The Jonas Brothers

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amsyn
Settled in Forks

Re: The Jonas Brothers

Post by Amsyn »

Well, the Jonas Brothers music that I have listened to, I didn't like at all. Their music has no meaning what so ever. They have never lived what they sing about. They don't have any personal experiences to write about. Love? Wtf? They are teenage kiddos. And the lead singer's voice is just horrible. The guitar playing is very generic.

Take Eric Clapton for example. Great guitarist, great voice. Recovering alcoholic and drug abuser, and father/grandfather. 90% of his songs have a deeper meaning. Tears in Heaven, for example, he wrote after his 5 year old kid died. Most of his love songs are for a girl he has loved for the past 40 years.

Bob Dylan. He inspired a whole generation to stand up for their beliefs, say "F you" to the government and corrupt leaders of the time. His songs are some of the most genuine ever written.

Even Guns N' Roses. Original GN'R was a force to be recokoned with. Slash and Izzy are some of the best rock guitarists of all time. Awesome solos, amazing riffs, and some of the most memorable intros of all time.

Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, etc, etc, all much better than Jonas Brothers.

In my honest opinion, the Jonas Brothers are just total BS. They will break up in a few years, turn to drugs, and won't be heard from again. But, that is just my opinion, but I will probably be flamed for it. ;)

Excuse me if I prefer music with an actual meaning.
Alice94
Settled in Forks

Post by Alice94 »

Okay. I am new here but I have been a Jonas Brothers fan from the time their first album came out, It's about time, until now and I can say that they have awesome voices, their guitar skills are unimaginable, and they write their own songs about their own hearts. :) They are young, but A Little Bit Longer was written about Nick Jonas' type one diabetes. :( He wrote it in five minutes then called his family in and played it for them. It is amazing. :D That's just my opinion. You can have your own. LOL lets keep this a happy bored! :D :lol: :mrgreen:
Amsyn
Settled in Forks

Post by Amsyn »

Okay. I am new here but I have been a Jonas Brothers fan from the time their first album came out, It's about time, until now and I can say that they have awesome voices, their guitar skills are unimaginable, and they write their own songs about their own hearts. They are young, but A Little Bit Longer was written about Nick Jonas' type one diabetes. He wrote it in five minutes then called his family in and played it for them. It is amazing. That's just my opinion. You can have your own. LOL lets keep this a happy bored!

Well, Alice, I don't like his voice at all. And the guitar playing isn't unimaginable.

I will give you some songs with some good guitar/vocals, that I think you might like, yeye?

Civil War - Guns N' Roses (Opening is a little iffy, but good overall song)

Hotel California - the Eagles

Aint Talkin Bout Love - Van Halen

All Along The Watch Tower - Jimi Hednrix

Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Guns N' Roses

Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses

Layla - Eric Clapton

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

I don't know if you like slow songs. If you do, I will post some good ones.
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

Alice94 wrote:Okay. I am new here but I have been a Jonas Brothers fan from the time their first album came out, It's about time, until now and I can say that they have awesome voices, their guitar skills are unimaginable, and they write their own songs about their own hearts. :) They are young, but A Little Bit Longer was written about Nick Jonas' type one diabetes. :( He wrote it in five minutes then called his family in and played it for them. It is amazing. :D That's just my opinion. You can have your own. LOL lets keep this a happy bored! :D :lol: :mrgreen:
You see, right there (bolded print), just proves that the songs don't have much meaning. You cannot write a song in five minutes. Matt Bellamy of Muse has been writing this one symphonic monster as they call it for years. It takes them nearly three years to release a new album and Matt writes all the songs. I don't think you can say that much for the Jonas Brothers. And Muse writes more than just love, they write about real world issues.. and other dark worldly things. :lol:
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

Twilight<3, did you read the whole post? It is about his diabetes. Trying to be unbiased here, have you ever heard that song? It is really good. Sometimes it does take a long time to write a song, but in this case, he was struck by a sudden bolt of inspiration.
List, Gnat ♥
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

Yes, I read the whole post and yes, I knew it was about diabetes. I know all about diabetes, it runs in my family and I have a few friends with it. Even if you had some experience and do know all about something, I still believe it takes longer to write a song. To be at its best and be so full of meaning. Oh, and yes, I have heard the song.
Amsyn
Settled in Forks

Post by Amsyn »

Well, a song that takes months for it to be written doesn't make it good. Take Paradise City, by Guns N' Roses, for example. That song took 20 minutes to write on a van ride after a gig. Nightrain by GN'R was made on a drunken walk home from a bar. Wonderful Tonight by Clapton was written in a matter of 10 minutes, while he was waiting for his wife to get ready for a party. So, the length it takes for the song to be written is irrelevant, really. It is the material in the song that matters, as well as the presentation. I'm not bashing Jonas Brothers fans by any means, I just don't like their music.
xStarlightembers;;]
Settled in Forks

Post by xStarlightembers;;] »

Before I even begin this post, know that I extend my deepest sympathies to Nick Jonas for his bad luck with the affliction. Like Twilight<3, I have it running in my family, so I have seen some of the frustration in my Aunts and Uncles. My cousin, the first of the younger generation of my family to get it, was very recently diagnosed. So while I do not understand personally, I can get an image as to why it would be discouraging.

