Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
revrag
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Post by revrag »

Boy, after reading a few (more than a few actually) of these posts, I almost feel ashamed to say that I've seen the movie twice. It doesn't really matter why, but let me offer just a brief thought(s) here.

The first time I saw this movie, I was borderline uncomfortable (it wasn't even because of the screaming girls in the theater). I knew a few of my friends (and husband for that matter), who haven't read the books were going to think I was a crazy person! It was so thrown out of context and jumbled that I just felt wrong. I can't even explain it. I'm a die hard fan...I mean really die hard, so to have scenes protrayed so oddly and the way Edward and Bella's relationship progressed, or just was...without explaination was awful. It was just weird. I wanted more of the meadow part as well...who doesn't really? And when Bella walks into the forest and Edward follows her, it just seems stalker-like...which he is admittedly, but in a better way (I'm tired and making no sense). I did really enjoy the kiss scene though, that was hot...not what I expected, but very hot anyway. I didn't enjoy a lot of the movie that first time.

The second time I went to see it, I obviously knew what to expect. I was actually able to look at it differently and without any expectations because, again, I already knew what to expect. I enjoyed myself the second time, mostly because it was entertaining in many ways and even (humor me here) clever. Ya, the running and climbing stuff was silly, but I overlooked it. Maybe it's just that Rob Pattinson is just so darn good looking...and I did, surprisingly, find myself attracted to Charlie, even though I'm significantly younger... It also helped that I went with someone who didn't first read the book...she actually liked the movie!

Alas, to each their own. Right?
Bellax23
Settled in Forks

Post by Bellax23 »

let me first say, i have seen the movie 3 times, and it gets better each time. Each time you watch the movie, you know what to expect and you dont compare book to movie after the first time.

I do wish some scenes in the movie were not in.. like the whole police station scene when they see carlise bc he had to examine the body, and the tree top scenes and when the bad vamps kill the fisherman.
instead they could have made the meadow scene longer, or the "blood type" scene...ugh just so many different things.

and i agree with most about the character development. They were merely background actors to bella and edward. I love the actors picked for these characters and wished i could have seen and HEARD more from them.

but i am continue to stay a rue fan.. and go watch twilight for the 4- 1,000,000th time...in theatre and dvd!!!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

morethanmyownlife wrote:Did anyone notice that Billy was driving? Wasn't the whole point of him selling Bella his car was that he couldn't drive? Wasn't the whole point of Jacob being with him half the time was because he had to be the one to drive him? BIlly is also supposed to be incredibly overweight. Couldn't they have given him a body suit or something? My boyfriend even commented during the movie, hey that guy is in a wheel chair how was he just driving? It's the little things that count, and the little things that ruin a movie..
Trust me, most everything about this movie was just plain wrong!!!!! That's is why I am worried about New Moon. I know that at the end of the day it is after all just a movie, but do it RIGHT and not make a mockery of the beauty and love and witty banter and the whole essence of these books by giving us a totally watered down version of some hippy/angst trip that we got from Twilight. Got that Hardwicke & Rosenberg???!!! :x
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
AliceLove
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by AliceLove »

My biggest issues with the movie were the lack of really good parts, too many unnecessary, added-on scenes, and the whole movie being rushed.

I mean, seriously. The meadow scene was a complete failure. One minute Bella's all "I am mad at this guy" and the next, they're walking into the forest together, and then out of nowhere Edward's like "you need to see me in the sun!" and they took the quotes from the books and sorta just stuffed them in randomly. that was quite a big disappointment.

And the whole "bad vampires/random people dying" thing was just weird. At one point, there's like these people and this guy's like trying to run from something and then you see him just like die, and my friends and i were like "what the crap is this?" of course, it was victoria and james and laurent, but why??? why put this scene in when you could use the time to develop bella and edward's relationship, or talk some more about the cullen family??? WHY?!?

also, kristen stewart just seemed AWKWARD. she did not seem like "i am completely and utterly and irrevocably whatnot in love with edward", she seemed like "whatever". and she didn't smile! like ever!!!

So, yes, i was rather upset by this movie, though going in i already knew i probably was going to be disappointed. but of course, definitely gonna see new moon right? i am a true twilight fan at heart. :D

Thanks ilovetwilight!
inlovewithedward
Settled in Forks

Post by inlovewithedward »

I saw the movie and I was a little disappointed because they rushed the love between Edward and Bella. The love between Edward and Bella is central to the entire series and they did not establish that in Twilight. In the book, their love is a soulfull, deep love. But, in the movie, it comes across as just a physical attraction and that is very sad. Therefore, I think that they are going to have to make up for that loss in New Moon or the audience is not going to understand why Bella is so hurt and why Edward tries to kill himself. I know that New Moon has a lot of Jacob in it and stuff about the wolves. But, they are just going to have to gloss over that and concentrate on establishing Edward's and Bella's relationship as being something other than just physical. Edward is there at the beginning of the book, so they can do that at the beginning of the movie so that we will feel the hurt when he leaves.

