Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
esmecullen740
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by esmecullen740 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
Yes i think that itiw reluctant to accept a gift of a new car. I think that if I would reciece a gift like that,not less an expensive one, I don't know how to give back because i don't have that kinds of stuff, even from edward.
2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
I think that Charlie was doing the right thing. It wasn't like he was putting wanted poster or anything. He was just trying to help out.But i really think he should have ask billy first though.
3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
My thought was that was very weird. Charlie is understandable because Charlie was hoping for renee to be mad at bella. But renne action was very confusing and weird. I guess she get it from the fact that bella is like an adult. But still, that was very weird.
4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
Yeah I was very nervous and excited. I was like finally the thing is on.We all know that it would happen but never known when. I really thought that jacob wouldn't show up considering he was like in Canada or something. That part was shocking.
sarahp
Settled in Forks

Post by sarahp »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

I think Edward had the right to give Bella the car-- his protectiveness got the best of him.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

It seemed Billy was not taking the first step to look for his son-- I think he said he'll come back when/if he wants to.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

I was seriously expecting both parents to go mad with the engagement news. Charlie does not really like Edward yet he is warming up to him, and Renee's reaction I was expecting more of a 'no' considering her past-- she did not want her daughter to make the same mistake.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

I was pleasantly surprised for the wedding probably b/c of the after events to take place. I didn't think he was going to show and when Edward said he had a surprise for Bella I held me breath.
I was a vampire, and she had the sweetest blood I’d smelled in eighty years.

"No!" I protested. "What?" Edward whispered. "Wait til he hangs his gun up!"
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

I defintely would have been. That car is crazy! So expensive &extravagant. But it made me laugh when I was reading about it. It's such an Edward overreaction thing to do.

I think he was. Considering he's been such a close friend of the Blacks he would have been worried about Jacob. Also I think it might have been worse due to Billy's lack of concern.

I was extremely surprised at both Charlie's and Renee's reaction. I was scared for Bella while reading it! I thought for sure when Edward basically said this is the way it is Charlie, we're getting married he would blow up & say oh no you're not! (But his jumping to conclusions about Bella being pregnant was pretty funny considering we all knew there was no way!) Also w/Renee I was very surprised, I did not expect her to be so cool.
I wasn't necesarily nervous for the wedding, I was more excited! I thought it was about time! I was a little scared that Jacob would show up & do something to ruin the ceremony. He came & ruined the reception though, & I guess that's better than the ceremony.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
amandaxcullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by amandaxcullen »

I would've acted like Bella, I would've thought it was a little over the top with missle-proof glass. (which also made me 'lol')

I think what he did was right, the Blacks' and the Swans' are like family and they look out for each other.

I thought it was great! I 'lol'ed through the whole part of them telling Charlie. And I was way surprised on how Renee reacted, (or lack of reaction.)

I cried in the wedding, I'm a freak, I know. It played in my head so great. As for the Jacob thing, I didn't think he would show up which was breaking my heart but I was soooo happy that he did.
Team Jacob!
Because a space heater has more potential than a rock.
Davnee
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Davnee »

I wouldn't have been, but knowing Bella and how keyed up she gets whenever someone tries to give her something, I can understand her reservations about having the car. You know she did it to please Edward because it would ease his mind that she was safe. But I do miss the truck.

He was acting as police chief and worried friend. I can understand why he put the posters up and I can understand Billy's fears about it but either way, what's done is done. It didn't change the fact that Jacob left.

Charlie's been fairly calm and deadpan throughout the stories and while I did expect him to finally unleash his wrath, I wasn't surprised by how he handled it. I did get a kick out of how it suddenly occurred to him that Renee would flip out about the marriage and how amused he was by that idea. Then Renee's reaction. So surprising and out of character since she seems to be a rather flighty and non-committing person. I guess in the end she just wants what's best for her Bella no matter what. Like any mom, I guess.

Totally and utterly nervous. I held my breath reading the whole thing. I was surprised to see the wedding actually happen. Meyer has a great way of letting the suspense hang high over your head, leaving you completely unsure of when it's all going to crash down on you. Brilliant.

