Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by Alphie »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

1.Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I think that I would have been reluctant to accept a car from Edward. Like Bella, I do not really like receiving gifts from people because I never feel like I will be able to repay their gift, even though it was coming from Edward...

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

I feel that Charlie had every right to put the posters up. He is very close to the Black family, since he really thought that Jacob had been kidnapped it makes perfect sense to me that he would be going above and beyond the call of duty to find him.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
Charlie reacted better than I thought he would, I knew that he wouldn't tell Edward and Bella that they couldn't get married but I knew that he wouldn't be too thrilled with the idea either. Renee shocked me; I too was nervous for Bella to tell her mom. I mean throughout the series all we hear about is how much Renee objects to early marriages. But I am happy that both Charlie and Renee were happy and supportive of Bella and Edward.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I was not nervous for the wedding, I was so excited! I couldn't have been happier when they finally said "I do." And their wedding just sounded so beautiful and I wished that it was real so that I could have been there. I think I always knew that Jacob would show up at the wedding somehow. I was so happy that he came; because while I am a Team Edward girl, I still really cared about Jacob and I wanted him and Bella to be able to stay friends and have a relationship.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
Mrs. Jasper Hale
Lusting for Blood

Post by Mrs. Jasper Hale »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

No. Giving and driving extravagant cars is what the Cullen's do and if I was going into a family like that I would want to be treated like a member of the family.

That is a hard one. On one hand, if Billy trusted Jake and didn't feel the need than Charlie should have respected that. On the other hand, I'm sure the police chief in Charlie kicked in and automatically thought of all the dangers out there and wanted to protect Jake.

I thought Charlie handled it quite well. It was the way I thought he would react. I was disappointed in Renee's reaction. Just because your daughter is mature and things doesn't mean that you tell her not to get married young and then when she decides to get married young you are totally fine with it. Yeah I know, she just wants her to be happy but I expected more of a motherly reaction.

I wasn't nervous for the wedding. I was totally excited for them to finally get married.

I did think that Jacob was going to show, but I thought it would be more like he objected during the ceremony or soemthing. Not in secret. I liked how he came.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." -Jackson Rathbone on Jasper Hale
ImageImage
Twilight Mafia- Roxy Bengaza
lexii_x33
Settled in Forks

Post by lexii_x33 »

I don't think I would be that reluctant, I mean he has tons of money...but it wouldn't go around asking for things.

I think he was justified to put up posters because it was his best friend's kid, who wouldn't be a little concerned? Especially since Billy didn't act like it was a big deal.

I thought it was funny how Charlie thought Bella was pregnant, and after Edward said that he wanted to do things right Charlie really didn't have an reason not to give them his blessing. I thought Renee was going to FREAK...but I was glad that she didnt try to change Bella's mind.

I wasn't really nervous, I was more excited to see what Alice was going to come up with and to see how Edward would react. I'm glad that Bella didn't throw a fit or anything because that would have ruined it for me. I figured that Jacob would show up, but I was kind of hopping he wouldn't...he wasn't exactly my favorite person lol.
Brella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Brella »

Hecks no! Ok I love getting presents I am so not a Bella! LOL I can totally understand her point of view about feeling an unbalance in their realtionship but at the same time if you love someone you want them to be happy...and if buying you a car is going to make them happy, why say no?
Yes I feel Charlie was justified. Having worked with kids in bad situations you can't always trust what parents tell you. He cared about Jacob and he had no knowledge of what was really going on all he knew is that the boy was missing and nobody was doing a darn thing about it or even seemed to care. I personally think they should of come up with a better cover story.
OME :lol: That was the most hiliarious part. I nearly peed myself laughing at his reaction. "Are you pregnant??" LOL. I think it was pretty standard parental reaction. As for Renee her reaction at first I was not understanding but after some thought it occured to me that she would have known Bella the best and would have known Bella was not making a mistake. Charlie barely knew Bella and so was reacting on emotion where as Renee was reacting on knowledge.
I was nervous for the wedding and didn't think Jacob would show up, well at least not for a good reason. Maybe like one last ditch effort.
~Brella~
Member EDC, INC: Bulldozer Trainee
Edward prefers brunettes...Emmett likes blonds..but for Ian, the beauty of your soul is all that matters!
Skylar=My twin seperated at birth
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

No, i would not have been reluctant exactly. I would've been very happy and felt very loved, but i an see how Bella thinks about the supposedly off-balance issue in their relationship.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. Yeah I thought that was really nice of Charlie. You dont have to have permission or anything to hang up a poster or flier somewhere.

