Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
MyHusbandIsMyEdward
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Temper

Post by MyHusbandIsMyEdward »

Maybe I was slow the first time I read Eclipse, but I'm reading it through a second time and just realized at the beginning of this chapter when Jacob tells Bella that Quil's imprinted, and then..."He frowned, and then turned to stare at me. He gazed into my eyes without speaking, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration." pg 173 that Jacob was trying to force himself to imprint on Bella....hahahaha!!! That's so funny!
"'I can't explain it right...but he's even more unbelievable behind the face.' The vampire who wanted to be good -- who ran around saving people's lives so he wouldn't be a monster..." -Twilight
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1. Now that we know more of the pack have imprinted, did you think Jacob would find someone to imprint on before you read Breaking Dawn?
I wanted him to! But not on Bella of course. I worried a little that he might imprint on Bella, but then when I read Stephenie's Q&A it said imprinting happening right after the transformation, so I saw that it couldn't be Bella. I disagreed with Jacob that even if he imprinted he would only see her. I thought it would be good if he had someone to give his devotion to, Jacob is so intense with his emotions! I loved the way he described imprinting in this chapter, it totally melted my heart. It is one of my favorite parts of the whole series.

2. What about Jacob’s comment about all the legends being true, what other legends might there be?
Gosh, I didn't even think of that. I just thought he was referring to all the legends that have been true that we already know about and have learned through the last two books and this one. Now that I think about it, it could be foreshadowing for the Legends chapter and the 3rd wife story!

3. Did Jacob’s reaction to Bella’s revelation about being changed surprise you? How would you have reacted if you were Jacob?
It did a litlte bit because it seemed like he was doing okay controlling his feelings around Bella regarding the issue. I think the more Jacob has time to think things through the better off he is. Like I said, his emotions are so intense. So if something catches him by surprise, he really seems to have no control over them or their intensity. I think I would have reacted the same had I been thinking the whole time that I was going to have a few more years with Bella and I find out it is only going to be a few weeks. Jacob definitely isn't ready to let go yet, and has not prepared himself for this.

4. Some have accused Edward for teasing Bella by buying the bed. Do you think Edward was wrong to have bought the bed given the fact that he can't sleep, nor does he intend to ever be with Bella in a more intimate way?
Um, I think Edward was teasing ME! Haha. I think he was honestly trying to make things nicer for her, he seems to have felt a little bad about kidnapping her and having Alice hold her hostage. I also think that even though he is trying very hard to have restraint with Bella and doesn't intend to sleep with her, that human part of him is definitely perking up, haha. I think that maybe the bed was in some part, probably subconsciously motivated by that. I don't think it was wrong, but I could see how it was irritating to Bella. And I think he truly does want her to be comfortable when she is there.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

1. Now that we know more of the pack have imprinted, did you think Jacob would find someone to imprint on before you read Breaking Dawn?

I had always hoped, I had thought that imprinting was supposed to be rare but now I think Jacob may have just said that to try and keep Bella.

2. What about Jacob’s comment about all the legends being true, what other legends might there be?

I think he probably heard one about a half vamp/human baby who kills it's mother during birth...those ones are actually quite common and it explains the freak out during Breaking Dawn.

3. Did Jacob’s reaction to Bella’s revelation about being changed surprise you? How would you have reacted if you were Jacob?

It didn't, Jacob is biased and hated Edward for hurting Bella so bad in New Moon and doesn't fully understand why she has forgiven him so completely. Me if I were Jacob huh?....well, I definitly wouldn't have said the I'd rather see you dead thing...

4. Some have accused Edward for teasing Bella by buying the bed. Do you think Edward was wrong to have bought the bed given the fact that he can't sleep, nor does he intend to ever be with Bella in a more intimate way?

I don't think he bought the bed to tease her, he did however totally tease her IN the bed.... TWICE! Poor girl... I think he did eventually have plans for that bed in a more intimate way but after she was changed because I think he was seeing it as unavoidable at this point it was just a matter of when. BTW hands down this was the HOTTEST scene in all the books... :oops:
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

I thought Jacob was lying to her about not imprinting. Naturally, I thought he had imprinted on Bella, or at least he thought he had. Then Stephanie went and revealed that he had tried to imprint on her down at the beach... I felt so, so bad for him. Man. :(

I can't even begin to fathom the possibilities.

No, it didn't surprise me. It was perfectly natural for him to react that way. I was a little scared for her, though, which I'm a tiny bit ashamed of. If I were Jacob, I would have done the same. Plus cried (I cry a lot. I'm one of THOSE people).

I think the bed was a really grand gesture. I was glad Edward got it. He knew she sleeps, so he got her a bed. I didn't see the big deal until I realized that, oh yeah, Bella wants more out of it than just sleep. But no I don't think he was wrong.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Davnee
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Davnee »

I did but I'm sure it will come up sooner or later. The fact that he has feelings for Bella but it's pretty clear that he has not imprinted - well now it's just a matter of Jacob clearly understanding that Bella is not the one for him. I don't think that will sink in until he does imprint.

Nothing in particular...in this book at least. But I'm sure it wasn't brought up for nothing. It has to turn up sooner or later.

I think Jacob lives in denial most of the time where Bella is concerned because he wants to believe that there could be some sort of a future for them. I was surprised that he was surprised be her revealing that her change would be coming soon. I expected him to react with anger of course. It's clear that he still has ways to go in terms of controlling his emotions. Which sort of scares me - I hope Bella keeps a bit of distance. Maybe just phone calls? :D

I don't think he's teasing her. I think he wants his home to feel like hers. Buying a bed is a human thing for him to do but maybe there is a small part of him that's playing the wishful thinking angle and hoping that one day they could have more. His control does seem to be improving with each book.
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

I already know who he is going to imprint in Breaking Dawn because I got impatient and read the spoilers.

I don't know. Stephanie Meyers doesn't use the common legends that we all know (werewolfs howl at the moon, werewolfs changed only in a full moon,vampire have fangs, vampires can't walk in the sunlight without being on fire) and the common legends that she does use, she put her own twist on them (vampire sparkle in the sunlight, werewolfs can age when they are in control of phrasing).

Yeah it did. I knew that he would be upset but I didn't expect him to go to the point where he was about to phrase. I thought that he was going to hurt her and prove Edward right that he is dangerous. At this point of the story, I started to rethink how safe Bella really is around Jacob. She never upsetted Jacob this badly in New Moon, and that fact is that next time he gets like this, Bella may not be so lucky. I was really shocked that he told her that he would rather have her dead than a vampire. Then again, to him I don't know what would be worse. To have Bella around but hate her for being a 'souless' vampire or to know that she is dead and grieve because she is never coming back?

If my friend told me this, than I would be upset but I'd would also try to be more undersatanding.

Buying the bed for Bella wasn't a tease at all. What upset me is that he did something completely out of character to Bella and acted like he wanted to have sex. I didn't see the point as to why he had to make a point of "we can't do this on the couch so you should sleep here".
Last edited by twilightapple on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I hoped, but I wasn't sure.

Depends on what else Stephenie Meyer can come up with. ;)

Yes. I would have tried to keep my temper more.

No, I don't think he was wrong to buy the bed, I just think he shouldn't have led her on by kissing her like that.
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

I was hoping that he would so that Bella could stop feeling so guilty for choosing Edward; and I wanted Jacob to have his happy ending.

I have no idea, but I was wondering about this comment forever!

I am not sure how I would have reacted!

No, I think that Edward honestly thought that he was doing Bella a favor by giving her a comfortable place to sleep while she was there, whether she was there with Alice or will himself.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

I didn't think Jacob would ever imprint, but i did believe he would find someone he could love.

i don't know what other legend there might be

His reaction did surprise me, he knew the change was coming, if i were jacob, i would have just tried to get Bella to wait a little while longer.

No, Edward got the bed for Bella so she would be comfortable when she stayed with him at his house.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
Celestial_Topaz
Wandering Through Town

Post by Celestial_Topaz »

No, I never thought Jacob would ever imprint.

I'm not sure about that one.

It didn't surprise me at all. Jacob hates vampires and hates the fact that Edward was going to change Bella into one. I would have been upset but would have controled my temper more.

No, he got the bed for Bella so she would be more comfortable about the prospect of being kidnapped and also for her to sleep better.