A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by corinnejca »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

I thought they were scary as hell. I was impressed by Laurent however, in that he seems more civilized than the other two nomads. I did think that their red eyes had to do with the fact that they drink human blood rather than animal blood, but I still don't understand why that is. Both types of blood are red, so I don't see why the Cullens have golden eyes.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

I totally got that same impression. Up to that point, it seemed that the book was more character-driven, which I really loved. I love exploring the relationships that people have and the complexities of personalities. It seemed that once we get to this chapter though, the book becomes action-based. Everything gets really fast, and emotions run a lot higher.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?

I wasn't thinking about it at the time, but maybe Alice was talking about making Bella a vampire, right then and there. If Bella was turned into a vampire, she would hold nothing for James anymore. That's exactly what happened to Alice.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?

I think Bella did have the best plan. Edward's plan wasn't well-thought out enough. He was acting in the moment and all he could think of was protecting Bella. He wasn't thinking about protecting Charlie or their reputation. Bella's plan covered those areas a lot better. I think maybe they could have gone somewhere besides Phoenix, because then her mother wouldn't have gotten involved at all. James wouldn't have been able to use her home video tapes as bait. They should have gone to Denali, where more vampires could have helped.
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
I am going to say, not exactly. I knew they were "bad" so I knew the eyes had to do with that, and I guess therefore the killing of humans, but it wasn't the first thing that ocurred to me, I was just very intrigured and nervous about them.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
I guess it did have a different, feel, but in general I attributed it to the company that Bella was keeping. Since she was getting ready to be seperated from Edward pretty much since they declared their love for eachother and she hasn't been without the presence of one of the Cullen's since the baseball game. I guess it kind of is its own subplot, I hadn't thought of that before. It was interesting because all of this time Edward can't really say or do anything to make her fear his vampireness, but James is very scary immediately. Of course.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
Haha, I am pretty dense, of course I know what it is now, but I don't think I caught on at the time. I thought perhaps they were talking about just fighting James right then and there or something, lol.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
I think Bella's plan was good. I don't think I fully understood Edward's plan. It didn't make much sense to me. I didn't think it would be a good idea just for Bella to go back to her house while the Cullens looked for James. That would have surely ended in a confrontation which would expose them in Forks, and endager Charlie and others. I figured that James would find Bella in Phoenix, but I thought it was good to get away from Forks for the whole ordeal. I didn't think that the Cullens would be able to succesffuly intercept James/Victoria before they found Bella. I don't know what they could have done differently.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

As a group they werent really close together. As individuals they each had their own way of dressing. I kind of had a little idea of why their eyes would be red and not the goldish colors like the Cullens.

Yes. I kind of thought it was going to be a lot different with Bella and Edward from here on out. Edward would worry even more than he does.

I wasnt sure what was going on. If Alice was just thinking something that Edward did not agree with at all. I was thinking it had something to do with Bella, and becoming a vampire too. But I wasnt too sure.

I could agree with Bellas plan. She wanted to keep her father safe. And really, thats a really good idea.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
EllaMinnowPee
Settled in Forks

Post by EllaMinnowPee »

Alphie wrote:1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

Didn't Alice say, at one point, that they were just curious? I thought at first they would be Bella's first introduction to vampires who fed off human blood, and their sole purpose in the story would be to serve as a reminder to her, and to the readers, of the true nature of most vampires. I did believe that they would think the Cullen's "vegetarian" lifestyle was curious, and at first I expected them to move on and be mostly forgotten by the characters and the readers. Good thing I didn't write this story, right? I never thought for a moment, at my first impression, that this meeting was the event that would drive the rest of the series.

I did feel the change- a sense of urgency. I read through the rest of the book faster, because of that urgency.

I did think Alice was suggesting they turn Bella. Edward was furious that Alice would even think such a thing. His words warned her and the rest of his family that he would never allow it.

I don't remember Edward's plan- was it just to run away and hide Bella somewhere? Bella was right that that would leave Charlie vulnerable, and then, if for some reason James dropped the hunt, hurt when he realized his daughter was missing. So I guess her plan was better than Edward's. But, they should have at least taken the time to consider both plans, plus come up with more options. Bella is always more concerned about Charlie's safety than her own, but I don't remember her thinking of the sacrifices the Cullens were making to protect her, or that the Cullens might be hurt too.

I did think of something they could have done differently: to be better prepared for this meeting, or any other meeting, to go sour. Alice did give the Cullens advance notice of their visit so they should have had a contingency plan, knowing that her visions aren't always accurate. A situation like this was bound to happen eventually anyway. Once they realized James' intent on killing Bella, they could have just lied. They could have just told them that Bella "belonged" to Edward and that he was going to turn her himself soon. It may have broken James's desire to hunt her immediately and maybe give them time to think of another way to protect Bella and her parents. But then the story would not have been as much fun, would it?
I_love_Bloodsuckers

Post by I_love_Bloodsuckers »

Alphie wrote:1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank? As a group I had to say that I was shocked by their size. I would have imagined a much bigger group, though there has to be tons more nomads out there. Laurent to me, didn't really seem like the bad guy type, James was the main problem here, he was the BAD GUY. And Victoria just seemed like a quiet little follower. The red eyes didn't shock me, I mean, hello, they are vamires right?

