Imprinting

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Re: Imprinting

Post by heifergrl1 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:and what happened with sam and emily was that emily rejected him on the grounds that he was leah's, and i think she really gave him crap about how awful he was being, which built upon his already existent guilt and self-loathing, sending him into a tailspin. this is how he was - totally out of his mind - when emily found him. that's when he hurt her.
I agree with you on this. Sam just lost control, just like Jacob nearly did near Bella so many times. He was just able to get away from her in time before he could hurt her and that's why Edward was so concerned with Bella being around werewolves. Because they can loose control so quickly that they cannot control their instinctive actions.

To go along with the Claire and Nessie discussion, it was said earlier that they may not like that Quil and Jacob imprinted on them. But, according to the information that we have from the books, they will be happy with their "imprinters". They are each other's other half, if that makes sense. They do complete each other, and they will be drawn to each other due to the imprinting. Since Claire and Nessie are so young, Quil and Jacob don't see them in a sexual way. They protect them for now and keep them safe. And, when Claire and Nessie get older, their relationships with Quil and Jacob could change from a sibling to a boyfriend relationship. But, they could potentially fall in love with somebody else (even though, as stated earlier, it is not as likely because they will complete each other) and their "imprinter" would be okay with that. They just want them to be happy, even if that causes them to be unhappy.

Whew! That was long!

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

I was under the impression that when Edward called Jacob "son" he was just being bitter and sarcastic.
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

xXBeSafeXx wrote:I was under the impression that when Edward called Jacob "son" he was just being bitter and sarcastic.
I don't think so. He called him, also, of "brother". I think when he called Jacob "son", Edward was telling Jacob he was finally okay with the imprinting thing on his daughter. It was a ways weird thing to say (and to read).

I don't think the girls will suffer pressure to accept Jacob and Quil's feelings. I really doubt Renesmee will be raised like that. I think she'll grow with a very good idea of imprinting because she lives among mythical beings. She's mythical herself. So, for her, imprinting will sound probably as a natural thing.

Which doesn't mean she'll choose this kind of destiny for herself.

However, it's difficult to resist to someone who was always by your side and will be forever, no matter what happens. The promisse of true love is very endeering, very powerful, especially in times where we live, when people are so cynical and skeptical about love. It's the promisse of living something lots of people never experienced. Would you turn your back to something like this?
Last edited by Lunna-san on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
foolinthemoon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by foolinthemoon »

I honestly don't see Renesmee rejecting Jacob. She seems to long for his company just as much as he desired hers. Even when she was only a few days old, and Bella almost ripped him a new one *can't help but smile at that memory* Renesmee was very worried for him, and territorial even.
Midnight Sun Virgin ~ E<3B ~ Marcus doesn't seem to care that I love him... <3
Ichigo Kitty
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Ichigo Kitty »

I know I can't see Renesme rejecting Jacob either, she seems to adore him.
Ice and Fire co-existing together without destroying each other...

~ E<3B
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

The way Renesmee looks at Jacob is described as "possessive", even. Hah. That's one girl who is going to know what she wants.

I'm a little torn on the imprinting issue. For the people involved, it must be the greatest relief. Love can be such a hard thing to come by. You feel a certain way for somebody, but they don't; and it happens vice-versa. To meet the one person that you're supposed to be with just seems like the greatest gift. Of course, they have the ability to refuse. They can choose to be with somebody else. Why would they want to, though? It's supposed to feel like it's right.

But then you've got the people who are... Well, I don't want to say indirectly affected by it because it seems like for Leah, it was direct. On one hand, it made her feel defective because she hadn't imprinted. On the other, she had felt so strongly for Sam and for him to be torn away from her like that because of something so primal must have just been excruciatingly painful. At the time, imprinting probably seemed like a disgusting, almost evil concept to her. And while she may be getting over it, just the concept of having somebody you loved being taken from you because it was fate seems cruel.

As for imprinting on youngsters... I was a little creeped out at first, when Quil imprinted on Claire. I've really warmed up to it, though, because I know that the relationship changes. When Claire's five, Quil won't be thinking, "Daaaaannnng. What a hottie." He'll be concerned with her happiness and her protection. He'll be a brother, a protector, and a friend before he's ever a lover.

And then how Jacob changed after he imprinted on Nessie... I don't know how much it's been discussed because I didn't read through the entire thread, but... Well, he was such a happy and friendly kid in the first book. As the series went on, though, he got a LOT more angsty and angry. I was really disappointed at how much he changed after the imprinting (because I really liked Angsty Jacob), but I just realized that he reverted back to how he had been before. He wasn't focused on Bella anymore, so he didn't have a reason to be angry and objecting. He wasn't vying for Bella's attention; he had NESSIE. It wasn't that his bond with Nessie forced him to be so fixated on her that he became a different person. The imprinting just erased all of the anger, bitterness, competitiveness, etc. etc. that he had without Nessie and allowed him to be the type of person that was true to his nature.
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

heifergrl1 wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:and what happened with sam and emily was that emily rejected him on the grounds that he was leah's, and i think she really gave him crap about how awful he was being, which built upon his already existent guilt and self-loathing, sending him into a tailspin. this is how he was - totally out of his mind - when emily found him. that's when he hurt her.
I agree with you on this. Sam just lost control, just like Jacob nearly did near Bella so many times. He was just able to get away from her in time before he could hurt her and that's why Edward was so concerned with Bella being around werewolves. Because they can loose control so quickly that they cannot control their instinctive actions.
actually, jacob was NEVER that close to hurting Bella, EVER, with the possible exception of the final chapter in New Moon.

it must suck, being a werewolf, because every time you get angry - which is a normal and natural human reaction and not some bad thing if it's managed correctly - people assume you're losing control, or about to lose control.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
iamthevampiregirl
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by iamthevampiregirl »

At first, when Jacob explained the whole imprinting thing to Bella, I thought it was incredibly romantic. After reading BD though, I think that it's annoying. I'd hate to be in love with a person just because of that. Even if I don't mind at the time, It'd be because the imprinting changed my mind on it's own accord and I wouldn't realise it, or I wouldn't think it was a big deal. You know what I mean?? I hate having something else make up my mind.
iamthevampiregirl
Buying a Better Raincoat

At first, when Jacob explained the whole imprinting thing to Bella, I thought it was incredibly romantic. After reading BD though, I think that it's annoying. I'd hate to be in love with a person just because of that. Even if I don't mind at the time, It'd be because the imprinting changed my mind on it's own accord and I wouldn't realise it, or I wouldn't think it was a big deal. You know what I mean?? I hate having something else make up my mind.
iamthevampiregirl
Buying a Better Raincoat

oops sorry for posting twice, I had trouble with the computer. How do you delete??