Charlie's reaction was hilarious, and it was a very in-character reaction, too. I didnt like Renee's reaction--I wanted her to blow up and fly down to Forks to beat some sense into Bella.

I was excited that the wedding was finally here, but also nervous cuz i had so many negative situations running through my mind. I was hoping with as much hope as i had that Jake would not show up, but he did, and ended up ruining the whole thing for Bella.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Kinda. It's not something I see myself driving, personally, and I thought it was a little over the top. I can understand the extra protection applied to the car, but the car itself *shakes head*

The Black were like family to Charlie and so I can see what he's doing is to help them. But at the same time I think he should have left it up to Billy whether or not to have the posters put up; it was in Billy's right as a parent to have those put up.

Charlie, he reacted a little like I thought. I knew there would be some sort of change of colour in his face, but the telling Renee part I didn't see coming.
With Renee I was surprised. She had always acted like getting married young was one of the worst things to do imaginable.

I couldn't wait to see them say 'I do', it was the one thing I looked forward to seeing.
I didn't want Jake to show up because I figured he would say something to Bella that would hurt her somehow. He wanted her, and she chose someone else, and I really didn't see a need for him there; even if he was invited, and Bella's best man.
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

I don't think I would have been as reluctant as Bella, especially since it was from my fiance. Like others said, I wouldn't go around asking for new things but I'm not going to object from being given gifts from my fiance =).

To a certain extent yes, he was justified. Being the chief of police and a family friend he had every right to be concerned and willing to help even though we knew that he had no reason to worry.

I was actually really surprised with the both of them. While I didn't think that Charlie would object, I was expecting a little more out of him, but I did think it was funny that he found it amusing the idea of Bella telling her mother. Renee really surprised me. I was expecting support but apprehensiveness at the same time and her trying to do a lot of convincing that of course would not work, but it was a nice change in having her ok with the whole idea and convincing Bella that it was ok.

I was extremely excited for the wedding and I think it was one of my favorite chapters of the entire series (one of many haha). I thought Jacob would show up but I didn't really want him to. I wasn't really surprised when he did just curious to see what would happen.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
LadyViolet
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LadyViolet »

Me personally, i would not feel totally happy with being given that expensive a gift. I don't like people spending loads of money of me if its not necessary so i see why Bella was so reluctant about the car

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left
that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
Considering how close Charlie is to Billy and Jacob i can understand how he would be concerned about Jake going missing but i think it wasn't his responsibility to put up the posters especially when Billy said that he wasn't worried about him because he knew he could take care of himself.

I loved charlie's reaction it was hilarious and soo like him to jump to the wrong conclusion about Bella. i was a little disappointed that we didn't get the suspected "wrath of Renee" but i think Charlie's sense of betrayal because of her acceptance made up for that

i think i was a little cos it had been building up to the wedding for quite a bit of Eclipse so there was quite a bit of tension for everything to go alright. I reckoned Jake would have shown up at some point cos i don't think he would have missed a chance to say goodbye to Bella before she went away and potentially got changed.
*Does crazy dance with vampire penguin*
I'm staying!!!
I'm on The List :D
Jess & Rach - Valek's girls ;)
YouAreMyLifeNow
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by YouAreMyLifeNow »

I would have been a little reluctant at first but i would have probly been ok with it.

I think that because Jake was like a second child to Charlie, he did have a little right to put up posters or do what ever he wanted. I think if Billy said that he knew Jake would be ok, then he should have toned it down a little bit, but i would probly be worried to.

I thought that he would be really mad at Edward and i thought that Renee would be really mad( or something like that) at Bella for not waiting longer to get married. I was surprised how they both acted.

I wasn't really nervous, just excited. I didn't think that Jacob would show up so i was really surprised when he did.( its not hard to surprise me though)
I know i spell bad
Twi Mafia~Sarina Santoro
Twilight lover: Because sometimes fantasy is better than reality