A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
jovialmadness
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 24 ~ Vote

Post by jovialmadness »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?

I have to admit, I did think there was some kind of subconscious connection between them, but I guess her realization is as good an explanation as any.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?

After reading Rosalie's story in Eclipse, I completely understand why she voted that way.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?

This was actually my favorite part of the book. I felt like that's really one of her more defining moments because (I have to admit) I was expecting marriage to factor into the equation but I feared it would be really...well...just not how it went and I think Bella redeemed herself by staying level-headed and mature about it. I can't really explain it; I just really, really loved how she handled it and it almost made me forget my annoyance of having to wait around forever for Edward to return.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?

Well, I'm in the perfect position to answer this because I'm not half way through Eclipse much less cracked Breaking Dawn. Should she marry him? I know she will because that's how the story's going but I don't know really. I'm rather ambivalent because I know they'll be together anyway, with or without the ceremony. I do like the idea of her staying mortal for a while, though.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?

Oooh this makes it sound like Edward won't be the one to change her. If he does or doesn't, it doesn't matter, though I'm sure Bella would much prefer it.
LOLhippieeally
Settled in Forks

Post by LOLhippieeally »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
I thought that Stephenie could have added more details writing the epiphany. It was like all of a sudden Bella was like "BAM! He loves me. Yaaaay" and then that's it.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?
I has happy with it. I could see Edward breaking the plasma so perfectly in my head and I heard the noise perfectly. He has a temper and he feels strongly about having Bella stay human. Rosalie will be Rosalie. I just really dislike her. She is only thinking about the fact that nobody gave her the choice. She can't see that if Bella didn't turn into a vampire then the whole family would be at risk.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
I cried, more like bawled. She is crazy for saying no to him! She is so determined to be a vampire but she won't marry him ? That makes no sense to me at all. It made it seem like she was unsure of her love for Edward and that she only wanted to be immortal.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
She should have said yes the first time he asked! Then on the honeymoon be changed into a vampire.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
I would kind of be happy if someone else changed her for the simple fact that I get jealous when Bella even puts her hands on Edward. But the better choice would obviously be Edward. I was hoping for Carlisle.
I’m here, and I love you. I have always loved you, and I will always love you.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her? When she had her epiphany, I said, "Now you wake up!" Bella knew the stark difference between herself and Edward; Edward has told her that she doesn't see herself clearly, but Bella thinks she is so ordinary. I think that she always thought it was too good to be true, that Edward would get tired of her human frailty and get bored with her, and that's why she believed him when he left. She sees him as utter perfection, and she can't comprehend WHY and HOW he could love her with all her imperfections.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice? I see Bella's side. The Volturi are dangerous; they want more than just Bella either turned or dead; Aro covets Edward and Alice's powers-- I did catch that the first time around. I don't understand Edward; he sees his family happily "together" as couples; how can he not want that with Bella? Turn her, you foooooool!!! If he leaves Bella human, they will be playing cat-and-mouse with the Volturi forever, and that's NOT the way to live. I got the biggest lump in my throat when Rose gave her reason; I almost felt sorry for her for the problem she caused by calling Edward telling him that Bella was dead. I loved Emmett's response!! Carlisle's opinion should matter- he's the head of their coven. He knows how much Edward loves Bella; he knows that Edward would follow Bella after she dies if she stays human, and I think it would pain him beyond belief to lose his "eldest" child.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him? I WAS! Then I cried- he was willing to give her what she wanted most in the entire world in exchange for what he wanted most in the entire world. I didn't understand her... every girl I've known dreams about a wedding. Maybe if she were older, she wouldn't have been so against it, but she's only 18. And honestly, she is SO different from Renee, I don't see why she put so much stock into her mom's thoughts.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer? Hell, yes, marry Edward!! I didn't think she should be Changed so quickly, at this point in reading. I knew there were 2 more books, and given the time frame B&E discussed, I remember thinking, "okay, there's a one-year ultimatum given, what could happen in that time?" lol!

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her? OME, I SO wanted Edward to be the one to change her, in some big romantic gesture. This would bind them together more than the love they felt for each other could, and even more than getting married could- they would be connected physically, and I just thought that was incredibly sexy. :oops:
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

Alphie wrote: 5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
It would be so weird! Im not sure why, but Edward should be the person who changes her.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I was confused. I dont know what would make her think that he didnt love her at all.

I thought that the vote went pretty good. I can understand Edward and Rosalies reasons for not wanting her to become a vampire..there was still so much she should be able to do. But I did agree with Carlisle. The Volturi would check up on her, and if she was still human they would probably distroy her because she knows too much.

I was shocked. I didnt think that he would ask her that. I think Bella has some good reasons to say no. She doesnt want to be like her mom. [though that probably would never happen]. And she was still and school and everything.

I thought that she should marry him. I mean he loves her. But i didnt think she needed to be turned into a vamire right away. She still has school to finish. && needs to be with Charlie a little bit longer.

I think it should be Edward. His venom that would change her. I would be okay if someone else had to though.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

The fact that he loved her seemed obvious to me before it occurred to her. I could totally empathize with her being very guarded and thinking that she was dreaming or kind of bracing for the impact. So at this point, I realized it before she did. But I think I very much believed Edward when he said that he didn't want her as easily as she did. I never thought about the fact that might hurt Edward until he explained his feelings about it. I think Edward has a hard time with the fact that she truly seemed to believe that he didn't want her anymore, but since we get to see her thoughts, I can see why she might have believed him. We've also seen her thoughts through all of Twilight and she often thought that things were too good to be true and she seemed to be constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak and for Edward to come to his senses and not like her anymore.

I do understand Edward's reasoning because he seems to value humanity and souls sooo very much that the act of turning Bella into a vampire is really deplorable to him. He can't see why she wants it as bad as she does. I also think that he doesn't grasp how disturbing the aging thing is really going to be for her. I agreed with how the vote went. I was surprised by Jasper's answer, I thought he would say no. At first I thought Rosalie was saying no because she doesn't like Bella as much, but I believed her when she explained that she wished that someone had been able to vote no for her. This is the first time that we see Rosalie a little bit tortured. I do tend to agree with Carlisle it seems very logical. I thought Edward's scenario, while desirable in some aspects, seems pretty illogical and dangerous to me.

I was floored! I thought her reason's for saying no to him were silly! But that was probably because I was totally taken by Edward at this point and wanted to be in her shoes! I think it makes sense not to get married while you are in high school, but beyond that, when its right, its right. I definitely can see Edward's point when he is pointing out that its silly if she is afraid of the committment of marriage. Sure marriage is scary, especially when you don't think you'll have the support of your parents. But on the other hand, a love as strong as there's semes like it would overcome that fairly easily. I think Bella just doesn't want to do anything to upset her parents since she knows she only has a short time with them left, and maybe she doesn't want things to end on a bad note, and I can respect that.

I do think she should marry Edward. I don't think the whole Vegas things is a great idea. But I see no problem with her getting married shortly after she graduates. I also think she should wait to become a vampire until after she graduates as well. I don't think she should stay mortal for a whole lot longer, but she shouldn't become one right away either.

My thoughts were the same as Bella's. I was all well and good with Carlisle doing it when she graduated, but once I knew that it was a possibilty that he change her, ther was no way I could ignore that! I totally wanted Edward to change her. That would be the best. I think it someone else were to change her, I would still be okay with it because I am going for the end result, but Edward is totally the one that needs to do it, just because.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I was like, Duh, Bella. But, yeah, she was totally justified. Edward left her, and she died that day. She had convinced herself, almost completely, that Edward had stopped loving her. Plus, she always thought she wasn't good enough for him. But I'm glad she realized that it was real. What a lovely epiphany. I wish we could all have one like that.

I was... surprised. I was actually surprised that so many of them voted yes. I don't know why... it makes sense. I was really surprised by Jasper's vote, I guess. Anyway, yes of course I understood Edward's reasoning, no matter how little I agreed. I understood Rosalie's reasoning to an extent... it got me wondering what she had wanted out of life. I always thought Bella becoming a vampire was the only logical choice... if Edward wanted to be happy, and to keep his family happy by staying alive... that is the only thing for it.

I knew it would happen, but I thought Edward would do something hugely drastic, like, you know sky writing or something lol. I was glad he did it this way, though, much more romantic. :)

Of course I thought she should marry Edward, even though I felt an immense amount of pain for Jacob. And I thought it was probably a good idea for her to get her high school deploma, then get changed, but plan B was never something I wanted to happen. I think the faster it happens, the happier they'd both be.

I thought the idea of Edward changing Bella himself was extremely romantic, and I want it to happen that way. I would feel very disappointed if someone else had to do it. Disappointed in both Bella and Edward.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

I think she's incredibly insecure so I can see her point of view, but then he SHOWS how much he loves her in everything he does COME ON NOW! I wanted to smack her.

I wasn't surprised about the way the vote went at all, except for Rosalie's explaination, it made me like her more. and I do agree it is the only logical choice.

Yes I was stunned and excited! When she said no it confused me...she's willing to give up her entire life to become a vampire to be with him...but she won't do a smiple little marrage? WTH? :roll:

I did think so because they were meant to be together and really she shouldn't look too much older than him or else people are gonna talk about the couger and the under aged boy... LOL

Oh I did because it just seems more romantic either him or Carlisle.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

She couldn't believe that he even loved her in all her humanishy ways, so I guess when it finally sunk in, all she could be was be a bit suprised.

Jazz's vote suprised me, but then I shouldn't have been so shocked because he was in love with a vampire with the ability to see the future and trusted her; and he knew how Edward wanted her, even without the call of her blood for him.
After reading Eclipse, and really understanding Rose's point of view, I could see where she was coming from.
Edward was all for her staying human as long as he could get.
I think Carlisle was right. Bella had to be changed because she wanted more with Edward, and he could tell. Bella had altered Edward's life and they both would need more.

A little, I wasn't expecting that but it made sense. As someone who's Bella's age, I can understand where she's coming from. Just based on what is happening in our culture getting married, marriages don't last as long as one would hope.

With the way she felt about him and the depression she went through, she should have married him. I couldn't see her without him, and it only seemed right. Their lives depended to much on the other to be whole. As for the becoming a vampire, I figured that she once she got something she wanted from Edward, she would have waited until she was ready.

I wanted Edward to change Bella, and no one else. Him changing her made her belong to him not only by marriage but in blood as well. I know that sounds confusing, but I really don't know how to explain it. Sorta like when you want something, it tends to mean more when it come out of your own pocket, then if the bank of mom and dad pay for it.
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I would have believed Edward too, only I would have started crying and he might have given up on leaving right then. So I can't fault her for something I would have done myself.

I thought it was great. Yeah, but he was ridiculous for thinking it. No, I didn't understand Rosalie's reasoning. Yes, I do agree with Carlisle.

Nope. I would have said yes, so I think she was being silly.

Yes, I thought she should marry Edward and become a vampire as soon as possible.

Yes, I did want Edward to do it, although I worried about his self control a little. I didn't want anybody else to do it and I thought if they did Edward might not want her enough to act to change her himself.