Question: Are the other chapters not yet being discussed for some reason? WiIl there be more discussion added soon?
heartofmp*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by heartofmp* »

No, Probably not, I would have been all "Aw..you really shouldn't have" a few times, but all the while thinking "Yay,this is for mee?"

I think he was justified, he knew Jacob ever since he was little, so why not? Charlie didn't have any clue what was really going on, he was only worried about Jacob.
I loved how Charlie started laughing and said "You have to tell Renee!!" (don't have my book with me so I don't really know the quote lol) Renee's reaction really surprised me; I expected her to be more reluctant to the engagement.

Ohh yeah, I don't really know why I got so into it but I did. I was a little worried when Jacob showed up, but I didn't expect it at all. (when I look back on it though, I guess the way Billy was acting should have given it up, but I didn't see it lol)
Sturpherz
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sturpherz »

I want you to say the question out loud on more time…
Well, I wish I could say I was that dumb. But No! :lol: If my boyfriend/soul mate wanted to give me a gift such as a new car or any thing else for that matter… I would not complain.

I don’t think Charlie was putting up the posters because he was the Chief of police. I think he did it because he cared about Jacob. You have to remember that Charlie did not know about Jacob or the world he lived in, so he thought of Jacob as just a kid…a kid he did watch grow up. I think he did what any normal parent or parent figure would have done.

Well, I think that Charlie and Renee reacted the way they were meant to react.
You have Charlie, a father who does not want to face the fact that his baby girl is all grow up and Renee, a mother who understands who he daughter better than people give her credit for and has seen how true her daughter and Edwards love is.

When Jacobs’s father was beaming with happiness, and Bella thought it was just because the pack and the Cullen’s worked out there differences... I kind of figured she was way off and that Jacob was on his way.
"The most important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become..."
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

Yes, I know that it owuld be for my saftey but I wouldn't be willing to accept a gift like that.

I don't think that Charlie should be putting up posters. Billy wasn't worried about him, so Charlie shouldn't have done that.

I thought that he could have taken it more seriously. He just laughed and told Bella the she had to tell her mother. And Renee, she reacted like any mother would. She was excited for her daughter.

I was worried that something was going to go wrong. That's it. I was really hoping that Jacob would crash the wedding. I wanted him so really show Bella how much he really cares for her. I was very surprised and excited when I read that Jacob did show up, I just think that he showed up at the wrong time.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

1) It would have been hard. It seems too much, but if knowing I was marrying him and I could get over it and enjoy the gift because it would be like a gift to him in how I receive his gift. Make sense?

2)He should have backed down. If Billy was not troubled, he sould have gone by Billy's wishes. Charlie, I feel, had ulterior motives - he still had issues with Edward and Jacob was the perfect conflict for that.

3) It was a hoot on how reversed everything was. I am glad that Renee' came clean with Bella on her true feelings and was actually thrilled with it all. Charlie, I just found annoying.

4)Yes and no. I wondered if Jacob would cause a stir, but with Seth there, I felt that he possibly would tone it down if he showed up - which he did until he get all tore up over the 'real honeymoon' comment from Bella.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
vamps4evr
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by vamps4evr »

um, yes!! I am a lot like Bella - i hate people to give me things, I don't know why....but yes I would feel JUST like Bella..

Absolutly I would - he doesn't know..I think Billy should have acted a little worried, just since its part of the "game" of not letting others know!

I found it funny!! and true - usually what you are most afraid of isn't half as bad!! I did love that Charlie thought he was off the hook that bella would get H*!! from Renee and she didn't!! I laughed at that!! I do love that Stephenie added the its you life..and not mine!! but then im a mom...so I get that now! Im gonna remember that when my daughter is 16!

I knew he would..it was just so....JACOB!! and not a shock he got all mouthy and then bella stuck her foot into her mouth!! although it *IS* none of his business!! I was a bit nervous - but again i knew no one would let anything bad happen!