At the same time, I must say that I agree truly meaningful (not specifically good) songs should not only take five minutes. To me, knowing it was written in such a sort time, makes me look at it more like a demo. While emotions can be expressed in little time, to really explore how you (and others) feel, sitting down and evaluating yourself for days (or months) is almost a requirement. I respect his honesty, but really think it was ridiculous to consider it finished after working on it for so little time...

I suppose, though, that A Little Bit Longer is the most personal song we are going to get from them. Love songs are beautiful and all, but only if you speak from experience -- true experience. The Jonas Brothers are too young to have fallen in love that many times, enough for the amount of songs they have on the subject. (They don't seem like the type to go from girlfriend-to-girlfriend, either...)

Have any of you ever heard of a band called Hawthorne Heights? I saw them on the 26th, and there was something about the way they sang their lyrics, the way the performance occurred - you knew it was real, sincere, and from the heart. Especially when they sang When Four Becomes One (worth looking up), which is about one of their guitarists that sadly passed last year (Rest in peace, Casey..you're missed and loved). Any person could see how hard it was for them to still be performing, especially that one song -- I cried, as did some of the girls (and my friend) around me. When you have songs like that, like the ones they sing, it's usually about more than love (and their few love songs are messages -- apologies, love 'notes' etc -- to their wives/girlfriends.) It has to be, because people experience more than love; to be truly from the heart, you need to touch from true experience, and from all types of experiences.

Another good example, in my opinion, is My Chemical Romance. (There, I said it; I know they're well hated, but oh well.) The singer, as with his brother (bassist), are recovering alcoholics and drug addicts whom are open about their struggles to convince others to walk a different path than they did (the singer included footage of himself throwing up intoxicated in their live DVD to show 'there's no glamor in that'). Songs like Helena (about their grandmother's death), Ghost Of You (about the fear of loss), Welcome to the Black Parade (about living through the loss of somebody, what happens after death, and that we should hold our heads high despite the pain), and Famous Last Words (about life) truly are from the heart. (And many fans [agree])

If the Jonas Brothers could do what those bands, among others that have been listed (Muse (<3), Bob Dylan, etc), I would respect -- or maybe even like -- them more. I'm not saying they have to change their sound to be more rock than pop; I would just enjoy to see them become more sincere, honest, open, heartfelt musicians. Their music would be so much more 'pure' and touching if they did that. And I believe they, along with anybody else that plays an instrument (including vocals), has the potential to do so.

Alright, I think I've said enough for now.
xStarlightembers;;]
12 Years Young . Proudly Female . Team Jacob (though happy with the ending) . Music Dependant . Rock fan. My Chemical Romance are my life . Hawthorne Heights (Nov 26th) . Avid reader .
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

Amsyn wrote:Well, a song that takes months for it to be written doesn't make it good. Take Paradise City, by Guns N' Roses, for example. That song took 20 minutes to write on a van ride after a gig. Nightrain by GN'R was made on a drunken walk home from a bar. Wonderful Tonight by Clapton was written in a matter of 10 minutes, while he was waiting for his wife to get ready for a party. So, the length it takes for the song to be written is irrelevant, really. It is the material in the song that matters, as well as the presentation. I'm not bashing Jonas Brothers fans by any means, I just don't like their music.
I wasn't talking about good songs. I was talking about meaningful songs.
xStarlightembers;;] wrote:At the same time, I must say that I agree truly meaningful (not specifically good) songs should not only take five minutes. To me, knowing it was written in such a sort time, makes me look at it more like a demo. While emotions can be expressed in little time, to really explore how you (and others) feel, sitting down and evaluating yourself for days (or months) is almost a requirement. I respect his honesty, but really think it was ridiculous to consider it finished after working on it for so little time...
Phew! I thought I was going to be attacked again. Haha. But I'm glad you can see where I am coming from. You basically just took my thoughts and posted them. So thank you for saving me a bit of typing. ;)
Amsyn
Settled in Forks

Post by Amsyn »

Well, being a good song and being meaningful should coincide. The song can be the most meaningful in the world, but if the singer is William Hung and the instruments are baseball bats on metal, then 0/10 for that song. As I said previously, material and presentation both matter, for a good song. One shouldn't exist w/o the other.