A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
I wasn't surprised, I expected her to act that way.
Edward was her first love, I think most of us act that way to a certain extent. When you've been in a relationship with someone you truly loved and then you get dumped like that without warning, it's going to do some serious damage to you. And with that being her first love I expected it to be harder for her to get over it.
It made me feel really sad for Bella because I honestly didn't know how she was going to get over it. I think I prayed and hoped so much reading that Edward would come back just so she didn't have to suffer like that.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
NO !
I didn't think it would help going back with her mom, I really didn't see how it would.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
She picked Jess because she talks a lot, I believe Bella stated that.
I don't think it was, I think she should have picked Angela ... I've always felt that Angela could have been a really good friend to Bella. I don't think her picking Jess helped Bella&Jesse's relationship. I don't think Jessica cared much about her feelings, I thought it was a little odd how she never really tried talking to Bella about it, that to me showed how much Jessica wasn't really a good friend to Bella. :roll:

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
I thought she was hearing his voice, I thought he stayed in Forks and hid out and just followed her around to make sure she wouldn't get hurt.
It was natural Bella behavior, she felt like she had nothing to live for, all she wanted was to be with Edward and he left her. Hearing the voices, I think they helped her survive. It was like he was there, but he wasn't ...she had some part of him still with her.
ClaudiaCullen
Learning to Love Green

Post by ClaudiaCullen »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?Not really at to how she felt but more surprised at how well and emotionally SM described it. Every time i read the beginning of ch4 i think back to when my lil sister passed away.. i felt just like that its terrible.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? I saw where he was coming from but no that wouldn't of been a good choice. Being far would've driven her into more insanity.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
She chose jess cause she's more oblivious and self centered. Angela noticed too much and wouldn't of fallen as easy for her acts. Jess was a terrible choice though because shes a ding dong the witch is dead which old witch the wicked witch.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
I did think it was really his voice then i noticed it wasn't after i reread the part over. I think thats the point where you see that love really does make us crazy and that if he knew all of these things he woulda came back sooneerr.
3 perfect men
IAN O'SHEA
EDWARD ANTHONY MASEN CULLEN AND JASPER HALE <333
StarEmerson
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by StarEmerson »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?

It did not surprise me at all, if you have been through a bad break up you can understand that feeling. I have only felt a fraction of that though. I have been able to get over it! Bt this was her life. It was everything, and she is a teenage girl! How awful she would have felt :cry:

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?

From Charilies point of view I can agree, totally. When you see someone hurting like that, you know they have to change their scenery. I have seen friends etc go through it. Like Charlie said "You're not the first person to go through this, you know?"

Fro Bella p.o.v I can see why she wanted to stay. Sucker for punishment.

She chose Jess because she is selfish. She never asked how Bella was or anything, but thats what Bella wanted. To not talk about it. Ugh, What a horrible "friend" Jess is. It was painfully obvious Bella was going through hell, but instead of comforting her or trying to get through to her Jess gave up. They had NO relationship after that night at the cinema.

I did think at first, "Hang on, it's him!!" He has a phsycic connection somehow.... I soon forgot about that idea though! :roll:
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"

ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

No, not really though it did make me want to cry. some ways i was glad, which totally sounds mean, not that Edward had left but that she had spent her time in a lifeless form i really didn't want her to move on from Edward. that was a painful part even for me.

No not at all like i stated. I didn't want her to move on from Edward.

well i understand why Bella chose Jess, Because Bella didn't really want to be normal she just wanted Charlie to get off her back and jess would gab the entire time so Bella wouldn't have to think about anything. it hurt it because Bella got side tracked. personly i would have wanted Angela but she is more observant so.

To be honest i did think it was Edward i wanted her to turn around and find Edward standing there. but that made it that much harder.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I felt sorry. Sorry for her, sorry for Charlie, sorry for her friends at school. I wasn't surprised, I was just so, so sorry.

No, absolutely not. She was in no place in her life to be taking care of Renee again! I thought it was ridiculous and I'm glad she refused.

I think she chose Jess because Jess is quite the talker. She just goes and goes and goes with no need for any kind of response. And she is not observant enough to realize what kind of state Bella is in. I think, honestly, at first she was a fine choice (even though I hate her to my very core). Of course, their friendship was ruined after, but at first it was fine.

At first, I really did! I was like, "well, there's a trick!" But then I quickly realized how silly that was. I was torn about what she was doing to hear it again... I understood that she loved him, missed him, and needed those voices more than anything... but I couldn't condone her breaking her promise to him (even though his was undoubtedly broken as soon as he made it).
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

Sad, honestly I could see what she was talking about though after your heart is broken and I mean truly broken that is how life seems for you for awhile.

