General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pixie_dust96
Settled in Forks

Re: Vampire eye colors

Post by pixie_dust96 »

does anyone else think that edwards eyes would have turned red after sucking the venom out of bella in twilight? there was no mention of the change or that they returned to their natural golden goodness afterwards
Twilighter1000
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilighter1000 »

pixie_dust96 wrote:does anyone else think that edwards eyes would have turned red after sucking the venom out of bella in twilight? there was no mention of the change or that they returned to their natural golden goodness afterwards
Hey , you're right. Well observed. I think this is a question for Stephanie Meyer to answer though.
Image Image
DumBumm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by DumBumm »

I like the red eyes better (which doesn't mean i wouldn't be a vegetarian, if i was a vampire, I'd
probably would ;) ) the yellow/golden eyes didn't look so great to me, they were to bright, i didn't picture it so bright in the book, which leads to, why hasn't anyone one noticed at school?
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

Twilighter1000 wrote:
pixie_dust96 wrote:does anyone else think that edwards eyes would have turned red after sucking the venom out of bella in twilight? there was no mention of the change or that they returned to their natural golden goodness afterwards
Hey , you're right. Well observed. I think this is a question for Stephanie Meyer to answer though.
He would have eyes like the people in pictures that turn out with red eyes. LOL! I do agree with you thought, gold is not really my favorite color choice.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
edwardisperfection
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by edwardisperfection »

I love all the vampires eyes...
the whole scarlet thing is fascinating to me.

I also love the topaz eyes the Cullens have.... mmm Edward
TeamEdward
Bringing sexyback since 1901.
"So the lion fell in love with the lamb."
"What a lucky lamb."
Amo
Settled in Forks

Post by Amo »

Hm...the eyes are quite interesting. Something about the diet may have something to do with it, yet I'm guessing Meyer felt that a color for good would be gold or topaz. It's a good transition color from black, actually. Black to red...and black to gold. Perhaps it's so different because more animal blood is need to quench a vampire's thirst all at once than it is for human blood? Hm...that would be interesting.
I doubt it would come to the actual blood, because animal blood is red too and for the eyes to be affected by the color of the blood, it would require the eyes to have no pigment and simply be white to begin with. Unless the blood there was dead and blackened blood...and the blood that they drank, depending on the amount, caused more color again.

Wow. That makes sense to me, heh.
What on earth does fornification under consent of king have to do with this? Twilight.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I think it has to do with how much human blood goes into the system, and how often the given vampire drinks human blood. Edward, drinking animal blood, who need more than what he sucked out of Bella's system to change his eye colour from the goldish colour to red.
Amo wrote:Hm...the eyes are quite interesting. Something about the diet may have something to do with it, yet I'm guessing Meyer felt that a color for good would be gold or topaz. It's a good transition color from black, actually. Black to red...and black to gold. Perhaps it's so different because more animal blood is need to quench a vampire's thirst all at once than it is for human blood? Hm...that would be interesting.
I doubt it would come to the actual blood, because animal blood is red too and for the eyes to be affected by the color of the blood, it would require the eyes to have no pigment and simply be white to begin with. Unless the blood there was dead and blackened blood...and the blood that they drank, depending on the amount, caused more color again.

Wow. That makes sense to me, heh.
Okay, little confused.

Animals and humans consume meat differently. Humans cook the meat and animals don't so right away there is a difference in possible consumption of blood. Humans not only have meat going into their system, but fruit and veggies, milk, and drugs going in. Wild meateaters don't have the same diet as humans, they eat just meat and drink water. Yay, I`m confusing myself with what I just typed, so I`ll stop now.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Gi.Kodaly wrote:Don't you think that they should wear lenses with normal eyes colors? I mean, no one has the eyes colors that the Cullens have so that would make the humans suspicious. And how would Esme and Carlisle would be able to adopt 5 kids with the same features and eyes? That's really weird. IDK how human didn't think that was weird.
If you'll remember in Breaking Dawn, when Charlie came over for the first time, Alice gave Bella contact lenses to wear because her eyes were still red. Alice said she'd have to replace them, because the venom in a vamp's system will disintegrate them. Also, on Christmas over at Charlie's house, Bella had gone through 3 pairs of contacts. No, I don't think they should wear normal-colored contacts. That would just be one more thing for them to have to keep up with during the day, having to replace them every few hours. Also, Alice tells Bella that the contacts blur their vision. I wear contacts, and I can tell you that it is extremely uncomfortable when a spec of something gets on them, or when they get dry. It must be worse for a vampire, having perfectly clear vision, to have to wear those and not be able to see clearly.

I'm sure the humans noticed something was up with the eyes. The Cullens are reclusive; they don't talk to anyone at school. Edward tells Bella that they usually just go along with whatever story the humans think... Jasper and Rosalie are not twins (obviously), but the humans think they are because they have the same color hair and look alike in the face. The humans know just enough to keep away, and the Cullens only give information when asked.

Pixie_Dust~ The story is told from Bella's point of view, and Carlisle had given her morphine while attending to her injuries. Bella had lost a lot of blood from them. There probably wasn't much there for the venom to mix with, and I dare say not enough to turn Edward's eyes close to a red color. Bella is kind of hazy at this point, so she probably didn't notice his eye color. Now, in the hospital, (page 471), she says that his eyes were dark, closer to black than gold. Edward had been there in the hospital with her every minute, so we can assume he hadn't fed since tasting her blood. That would make it seem that he did not drink enough of her blood in order to turn his eyes red.
Ichigo Kitty
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Ichigo Kitty »

I think in the movie they did a really good job with turning Edward's eyes from a brown color to a gold color. It seemed that it turned gold though in the movie when Bella's blood was too much for him which made Bella suspicious.
Ice and Fire co-existing together without destroying each other...

~ E<3B
Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

RebeccaCullen wrote:

I think it has to do with how much human blood goes into the system, and how often the given vampire drinks human blood. Edward, drinking animal blood, who need more than what he sucked out of Bella's system to change his eye colour from the goldish colour to red.

That is what I think too. I think that the amount of blood drank would then have a direct effect on the eye color. Since he was only drinking her blood to suck on the venom, I doubt that he actually drank enough that would then effect his eyes, because then well Bella would have been dead bc he would have drained her. Thus, he still had gold eyes. Now lets say if a vegetarian vamp were all of a sudden start drinking humans again then I think the eye color would gradually change to red, and vice vesa. Since, Bella's body was full of her own human blood when she was changed it will take a gradual change over time for her eyes to change from red to gold as well.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY