Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Ambrosia
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Post by Ambrosia »

I am with you on that Oleander, I think the entire meadow scene was done poorly... but particularly the dialogue surrounding the sparkling and the actual sparkling itself. It sounded and looked tacky. I think they could have come up with something better than glitter.
Wrecking Ball Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Emmet loves blondes!
Randomness Regular
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I posted in the "I liked it" thread. It's quite long, so if you'd like to read it, head over there. I saw it yesterday for the 3rd time. It does get better with each time, and I see something new each time as well.

Yes, as someone else mentioned, the cross is there at the foot of the stairs as B&E head up to the kitchen. They don't say anything about it, though. I just noticed this yesterday, didn't catch it the first 2 times I watched it- lol.

As for the sparkle effect- I thought it was just okay. Honestly, that is what my diamond band looks like when it catches the sunlight. I thought Bella's reaction to it was just awful, though... it was just off, somehow, no smile or showing wonder at what he really looked like.

I'm nit-picking at this now, but I have issues with Rob's make-up. I read in articles that they didn't want to put too much on him, to let his natural skin tone come through, to show that he was different from the rest of the Cullens. A couple things bothered me:
1. They only made-up his face; his neck and ears were not covered. There were several shots of him from the side or back, and I found it a tad distracting to see that the face didn't match the rest.
2. The make-up wasn't consistent. He looks too "human" during the kiss and Prom scenes...actually Bella looks paler than he does. It was during these times that I felt like I was watching Rob and Kristen, not Edward and Bella, because he didn't LOOK like pale Edward.

I find that the more times I see it, the more I am able to separate it from the book. This was the very first movie I've seen that I've read the book before-hand. I like how they kept lines from the book. I loved the music, too. I liked how Rob's songs were played during "Edward" moments, almost as if Edward wrote them himself (after all, he IS a musician). My favorite scenes were the baseball game and the wound-sucking.
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

oh my Peaches..

Uhm.. yeah i FINALLY got to that part of the book-- and now i feel like i really need that cold shower- and maybe a cigarette(except i don't smoke) dayum. This book is AWESOME!
i think i Owe Shannon a Life time of Servitude! seriously.
i am pretty sure i will finish book 1 tonight.. probably be done with number 2 by tuesday i imagine- depends on how things go tomorrow- i may need to SAVOR this a little more.. wow.

okay so now i definitely see what you guys have been going on and on about! and i can't wait to read more.

My husband- who i finally got to read Twilight- mostly because he is afraid that if he doesn't i am going to run off with a Certain Cast member of the movie(yeah right) but he just now is understanding why i love twilight so much why i love ROB... he is reading new moon- he is nearly done- he put it down just before Edward called, i swear i saw him cry- but maybe not. he is enjoying the books- i told him Eclipse is the best- but i think he will probably like Breaking dawn more... we snuggled in bed last night-- me with my guttery BDB and him with his Innocent New moon- aww.

Who was it that y'all pictured as Wrath? i think i will have to go to the other threads and check that out..

thanks Shannon- I LOVE YOU haha for shiz girl
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Is the "peach" reference from BDB #1??? I have it, but haven't started reading it yet. I just unpacked it yesterday (after moving), and hugged it close when I got it out of the box! I can't wait to start reading it, but it'll have to wait until I get my apartment in order. It sounds like one I won't be able to put down!
Destani

Post by Destani »

I'm honestly in the middle about the movie, but I've only seen it once. I will watch it again when it comes out on DVD. I like the theater experience but you can't always catch everything so I want to watch it again at home where I can control the volume and not have to deal with others around me. I went during the week instead of opening weekend so I only had one group of young teenagers to deal with, but I'm still looking forward to watching it again in the quiet of my own home.

I went in with very low expectations because I generally hate book to movie adaptations and I'd read a lot of reviews from critics and fans alike downing the movie. I can't say that I came out loving the movie, but it was better than I expected. There were parts that I liked, a few parts that I loved and very few things that I truly didn't like at all.

I didn't like any of the special effects but that's not something that makes or breaks my enjoyment of a movie. I can deal with bad effects if I have to. The sparkling was ok I guess. I'm not sure how they could have done it better but I didn't think it was prominent enough. I can't imagine the Volturi having to kill Edward based on that sparkle effect, it just looked like glitter. I wasn't happy with some of the acting. Kristin was ok as Bella until she tried to show emotion and then she just looked spastic to me. I always remembered Jasper in the books standing as far away from Bella as he could but being very casual about it. I understood the reason behind the stiff, pained portrayal in the movie, I just didn't think they needed to do that in every scene. My main complaint though, was with the script. The mixture of new dialog and lines from the book didn't mesh well in my opinion. There were times where a line from the book seemed to come out of nowhere. I appreciated the attempt to use the lines but they sounded forced and out of place to me. And I missed the witty banter between Edward and Bella. Everything became more serious. Even when the humorous lines from the books were used, they were delivered so seriously by the actors.

