Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
love2travel
Wandering Through Town

Re: Jacob Black Past, Present and Future

Post by love2travel »

Jake is really a wonderful, funny, likeable character... I hope that SM writes more about him and Nessie as hat would make a wonderful sequel...
I like his wit , especially and how he will fight to the death for someone he loved...
#1twi-guy
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by #1twi-guy »

Please don't hate me for saying this all you Team Jacobs, but I liked him better before he became a shapeshifter.
He got kinda obnoxious after that, but before like in Twilight and the beginning of New Moon I thought he was a cool guy and really fun to read about. Then he just kind of became annoying. Once again, I am so sorry to all of you Jacob fans, this is just my opinion.

The original twi-guy.
While people obsess over Edward, I have a thing for Alice. Hehe
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I loved the Jacob of the past. I'm sure that if he were real, and anywhere in my general area, I would have been great friends with Jake. He was funny and care-free... things that I kind-of miss about him. But, he was kind of... depthless? But didn't really have any kind of perspective for things.

The Jacob of the present is... confusing. He changes moods like a model changes clothes. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders, and he's doing the best with what he has. But sometimes, that's not enough. He's stressed, and sad, and confused. Then, he meets Renesmee, and he's a lot easier to deal with.

I have a lot of hope for the Jake of the future. I'm glad he's finally found some middle ground between him and Bella.. now he can be with her without wanting her, in that way. Now he can have an excuse to know her forever, and can finally get along with Edward, and can finally be in love with someone who can return it. He can be happy without all the stipulations.

I also have a bit of apprehension for the Jake of the future. His relationship with a half-vampire is bound to run into some complications.
I wish that SM would write some stuff on the future, just so that us Jake fans can all be well at ease!!

:)
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Volterrian
Wandering Through Town

Post by Volterrian »

Hey,

Time for a breif rant because I am tired and want to go to bed soon.

I adored Jacob in New Moon and Eclipse I liked him more then most of the other character in fact. Because I could related to him. I had a girl I was madly in love with, we got together, broke up, got together, broke up and through it all we were and still are friends. If this girl needed a heart I would would offer my own because just thinking about her lights up my eyes (At least according to friends of ours) So the Bella and Jacob relationship I totally understand. Even early BD I got because I would and will do the same for this girl when the time comes.

I didn't like his imprinting on Nessie because it seemed to easy, so predicted and so blah like 'Oh well since everyone needs a happy ending lets make Jacob fall for Bella's kid that will add the drama and tie up lose ends'

Noone can tell me there is not a difference betwen Jacob before and after imprinting and I don't mean the whining over Bella. I mean he changed completely, the boy who wanted real love, the love you had to find and work for like his father had for his mother suddenly was gone, everything he was was gone and all there was got replaced by this overwhelming obsession. NO OBSESSION IS GOOD. Yeah Nessie will grow up and be PHYSICALLY Mature after her 7th birthday. She is very smart and very mature for her age again true so by 7 she might even know what love is. My trouble with this is that Jacob is whether meaning to or not going to groom her to be his mate. She will not have a choice if she is left in his care and that worried me a lot and still does. I do not care if she is as smart as a five year old and looks one, giving a PROMISE RING to a child is wrong. If you do not understand what I mean google it.

In BD Edward is not pleased with the Promise Ring[Braclet w/e] because he grew up in a time where Promise Rings were important parts of relationships. Bella and anyone including us from the modern age don't feel that way, most high school sweet hearts give promise rings and they mean almost nothing. So of course Bella would not see the true meaning. Promise Rings are a vow to wait for Marrage to be together. So let me translate that gesture. Jacob was telling a child born less then five months before that he would not have sex with her till they got married, that he would be with noone else till they got married. She might have had the mind of a 5 year old, that is still sick and SM should have been ashamed of herself for that passage. I am sure someone of her talent could have come up with a better scene that did not make Jacob sound like a pedo.

I hope there is a book with Nessie's POV I hope she falls in love, real love with someone who wants to be with her because they love her back not because some wolf gene wants to reproduce because she is the best counterpart to it. I want the child to have a happy ending and a good life. I adore Jacob but that Jacob died on page 360 Book 2, Breaking Dawn.
R.I.P - Jacob Black [Died August 2nd, 2008](Page 360, Book 2, Breaking Dawn)
TeamJacob!
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by TeamJacob! »

Volterrian wrote: I adore Jacob but that Jacob died on page 360 Book 2, Breaking Dawn.
Yeh, i gotta agree. The rest of the book i was left wondering where Jacob went :(
E<3B but I <3 Jacob
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER SECURITY
>>>Thinks her avie provides proof that Rob does indeed have muscles...;D
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

Volterrian wrote:
In BD Edward is not pleased with the Promise Ring[Braclet w/e] because he grew up in a time where Promise Rings were important parts of relationships. Bella and anyone including us from the modern age don't feel that way, most high school sweet hearts give promise rings and they mean almost nothing. So of course Bella would not see the true meaning. Promise Rings are a vow to wait for Marrage to be together. So let me translate that gesture. Jacob was telling a child born less then five months before that he would not have sex with her till they got married, that he would be with noone else till they got married. She might have had the mind of a 5 year old, that is still sick and SM should have been ashamed of herself for that passage. I am sure someone of her talent could have come up with a better scene that did not make Jacob sound like a pedo.
I think we need to look at this from Jacob's point of view, not Edward's.

Jacob grew up in this time. In this day in age, promise rings mean this (I googled it, as you suggested):
A promise ring symbolizes a promise or commitment between two people. Promise rings can be given for almost any type of promise made and need not be limited to promises made for engagement or weddings. Having said this, we would also like to mention that the reason for giving or accepting a promise ring should be well understood by both persons.

Now, there are a few different kinds of promise rings. The kind you referred to, which means that a person will not have sex with anybody (including the person the ring is given to) until marriage, is called a Purity Promise Ring.
A Friendship Promise Ring is completely different. Friendship is one of the most obvious reasons for which a promise ring might be given. The meaning of a promise ring in such a case, would not relate to any romantic affair, but rather signify a commitment to always be there for each other in times of need.

Let's not jump to hasty (and slightly wrong) conclusions about what Stephenie Meyer (or Jacob, for that matter) meant by this promise ring/bracelet. He said himself that he didn't think of her that way at all... Edward would not have been so kind to him if he had. His promise ring could have easily been a promise to just be a friend, be a close confidante... someone she could turn to when she needed him. And when the time comes, it can change its meaning, but only when that time comes. I believe that Edward is just uncomfortable with the idea of a wolf loving his daughter in ANY kind of way.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand better Jacob's intention with the bracelet. :)
Volterrian
Wandering Through Town

Post by Volterrian »

Hey,

Except we must remeber its not Jacob who gave the braclet. I am not saying in any way that Jacob does not love Nessie I am saying that the love is a product of a instinct to spread the wolf gene. There is a reason behind Stephanie Meyers putting it in there.

Yes it could mean friendship and your right the most modern version is for friendship and yes Jacob is roughly 17 years old now so he would understand that part of it. In the Jacob and Nessie thread someone suggested something that is totally acceptable. If Jacob backed off completely till Nessie was old enough to decide for herself then I think it would be a sign that he was not just ruled by this instinct.

I admit I have trouble seeing Jacob as a 17 year old trapped in the body of a 25 year old. Since he matured a lot through the series from innocent young boy to Alpha pack leader. I know Stephanie Meyers always planned on Jacob imprinting on Nessie. If you read her site she mentioned that in her original sequel to Twilight before New moon or Eclipse she had Jacob Imprint on Nessie when Bella took her over to Charlie's house some weeks after her birth. So I get that it was not a total spur of the moment deal, but it seems to easy a fix to a problem.

Call me a romantic but I always thought love was something that you worked for, because if it came easy then it wouldn't really be as worth it. Jacob gets to imprint and live happily ever after with a mate he gets to groom from birth while everyone else in the world has to fight for their chance at love, heck even Sam and them had to do a little fighting. I would love to see a book where nessie understand's Jacob's imprinting on her but at least has a chance to see someone else as a love. So if she did finally decide on Jacob it was for the right reasons not because he had been beating it into her head from birth that he is perfect for her.
R.I.P - Jacob Black [Died August 2nd, 2008](Page 360, Book 2, Breaking Dawn)
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I adored Jake when I first met him in Twilight. Then when Edward left and Jake came back into the picture, I thought that he was the most awesomest person to ever walk the planet. He was so down to earth and cool and everything else. And then when he phased and Sam told him that he could see Bella, I was like what the heck happened to Jake!?! He has changed so much. And then when he was about to kiss her right before the phone rang, that was, well I can't even put it into words. But, in Eclipse I loved how he just showed up at Forks High and stood his ground in front of Edward, Bella and half of the senior class. And how he just told Bella that he loved her and was totally cool after she punched him. But, I cried so much at the end of Eclipse first when Jake found out that they were getting married, and when he treatened to kill himself, and espically when he ranaway. I hated that he got hurt so much. But, as least he has Renesmee now! :D

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
LAURENonFIRE
Settled in Forks

Post by LAURENonFIRE »

Volterrian wrote:Noone can tell me there is not a difference betwen Jacob before and after imprinting and I don't mean the whining over Bella. I mean he changed completely, the boy who wanted real love, the love you had to find and work for like his father had for his mother suddenly was gone, everything he was was gone and all there was got replaced by this overwhelming obsession.

Exactly. I loved Jacob so much, but where did he go? I liked he got his "happily ever after", but I just wish it was in a different way. Or, hey, maybe not even that. I just wish he wouldn't have lost who he was in exchange for thoughts of only the object of his obsession. Imprinting sucks. I wish Jake could have fallen in love in a natural way, like he WANTED. I mean, I kind of hate that SM led me to believe, even if it was unintentional, that Jake could get a natural love, and then I was DENIED.

But I loved his humor and sarcasm and everything else Jacob Black, so that's how he'll stay in my mind xD
xox: lauren[!]

love of mine, someday you will die, but i'll be close behind;
i'll follow you into the dark <3

;; death cab for cutie.