Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LamoreVincera
Settled in Forks

Re: The Official Twilight Soundtrack

Post by LamoreVincera »

eden1437 wrote:That said, I am so in love with Rob's voice now..."Never Think" has been the start of my "finals" playlist this week and I simply am gaga over it. Lol. I hope he makes something for New Moon about what Edward was going through having to leave Bella and such...
I agree. I do wish there had been a touch more (just a teensy bit!) diction in "Let Me Sign", but I really do like the folsky, near-bluesy thing he's got going with his voice. And damn, the boy can play guitar. I'm impressed.
A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

LamoreVincera wrote:
eden1437 wrote:That said, I am so in love with Rob's voice now..."Never Think" has been the start of my "finals" playlist this week and I simply am gaga over it. Lol. I hope he makes something for New Moon about what Edward was going through having to leave Bella and such...
I agree. I do wish there had been a touch more (just a teensy bit!) diction in "Let Me Sign", but I really do like the folsky, near-bluesy thing he's got going with his voice. And damn, the boy can play guitar. I'm impressed.
I bought the soundtrack about a week before I saw the movie (that's a first for me). I was kind of hesitant to listen to "Never Think". I guess I was afraid Rob would sound like every other actor trying to sound like a musician. But I was very pleasantly surprised and the song has grown on me ever since. He really does play guitar quite well and I love the simplicity of the melody, the stripped-down sound, and all the emotion conveyed by Rob through his singing. As you mentioned, a little clearer diction would be nice, but it's almost like Rob just sings for himself and his enjoyment and he doesn't really care if others choose to listen to him.
Banner by TammyAZ
cascsiany
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by cascsiany »

LamoreVincera wrote:I'm gonna gain instant unpopularity here by saying this, I think, but - I don't like Bella's Lullaby. (My brain's currently going "Way to make friends, n00b." lol)

Well, let me clarify. What is Bella's Lullaby, in my completely unprofessional opinion, shouldn't have been labeled as such. It was background scoring for a montage scene. What I wish is that Carter Burwell (or, hell, even Rob) had written a separate piece for it. If they couldn't play it in the movie, hey. Fine. But put it on the soundtrack.

Don't get me wrong - you'd hear me griping if Mr. Burwell had pulled something that sounded like Brahms' Lullaby out, too... But the piece just didn't FIT. Given that it's about Bella, I expected a little discordance in the piece (it IS about Bella, after all - lol), but it felt like the majority of the piece was, and heading into minor key for much of it. I certainly don't think that an 108-year vampire's gonna write something completely in a major key that's all rainbows and sunshine, but this just didn't feel right.

Aaaand I'll shut my trap now. lol
Don't worry you aren't the only one that feels that way. I feel like there was something missing from the song, it's described as being a story. There wasn't enough to the song to give it that feel. It felt like it was kind of flat.
EDC, Inc... Crane Trainee
Team Rosalie ~ Every Rose has its Thorn
"We can find some other way to pick a fight with this Demetri."~ Emmett, NM p. 534
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
Davnee
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Davnee »

I was pretty surprised at Burwell's take on the lullaby as well. He's such a great composer and has done so many other films, so you would think he'd understand how to interpret Stephenie's description of the song and make magic out of it. Still, I do love it regardless. And I love seeing Robert playing it on the piano. That's just an added bonus. :mrgreen:
Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

Davnee wrote:I was pretty surprised at Burwell's take on the lullaby as well. He's such a great composer and has done so many other films, so you would think he'd understand how to interpret Stephenie's description of the song and make magic out of it. Still, I do love it regardless. And I love seeing Robert playing it on the piano. That's just an added bonus. :mrgreen:

Yeah, it wasn't how I had pictured it either, but I still liked it. I think the thing that I was most thrown by was all of the other instrumental stuff in the beginning of the lullaby and how it seemed "dark" at some points. I imagined it as piano only and very soft, whimsical, and longer. When I went to see the movie the 2nd time I was surprised on how much that lullably is in the movie broken up into bits and pieces through out the entire movie.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

so just a random note I wanted to put on here. I have been listening to the soundtrack A LOT lately and it's soo bad that I'm listening to nothing else! :D Usually this time of year I love listening to Christmas music & really get into the holiday. But I have no desire to listen to my favorite Christmas cd's this year! It's sooooo weird for me. I'm assuming it's because of the soundtrack! the more I listen to it the more I LOVE the soundtrack! And then because I know when the songs are played it makes me think of those scenes & makes my happy. I'm such an obsessed fan, it's sad!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Davnee
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Davnee »

So I'm not the only one! I have both soundtracks and made myself a mix of the two so I could just listen to them over and over again. I can't seem to stop myself. Glad I'm not the only one.
Em24
Settled in Forks

Post by Em24 »

older_twilight_fan wrote: I bought the soundtrack about a week before I saw the movie (that's a first for me). I was kind of hesitant to listen to "Never Think". I guess I was afraid Rob would sound like every other actor trying to sound like a musician. But I was very pleasantly surprised and the song has grown on me ever since. He really does play guitar quite well and I love the simplicity of the melody, the stripped-down sound, and all the emotion conveyed by Rob through his singing. As you mentioned, a little clearer diction would be nice, but it's almost like Rob just sings for himself and his enjoyment and he doesn't really care if others choose to listen to him.
I too love the emotion of the songs by Rob. The first time I listened to both of his songs for the movie, I was struck by how, even in not being able to understand the words, the feeling shone through. I think both songs provided wonderful moments on the soundtrack downloaded from iTunes. The soundtrack as whole was an experience of different feelings and emotions. Even before the movie, I felt like I was going on a beautifully complex journey.

On a related side note, I am looking for contributors for a Twilight related music site. Check out the link in my signature.
Dazzling Inspiration
A website blog showcasing the many facets of Twilight music.

Icon by vampiresftw
"Lucky" photo taken and made by me!
TeamEdward99
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamEdward99 »

I LOVE the soundtrack! My favorite sons are Decode, Leave out all the rest,I caught myself, Supermassive Black Hole, and Never Think. I like all the song but I like those the best. They relate to the story better I think. Like they kind of tell the story in the song.
Em24
Settled in Forks

Post by Em24 »

TeamEdward99 wrote:I LOVE the soundtrack! My favorite sons are Decode, Leave out all the rest,I caught myself, Supermassive Black Hole, and Never Think. I like all the song but I like those the best. They relate to the story better I think. Like they kind of tell the story in the song.
Those are some of my favorites as well. The lyrics capture certain moments in the story and points of view from different characters. The soundtrack as a whole is such an experience. I love the different feelings as each song unfolds to the next. I rarely see a CD as a whole experience from start to finish. It is just not something I can comprehend. With the Twilight Soundtrack though, it truly was a journey from beginning to end. Sitting down to listen to it is like reliving moments of Twilight in concentration, the ebb and flow is great.
Dazzling Inspiration
A website blog showcasing the many facets of Twilight music.

Icon by vampiresftw
"Lucky" photo taken and made by me!