Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
StuckInTheTower
Settled in Forks

Re: Sulpicia, Athenodora and Didyme

Post by StuckInTheTower »

[quote][/NaHueLs_GirL- haha, since we're talking about VAMPIRES here, i find the phrasing "his own flesh and blood" to be amusing.

i personally wonder this: in breaking dawn, it was mentioned that "the wives never leave the tower." why don't they? clearly they don't have a hand in ruling volterra with their husbands. i imagine them both as being fairly oppressed....to tell the truth, i imagine that while didyme was "alive", the wives got along well, but since she died sulpicia and athenodora just tolerate each other because they have nobody else.quote]
Why can't the wives just leave? :?:
DumBumm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by DumBumm »

StuckInTheTower wrote:
[/NaHueLs_GirL- haha, since we're talking about VAMPIRES here, i find the phrasing "his own flesh and blood" to be amusing.
i personally wonder this: in breaking dawn, it was mentioned that "the wives never leave the tower." why don't they? clearly they don't have a hand in ruling volterra with their husbands. i imagine them both as being fairly oppressed....to tell the truth, i imagine that while didyme was "alive", the wives got along well, but since she died sulpicia and athenodora just tolerate each other because they have nobody else.
I don't think anyone knows why they cant leave the tower, but... if you look it from this way: They are the wives of Aro and Caius, they probably get what they want, they get food served to them, and the last, they are The Volturi, if they get so much, why would they leave.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

StuckInTheTower wrote:
[/NaHueLs_GirL- haha, since we're talking about VAMPIRES here, i find the phrasing "his own flesh and blood" to be amusing.

i personally wonder this: in breaking dawn, it was mentioned that "the wives never leave the tower." why don't they? clearly they don't have a hand in ruling volterra with their husbands. i imagine them both as being fairly oppressed....to tell the truth, i imagine that while didyme was "alive", the wives got along well, but since she died sulpicia and athenodora just tolerate each other because they have nobody else.quote]
I doubt they are oppressed. They usually make think of women in acient times, confined in women's rooms with other women. They are probably surrounded by servents and other important vampire females, gossiping and plotting.

And I could bet Sulpicia, as Aro's mate probably rules that tower like a queen bee. And the reason why they don't leave the tower could be for protection, to avoid exposition in front of other males. And probably because they don't want their opinions. Caius doesn't seem to be the type who likes to debate with women his decisions. :roll:

And I don't think they would want to leave. There is no reason to do it. Anything they want can be provided:servents, clothes, lovers and food. I agree with you that since Didyme died, the other two just tolerate each other. I think they can't leave. You don't walk away from the Volturi coven. And i really don't see them more than tolerating Aro, Caius and Marcus. I really don't think their relationship is based in love and care, like the Cullens. I think they all have a very polite relationship based in interestes. The Volturi are married mad because they lived in times grown up men suppose to get married. To form alliances and bring more power to the family. So, if they are the most powerful coven in the world, it's more interesting to be under their protection, then against them, right?
StuckInTheTower
Settled in Forks

I hav a hunch that Didyme was created and killed before Sulpicia and Athenodora were and when they ask their husbands about "empty" Marcus They will tell them that lie about her being killed in a battle and 'cuase they never met her they hadn't any reason to suspect that Aro killed her or that she was even his biological sister! :!: :!: :!:
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

speaking of the wives...

hmm..

I think perhaps i should read through some of SMs FAQ list, since a lot of the things that have been brought up here (i.e., Aro was related to Didyme, Aro killed Didyme, Didyme carried around an aura of happiness, all of that) i had no idea about...

Let me get back to you on this subject once I am a little more well-versed, ok?

thanks
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
DunnerheartsTwilight
Being Tortured by Jane
Location: Postaholic. Vampirizing Sarah, Emo Tee-angers! DSCL 4 LIFE

Post by DunnerheartsTwilight »

i wish it (the books) would have talked more about the wives or at least mentioned their names in the story instead of just at the back and dont you think its cruel that Aro killed his own sister just to have another power on his team and dont vampires have like supernatural hate against anyone who kills their mates?? shouldnt Marcus have like killed Aro and is that why Marcus is sooo bored he doesnt have a mate and he hates Aro... im confused??
APPC~Party Manager.Leo~Volturi
Cosimo Tagliano~Jamie-Drake.On The List. Seth-Team Jake
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

DunnerheartsTwilight wrote:i wish it (the books) would have talked more about the wives or at least mentioned their names in the story instead of just at the back and dont you think its cruel that Aro killed his own sister just to have another power on his team and dont vampires have like supernatural hate against anyone who kills their mates?? shouldnt Marcus have like killed Aro and is that why Marcus is sooo bored he doesnt have a mate and he hates Aro... im confused??
That is a good point about the insatiable need for revenge any vamp feels after having lost his/her mate, but, again, I do believe it has been established that aro murdered didyme in secret and that marcus knew/knows nothing about it (although, having spent so long at aro's side witnessing the type of "person" he is, he would be a fool to not at least suspect), which is why instead of a seething hate-filled bloodlusting vendetta, he merely gets bored with existence and stops caring about it, having no one at whom to direct his vengeance...
I think it would be quite awesome if Marcus did find out. I mean, you never hear much of him or his character, or ever really see him in action, but I've always pictured him as quite a bad @$$, being so silent and composed all the time, that I think if it ever came down to a showdown between Marcus and Aro, I think (hope) that Marcus would tear him apart...
But then again, Aro already knows everything there is to know about marcus, including his proficiency as a fighter, so maybe it WOULD be a little bit of an unfair fight...
who knows?
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
DumBumm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by DumBumm »

SenorGimp wrote:
DunnerheartsTwilight wrote:i wish it (the books) would have talked more about the wives or at least mentioned their names in the story instead of just at the back and dont you think its cruel that Aro killed his own sister just to have another power on his team and dont vampires have like supernatural hate against anyone who kills their mates?? shouldnt Marcus have like killed Aro and is that why Marcus is sooo bored he doesnt have a mate and he hates Aro... im confused??
That is a good point about the insatiable need for revenge any vamp feels after having lost his/her mate, but, again, I do believe it has been established that aro murdered didyme in secret and that marcus knew/knows nothing about it (although, having spent so long at aro's side witnessing the type of "person" he is, he would be a fool to not at least suspect), which is why instead of a seething hate-filled bloodlusting vendetta, he merely gets bored with existence and stops caring about it, having no one at whom to direct his vengeance...
I think it would be quite awesome if Marcus did find out. I mean, you never hear much of him or his character, or ever really see him in action, but I've always pictured him as quite a bad @$$, being so silent and composed all the time, that I think if it ever came down to a showdown between Marcus and Aro, I think (hope) that Marcus would tear him apart...
But then again, Aro already knows everything there is to know about marcus, including his proficiency as a fighter, so maybe it WOULD be a little bit of an unfair fight...
who knows?

This is very interesting. You would think that Marcus would want revenge... but I don't think Marcus knows... only because, when your depressed you don't pay any attention to anything, anyone... thats Marcus. I think when Didyme died, Marcus probably had his madman time. Unless... After Aro killed his sister, Aro acted dumb... like he was the last to know, he most likely put on an act (he's good at that) in front of Marcus, which would give Marcus a reason not to blame Aro for Didyme. Or after Aro killed his sister... what if he actually was upset... like he couldn't believe what he had done, i think he had his moments after doing what he did, Were as Marcus probably thinks that he's devastated about his sister's death.
Or... Marcus thinks she's already been revenged... what if Aro put it on someone else's hands... SM did say "When Aro knew no one would find out" he killed her... Maybe Marcus (in his mind) has already revenged Didyme. But without her Aura of happiness... his this Zombie, and he's still upset over losing her. Aro wouldn't be like that because it been over so many years.
StuckInTheTower
Settled in Forks

StuckInTheTower wrote:I hav a hunch that Didyme was created and killed before Sulpicia and Athenodora were and when they ask their husbands about "empty" Marcus They will tell them that lie about her being killed in a battle and 'cuase they never met her they hadn't any reason to suspect that Aro killed her or that she was even his biological sister! :!: :!: :!:
Back to this... If I'm not wrong not even Carlisle/Edward know 'bout Didyme.In BD,Carlisle/Edward said:
"At first there were only 3 of them(Aro ,Caius and Marcus).TWO females joined over time..."
I really wonder how Aro & Caius met Sulpicia & Athenodora.
Ifeellikerain
Learning to Love Green

Post by Ifeellikerain »

I didn't want this thread to die, I find it really interesting...so, to get things started again:

not sure why Stephenie picked the names athenodora, sulpicia, and didyme but I did some research just for funsies.
athenodora - greek in some fashion, i found many famous men named athenodorus some of whom were philosophers and writers. but the name comes from athena, the greek goddess of wisdom, war, the arts, industry, and justice. she is well known for being born from her fathers head and bearing the medusa's head on her shield. also known as the virgin goddess (that part probably has nothing in common with athenodora, just guessing...)
sulpicia - the name of two roman women poets, probably 2 of the only well known.., the better known having written a famous poem about her "relationship" with her husband and i think it was supposed to have been somewhat explicit?? i dunno... she was an aristocrat and wrote a lot about love and sensuality i think. oh wait...no i think she wrote about being in love with someone besdies her husband :? but her poems still seem to have been explicit and "in your face" well for the time anyways
didyme- seems to have been the name of a famous egyptian mistress to ptolemy III but the name is greek and means "twin" were her and aro twins? anyways...also a common name in french and some other languages.

anyways i doubt any of this has anything to do with anything but i found it interesting. you could assume that athenodora was incredibly intelligent and wise and perhaps this was what attracted the volturri to her? maybe sulpicia was very sensual or a good lover? and didyme=twin, sister to aro? anyways just some interesting facts, im curious as to why stephenie actually picked these names, they dont really show up often on greek name searches but who knows :)