Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 15 ~ Wager

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward?
No. He isnt going to give up on her. As long as her heart is still beating I cant see him not trying. He believes that there is hope for her to see.

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming?
The kiss seemed to me like it was kind of harsh. I kind of knew that it was coming though.

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react?
Bellas reaction was something that I would do too. She didn't want Jacob to kiss her. Jacobs reaction was kind of funny to me. I mean he didnt care that she wasnt even trying to kiss him back. And he just jokes around when he hits her. Charlies is funny too. I could tell that Edward was not happy at all when Bella told him that Jacob kissed her.

4. Did you feel horror at the news of Jasper and Emmett’s bet, as Bella did?
Yes.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?”
Well, she is set on spending the rest of her life with him. She doesnt want to have to give up some human experiences.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

1. Were you surprised at how un-discouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward?
No. He knows better. Besides, if Bella were originally with Jacob and Edward was in love with her, wouldn't Edward be doing the same thing. Well, no, probably not, actually. But any other boy would... Edwrad is just too... Edward. He still wants to be around her, no matter what.

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming?
I always saw it coming. I was surprised it took him so long to do it. I didn't like it, but I wasn't shocked at all. So pushy.

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react?
Oh, I thought Edward was going to have some kind of episode. I thought that his hey-I'm-alright-with-everything facade would fade out. I was only a little surprised when Bella tried to punch him because she's generally not violent. But I was glad she did, even if it did break her knuckle. Charlie's reaction was to die for, I was laughing so hard. Of course after it passed I was clucking my tongue like, Charlie, be fair.... Jacob was still optimistic just as I knew he'd be. He loved it. I'm sure he liked making Edward so uncomfortable, and probably even enjoyed the threats a little.

No, I thought the whole thing was pretty Emmett. I was a little surprised that Jasper would partake in such a bet, but I guess it makes sense. He just wants to feel good about himself.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?”
I think I got it fairly quickly. I thought, aw man, she wants to... bake cookies. But I was still trying to think of other things it could be, because I'll admit I thought it was a little silly. Reasonable, but silly to ask Edward for it because of his rules. After a minute though, I was sure that was it.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ChristinasHeadache »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward?
I wasn't. Jacob was a persistent piece of work. While I can't say that he was wrong, I believe Edward and Bella were designed for each other. I think Jacob did what anyone who loved someone would do if they thought that someone was making the wrong choice.

I was pissed. I knew he wanted to, but I had thought he loved her enough to respect her.

O M E .... I would not have shut down like Bella did and punched later, I would have kept trying to push him off then when he 'touched his lips again to hers, once, twice, and a third time' that was too much. She had let it go on too long. Finally punching him was perfect. Jacob did what Jacob always wanted to. I didn't like his little smug attitude and immediately blaming her for breaking her own hand :evil: grrr. I wanted to kick Charlie's butt. I was cussing up a storm. You just let ANY man/boy/whatever kiss my daughter when she didn't want to be kissed I will kill the lil SOB Charlie tells Jake 'good for you kid' I don't think so. More grrrr. Edward was perfect. My favorite part... I don't care if a meteor falls out of the sky and hits her on the head lol Seriously I thought Edward would be so angry, but he remained in complete control.

I thought it was kinda dumb, but really when you live eternally... you need to do something for entertainment right?

When I read it, I sure the heck knew what I was thinking. :oops: I never dreamed Bella was thinking the same thing lol
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia

Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

No, for some reason, he has this supernatural confidence.

I was shocked.

I laughed when she punched Jake. And then I was surprised when she didn't hurt him. I didn't like Charlie's reaction. I thought Edward would be mad, but it was less than I was expecting.

Surprise, but I laughed at that too, so it wasn't really horror.

That still confuses me. :?
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

No. In a way, you can't blame him because Bella has allowed him to hold her hand, but in a way, you can blame him because no means no.

It was so disgusting. I saw it coming but still the fact that he is stronger than Bella, and Bella was helpless and she couldn't break free.

Iloved Bella's reaction!!! I even said "Go Bella!" to the book. Jacob.... ugh he needs to get over himself and find himself a wolf girlfriend.. he so delusional. I really don't like Charlie in this whole book. He is not being supportive of his daughter. If Charlie would pay attension to Bella, rather than his TV, he may of see that Bella wasn't so thrilled about the kiss, and Jacob isn't the little angel that he thinks he is. I loved Edwards warning but I thought (and hoped) that he would of just killed Jacob.

Horror? no. Disappointed? yes. I thought that was degrading Bella in Jasper and Emmett's part. Like they don't think that she could be a vegaritian. I thought that they respected her better than that.