As far as the acting, I think that Robert Pattinson was fantastic as Edward. I think that he nailed him. The problem was that the screenwriter didn't give him much to work with. I also think that Kristen Stewart was great as Bella.
AngelYve83
Wandering Through Town

Post by AngelYve83 »

Let me just say that I watched the movie two times and I still feel this movie was a complete hack job. This was not a good adaptation to the book many of us love so much. I get that they didn't have a big budget and couldn't fit the whole book into the movie, I get that. But without comparing it to the book I would have asked myself what was the point of this movie. I'm not even sure if I would have bothered reading the book after seeing the movie. So many things were wrong with this movie. I'm going to try and keep this short and simple.

- The added scenes with the nomads attacking the city of Forks really bothered me in so many ways. Of course in the book they do not get introduced until the last few chapters. The movie made it more suspense/action and I just felt Edward would have been a little more protective of Bella like in the other books if the city was in this type of danger.
- The romance build up between Bella and Edward bothered me so much because it was never there. Everything was rushed! It just seem like there was hardly a decent convo between the two and after the restaurant they cut the ride in the Volvo short by making Edward drop Bella off at the police station instead of her house. And the meadow scene was also a big disappointment because instead of it being Edward showing her his place he actually did looked like a derange stalker. It was also where the first kiss should have taken place not in her bedroom which was close to R rated in my opinion. That kissing scene made me upset because she was in her underwear which isn't Bella in the book and because they jumped in her bed as if they were about to do something else.
- I was really looking forward to seeing the Biology scene because it explains how Bella faints at the sight and smell of blood. But they cut that and added the field trip.
- The lack of the Cullens family and the connection they make with Bella bothered me so much. Especially how Bella and Alice becomes the best of friends at the end of the book. There was no insight on Carlise's history, Esme's suicide, not even Alice's connection to James! Oh and not even a mention on Jasper's abilities to control emotions. - I also noticed how Billy was driving the truck in the movie which didn't make sense at all. Someone in another forum was trying to give me this dumb excuse on how they make vehicles adaptable for handicap people. I understand that is possible, I'm not a moron. But the whole point was that he sold his truck because he could no longer drive and Jacob should have been doing the driving.
- They never showed how Bella was more mature for her age. She just seemed akward and boring.

I can't think of anything else right now. These were some of my biggest issues with the movie. I hate how jumpy it was especially when Edward finally talks to Bella during Biology and during that free time they had after they completed the assignment. It just all of a sudden jumps to them being out of class and Edward walking Bella to her locker and continuing their convo. This movie was just all wrong Catherine Hardwick and Melissa Rosenberg just did not connect with the story the same as we all did. In my opinion it never stayed true to the book which is what I kept hearing for months after month of promo and interview CH made. This was definitely a hit and miss. I couldn't help but have high hopes for this movie after all the hype and talks. Now that I've already heard Catherine Hardwicks idea for New Moon I can safely say I will not waste my money watching it because she already plans on butchering the story once again. Thanks a lot Summit for killing a great series! Sorry for the emotional rants everybody, I just had to get this off my chest. I feel much better now.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

AngelYve83 wrote:Let me just say that I watched the movie two times and I still feel this movie was a complete hack job. This was not a good adaptation to the book many of us love so much. I get that they didn't have a big budget and couldn't fit the whole book into the movie, I get that. But without comparing it to the book I would have asked myself what was the point of this movie. I'm not even sure if I would have bothered reading the book after seeing the movie. So many things were wrong with this movie. I'm going to try and keep this short and simple.

- The added scenes with the nomads attacking the city of Forks really bothered me in so many ways. Of course in the book they do not get introduced until the last few chapters. The movie made it more suspense/action and I just felt Edward would have been a little more protective of Bella like in the other books if the city was in this type of danger.
- The romance build up between Bella and Edward bothered me so much because it was never there. Everything was rushed! It just seem like there was hardly a decent convo between the two and after the restaurant they cut the ride in the Volvo short by making Edward drop Bella off at the police station instead of her house. And the meadow scene was also a big disappointment because instead of it being Edward showing her his place he actually did looked like a derange stalker. It was also where the first kiss should have taken place not in her bedroom which was close to R rated in my opinion. That kissing scene made me upset because she was in her underwear which isn't Bella in the book and because they jumped in her bed as if they were about to do something else.
- I was really looking forward to seeing the Biology scene because it explains how Bella faints at the sight and smell of blood. But they cut that and added the field trip.
- The lack of the Cullens family and the connection they make with Bella bothered me so much. Especially how Bella and Alice becomes the best of friends at the end of the book. There was no insight on Carlise's history, Esme's suicide, not even Alice's connection to James! Oh and not even a mention on Jasper's abilities to control emotions. - I also noticed how Billy was driving the truck in the movie which didn't make sense at all. Someone in another forum was trying to give me this dumb excuse on how they make vehicles adaptable for handicap people. I understand that is possible, I'm not a moron. But the whole point was that he sold his truck because he could no longer drive and Jacob should have been doing the driving.
- They never showed how Bella was more mature for her age. She just seemed akward and boring.

I can't think of anything else right now. These were some of my biggest issues with the movie. I hate how jumpy it was especially when Edward finally talks to Bella during Biology and during that free time they had after they completed the assignment. It just all of a sudden jumps to them being out of class and Edward walking Bella to her locker and continuing their convo. This movie was just all wrong Catherine Hardwick and Melissa Rosenberg just did not connect with the story the same as we all did. In my opinion it never stayed true to the book which is what I kept hearing for months after month of promo and interview CH made. This was definitely a hit and miss. I couldn't help but have high hopes for this movie after all the hype and talks. Now that I've already heard Catherine Hardwicks idea for New Moon I can safely say I will not waste my money watching it because she already plans on butchering the story once again. Thanks a lot Summit for killing a great series! Sorry for the emotional rants everybody, I just had to get this off my chest. I feel much better now.
AMEN!!!!! Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming hack job that will be New Moon. :evil: And DO NOT apologize, there are plenty of us, me especially, that could not agree more or say it any better. Lord knows I've foamed at the mouth about it! :x :x

My question is "Where's Stephenie?" Will she even say anything if New Moon turns out to be total crap?!

We shall see.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
aubsmiles
Settled in Forks

Post by aubsmiles »

I'm sure I'm echoing the sentiments of everyone else- but this was quite possibly one of the worst movies I've seen in a while...period. The acting was not good, it seemed like everything was wrong. Camera angles, story line, everything. So disappointing. I've seen plenty of low-budget movies that were excellent, so that excuse doesn't fly. Important aspects of the story were skipped, and nonsense was added instead. I have a hard time believing that Stephenie Meyer actually thought this movie was a good representation of the book. I wonder if it just snowballed and she felt like she couldn't say no to it? I went in with as low expectations as possible, and the movie still managed to disappoint. I think it had so much potential. I'm crossing my fingers that maybe somehow another director will get permission to make a different version of the movie. Is that allowed? I hope so! Also, I actually enjoyed the performance of the supporting actors and actresses. I was not looking forward to Elizabeth Reaser playing Esme, but I thought she did fairly well...in addition to Rosalie and Alice. Makes it all the more disappointing that a movie with so much potential was terrible. Did anyone catch the look that Billy gave Edward when he was driving by in his car...so ridiculously cheezy it wasn't even funny. I guess I can sum up my thoughts by quoting what my friend (sitting next to me at the movie) leaned over and said during the Edward/Bella in the field scene: "I feel like I'm on a really bad trip!"
AngelYve83
Wandering Through Town

Post by AngelYve83 »

I feel so at home in this forum to express how I felt about this movie. It just seem like whenever you express your disappointment in the movie you always have the excuse that the budget wasn't there and time was also an issue. I agree with you Aubsmiles that they have been plenty of low budget movies where the acting was great and the movie still turned out one of the best. Navarre I also asked myself where was Stephanie, because Twilight the book was her vision, her baby basically and I really find it hard to believe she thought this was a great adaptation. I even mentioned that the reason this movie made so much money is because of the die hard fans of the book. I became a huge fan when I kept hearing so much talk surrounding the film. I thought I should pick up the book and see what the fuss was about and fell in love instantely. I also feel that seeing a movie more than one time shouldn't have to convince me to like it. First impression always last the longest for me.
revrag
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by revrag »

Here's the deal. The director, money people, screen writers, etc...can just relax and not think about how they are going to fit all of New Moon into a small movie, because the fan base is just so ENORMOUS that we would be willing to sit through an 8 hour movie...so no need to cut anything and they can take their time. I'm all for that. Yeah...wish they figured that out with Twilight...