I thought Charlie was great. I heard everybody raving about him before I saw the movie and I couldn't figure out why...now I know. He nailed the character and was given a bit more face time than he had in the book. I liked Rob's portrayal of Edward. He did an excellent job of showing Edward's introspective, brooding, self-loathing nature. I loved the scene in Port Angeles where Edward drives in and saves Bella. The way he spun the car around was just perfect, exactly the way I picture a Cullen driving. The baseball scene was also a great point in the movie. Jasper with the baseball bat was awesome. I liked the volleyball scene as well. Bella hitting Mike in the head with the ball was so appropriate and Mike and Jessica's characters were done very well throughout the movie but especially in that scene.

I know there's more I can comment on but I'll leave something for future posts.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Hi all! I haven't been here since Wednesday, and we're on page 4 of a new thread.

Welcome to the newest newbies! The Gutter is extremely addictive. Prepare to lose sleep, have starving spouses and children, and piles of unwashed laundry.

Movie Spoilers Below:

My thoughts on the movie change from day to day. Overall, I loved it. Some scenes made me cringe (ie. Ballet Studio when Rob & Kristin go cross-eyed when he sucks the venom from her arm and Rob's gaggy face in biology). Also, why did Kristin sputter erratically whenever anyone asked her a question? Bella didn't do that. That was seriously annoying.

Other things I didn't care for:
Carlisle's face and neck never matched.
Bella was just as pale as any vampire.
Mrs. Cope wasn't given her props.
No background on Esme. She's important, dang it!
Rosalie was wearing gloves in the kitchen --ohh wait --were they oven mitts? I noticed when she broke the glass bowl, she was wearing gloves.
The meadow scene. It was seriously lacking. I didn't feel the love between Edward and Bella.
The glitter wasn't so dazzling for me either. I'm not sure what I expected, so this part I will let go.

Things I loved:
Cafeteria scene when the Cullens are first introduced!!!
The Humans (Jessica was awesome. Eric was hilarious, geeky, and perfect. Mike was adorable. Angela was sweet and geeky. Tyler was cute and pathetic.)
Jacob and Billy *sigh*
The Nomads. James. Mmmm
Charlie was fantastic. He felt more real to me than almost anyone else.
The Kissing Scene. :twisted: Very hot.
The baseball scene was my second favorite scene. It wasn't exactly like the book, but it was still enjoyable and captured the essence of the characters.
I loved the entire kitchen scene. It was dead-on perfect. I wouldn't change anything. Well, perhaps the gloves.
I squeeed and pointed when I saw Stephenie! I was surprised at how many people didn't recognize her.
The soundtrack fit the movie perfectly. I was so excited to be able to silently sing along with the movie.

There are plenty other things I enjoyed or loved about the movie, but I don't want to go that into it here. As I said, I loved it. I've only seen it twice, and I can't wait to see it again.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Wow! So much going on.
I hope you all had a good week. I am glad to be back in my own home. As much as I have enjoyed the week of traveling and seeing family and friends, it is nice to be home (It has only been 2 hours and I am already on the lex!).

A highlight for me on my trip was meeting Nissanmama and Dimples. I am so happy I got to meet you. Sorry I wasn't able to meet with the SLTA. That would have been a blast, I heard the parties were way fun. It is kind of weird and fun to meet people in person after a year on the computer.

I saw the movie with my sister in law. We had a daytime date, so no screaming teens. We had fun and laughed at all the appropriate times (and a few inappropriate times). I loved Jessica and Charlie. Edward was played well, but could have had a few more smiles. Bella was a bit "concentrated" as well. Both could have had some happier moments.

I am looking forward to seeing the movie again with hubby...I am going to call him Gas_Man from now on. You may be asking, "Why Gas_Man?" On the old lex, hubby registered as Gas_Man. He is becoming an anesthesiologist. So I will now call him GM or Gas_Man.

Variety, my heart goes out to you with your son. I too am most worried about the running away. I hope you are able to use the advice given and the help of living angels to figure things out.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Like BSL and spookybell, I also posted on the Tw movie board. Here's an intro to my review:

I would give the movie a 6/10. To be honest, I was very weary about seeing it. I had my doubts on the casting and the clips that were shown to the fan prior to the movie were a hit or miss with me, but I went in thinking it would be good but not fantastic. I went to a midnight showing and I loved feeling the excitement in the air. It was great that people were so excited to read, discuss the book but also see the movie. I was very lucky in that there were no squealing, yelling or clapping during the movie. I think we were all on the edge of our seats. Many yelled at the previews because: a) they were lame and b) we just wanted to get to the movie!

