Actor-based discussion regarding the Twilight Saga cast

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Re: Billy Burke as Charlie Swan

Post by G-Faerie08 »

mish241091 wrote:I think there was nothing wrong with the casting for Charlie however I feel that the script for his part was slightly off compared to the book, he just seemed too involved than what he should have been but I dont know, maybe i misread his character.
I think I understand what you mean..Charlie was not quite as involved in the book as he was in the movie..but then again we have to remember that they pretty much changed a lot of what happened in the movie versus what happened in the book..Like, I don't recall them going out to eat numerous times in the book..but they were in that diner or whatever it was like 3 times in the movie.

So yeah..That unfortunately is the price of having movies based on books. As long as the basic point of the story is made, the other stuff doesn't really matter.
AmandaBlack
Settled in Forks

Post by AmandaBlack »

G-Faerie08 wrote:
mish241091 wrote:So yeah..That unfortunately is the price of having movies based on books. As long as the basic point of the story is made, the other stuff doesn't really matter.
Yeah thats exactly true.
In my opinion, they changed too much of the little details. But whatever makes the money is what goes.
And as for Billy, i kind of pictured him like that just without the mustache. I dont know... He didnt seem as loving as in the books. His voice had no emotion in it.

The Cullens make me WANT to be a Vampire. -bite-
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I think Billy did a pretty good job. Not like, he WAS Charlie as Peter was Carlisle, but he was good.
When I went to go see Twilight again though, it was full of non-twilighters and all of the lines they laughed at were Charlie's lines. I think they wanted him to be the comedian.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
CastMeNotAway
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by CastMeNotAway »

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, I LOVED Billy Burke in this movie!

Physically, he definately wasn't what I imagined (that man is wayyyy too good-looking to be Charlie! :lol: ) but his acting was really great!

I do agree that Charlie's personality and relationship with Bella was a little bit different than in the book... He was a bit less loving, and their relationship was definately more awkward/strained, but I actually really liked the direction they took it in!

He gets an A+ from me! :D
Sig by me, icon by wwonder at LJ ~ 9/11/07 & 11/15/08 <3 ~ Official "Innocent Bystander" of the Robnapping Crew!
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

I thought the same thing CastMeNotAway. In my head, I pictured Charlie totally differently. Like grayer, and a little plumper than Billy Burke..but after seeing the movie, I totally love Billy as Charlie!! I thought it did great and him and Kristen, to me anyway, really brought to life a father/daughter relationship.
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

No no no.

Billy just didn't do it for me. he wasnt fat, or balding, or kind of ugly. he could have been a vampire.

His personality definitely didnt come across as the charlie i know either.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
littlelamb
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by littlelamb »

Honestly he is not what I pictured for Charlie at all but after seeing him, I think he did a great job. Physically he is not the same but I kind of liked his attitude. I mean in the books he is a bit more passive but I always wanted him to be a smidge more involved ( I mean he's the Sheriff) so I think the movie character was a medium for me.
Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

CastMeNotAway wrote:Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, I LOVED Billy Burke in this movie!

Physically, he definately wasn't what I imagined (that man is wayyyy too good-looking to be Charlie! :lol: ) but his acting was really great!

I do agree that Charlie's personality and relationship with Bella was a little bit different than in the book... He was a bit less loving, and their relationship was definately more awkward/strained, but I actually really liked the direction they took it in!

He gets an A+ from me! :D
I agree with you! I loved this version of Charlie that we saw on screen. Yes, he was different than how I pictured Charlie in the books, but different in a good way, at least for me. Plus, I thought that he had some great funny lines. All of the pepper spray bits and also the loading of the shot gun when Edward came in before the date. It made me laugh bc he is a cop and all and he was just trying to protect his daughter. He was one of my favorite characters in the movie, contrary to the books where he was just more of a background player to me more than anything.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

The loading of the gun was great! Billy done an excellent job as Charlie in my opinion, very fatherly.
edwardisperfection
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by edwardisperfection »

Although he looked completely different to how i imagined him i n my head... I mean, a moustache? weird

But I thought Billy Burke made Charlie one of the standout characters in the movie. I loved all his lines especially anytime he mentioned pepperspray...

and when Bella was leaving, he was so good, and really believable. I had tears in my eyes.
TeamEdward
Bringing sexyback since 1901.
"So the lion fell in love with the lamb."
"What a lucky lamb."