At first no but after reading these replys I see what experience she was talking about: sex!!!!!
Mrs. Black
Settled in Forks

Post by Mrs. Black »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward? Hmm...not really. He could see it coming that Bella loved him still, but was denying it. I think a lot of people could see that. He was trying to help her; to get her to stop lying to herself, even though it caused pain.

I honestly thought that Jacob was going to be better than that, but after I read a little more, I realized that it made sense. It was all part of his plot to get Bella to stop lying to herself. And it worked.

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react? Bella: I expected her to act this way, because at that point, I wasn't really sure about what she thought. Jacob: I also expected him to act the way he did. That's just Jacob. Again, all part of him plan. Charlie: I expected him to be proud of Jacob and laugh at Bella. Obviously, he likes Jacob better than Edward. He was probably upset that Bella didn't react better, though. Edward: I didn't think he was gonna be too mad, just kind of. I expected him to want to kill Jacob, but acknowledge that Bella tried to hurt him. Typical Edward.

4. Did you feel horror at the news of Jasper and Emmett’s bet, as Bella did? I was surprised that Jasper was in on it. It just doesn't seem like Jasper. Emmett I can see doing that. So, yes and no. Maybe if it were, say, Emmett and Alice or something, that would've been...well I don't know...what's the word for it...expected?

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?” Hmmm...I'm not exactly sure. Perhaps...hmm...

"Life sucks and then you die. Yeah, I should be so lucky." -Jacob Black
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

Yes, he just doesn't seem to get the point, she cares about him but it will never be like the way she feels about Edward.

I was pretty ticked about that, it was unfair to Bella.

Bella reacted normally, she was kind of assulted, Jacob was an idiot for dragging it on, Charlie reacted way to calmly, and Edward's reaction didn't surprise me, he is very protective of Bella and he is a little bit on the jealous side.

No, it is kind of typical of something of Jasper and Emmett.

I kind of already guessed that, I've been waiting for it to happen for a while.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
patricac
Settled in Forks

Post by patricac »

I was a little surprised that he wasn’t more hurt by Bella’s feelings about Edward. She was being really honest, it’s almost like he just ignored most of what she was saying. He was just so sure there was something between them.

It was about time for Jacob to be persistent! I didn’t like the way he kept going though, forcing himself on her like that – especially with his strength – there was no way for Bella to break loose. I thought that Jacob would have a little more respect for Bella than to force her.

Bella’s reaction was great! I love that she broke her hand. I think Jacob should have been more regretful – although, he thought she kissed back. From the narrative, it didn’t seem that way to me… did I miss something? I think Charlie should have stood up for Bella. He’s her dad! If his daughter was forced into a kiss, he should’ve been more upset with Jacob – who cares if he preferred him over Edward. This is his daughter, take her side. I liked Edwards composed reaction. I think he was happy that she hit him, of course.

I thought it was very vampire humor. It’s their reality, living for the thirst. They’ve all been through it. Bella felt horror and she should’ve. She’s making a huge decision to become immortal – just like them. She needs to look at it for what it really is, not just for what she wants it to be.

I was happy that she was finally really thinking about it realistically – she would have to give up some things and it’s good that she recognized this.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

Jake isn't one to give up, so even thought we all knew that it was a hopeless cause and Bella would never leave Edward in a million years, Jake is persistent.

I probably should had seen it coming, but I never thought Jake would go that far! I was completely shocked.

I was a little shocked by Bella's reaction, though not really. It was funny though. I laughed when she nearly broke her hand. What was she thinkging trying to punch a werewolf? And Jake's reaction was funnier. He was all cool and calm over it and Bella was freaking out. Charlie's reaction had to be the best, though. He wasn't at all upset! Thinking about Edward's reaction scared me, though. I was like, "Jake, you better start counting your heartbeats, 'cause they're numbered."

I found it rather funny. It was one of thoses inside vampire jokes. Of course it would scare Bella, though, If I were her, I would have been to. Its different when the bet is on you.

I think that Bella was beginning to realize just how much she was willing to give to become a vampire.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-Ugh. YES. Jacob like seriously couldn't get the hint that Bella didn't love him the way she loved Edward! It was so frustrating!

-I could see it coming, even still it shocked me Jacob would be gutsy enough to do that.

-Hhaha, I laugh when Bella punched Jacob, I would've too if someone did that to me. Jacob was how I expected, to be really immature about it and twist Bella's words around. Charlie, I was suprised he didn't even scold Jacob for what he did! And Edward, haha he acted the way I thought he would.

-No, it didn't suprise me that they would bet on something like that.

-I knew right away Bella was talking about having sex with Edward.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight