Gex X--the 30 something thread

Sarah-Lynn

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

Songs... Well, as I mentioned, I grew up in a strict Baptist church, and we weren't "allowed" to listen to rock music... I know.
I have been playing A LOT of catch-up since getting out of that whole atmosphere in 2001! Believe it or not.
Some songs that I do remember are "You Light Up My Life," "We Built This City on Rock and Roll," "Beat It," "We are the World," (we watched that tv special on that), "the Glory of Love" from Karate Kid, another one of my favorites.
I will always remember my highschool crush when I hear "When a Man Loves a Woman" because that was his favorite song. I always think of my first kiss when I smell the cologne Drakkar, because that's what the guy was wearing.
Did anyone else have a Chubbles??? I had the cream-colored one with the purple coat! Man, the things we rememeber!
Hera
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hera »

Goodness ladies, I am experiencing some major flashbacks. I was born in the late seventies (1977), so I don't remember much from that decade. My family moved from Colorado to Oklahoma when I was four in 1981 and I have lived here **trapped** ever since, except for a short time that I lived in Texas after getting married. I have currently been married for 8 years. We have a semi-Brady Bunch family. We each have two kids from our first marriages and we have two together.

I loved NKOTB and am trying to talk my husband into going to Dallas for their reunion tour. My room was literally wallpapered with their posters and my little sister's name is Jordan after you guessed it Jordan Knight. My parents were silly enough to let their 13 year old daughter help name her. Then when my youngest was born my sister tried to use that as her claim to help name her.

I would love to stay and reminice, but I have to get kids to school and myself to work. :(
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Hurray for 30-Something Twilight Fans!! I was starting to feel like an old crone.

For me, the most vivid memories i have from the past three and a half decades is the music. Oh, and Corey Haim. I know, I know, but I've always had a thing for vampires and when Lost Boys came out my walls were suddenly plastered with photos of Corey H (even though he was never a sexy vamp like Jason Patric).

My favourite tv show in the 80s was Starman. I don't know if anyone remembers it or not...it was subsequently cancelled and a huge letter-writing campaign was undertaken to try to save the show. We failed miserably. ;)

Back to the music...I loved Duran Duran, Prince, The Cure, The Smiths, The Violent Femmes, Michael Jackson, Dirty Dancing Soundtrack, Pretty in Pink Soundtrack...I still get a little misty when i hear the song "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and sometimes i get jacked up when I hear "Love is a Battlefield." Music has always been my saviour, even though i wasn't really allowed to listen to it when I was younger. It didn't stop me though--people would make bootleg cassette tapes for me. Remember cassettes??? :lol:
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Ladies, you are really making me feel nostalgic! I had to swoon when I saw Lost Boys - *sigh*! What I remember most about growing up (besides the great music that's been mentioned) is the clothes. I remember wanting clothes like Madonna and Cyndi Lauper and my mother refusing. I, too, grew up in a fairly conservative religious family and I remember always being told to stop watching MTv before it rotted my brain! Ha, remember when MTv played almost exclusively music videos and had VJs!?! :shock: The first president I remember is Reagan but I do remember My Little Ponies, Carebears and cabbage patch kids. Do you remember Jem and the Holograms? And the great Saturday mornings with Conjunction Junction, What's a Bill and Looney Tunes?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

OME!!! hahaha... Starman was one of my favorite shows! "The Last Starfighter" and "Space Camp" were 2 of my favorite movies, too!
Jem, Je-em, is truly outrageous! lol!

Then there's the classic stand-bys... Highway to Heaven, Little House, and the Waltons!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Was anyone else tortured by your parents having to watch ever episode of "Murder She Wrote"? My goodness, remember the A-Team? Hogan's Hero's and Chips??

This summer at our local city baseball game, we had the one and only "bad guy" from Karate Kid show up for the 80's themed night they did. My goodness, I can't believe how much time has passed! I get goosebumps remembering Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Real Genius, St. Elmo's fire....
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Sarh Lynn! You beat me. I was gonna post "Jem! Jem, she's truly outrageous. Truly truly outrageous!" You beat me to it. I have to run, but I will edit this in a little while.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
vegasn8ive
Learning to Love Green

Post by vegasn8ive »

Wow! Memory lane!!!! :lol:

I, too, am thirty-something. I'm glad to see there are more of us joining the Twilight universe. I've met a few people my age who have started reading the books recently. Hope to get to know some of you more. ;)
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

I've never even seen this thread. :lol: That's just funny to me! I love that we have yet another thread to converse in! :D

I'm 30-something, just barely, though. I was born in 1978 and turned 30 in April. I've been married for 10 years, but I don't have any children. I do have three cats, though, whom I love more than anything!

I'm a HUGE Star Wars and Indiana Jones fan. I used to watch TGIF every Friday and I always watched Saved By the Bell when I came home from school. I was so excited when Zack and Kelly finally got married! I remember watching Jem and the Holograms! My niece and I had a lot of their barbies! We loved them because their feet were bigger than regular barbies, so you didn't have to worry about losing their shoes (as much). I also watched the New Kids on the Block cartoon when they were big. I had a hug crush on them. They were the first band/music I really ever got into and I was so surprised/excited that they reunited. I wanted to go to one of their concerts to just say that I did, but they sold out too quickly.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

yay! someone else knows about Starman!

this is by and far my favourite thread. such wonderful memories, music and movies to overshadow the angst and agony of puberty.

Una, i totally had a crush on John from CHiPS. My dad and I used to watch it together.

As for Murder She Wrote, yes, i know the pain of having to sit through endless episodes. Oh, how i don't miss the days of one tv per household. ;)

I used to love the Saturday morning show Kidd Video with that cheesy band that turned into cartoons and had to fight the evil Master Blaster on the Flipside...does anyone remember that? i also used to rush home at lunch to watch an anime show called "Battle of the Planets."

sigh, it's nice to know that there are people out there who know what i'm talking about. a lot of my friends are younger and have no idea what i'm rambling on and on about.