Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Declaration

Post by Riddalyn »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
I'm not sure. I think probably she would have gotten uncomfortable and left, really. I think that Jacob would have eventually found a way to kiss her, anyway, and he still would have told her that he loves her. I think it all would have happened, but just at different times.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
I think so. It's a hugely romantic gesture, I think. I mean, for them to be bound in such an absolute way is amazing.

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to?
Just how she's been raised and the way society views young marriage. Of course, I can't relate. Where I live, if you're not married by 20 you're practically an old maid.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
I think it shows how people change... but are still the same. Jacob will always be Jake, deep down inside, but sometimes he is that wolf Jacob that we all have a little trouble liking. I think Stephanie highlighted it because it's important to Bella, and it is her story after all.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
A little, yeah. I never thought she would condone that sort of thing.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ChristinasHeadache »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
I realize that SM had to keep Jacob in the story or they would have been very short books indeed. Without controversy they would also have been very lame books. That being said, Bella pisses me off with her insistence on hanging around with Jacob KNOWING Jacob was in love with her because he said it maybe in not so many words but she knew all throughout NM that he wanted more from her. She used him, and cast him out and then abused him later for her own self gratifying ways. I love Jacob... but I don't love Jacob and Bella.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
This was the only thing in the entire series that annoyed me. I understand SM is religious, but I am not. To me, Edward was unrealistic about her immortal soul, but that's because I don't believe we have an immortal soul. To answer the question, Edward wanted her, but didn't want to take away her soul. He loved her, and wanted to marry her, so he agreed to do it to get her to marry him. All in all though, he didn't WANT her changed at all.

Ambivalence is hard to explain. It's like feeling both sides at the same time. I do not believe she was ambivalent at all. She was dead set against it because of her upbringing. Which personally I also thought was ridiculous. I was the kind of girl that knew at 14 I wanted to get married to someone I loved and have lots of babies. This had nothing to do with my parents or society, it was my heart's desire to be loved, and to love. Bella is a strange girl lol.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
I suppose SM did it because she wanted to have that tiniest bit of annoyance with Jacob so that the only logical choice for Bella would be Edward. Edward doesn't annoy Bella like Jacob tends to.

5. Is it shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
Not to me. Bella was always fretting over the people she cared about being hurt in the process of trying to save her. Especially Edward, love makes you do, say, and want things that you normally would not do, say or want.
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia

Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Maybe, maybe not. Edward said after their second kiss that he intended to kiss her whether she asked him or not. How do we know it wouldn't have been the same way with their first?

I don't know.

No idea.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I'm really sure. I think that she might have realized sooner or later how pain she was causing Jake, but I really don't know.

Yeah, I think that he definalty wants to be the one to do it.

She doesn't want to get married at such a young age, 18. People in this day and age dont get married that early.

I think that she wants to show use that Jacob has really changed and Bella doesn't realize why.

5. Is it shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?

I'm not sure.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

No Jacob would of kissed Bella in front of Edward to rub it in his face and mess with his head.

Yes he does. He wants to make sure that she is ready but he wants to be that one to change her.

Her parents divorce.

The people become more bitter when they get older and realizes the realities of life.

A little. Its makes me wonder if she even values human life. She is willing to give up her own and isn't disturbed for Edward to take one.
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

No, I don't think it would have changed anything, Jacob kind of caught her off guard when he kissed her.

I think he is a little bit afraid to do it because he is afraid of losing control and killing her.

Her mother, the way she was raised.

There is quite a difference between the two, her young friend is the one that helped her out in new moon, and the werewolf is one that is making things hard for her and Edward.

No, she wants Edward to be safe and she would sacrifice just about anything to keep him safe.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening? I don't know, i think she would have known that it was causing him pain but to be truly honest i can't imagin Edward ever saying anything and betraying people's thoughts, so i can't really imagin it at all

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?I think he might like the idea of it but i would think he's apprehensive about a lot of things like losing control and making her "soul" lost

Umm...her mom driling it into her smart people don't get married until they have been through college and have started there lives also not seeing her parents still tofether

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book? maybe that even though people have flaws we can still love them. that's sounds really corny but yeah that seems likely

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?Almost, but not really, i guess, though i don't know how i would feel in that situation and well Bella never really would have asked them to do that
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

I think that Bella kind of knew that she was causing Jake pain, even if she refused to aknowledge it. I highly doubt Edward would tell her what Jake was planning, so even if he told her that he was getting reading to confess his love, he still would have caught her off gaurd by kissing her.

I think that Edward would loke to be the one to change Bella because he knows how specail the change is for her and how much she wants it to be him. If she wasn't so determined for it to be him, he might be a little more ready to let Carlisle or Alice do it.

Bella has been taught that getting married right out of highschool is the stupidest thing you can do. She has seen how it ended her parents' marriage, so not wanting to is just a natural reaction.

Jake changed when he became a werewolf. He also changed because Sam was controlling him some what. Bella wants the old, care-free Jake back so much that she makes a distingsion between Jake acting like Jake and Jake acting like Sam.

Yes, but Bella just wants to make sure Edward is safe. Nothing else really matters except his safety to her.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-Yes, I think if Edward had told Bella what Jacob was thinking, Bella would've at least been warned and been able to maybe stop what was going to happen.

-No matter what Edward says, I think he really is the one who wants to change Bella. He doesn't really trust anyone else to do it and if hes the one to change Bella, she'll really belong to him.

-I think her parents marriage is what Bella's hesitation to get married is all about. Renee's told her time and time again that smart people don't get married right off, so Bella is worried about what will happend if she does get married young.

-I think Stephenie was just trying to show us how much Jacob has changed from the first time Bella met him to since hes become a wolf.

-No, it wasn't suprising to me, at least. Bella loves Edward so much that she would sacrifice anything, even it its not something of hers to sacrifce, to make sure Edward is safe.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Babygirl67

Post by Babygirl67 »

no because jacob was determined to try and prove he would be better for her than edward

yes because he would want to be there when shes actually a full vampre..

because shes scared of divorced because of her parents divorce

to give bella a choice..

no not really..