Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
knoxdiver
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by knoxdiver »

I actually like The Host better than Twilight, although I completely love the series as well (that's why I'm here!). I just thought The Host did a better job with real-life relationships in a fictional setting. I guess that's the point with Twilight, that the characters are NOT human and shouldn't have to always act like it. There's something raw and powerful about The Host, though, that really caught me. I think it's one of those things where they DO only have a set amount of time on earth (like Wes and Walter *cries*) and it's such a short time. Wanda and the vampires could theoretically have forever, but the rest of the humans have such a short time to live and love.

Oh, yeah, and I definitely like the fact that The Host was actually intended to be an adult novel. It's hard to find really worthwhile adult fiction that isn't completely disgusting or boring, you know what I mean? It deals with adult concepts, but it's still clean and exciting. That really pulled me in. And it says something about Stephenie's character (yes, I know she's Mormon, but I am too and I know others of our religion that are not always as....ah, morally inclined in their media choices) that she won't compromise herself to fill her novels with degrading material.

Anyway, all that aside, I read Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse first so without them, I never would have read The Host. I love the saga, just not as much as The Host. I think they're just as beautifully written, humorous, romantic, and fantastic as The Host.
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

I prefer Twilight although I do love the Host too its just that I read Twilight first and I'm more into Vamps and Werewolves and all things supernatural. It took reading a couple of chapters before I got fully into the Host but with Twilight I loved it straight away!

Although I must admit the storyline for the Host is more intriguing and different than the Twilight series.
knoxdiver
Settled in Forks

Post by knoxdiver »

Very true. About the first 100 pages of The Host I was sitting there going, "What the heck is going on? Where's the love triangle? Where's the action?!" whereas with Twilight I was taken in immediately. Still, I just think the overall payoff was bigger for The Host. I totally love vampires, too, but I think that since The Host is even more inventive, it holds my attention better.
gokrazy323
Settled in Forks

Post by gokrazy323 »

I love both of them! I think twilight was defenetly more gushy and revolved more around bella and edward's love more than anything. But in the host it was mostly revolved around plain out survival. Also the host used ALOT more imagining than twilight just because of the planets and such. But I think stephanie did an amazing job on both books! I am praying for sequels!
TeamEdward99
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamEdward99 »

I like Twilight better. The characters make more sense to me and I like the plot better. Ian and Wanda are a great couple in The Host. But Bella and Edward are the more ideal couple. They face many troubles but it works out better. Melanie and Jared are great and it works out perfectly in the end. There are too many good couples in Twilight and I enjoy it more. I prefer Twilight over The Host. I still enjoy The Host but like Twilight better.
iamthevampiregirl
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by iamthevampiregirl »

I didn't like the Host that much because I knew it was written by Stephenie Meyer - I realised that it was a LOT like Twilight, but in a diluted form. It made me think that she writes it based on Twilight almost. I mean, the main caracter (Wanda, Bella) are both portaited as helpless saintly girls. Then, the tension between Jared and Ian was a lot like Edward and Jacob. I would have loved it if I didn't realise that, because for some reason, now I don't feel like it was original. I loved the originality though. It reminded me of Scott Westerfeld - how you always wonder where they got those amazing ideas from.
victorias_alter_ego
Settled in Forks

Post by victorias_alter_ego »

iamthevampiregirl wrote:I didn't like the Host that much because I knew it was written by Stephenie Meyer - I realised that it was a LOT like Twilight, but in a diluted form. It made me think that she writes it based on Twilight almost. I mean, the main caracter (Wanda, Bella) are both portaited as helpless saintly girls. Then, the tension between Jared and Ian was a lot like Edward and Jacob. I would have loved it if I didn't realise that, because for some reason, now I don't feel like it was original. I loved the originality though. It reminded me of Scott Westerfeld - how you always wonder where they got those amazing ideas from.
I thought the same thing at first, but jared, ian, melanie and wanda all got to be with the one they loved at the end of the first book, not 3 books and one vampire hybrid later, like in twilight. Also, ian and jared don't love the same person (like edward and jacob), it just took them a while to realize that.
jlbower79
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by jlbower79 »

i didn't find them the same at all... i mean it's not different then reading Wethering Heights/Pride and Prej./Anne of Green Gables/Midnight Summers Dream.... get the idea? Stories come from other stories... love stories are all the same... in some way. Have you not watched a movie then went to bed and totally replayed it with you and the way you would had done it... sort of the samething.
BUT I totally understand what you're trying to say, though I don't agree I do understand you!! :D
is CRYING over her "Doesn't anyone ♥ ME?" button.
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER *DRIVER*
j'aime twilight
Settled in Forks

Post by j'aime twilight »

The two books are very different, but i have to say i think Twilight is better. The Host was kinda boring in the beginning, but it started to get more interesting when Wanda escaped the Seeker. Twilight was gripping from the beginning, and you just can't put it down! It's also not as complicated as The Host is.
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

i didnt think it was boring in the beginning....i never thought the host boring ever! i loved it....it took me one day to read!!!
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict