Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by Forever_Twilight »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
I was pretty surprised at how Carlisle tried to starve himself. I mean, he did an amazing transformation from that to being a "doctor" who can control his thirst around the hospital. =) My kind of doctor. ;) lol

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
Honestly, I think Edward's confession seemed reasonable too. I mean, when you mostly desire something, you go after it, right? It's hard to control yourself (in this case, human blood) and I thought it to be reasonable.
The bad human thing, I think that's about right. They're going to end up doing more bad so why not take care of them? Only it would be Edward Style. =)

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
LOL I won't answer now since I already know (I read all books) but at the beginning, I thought he would never get one since Edward was always in Bella's room.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
It's like a weight lifted off of him to have someone to share all these secrets. Carrying so much and to never tell anyone is pressure and, to actually have the chance to tell, it must have been like he was free. =) Poor Edward. .
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
I was more surprised about Carlisle trying to kill himself. The things I had read about him before that suggested that he could handle being a vampire really well. I hadn't even considered that he hadn't always been like that. The fact that vampires were hard to kill was more of a disappointment then a surprise. It just made me a bit sad that humans (Bella) really couldn't defend themselves against vampires.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
I wasn't surprised. I was relieved that he chose the 'bad' ones and especially since he can really know which ones are the extremely sick people in the world. Although it does not justify the actual murders of course. But it helps. Sort of.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
They don't actually need a bed to ... Oh well, I know the answer now but at the time I expected the bed to arrive sooner than it actually did. I thought it would be there in the next book (so in New Moon) but then that didn't happen of course.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
I think it has to do with the fact that he now knows that he's able to be with Bella and not kill her. He's also aware that Bella is truly OK with him being a vampire and they are in 'the one place where he and his family don't have to hide', their house. I think all of these things enable him to be more comfortable.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

the breathing was good to know but not surprising. Carlisle trying to starve himself was understandable because of who he is so is not that surprising. That they are very difficult to kill now that was surprising usually we know that the stake through the heart would do it, so to learn that they are practically indestructible was amazing.

No he is a predator as he said and we all go through stages so I took it from Bella's point of view. The fact that he only killed bad people made it more acceptable but not right. But it was either the bad ones or the innocent people they were hurting I rather the bad ones.

Well I figured that Carlisle and Esme had a bed and so did Alice and Jasper and of course Emmettt and Rosalie Edward was bound to get a bed at some point now that he had a girlfriend not because I knew that Edward would want to try something with Bella I know Edward is a total gentleman (unfortunately*kidding*). But I figured they would need a bed at some point . Other than Bellas of course.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
I think that he feels that he can handle the thirst for her blood and the fact that he is able to be himself and accepted makes a world of difference for him. He has no more secrets and that always makes you feel more light and happy, at least I do. He feels like he can tell Bella everything even though he worries how she might.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? The breathing thing, because Edward always did breathe.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? I could understand it, and I was glad he only killed bad ones and could see his reasoning, but of course I'm glad he turned away from that.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! Ummm, Eclipse is out.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? He knows he can be with her and won't hurt her.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

The fact that he tried to starve himself actually really shocked me.

I thought it was reasonable and I wasn't surprised. After all, it is their food. I liked his choice to only kill "bad" humans.

Well, a while but I know this because I've read all of the other books.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
The fact that they are in love and nothing is going to change and that he can control himself. Up until recently he hasn't really known the extent of Bella's feelings and now that he knows I feel that he's more comfortable. Also, she's very accepting and understanding of everything so he really doesn't have much to worry about.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
xsundaybestx
Settled in Forks

Post by xsundaybestx »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? I think I was most surprised that Carlisle tried to kill himself. Even from the start I was him as a compassionate creature.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? As long as he only killed "bad" humans I really didn't seem to have a problem.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! Elcipse, duh.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? There aren't any more secrets. He finally has someone who will love him no matter what.
Team Vampire.
spunkransom(L)
Settled in Forks

Post by spunkransom(L) »

The thing that i found most suprising was that Carlisle tried to starve himself. I didnt think that a vampire could last that long, being that thirsty. He had so much self control even when he was first changed, whether he knew it or not.

Uhm, I wasnt really suprised about him drinking human blood. Everyone slips up once in a while, and Edward isnt an exception. Honestly I thought that it seemed reasonable what he did, because like what I said everyone slips up. The fact that he only killed "bad" humans made me love him all the more. Even when he was killing people Edward still had a concience. He was a vigilante, because even though what he did was wrong, he was saving more people than killing.

Bahaha. This is answered in Eclipse, and yes Edward does get a bed. ;) :lol:

What changed was how much more at ease he was with Bella. He had become used to the scent of her blood ( as used to it as he could ) and after she found out everything about him, he no longer had to hide anything from her, so he was more at ease and more ready to be himself without thinking about hiding anything.
OnePerCentClub
Wandering Through Town

Post by OnePerCentClub »

That Carlisle tried to starve himself, because he didn't want to be a monster.

It was reasonable. About his choice of only killing bad humans, they probably deseved it and that was better than having them get away with it or be in jail.

I don't know. First, he didn't want to "sleep" with Bella because he could kill her. Then, they spent most of the time in Bella's bedroom, so I thought it wasn't necessary. It all could've been Alice's idea, with the sleepovers.

I don't think anything changed at all, it was just that they were more comfortable around each other because Edward had spoken with the truth and Bella had accepted his nature. He was in peace that Bella hadn't run out telling everyone about their secret and that was worth it.
colinarago
Settled in Forks

Post by colinarago »

i found all of those fact a little bit weird, but none of them surprised me a bit. i saw the no breathing think coming a mile away. The fact that They are heard to kill was no surprise to me. What startled me was that Carlisle had attempted suicide. But, I soppose that anybody as nice as Carlisle really doesn't want to be a vampire. edward and Esme are nice too, bbut it really must have helped to have Carlisle with them when they changed. Overall, I don't blame one it for trying that.

I was surprised.

I don't have an answer to that one

i think that he probably feels more comfortable in his own home (even if it was actually Carlisle's study). And not only that, but when they were in the "whatever that first room is" he was probably tense about what Bella would think of his family and vice versa. he was probably also tense about Rosalie and Jasper being there (BTW, I really hate rosalie)
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-the most suprising to me, was that carlisle tried to starve himself. i wouldve thought that the thirst and the agony of dying so slowly would have forced him to kill someone for their blood.

-no, i was really suprised. i would imagine it would be hard to control yourself so well at first. i think edwards choice to kill only bad humans was better then killing innocent humans. the people he killed probably desverved it.

-hahah, well until i read eclipse, i didnt think edward would get a bed. he didnt really need one because edward told bella they wouldnt be having and intimate relationship.

-i think edward trusts himself more and therefore he allows himself to be more comfortable around bella, because he knows now he wont hurt her.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight