A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
FoundMyEdward0510
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 7 ~ Repetition

Post by FoundMyEdward0510 »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
I think she wanted to hear his voice. She needed an Edward fix, and if JAcob hadn't been there she would have gone.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
He would have handled it better, but he would have told Bella. The treaty would have been broken. A war would have started. If Billy or any of the guys had been told before the Alpha told all of them not to, a war would have started. If I had been told I was a warewolf, I would have flipped.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.
"I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---," Jacob says.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
It's to show how different she truly is since he is gone, and how she really is meant to be a vampire. This comment shows how she is supposed to be a vampire.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
I knew he was her temporary solution to (what she thought) a permenant problem. Everytime she was around Jacob, she didn't feel like she was falling apart, she was just empty. I wondered if the relationship would survive once Edward came back. I knew he would come back
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?

I think that she mostly wanted to here Edward's voice again. There wasn't much else to it. Though there could have been a deeper reason that she didn't really know herself.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

I don't think that Jake would have believed Billy if he told him. Jake probably would have laughed in Billy's face. I think it was in Jake's best interest that Billy didn;t tell him, and I completely agree.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

I think that everyone is still amazed that she comes form Arizona and still manages to come out so pale. It could be a foreshadowing to her becoming a vampire.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?

I think that Bella thought the friendship was temporary at first, but than she realized that she needed it to last for much longer. I thought that by the time we got to Eclipse, Edward would be back and Bella woudl no longer need her 'fix.'
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-i think it was a combination of all three. bella wanted to hear edwards voice, be "absolutely free" and lastly, i think she wanted to just forget and let go by basically killing herself.

-billy didnt tell jacob because its against their like code to tell anyone about the werewolfs, unless you are one or your imprinted on someone. i honestly think if jacob had known, he wouldnt been able to handle it. he didnt believe in any of the ledgends in twilight, so why would believe them now, when billy told him?

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

-i think it was both. stephenie was probably trying to subtley show us the comparison, but at the same time, jacob makes a lot of absent-minded comments like that.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
-bella realized that jacob was only her fix, because he would only ever been that; a temporary happiness. bella would never be fully happy with jacob if edward wasnt in her life also. i didnt think he would continue to be her "fix" in eclipse and in my opinion he wasnt, he was just her friend, althought jacob wanted more.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelcullen86 »

These questions were provided for us from Jazziegeorgie.

This question I think could have many answers depending on how well you read Bella, I think personally that she wanted to be close to Edward & she knew that in giving herself up entirely she would hear his voice again... also at this point in the book she is focusing all of her energies into one thing, being stupid & reckless...cliff-diving ticks all the boxes

I imagine that Billy was thinking that Jacob would only learn through the actions, he probably saw no true reason to intefere, just allow Jacob to make of it what he might. Of course being a descendant of Ephraim Black probably made him think of it as a right of passage for his son...I think Jacob would actually have handled this a lot worse had he known before it had happened, he would have dreaded the change

I think that for Jacob especially Bella will look very pale due to the tone of his own skin, however, I think the whole idea behind Bella's almost transparency is to make us understand her fragility.... as a human, Bella is very fragile, breakable physically....this is in direct contrast to her impenetrable mind, her strong sheild would of course appear black and solid if visible, Bella being so pale is allowing this contrast to be seen more clearly

I think of this as closer to Bella being Edward's heroin, he is unable to get enough of her, her smell, her sound etc etc...when Jacob is pulling Bella out of her zombie phase, Jacob is her fix, he gives her a high, his touch is warm and she relishes it....not realizing of course the implications behind it, but this was purely the way that I saw this...
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue? I think she wanted to hear Edward again and she was looking for any rush she could.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon? I think Jacob could've handled it, but I think it may be a secret tribe thing that you can't know until it happens.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else? I think it was a way to show how much hurt Bella feels, one of those jabs in the heart.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward? I think she believes it will be forever, because as far as she knows Edward will be gone forever. I thought he would continue to be, just because...i don't know. *shrug*
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

Well, she probably wanted to hear Edward's voice again, but I also think there's a deeper reason. I don't believe she was trying to kill herself, but I do think she really just didn't care anymore. You know, being alive or being dead, it was all the same to her. She wasn't going to kill herself on purpose, but if it happened as an accident, she wouldn't really mind.

At that point I think Billy was scared that Jacob wouldn't become a werewolf like he was 'destined' to be. He probably thought that if he did tell Jake, Jacob would either not believe it (and run away from the craziness of his dad) or that he would feel ashamed if he did believe it (for not living up to the family reputation). I think that's why Billy decided to wait to tell Jake.

Because tan people like to tease pale people. :lol: My friends used to do that all the time. So personally, I don't think it has a lot of symbolism behind it (at least not in this part) but it does show how Bella is still hurt by thinking of Edward.

I thought their friendship would be eternal, yes.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

Honestly..I think it was a combination of factors. She absolutely wants to hear Edwards voice and she wants to continue breaking the promise about being safe and responsible. And, sometimes even though she says that she is not trying to kill herself..I wonder are you really not? I dont know I am rambling.

Probably not. Maybe he wouldn't have spent so much time with Bella if he knew that at any time he could turn into something else. Billy was trying to protect him as long as he could. I dont know, maybe there was some kind of rule about not saying anything.

An innocent comment by Jacob. Or If I really want to look deeper into the comment I could say that its a reflection of Edward (light) and Jacob (dark)...and a reflection of the title of the next book "Eclipse" light vs dark.

I dont think she put too much thought into it. She didn't know that Edward was coming back.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~i think it was a little of both.
~because its a secret.lol
~an innocent comment on jacob's part, i must say.
~yes, they had a great friendship. :)
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue? She may have wanted to do something that she knew that Edward would never, NEVER ever, in a trillion years let her do. (even if she was a vampire)

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon? Billy didn't want to scare Jacob. I don't think he would've handled it any differently.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob. "I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---," Jacob says. Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else? I think that it's a subtle reference to how she has been like a dead zombie.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward? I think that she thought it would only be temporary. Maybe, he might be her fix in Eclipse.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I think it's a little of all of that-- she wants to hear his voice, she wants to hurt him, and she wants to be reckless.

He could've understood the truth at the time, but I'm not sure it would have changed the way he reacted to his own change later in the story

I don't think Jacob's character (at this point) is such that he would compare light and dark as more than just color. Probably was just an off hand comment on Jacob's part.

I'm not sure she realized the nature of her friendship w/ Jacob would be temporary. She didn't think Edward was coming back, and while she certainly realized Jacob wanted more than friendship, she wasn't thinking in that way at this time. I was pretty sure they would always be friends.