vampire aside look at it from Rosalies view point. She never had children and yet when Bella asked her to save her from having "the thing" as Edward put it aborted, she embraced Bella and guarded her. The first thing she did when Bella was lying on the floor vomiting blood and Edward put her on the table in library, I believe Jacob said it looked like an operating theatre.
Rosalie ripped open Bella's stomach and went for the baby, the scent of blood was too much for her her animal vampire instincts over whelmed her. Jacob said "throw it out the window!" which I thought was hilarious. Rosalie came to her senses and took the baby and she nurtured it. All those motherly instincts that she had lost or never requited came back to her immediately and she had something she had always wished for a child.

Taking the vampire out of the equasion and just seeing her as someone selfish and out to get what she wanted no matter what the costs is not really a fair comparison. My Mum gave birth to twins, two healthy happy twins. A woman who had lost her child, said my Mum had no rights to have two when she had none. It cut my Mum up but nothing ever happened between them no word was ever spoken about this to any one. The mother grieved and my Mum got well, so did the twins and they came home. This was back in the 1960's.
The thing is some women will go to obsessive and very sad lengths for a child they desire, they are not vampires, they are not selfish they just yearn for something they desire. Its supposed to be natural to all girls and women to want to raise babies. I don't. I will never know what it is to have or not have a child or long for one, I never wanted one at all. So you can see where this obsessive desire lead Rosalie on her path to rearing this baby, having something she had always wanted and never having the chance to have the child because of her abusive partner.
She was frozen in the mindset of a woman that always had what she wanted, she was beautiful, much desired if she asked she got, then she married an abusive husband and her rose coloured glasses shattered and she ended up in another world. A neophyte, a vampire with no way of finding her woman or girl hood with no drives or instincts or any hormones that create a sort of nurturing instinct between Mum and baby. All that was left was her lust for blood and revenge. I believe she avenged her own death, killing those five men and then settled down as best she could.
How must it have been for her, living in a world where everyone else has children and then Bella comes along with all the desires and needs of a human and she wants to give it up to be like Rosalie, to be undead. I hardly think Rosalie was selfish I think she was just trying to fulfill something she could never have.
AMEN TO THAT!!
Oh thank you for saying that. :)
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
PrincessSparkle84
Settled in Forks

Post by PrincessSparkle84 »

I am going to sound like a monster here, but I had a hard time really feeling bad for Rosalie when she was telling Bella about why/how she was changed. Now before you freak out on me, I feel bad for what happened to her and I agree 150% that what happend to Rose was disgusting, vile, and horrible. Rape is a horrifying thing, and I can imagine it would be even worse when done by someone you trust. BUT I found that whole story to be hard for me to believe. I just didn't get why her fiance would so randomly do that to her, especially to the point of death. My mind doesn't work in gruesome ways, so I guess I just have a hard time finding this story believable. Am I the only one??
Lioness Rampant
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Lioness Rampant »

PrincessSparkle84 wrote:I am going to sound like a monster here, but I had a hard time really feeling bad for Rosalie when she was telling Bella about why/how she was changed. Now before you freak out on me, I feel bad for what happened to her and I agree 150% that what happend to Rose was disgusting, vile, and horrible. Rape is a horrifying thing, and I can imagine it would be even worse when done by someone you trust. BUT I found that whole story to be hard for me to believe. I just didn't get why her fiance would so randomly do that to her, especially to the point of death. My mind doesn't work in gruesome ways, so I guess I just have a hard time finding this story believable. Am I the only one??
I'm sorry, but, unfortunately, I think its believeable. Things like his happen all the time in our world.
It wasn't random, either. it was a drunken, vile and sick indivual who didn't see any consequences. I find it incredibly disturbing what happened to Rosalie, and her story is not one to take lightly. Of all the vampires in the series, Rosalie is probably the most believable. Now, I am not someone who loves Rosalie, as most people know. I am quite opposed to her behavior in Breaking Dawn.
But, she is the most human, ironically. She has expirienced a trauma very similar to things that happen in our time period- say New York, Chicago, or southeast Washington D.C.... San Fransico, New Orleans- need I continue?

Her qualities are parallel those found in human nature, but amplified to a degree that is hard to ignore. (I don't mean physically)
This is why I find her character so fascinating...
ColormeBSG