General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Massacre
Settled in Forks

Re: The Twilight Saga Book Covers

Post by Massacre »

Twilight- Apples are the forbidden fruit, and Edward is of course 'forbidden' in this part of the series.

New Moon-I think it kind of represents Bella's life, with the red petal being her heart being- not literally- ripped out. Everything seems perfect on the outside of the flower, but nothing is right on the inside.

Eclipse- Ribbon represents Bella breaking off from her old, human- filled life and going more and more into the vampire- and werewolf- world. Two strings that hold it together represent human connections... I guess Charlie And Renee? or maybe Jacob?

Breaking Dawn- the white king piece represents Edward and the red pawn represents Bella when she's a bloodthirsty vampire.

Those are my interpretations of the covers. Oh, and the puzzle piece for the Twilight Official Guide- well, Twilight's a bit of a puzzle in itself...

OK, OK, I'm rambling. I do love all the covers though, in all their beauty, and especially the hidden meanings. I especially love the BD one. :)
Team Switzerland;; because Jasper's in my head
<3 Jacob Black
<3 Edward Cullen

"Freaky Bella."
amandaxcullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by amandaxcullen »

Twilight -Choice. The 'forbbiden fruit' which obviously represents Edward

New Moon - the flower is limping like it's dying or as I like to think, in pain (shut up, i know flowers can't feel pain) and Bella goes on about how this 'hole' in her is eating her appart and whatever and when Edward left she was just limp, she was just... there... nothing and she was just dying on the inside, she was soo miserable.

Eclipse -I think it's representing Bella and how she's 'torn' to choose between Edward and Jacob. Also, the King Solomon story Jacob tells how he's not going to 'tear her in half anymore'. And how no matter who she chooses, someone's heart is going to be 'torn'.

Breaking Dawn -I personally think it's Bella as the Queen because she saves the day at the end and in chess, the queen is your most valuable player and the pawn represents Renesmee because she's the smaller one, not necessarily 'weaker' but Bella, or 'the queen' has to make sure she is safe and protect her.

I think I like my Eclipse theory the best..?
I tried to encorperate all of them with visuals to the cover as much as possible, hope this helps!
Team Jacob!
Because a space heater has more potential than a rock.
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

Twilight-The forbbiden apple, meaning that Bella was forbbiden for Edward but they still fell for eachother.
New Moon-The petal falling from the flower, meaning kind of that Bella was falling apart
eclipse-the ripping ribbon, meaning that Bella was ready to break the bond with Jacob to make her bond stronger with Edward
Breaking Dawn-The white queen was probably bella as a vampire becasue she stands out. The red pawn was probably Renesmee becasue she was a very vital part of Bella :D
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

Ok here's my interpretation but beware: I'm not very philosphical or original with my imagination:

Twilight: The forbidden fruit - almost as if Edward is holding the apple saying: "come and take it..it's forbidden..but it's the sweetest.." (yeah I'm weird)
New Moon: At the end of Twilight, Bella had finally found her happiness and sprouted as a beautiful "flower" but then Edward leaves and then she wilts and starts to die (metaphorically) - the petal/drop of blood.
Eclipse: Bella is torn between her love for Edward and Jacob and knows she has to "cut her ties" but is unable to completely let go of Jacob (hence why its still joined - just) and as a result she pushes Jake away - hurting him more.
Breaking Dawn: I am not really sure what this one means. But I think the white, strong Queen in the front definitely represents Bella as a vampire, but then I'm not sure what the little red pawn is..

I love how simple yet effective all the covers are. Like you see all these books with lots of fancy scenes and pictures all over them, and sometimes they're too much - too overpowering, but these just sit there: black with a simple meaning filled picture that tells us a story about the books.
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
squeakmouse25
Wandering Through Town

Post by squeakmouse25 »

Twilight- forbidden fruit. Oh, and did you guys notice that in the movie trailer and the exclusive cafeteria scene, an apple bounces off the floor and edward catches it, it looks exactly like the cover. so cool
Breaking Dawn- SM said that both the pawn and the queen represent Bella. She starts as the pawn, (weak) and ends up the strongest, the queen.
--Squeakmouse--
bella_love3
Learning to Love Green

Post by bella_love3 »

Cegi wrote:Hi all,

I love your interpretations for the book covers.

For the New Moon cover it turns out that (according to proflowers.com) the meaning of tulips is perfect love and red tulips are most strongly associated with true love. White tulips are used to claim worthiness or to send a message of forgiveness. So it makes sense that Bella, who is deeply in love with Edward but is left by him has both her love and worthiness of Edward brought into question (thus the fading red and white tulip). It also fits well with the symbolism of her heart that was earlier discussed.

What do you think?

i think thats a really good interpretation and it makes a lot of sense. i would have never thought to have looked up the colors and meanings... good job!
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

Twilight-the forbidden fruit Edward is forbidden to Bella and vice versa

New Moon-i have no clue but what I think it is is that the flower is a methaphor for Bella, it's drooping, but it's still there for everyone

Eclipse-i think this has to do with Bella and Jacob's relationship. Eclipse is where the "love" relationship breaks sort of

Breaking Dawn-Bella went from being the weakest (pawn) to the strongest (queen)
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

I like the meaning of Eclipse, 'no clean break from her first life'

Can I just say, aside from the stories themselves, the cover art is just...beautiful!?
ImageImage
E<3B
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

bella_love3 wrote:

For the New Moon cover it turns out that (according to proflowers.com) the meaning of tulips is perfect love and red tulips are most strongly associated with true love. White tulips are used to claim worthiness or to send a message of forgiveness. So it makes sense that Bella, who is deeply in love with Edward but is left by him has both her love and worthiness of Edward brought into question (thus the fading red and white tulip). It also fits well with the symbolism of her heart that was earlier discussed.

What do you think?
Wow this interpretation is amazing! I think that I like it better than anything that I have heard so far!

So here are my interpretations for the other three covers...

Twilight: Obviously the apple represents the forbidden fruit. Therefore, Edward equals the forbidden fruit to Bella.

Eclipse: Represents Bella's two lives and the splitting of them. It shows that the splitting of her human life to a vampire life will not be as easy and pain free as she thought.

Breaking Dawn:
I don't really understand chess so I am just going to go along with Stephenie Meyer's explanation for this one!

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
E&BForever
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by E&BForever »

ThisStoryOfLove wrote:
bella_love3 wrote:

What do you think?
Wow this interpretation is amazing! I think that I like it better than anything that I have heard so far!

So here are my interpretations for the other three covers...

Twilight: Obviously the apple represents the forbidden fruit. Therefore, Edward equals the forbidden fruit to Bella.

Eclipse: Represents Bella's two lives and the splitting of them. It shows that the splitting of her human life to a vampire life will not be as easy and pain free as she thought.

Breaking Dawn:
I don't really understand chess so I am just going to go along with Stephenie Meyer's explanation for this one!
Loooove all the covers!!! :D BTW also love your save MS pic! I heard rumors that she defintly IS going to finish it. I'm hoping they are true!
Chantell
"You are my life now."-Edward to Bella.
Edward&Bella: Feel the passion, the love, the devotion.Image
Team Edward for life!
No man is perfect, but Edward Cullen comes close!