No she needed to stay and work it out there

Because Jessica is a witch and a twit who nly likes to talk and think about herself, she wouldn't really care about Bella too much, and I think Jessica was hurt because Bella didn't care about Jess either, she thought Bella should be greatful to have her to hang out with and she wasn't, I personally think Bella should've gone with Angela just because Angela is a bit more understand and maybe could've talked to her about it.

Oh I knew it was all in her head, but I hoped..I dunno wishful thinking I was hoping he wouldn't leave for so long!
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

I wasn't surprised. Edward made her life so full of excitement and beautiful. Without him, I kinda expected her to go downhill and I wouldn't blame her one bit. Anyone who loses someone they truly love always goes into a type of "withdraws" and that's exactly how Bella reacted.
My feelings? It was like I was Bella and all her emotions were mine. It was strange but, I was glad at the ending. =)

No, because I always had thoughts of that Edward would return. If he didn't, on the other hand, she would have Jacob, the guy who had been her best friend. =) With her mom, Bella would have to start all over again and that would send her into more turmoil.

It was not a good choice, let me voice that out. I would of preferred Mike or Angela before Jessica. =P Maybe she choose Jessica because she would have a lot more things in mind to do. Their relationship wasn't very strong in the first place so I just think this proved that it wasn't really a good friendship.

I actually thought it was Edward! I keep screaming in my head that it had to be him and he had been keeping an eye on Bella when she didn't know it. Though that isn't the case, I think it calmed Bella of her broken heart to hear his voice and endangered her life just to ease that pain. Edward was her life and now she had to live without it. . =(
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Yes, I was surprised, because I thought, like Edward and Alice (I realize now that was stupid of me), that she would be OK and get over him. I was miserable for her and mad at Edward for doing this to her

If Edward decided to come back to her, he might not go to Jacksonville to see how she was doing, because he'd expect her in Forks.

Her other friends (Angela, basically) are more observant than Jessica is. No, I didn't like her going with Jessica, Angela might have been able to keep her out of trouble more easily. That was the wrecking ball to their friendship, until graduation.

I thought it was just in her head because if he'd known she was putting herself in so much danger talking to those guys he would have come back.
FoundMyEdward0510
Settled in Forks

Post by FoundMyEdward0510 »

I was not suprised at all. It made sense to me. I've been there done that. Edward completed her. Once he was gone she wasn't herself anymore. I knew she would keep her promise though. There was nothing she wouldn't do for him. Even if he did tear her up.

Absolutly not. I understood that he just wanted to help, but trying to make her go, was just a BAD move. She needed to hold on to what little she had left of him. Whether he meant to or she was doing it subconsciously or not, if he had never came back, she would have have lived everyday of her life in Forks. I mean, Charlie never moved because he wanted to hold onto those few memories of his life with Renee, right?

Jess can have a conversation with herself, so she was an easy choice. I think she was a good choice, if she hadn't heard his voice. I knew they would never be friends again. Jess was so shallow that she could never feel what Bella felt. Her heart isn't capable of such intense feelings of love.

I thought it was him in the bushes hiding. Or that he would come save her if it had really been them. I thought it made total sense. I would've done it. Without hesitation.
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

No I wasn't I understood exactly where she was coming from. Life is just passing by and you can't even stop to notice it because if you stop you will think and that's exactly what you try to avoid. I couldn't stop crying throughout this whole chapter just like The End chapter. I was so sad it was like I was experiencing the same thing I spent most of the time that I wasn't reading sad and depressed.

No I did not agree with Charlie, It's exactly as Bella said if she left Forks it would be as if he had been a dream. And that is even worse because than you don't even have the memories of the wonderful/unforgetable time you did live and experince and that would be worse. At least for me. I had never given a thought to that saying Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all! it makes perfect sense to me now, and I'm sure Bella would agree.

Because Jess is self centered and self absorbed, so she could be easily deflected by something that relates to her. Yes because she didn't have any other girlfriends to go out with other than Jessica and Angela and Angela would have talked to Bella on a more Personal/caring level and Bella couldn't afford to be reminded of him. I think that since the Cullens left Jessica became less interested in Bella's friendship, and she probably called in the begining to find out the dirt on what had happened. But she was never a true friend so their relationship was headed that way anyway.

I really thought that it was his voice warning her, here again I broke down. I think that it was wreckless and imature but I'm sorry to say that I would do the same thing just to hear his voice with that concern and care. To hear in his voice the concern for me like he cared and had never stoped caring.
Last edited by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!