I didn't expect to laugh so much during the movie. Some were funny because it fit the characters so well i.e. Bella banging Jake's head when she opens her car door or Renee asking Bella if she's safe. I was rolling on the floor. Some scenes were so overly done that I couldn't help but laugh, even though they were very serious in the book such as the famous Biology scene (was it me or did Rob look like he wanted to vomit?)and Carlisle changing Edward and Esme (can it get more tacky with the silent scene and yellow background?).

I was very disappointed with the meadow scene. Note to Rob: please wax your chest hair. You're suppose to be like smooth marble not wool. What was strange is that I didn't mind Rob's hair, but he did seem kinda scruffy when they did his close ups. Edward and Bella's relationship wasn't developed as much as I would like it to be. It was as fast as the car crash- they meet, talk a few scenes, she finds out his true identity and then bam!, they can't live without one another. I first didn't see the sparking in the meadow until they did a close-up and then it looked like he was sweating. They should've acted out the entire meadow scene as it was in the book.

I found it interesting that I loved the humans a lot more in the movie than the Cullens, particularly Eric and Mike Newton. The Cullens so stiff, especially poor Jasper. I thought he was going to crack from his frozen picture. I wish they gave the Cullens more lines. I also wish they kept the background story to Carlisle (especialy because this develops the soul controversy and introduces the Volutri) and Alice. I did love the scene where the Cullens were making Bella dinner, especially the cooking channel. I thought of Edward in BD. Emmett waves with his hand with a large knife was terrific.

Why Bella wore a converse shoe is beyond me. Seriously, a converse shoe?! The whole spider monkey thing really ticked me off. Edward would never ever in his 108 yrs of existence say that to Bella.

I knew it wasn't going to be great, but there were a lot of great moments in the movie. Billy Burke as Charlie was fantastic. I'm becoming a fan of Mike Newton after this movie :o :shock: . Never thought that would happen. I'm looking forward to New Moon. I hope the producers, director, and screenplay writer learn from the mistakes of TW and make NM 100 times better.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Two posts in one day! Who would have thought?

Thanks everyone for the respectful and thoughtful exploration of their thoughts on the movie here. Yes, I know there's a movie thread, but I tend to hang out just in the "adult" threads with some timid forays into other threads. Thanks for giving the Gutter the flexibility to discuss all sorts of topics mods!

(Okay, I'm all appreciative and emotional because I just finished Zarek's book as well as the Dark Hunter Christmas story with James Gallagher - it was that short story that was the first DH book to make me cry [or nearly cry - we have guests over right now and it'd be odd to have me shedding tears on the loveseat] - for those who have read the books, I think Simi is my favourite character).

I'll look at Jasper again when I watch it this Friday to see if the "military stance" you mention is noticeable to me. I look forward to enjoying it again or even more on my second view! (Who holds the record here on the Gutter for seeing the movie the most times so far? Can we give a little Gutter prize to the one with the most? Let me try and channel my inner Nena and use Photoshop to create a virtual trophy!)
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

Hope everyone had a nice day. The hubby took me wine tasting and for a tour of a local winery today. It's the first time I've ever done that, but it was fantastic. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in that sort of thing. We did buy way too much wine at the end of the tour though, so I'm pretty well stocked for a while.

Well I have seen the movie 5 times. I'm almost embarrassed to have seen it that many times. I was visiting family in Michigan and worried I wouldn't make the premier, but my younger brother surprised me with tickets as an early birthday gift. I've also conned several others into going with me including the sister-in-law and husband twice. He actually loved it. He just finished the Twilight book and is starting New Moon over his next training excercise on ship. (They last several days to a few months, so he has lots of time for reading)

LadyDi, you'll have to let me know what you think the second time. He's my husband's favorite probably due to Jasper's military background... so maybe I'm a little partial. Either way, it makes for good conversation!

GNE, I had the same reaction to Rosalie's sort-of gloves in the kitchen scene, which I also loved by the way! (Especially Emmett waving the knife and saying "Well her name is Bella") I had to ask my brother what was up with that, and he told me the kids at school are wearing those gloves with the finger cut-outs. They're supposedly "cool" now. Maybe that had something to do with it?
Wrecking Ball Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Emmet loves blondes!
Randomness Regular