A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AngelinaShadow
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by AngelinaShadow »

. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I was intrigued by her, she was obviously suppressing her emotions as regard moving. I think I could definitely relate to that, and also with her level of maturity. I think a lot of teenage girls are very deep these days and make sacrifices without complaint for the sake of happiness of others. So, I was definitely taken in by the pragmatism.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
Renee seemed scatter-brained and vulnerable, but with good-natured. Charlie also seemed sweet, but unsure of what to do or say. Both have good intentions, but have never grown up fully in other ways.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
Jessica obviously comes across as the gossip with a snide side, and always prepared to look after her own interests. Mike seemed puppy dog cute, if a little annoying. The rest didn't really fully register with me I guess because Bella was so despondent that she didn't really seem completely present in the moment.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Completely intrigued! I don't think you could be scared, I mean, it would be a pretty short book if he killed her straightaway, or at all. His reaction was puzzling, but reaction made me want to know a lot more!

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
Well, I read the blurb so wasn't that surprised...lol. But it was interesting because obviously he maintains his cover by acting normally, and for her to affect him so powerfully, something was amiss, making us even more curious.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I was definitely hooked. The prose is s dreamy and beautiful that I was already in my own romantic, idealistic world!
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I related to Bella right away. Like her, I am responsible, hard working, and a bit of a klutz.

I felt really bad for Charlie when I saw how he never got over Renee. I saw that he is not one to let things go easy. As for Renee, I thought that she didn't want Bella around Charlie. :cry:

Eric- D-E-S-P-A-R-A-T-E!!! DESPARATE!!
Mike- popular, rich snob that thinks every girl wants to go out with him
Jessica- popular, cheerleader "Like everyone loves me!"
Angela- sweet, cares about everyone's feelings

Intirgued! I wanted to know what his problem was!

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
biteme21
Settled in Forks

Post by biteme21 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I did relate to Bella quite a bit. We are both kind of strange in a way, and we have a hard time expressing our emotions. I really liked the fact i could relate with her, because its very hard to find a character these days who is like her.

Renee- I thought she was a very head-in-the-clouds type person, but i really liked her even if she was slightly hair brained. You can tell that no matter what she does, she loves Bella a lot.

Charlie- Even though Charlie was very gruff and didnt show a lot of emotion he was very sweet and kind to Bella and i liked him a lot -still do :).

To be honest i didnt like any of the friends Bella made except for Angela. Eric was kind of desprate. Mike was really nice but he was rude and annoying when Bella rejected him? and Jessica was just plain two faced. it was sad that she was bellas first friend.

I was totally intrigued by Edward and his actions. He seemed so mysterious and dark. And you have to admit, everyone does love a bad boy haha

Edwards behaviour didnt seem very odd to me for some reason.. i guess its because i knew he was a vampire so i was expecting something strange. if i hadnt known i wouldve been curious about him.

I was hooked from the first couple of pages. Stephanie Meyer has such an excellent writing technique and the way Bella narrorates the story is amazing.
lexii_x33
Settled in Forks

Post by lexii_x33 »

I related with Bella right awa because I know what it feels like to move to a totally different climate...we moved from perfect California **sigh** to mosquito infested Georgia a couple years ago. I totally cried when we got off of the plane and walked into the humidity.

I thought that Renee was really selfish, letting Bella go to Forks just because she wanted to spend time with her new husband. I thought that Charlie was like Renee's polar oppoisite it made me wonder how those two lasted long enough to have children lol.

Jessica talked wayyyy too much...she was that annoying person who is always nice to your face but as soon as you turn around she starts breaking you down piece by piece.

Definately intrigued...I didn't really know that he was going to be a vampire so I thought he was a little on the creepy side.

I thought there was definately more to him than Bella knew. I kinda figured that he could read minds...I'm not sure why but from the way he was looking at Bella, you just kinda knew.

Chapter 1 definately had me hooked. There was no way I was putting it down for anything other than the neccesitites.
LizzyVa
Settled in Forks

Post by LizzyVa »

As a 30-something mom, I would have said obviously not but I did find that there were things I could identify with. I could identify with her shyness and apprehension to open up when meeting new people, the insecurity of not finding the perfect niche where you might belong, the acceptance of other people.

Renee -- as a mom I couldn't grasp why she was letting her daughter go at 17. However, I have to admit I left for college at 17 so it's probably not any different. She at least was going to live with her father.

Charlie - the relationship seemed awkward, but acceptable to both of them.

That they were trying to be friendly.

Intrigued. I knew he was a vampire but wasn't sure what he was going through at the moment.

That it had something to do with him being vampire. His aversion to Bella at first seemed to be just smug behavior -- sort of like what Jessica was describing. But the whole Biology class moment was more than that -- to the extent that it made her smell her hair was downright amusing.

