Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
OnyxEyes
Wandering Through Town

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Post by OnyxEyes »

Though I liked the movie I can understand your guyzes (not a word really, lol) frustration. But maybe I was so happy because I seriously thought the movie would turn out like the Eragon one. Compared to that, Twilight was awesomesauce.

I have also had the experience of being disappointed with movie adaptations of books before, like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (they always leave out sooo much, and put stupid jokes in, but I digress). After a bit, I realized that no movie was going to be exactly like the book, or as good as the book in its entire form, but that it could still be enjoyable. At least they followed the plot for Twilight and didn't make the FBI version they originally planned. That woulda been horror. :o
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

OnyxEyes wrote:Though I liked the movie I can understand your guyzes (not a word really, lol) frustration. But maybe I was so happy because I seriously thought the movie would turn out like the Eragon one. Compared to that, Twilight was awesomesauce.

I have also had the experience of being disappointed with movie adaptations of books before, like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (they always leave out sooo much, and put stupid jokes in, but I digress). After a bit, I realized that no movie was going to be exactly like the book, or as good as the book in its entire form, but that it could still be enjoyable. At least they followed the plot for Twilight and didn't make the FBI version they originally planned. That woulda been horror. :o
In response to the Lord of The Rings, Peter Jackson did NOT forget the essence of the stories and those movies were hands down the best adaption from book to film I have ever scene. Hardwicke may not have given us the stupid 'FBI scenario' as originally proposed by those morons at MTV or wherever, but she still did NOT adapt the soul of Twilight, she just gave us her interpretation of the book and NOT SM's.

That is why she failed miserably in this movie. She is not in tune with this particular genre (vampire), everything to her is 'groovy man and teen angst b.s.' and she either needs to reread the books and consult along with Rosenberg with Stephenie or get out of the way and let someone else with the moxy to do this movie right.

The soul of New Moon must be included or we will have another lifeless, choppy, stilted and wooden movie and performances as was witnessed in Twilight. Period.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
dazzled_twilighter
Wandering Through Town

Post by dazzled_twilighter »

.....sorry this was accidentally posted..
Last edited by dazzled_twilighter on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazzled_twilighter
Wandering Through Town

Post by dazzled_twilighter »

navarre wrote:
OnyxEyes wrote:Though I liked the movie I can understand your guyzes (not a word really, lol) frustration. But maybe I was so happy because I seriously thought the movie would turn out like the Eragon one. Compared to that, Twilight was awesomesauce.

In response to the Lord of The Rings, Peter Jackson did NOT forget the essence of the stories and those movies were hands down the best adaption from book to film I have ever scene. Hardwicke may not have given us the stupid 'FBI scenario' as originally proposed by those morons at MTV or wherever, but she still did NOT adapt the soul of Twilight, she just gave us her interpretation of the book and NOT SM's.

That is why she failed miserably in this movie. She is not in tune with this particular genre (vampire), everything to her is 'groovy man and teen angst b.s.' and she either needs to reread the books and consult along with Rosenberg with Stephenie or get out of the way and let someone else with the moxy to do this movie right.

The soul of New Moon must be included or we will have another lifeless, choppy, stilted and wooden movie and performances as was witnessed in Twilight. Period.
I completely agree with everything you said. The Lord of the rings movies were amazing and probably the best book-to-movie job i have ever seen. And about the harry potter comment, i think those were veyr welll done as well. Yeah they left out some parts, but that is to be expected. THey didn't leave out anything important, and that is the most important thing. Overall I think they were awesome, and ten times better than twilight.

I am so sick of hearing people say that people are being too critical and were expecting the movie to be as good as the book. Helloooo! I am not an idiot. I was never expecting that. THe books are amazing and htere is no way the movie could ever possible live up to the books. The problem with the movie is simply that the directing and screenwriting was horrible. And FYI, if you actually do your research on the movie you will find that it is not only fans saying it wasn;t good. The movie has gotten bad reviews on every newspaper/magazine/website review that I have seen. And those are not biased fans. It seems to me like the only people who are saying that they really loved the movie are young teenage girls who have no idea how to tell a good movie from a bad one. They only like it b/c its twilight. If you actually thought the movie was great, then sorry, but you wouldn't know a classic if you saw one. And btw, it was number one in the box office not because it was so good, but because of the massive number of obsessed fans. (yes, I am one of them as well.)

Sorry for the rant, but this has jsut been really bothering me. I can't stand when people tell me that i'm just being ignorant and obviously the movie isnt as good as the book...that i was expecting it to be. I am 21 years old. I wasn't born yesterday people. I know how to tell a good-produced movie and a bad-produced movie. and twilight was definitely bad....I jsut really really hope they change directors for New Moon...I really loved this book and i would hate to see it do bad as well.

And btw, just to clarify, I am not saying I hated the movie all together. I have seen it twice and definitely want to see it more..I can't wait till the dvd. But only because I love twilight so much and the story and everything. Not because the movie was so amazing and awesomely well done.
AngelYve83
Wandering Through Town

Post by AngelYve83 »

Dazzled_Twilighter you shouldn't feel bad for ranting. I did a few of my own on another forum. It just seem like you have to like the movie or you're not a real Twilight fan. I just don't understand how people who have read the book still feels this movie was true to the book. I even told people that the reason this movie was a huge hit was only because of the fan base and others who wanted to see what the hype was about. All the important things to this story was left out, this to me just didn't feel like Twilight. I just can't understand how people are praising Catherine Hardwick and Melissa Rosenberg for this mess. This movie was just a sloppy mess. I still wonder if they actually read the right book and if the production company actually saw the movie.
navarre

Post by navarre »

Exactly, dazzled_twilighter and AngelYve83, exactly!!!!!!!
OnyxEyes
Wandering Through Town

Post by OnyxEyes »

Heh, sorry, didn't mean to get everyone all fired up. :) I just think that when you love a book so much, sometimes it's a given you'll be disappointed with the movie. My mom is a really hardcore LotR fan and she had about the same reaction to those movies that you guys are having, believe it or not. Still, I do agree that the LotR films were generally better than the Twilight adaptation. For one thing, they were like 3 hrs long.

And I'm sorry to say that I've been disappointed with every HP movie but the first and second. Not that I didn't enjoy the others, but they're almost like companions to the book, you know?

As I said, I didn't mean to offend. This is just my perspective. :oops:
navarre

Post by navarre »

OnyxEyes wrote:Heh, sorry, didn't mean to get everyone all fired up. :) I just think that when you love a book so much, sometimes it's a given you'll be disappointed with the movie. My mom is a really hardcore LotR fan and she had about the same reaction to those movies that you guys are having, believe it or not. Still, I do agree that the LotR films were generally better than the Twilight adaptation. For one thing, they were like 3 hrs long.

And I'm sorry to say that I've been disappointed with every HP movie but the first and second. Not that I didn't enjoy the others, but they're almost like companions to the book, you know?

As I said, I didn't mean to offend. This is just my perspective. :oops:
You did not offend me at all, OnyxEyes. I was stating my opinion regarding this movie. It does not bother me that people liked it - I don't understand how they could, but that's cool with me. :) Everyone has a different view, mine is that Twilight was dead on arrival, with no heart or soul, it was completely lifeless, a tragedy!

I am hoping for a redemption in New Moon, but I am not holding my breath for it.
AngelYve83
Wandering Through Town

Post by AngelYve83 »

Onyxeyes you personally didn't offend me either. I agree with Navarre that Twilight wasn't what it was cracked up to be. I got more worked up with the fact that people felt you shouldn't express your feelings about the movie if you didn't like it. They keep making up excuses and praising the director and screenwriter for this. I also felt Kristen Stewart was horrible as Bella. she always looked bored.
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

The book in my opinion was one of the best books ever, just because Twilight and the other books were the first books I got obsessed with, the first books i actually bought instead of borrowing and the first books I have read over and over again.

I knew the film wouldn't live up to all Twilighters' expectations simply because as they read it in their minds they imagined the story of how they interpreted the words.

In my mind the meadow scene would have been the most powerful scene there, the point where Edward fully reveals himself, this would have been at least 5-10minutes long. Also the blood typing class where Edward comes to her rescue was one my favourite scenes and I was expecting this in the movie and was shocked when it wasn't included. Also I think the love aspect of the movie wasn't developed in the movie and some non-twilighters may not have got the fact that Bella is totally in love unconditionally with Edward.

The acting was ok, I loved the looks Edward gave Bella at times and I loved the way he switched his moods.

However I do understand this is the director's take on the material and i respect that.
I'll still be watching the movie again at the cinema twice, then buying the DVD to add to the shelf along with the Twilight saga.

Also I would sit in the cinema for 5 hours if I had to if it was any of the Twilight saga and I'm sure many others would too. :)