Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TopazLove
Learning to Love Green

Re: Director Catherine Hardwicke

Post by TopazLove »

Like I said, MR did NOT do a good job on Twilight. I was surprised by that, because she IS such a good writer. I don't think that adaptations are her thing.

But my point was, maybe if Summit was changing directors because Catherine didn't do a good job of adapting the book to screen, it would be a good thing. But, they are not. They are changing directors because they want to get this movie out fast, and make money, AND do it on a small budget. I am just saying I would like a director that at least cares about the plot. I hope they find one, but it doesn't sound like that is what they (Summit) are going to be looking for. :(
Mavors
Settled in Forks

Post by Mavors »

Sad to know that CH was not confirmed as director of NM as well.
She was a fan of the books and even if she portraied it a bit differently in the movie, I shiver in thinking what might happen to the original appeal of the book under a director that knows nothing at all about it, or is only focused on making money.
If CH,as a fan, tought an year was not enough to make a good enough movie, that means we'll probably have a rushed work that wants to take advantage of the huge success the first movie had as soon as possible. And I understand that's the rightful way for big companies like Summit to think, but I still fear what might become of NM...
Hope they won't just take advantage of the huge fun base and actor/s notoriety and aim more for quality
Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
amandaxcullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by amandaxcullen »

Does anybody else think that Stephanie Meyer should direct the movie herself? I think we would have a sure hit and it would be accurate down to the smallest details. What do you guys think?
Team Jacob!
Because a space heater has more potential than a rock.
cullen_kissez

Post by cullen_kissez »

Do you guys think that if they'd stayed with the original release date (what, later this week) Twilight could've turned out differently? I mean, ignoring whenever HP was coming out, if they'd taken the time and worked out the finer details (like Edward sparkling like diamonds, and not just looking like glitter was all over him) would it have made much of a difference?

Hardwicke fired.
.:: why try and fit in when I was born to stand out? ::.

..and then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever.
E<3B
amie

Post by amie »

cullen_kissez wrote:Do you guys think that if they'd stayed with the original release date (what, later this week) Twilight could've turned out differently? I mean, ignoring whenever HP was coming out, if they'd taken the time and worked out the finer details (like Edward sparkling like diamonds, and not just looking like glitter was all over him) would it have made much of a difference?

Hardwicke fired.

No, I don't think that. For one, I was told that Catherine Hardwicke really gave folks a hard time about toning down the sparkle (I have to find a source for that, anyone else have it? A friend saw it in some press) and I don't think the very last minute things being done to a movie are likely to be the issues viewers are complaining about. They usually have things almost completely done and then bring actors back for last minute re-voicing of lines. Jacob's scene at the prom was added in after all other filming was done (according to Taylor in an interview) which means all that other stuff should have been going on all the while. Two or three weeks at the end of the process shouldn't have made that much of a difference to things as major as the way the running effects were filmed, or how the sparkle turned out.
sarina1113
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by sarina1113 »

TopazLove wrote: But my point was, maybe if Summit was changing directors because Catherine didn't do a good job of adapting the book to screen, it would be a good thing. But, they are not. They are changing directors because they want to get this movie out fast, and make money, AND do it on a small budget. I am just saying I would like a director that at least cares about the plot. I hope they find one, but it doesn't sound like that is what they (Summit) are going to be looking for. :(
I agree.

Yes, Catherine did interpret Twilight in her own way which ended up being very different from Stephenie's vision. But she was given that artistic freedom and so were the actors. Rob did not interpret Edward as a genuinely happy and confident guy and so it didn't turn out that way in the film.

I didn't think the Twilight movie was amazing but I didn't think it was bad. I didn't go into the theater expecting it to be dead-on with the book either. And I liked it.

It just stinks that they are changing directors for the wrong reasons. And its just so strange to start shaking things up after a movie was an absolute hit. You'd think they'd want to keep everything as is because it worked perfectly in their favor.
J<3N
Q: Who's your favorite vampire? Edward Cullen or Bill Compton?
A: Well, Bill has quite the...uh... I'll just say Bill is my favorite for undisclosed reasons...

navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Mavors wrote:Sad to know that CH was not confirmed as director of NM as well.
She was a fan of the books and even if she portraied it a bit differently in the movie, I shiver in thinking what might happen to the original appeal of the book under a director that knows nothing at all about it, or is only focused on making money.
If CH,as a fan, tought an year was not enough to make a good enough movie, that means we'll probably have a rushed work that wants to take advantage of the huge success the first movie had as soon as possible. And I understand that's the rightful way for big companies like Summit to think, but I still fear what might become of NM...
Hope they won't just take advantage of the huge fun base and actor/s notoriety and aim more for quality
I, for one, would love it if Icon Pictures bought the rights to these stories. They did the 'National Treasure' films and I think Passion of The Christ. Talk about epic productions. Icon is on more solid ground financially. They would certainly give more to production costs and I would love to think more time to create the kind of world the SM's stories require.

Summit, like CH & MR just do not get it. Summit thinks that generating money quickly is going to save them, but at what expense? Creative ability? Writing a quick script? What, I ask?

I am afraid we are stuck with a narrow-minded production team(Summit) who will probably get us another crappy director and thus another crappy movie. :x
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

amandaxcullen wrote:Does anybody else think that Stephanie Meyer should direct the movie herself? I think we would have a sure hit and it would be accurate down to the smallest details. What do you guys think?
TOTALLY!!! Who knows the books better than SM herself? I think it would be awesome. She could help a lot and say like "this is what I pictured when I was writing it" and stuff like that.
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
BiteMeEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by BiteMeEdward »

ilovetwilight wrote:
amandaxcullen wrote:Does anybody else think that Stephanie Meyer should direct the movie herself? I think we would have a sure hit and it would be accurate down to the smallest details. What do you guys think?
TOTALLY!!! Who knows the books better than SM herself? I think it would be awesome. She could help a lot and say like "this is what I pictured when I was writing it" and stuff like that.
Yes!!! That would be amazing and it would stay so true to the books!
Too bad but I doubt Summit would EVER let that happen.
amandaxcullen

Post by amandaxcullen »

Yeah I doubt Summit would agree to it, and SM is probably busy anyway working on projects. (hopefully!)
But that would've been amazing.
Team Jacob!
Because a space heater has more potential than a rock.