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different? Yesh! You can totally sense that we have another plot starting here. Now it's Bella's life on the line, and Edward of course protects her, but I totally had that new plot feeling in me. :D

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? I think Alice meant that they can just turn Bella into a vampire, so James stops wanting to kill her, but of course at this point Edward is not even 50% convinced or positive he was going to end up doing that in Breaking Dawn....

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point? Probably not, I think Bella's plan was pretty good.
-Jen.n
Edward prefers BRUNETTES *Tee-hee*
"How the hell did Mike Newton end up in this conversation?" xP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvHTfza ... re=related
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I gathered from the red eyes that they weren't... vegetarians. As a group, I thought they were much less scary as individuals. I don't really know why. As a group, you can't pin-point certain scary characteristics like you can to an individual. But James was scary (and a little pervy with the whole video camer thing, but I guess we'll get to that), Laurent was scared and spineless, and Victoria was just a big, orange ball of vicious.

Yes, you sense a new plot forming. But it's impossible to miss where the second plot line connects with the first. As in, Bella is in danger from someone who isn't Edward, Edward will go to any lengths to save her and STILL blame himself. :(

At this moment, I really just wanted to slap Edward (not that it would do any good, really). He was so blinded by his need to get Bella out quickly that he couldn't see that what he really needed to do was be effective about it. He was afraid, and that is understandable, but he really just needed to stop and listen for just a moment. I was sure that Alice was thinking that they could just hurry and change her and the problem would be solved... why would James feel a compulsion to hunt another vampire?

I'm on the fence about the whole ordeal.
I do think Bella's idea was really well thought out, to a point. I don't think any of them really listened to Laurent and took into account how cunning James could be. I know this sounds horrible... but I would have let James come, use Bella as bait (sorry) and then ripped him to shreds.

I'm straightforward, what can I say?
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

They scared me, they looked pretty worn, and yeah I caught that they drank human blood.

Oh yeah I thought that as well, it started going by at a much more hurried pace...

Turning Bella because then the hunt would be useless...Edward was stuborn though.

Um I think Edward should have stayed with her, and I don't think Bella's plan was the best but I can't really think of a better one so... :roll:
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
mish241091
Settled in Forks

Post by mish241091 »

Alphie wrote:1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

It was nothing more than I expected, the red eyes I mean. To me, James seemed like a typical vampire, the ones who you hear about all the time, I actually thought he was pretty cool... But creepy at the same time. Victotia is just like the follower, I have to agree. She seemed like the type of person who would do anything for someone like James and I guess I don't really have an opinion on Laurent, it was nice what he did I guess by warning them but uhm... yeah.

Totally, Uptil then it was all about the worry of Edward killing Bella, then upon reaching this chapter it took on a new perspective of what Edward would be like when some else wanted to kill Bella.

I think that the only other option that there could have been would be turning Bella into one of them, hence why it angers Edward so much.

James was a tracker so I think whatever the plan was it would have turned out in a similar way. I think they would have been better off looking for James and killing him like they had planned instead of trying to get James far away from Bella as possible and then killing him, James wasn't stupid (as we see) so overall I think Bella's plan was due to luck and chance...
I can feel what you’re feeling now — and you are worth it. - Jasper Hale

Who’s afraid of the big, bad wolf? - Jacob Black
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

I thought them as a group would be more dangerous to anything than just an individual. Guess it really didn't matter! lol
As to their eye color, I thought red meant they were beyond just a simple thirst; like a deep hunger.

I got the same! =)

He's totally concerned for Bella and, seems at the moment, like Edward just wants to rip James apart! Though he still needed to think of her and put Bella's safety first before his anger. I had no idea what the other idea was but I thought it would involve Edward taking Bella somewhere; not separating them! =/

I think Bella's plan was good, if she hadn't of fallen in James plan! Though, I have to admit, Edward saving Bella was pretty awesome since he got to taste her blood and test his strength. (Which he really needed to do)
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

I was worried. I figured the whole group would cause a huge problem. But later I realized James was the biggest villian. Haha. And I thought the red eyes was just the thirst.

I got the same impression.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? Alice is saying they could change Bella into a vampire. And of course Edward gets mad because thats the last thing he wants.

I'm not really sure what the best idea was. I mean Bella made sure to get her dad out of harms way which was a good choice. But James would have found them no matter what. They should have waited for him and tore him to shreds. It would have made it quicker.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)