The 1st chapter was a good hook but I was already intrigued by the little bit I knew so it was easy to want to continue. I wanted to get to the juicy details.!! LOL

Favorite quote of the chapter: "--- his face was absurdly handsome -- with piercing, hate-filled eyes. For an instant, I felt a thrill of genuine fear, raising the hair on my arms. The look only lasted a second, but it chilled me more than the freezing wind."

Funniest quote of the chapter: "So, did you stab Edward Cullen with a pencil or what? I've never seen him act like that."
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

1) Yes. Because I am a wall flower and an introvert, also I like the sarcastic wit - I use that a lot.
2) Charlie was shy and non-verbal. Renee' - a total ding-bat.
3)They seemed eager to know this new shiny toy that came to their school.
4)Intrigued, very intrigued.
5)I did not know what to think until I read further into the book. I just thought he really hated her.
6) No, actually it was the Preface that attracted me - 1st person narrative and then after that I was hooked.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

There are parts of her that I do relate to. Her looks for one. I have both brown hair and brown eyes and I can be shy when I first meet people depending on the situation. I can't really relate to her in other ways though because I love attention but I don't bring it upon myself and I'm not an attention Vulgar Language Is Ugly, also my parents are together and I grew up in a pretty big town. So in those regards I'm not like her. But personality wise we have more in common.

I really liked both of them. I definitely thought of Charlie as the more responsible parent but I thought Renee seemed like a fun parent. I actually felt really bad for Charlie because he really loves Bella and he hadn't got to spend that much time with her. I like Bella's relationship with her parents. I can kind of relate to her and Charlie's relationship when they're living together.

I really liked Angela. I didn't like Jessica because she just seemed way too jealous and into drama, which is the complete opposite of me. Angela seems like a genuine person and I liked that about her. Everyone else seemed nice and welcoming.

I was more intrigued because I was interested in finding out why he was acting the way he did rather than scared. I wanted their story to start immediately haha.

I just thought he hated her for no reason. I wasn't really sure though.

I was hooked by the Preface. I had to keep reading.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Sparklin'
Settled in Forks

Post by Sparklin' »

Yes, actually; besides our hair and eye colors, that are the same, we're both quite shy at first impression and not willing to draw attention on ourselves, but, on the other hand, both stubborn and determined, though these features of her character did not appear that much in the first chapter. If we want something, we obtain it!Oh...and also we're both daydreamers !!

I liked Charlie really much because he seems the parent that is not going to be stressful and because he leaves Bella free, not making too many questions, understanding her difficult moment coming to a new town. I didn't understand Renee, she just seemed a bit immature and childish.

No particular impressions.....I liked them; the one I could not accept wholeheartedly was Jessica.....she seemed quite jealous of the strange interest that Edward had for Bella, even if she doesn't konw het at all and talked dirty about him only because he didn't care about her...

Definitely intrigued ! How could I not be intrigued by the powerful descriptions that Bella gave of him?? His breathtaking face, his not human beauty....everything in him fascinates you.

Back of the book!!! If I did not know the reason I 'd have probably thought he just hated her by istinct and could not stand her for some strange reason I was eager to know!

Yes, did ! I couldn't wait to read over !!!
ImageImage
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

I actually felt like, "Oh my god! Finally a realistic character, that isn't all, GLAMAZOID to the max!" so yeah, in a way. I related most to the awkwardness, and this sort of weird kind of confidence...The fact that, she takes the initiative to move, and try out a new living enviroment, and stuff...

I was like, Renee, BEST. MOM. EVER. XD And Charlie, was just...always kind of funny to me. But yeah, parents are parents. :)

At first, I thought Jessica was going to be the girl that befriends you, to later stab you in the back. But after a few chapters, I came to love the new friends!

Honestly, I was intrigued. He had sort of a presence... that like, made me like, MUST READ MORE!

I didn't really know, what to think!

Haha, the first page hooked me. :)
ImageImage
E<3B
loveisblind
Settled in Forks

Post by loveisblind »

Yes and no, I don't think that I would full-time go and stay somewhere that I detested so much, especially if it was my choice. I did relate to her with some things though, like her relationship with her father.

I do like Renee, but the fact that Bella was more looking after her own mother, and that she was so irresponsible. I do like their relationship, but Renee should be of higher authority, instead of Bella being the one to guide her mother. Charlie seemed really sincere, like he was trying to make sure that Bella's stay would be pleasant.

I didn't really have many first impressions of her friends except that I didn't like Jessica, I did like Angela and MIke was acting very...clingy (he still does).

Intrigued, there wasn't really much reason to be scared of him.

I was just as confused as Bella, and thinking what in the world is wrong with him? Though, I was still intrigued by him and wanted to discover more about Edward.

Definately.