Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Post by debussygirl »

Deja wrote:I have an opinion.

I'm excited. The Golden Compass may not have been the best adaptation, but the blame for that rests mostly on the studio, who changed everything as drastically as possible so they wouldn't offend everyone. The movie, while not a good adaptation- was still beautiful. It still won a Oscar, for Visual Effects, and was nominated for Art Direction. Now this is mostly due to the art department, but Chris had a hand in this, you can be sure. It won three other awards at various award ceremonies, and was nominated for another 26, mostly in Art direction and Special Effects. This is a GOOD thing. Besides that he also won an Oscar for BEST WRITING, adapted screenplay.

He isn't some stupid director with no experience. He is an award winning director with experience in comedy, drama, romance- and epic special effects. Many top actors have worked for him happily. They didn't find this one in the looney bin. I'm excited for his version of New Moon. I really liked Catherine, but I think we're going to get a higher quality movie. I really do.

Thats all.
Thanks for that post. I'm feeling better about him as a director. I'm just so nervous these days about NM movie. Now I can just worry about Taylor *crosses fingers*
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

shavei7 wrote:I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt --- for now --- because of SM.

We'll see...all I can say is, they (director, Summit, scriptwriter) better not f*ck this up.
Anyways, worse case scnerio (knock on wood....I want this film to be way better than the first in terms of script and effects and ..everything) my 'pitchfork and torch' are already ready.

And whoever is planning to form an army if the f*ck this up, count me in :twisted: :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ;) You're so funny! I agree completely!!
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
CauseofEdwardIlove
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Longing for Edward...but I will settle for Rob anytime...In Georgia!

Post by CauseofEdwardIlove »

navarre wrote:
shavei7 wrote:I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt --- for now --- because of SM.

We'll see...all I can say is, they (director, Summit, scriptwriter) better not f*ck this up.
Anyways, worse case scnerio (knock on wood....I want this film to be way better than the first in terms of script and effects and ..everything) my 'pitchfork and torch' are already ready.

And whoever is planning to form an army if the f*ck this up, count me in :twisted: :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ;) You're so funny! I agree completely!!

I was thinking the same thing...the angry mobs will be uncontrolable if they EFF' this up!!
Manda
After waiting a lifetime....I have finally fallen in love...Rob I love you!
anilumagloire
Wandering Through Town

Post by anilumagloire »

Deja wrote:I have an opinion.

I'm excited. The Golden Compass may not have been the best adaptation, but the blame for that rests mostly on the studio, who changed everything as drastically as possible so they wouldn't offend everyone. The movie, while not a good adaptation- was still beautiful. It still won a Oscar, for Visual Effects, and was nominated for Art Direction. Now this is mostly due to the art department, but Chris had a hand in this, you can be sure. It won three other awards at various award ceremonies, and was nominated for another 26, mostly in Art direction and Special Effects. This is a GOOD thing. Besides that he also won an Oscar for BEST WRITING, adapted screenplay.

He isn't some stupid director with no experience. He is an award winning director with experience in comedy, drama, romance- and epic special effects. Many top actors have worked for him happily. They didn't find this one in the looney bin. I'm excited for his version of New Moon. I really liked Catherine, but I think we're going to get a higher quality movie. I really do.

Thats all.

AMEN!!! I have faith that he will deliver an amazing movie. I cannot wait.
About A Boy is a great film and so was the Golden Compass. Those special effects were insane and the actors did a great job too, thanks to him.
inlovewithabook08
Wandering Through Town

Post by inlovewithabook08 »

I dont have an opinion on him yet ... but they better make this movie a lot like the book because i still highly believe that Edward doesnt have to and shouldnt appear until the end like he is supposed to, i love him to death ... but i think it would be much cooler to put it the way the book does and just hear his voice when we do or see bellas flashbacks ... i think that would make this movie all that it could and should be! :)

im super excited to see how this turns out and how the movie will be from a different directors perspective, not that i didnt enjoy Catherines work, i did, but i think it will be a whole new experiance with a new director.
The boys of Twilight are my favorite.

katyc
Settled in Forks

Post by katyc »

I am very happy about him being the director. I know that he has a good background with visuals and special effects. I know that he won't make this look like a cheap, cheesy, amatuer movie. The only thing I am nervous about--as I would be with any director, is if he will stay true to the book. I was very disappointed with Twilight the movie's interpretations of the dialogue and overall "mood" of the book. I mean, I don't expect the lines to be the exact same, or even the scenes. But while I'm watching the movie, I want to feel what I feel when I read the books. That feeling is why Twilight has so many devoted fans. The main feeling of the saga is true love--- and, sorry, but I wasn't feeling the "true love" part this time around.

Chris if you read this (wouldn't that be awesome), please remember that the main theme of the story is love. Not action. Not cool vampire powers. Just make us believe that they love each other. Oh, and make Edward more charming! Book Edward is so much more sweet and confident than movie Edward is. And Edward and Bella playfully bicker in the books--so cute--some of that would be great too. Oh, aaaand Alice and Bella. Fans love Alice so much. Make her a central character. Flashbacks of Alcie/Bella and Edward/Bella would be great to develop their relationships since they were sooooo rushed, unelaborated, and unbelievable in Twilight. Sorry, this kind of turned into a wishlist, but I can't help it.

Personally, I am more nervous about Melissa's (the writer) attempts at making this better than Twilight. I mean she already had the script for New Moon done before Twilight's release---and I know that the dialogue was what disappointed many fans (including myself) and critics the most. The script is what sets the mood of the movie-- and again, I just wasn't feeling it in Twilight. Hopefully they have been fixing it. Hopefully.

Done with rant.
BeautifullyTragic
Settled in Forks

Post by BeautifullyTragic »

Golden Compass wasn't that great because of all they had to dub down. They couldn't make it a movie to offend people, which is why it turned out the way it is.(Though I liked it for what it was) The directing was good enough for me. I like Chris Weitz as a director. I think he'll do great things with New Moon. You know very well that SM wont allow it to differ THAT much from the book. As long as they keep the key scenes in it, it'll be as good as Twilight, if not better. I for one, can't wait!

The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes The Sweetest...
Miss Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Miss Cullen »

What really drew me to Chris is that he took the time to write a message to the fans! I really respect him for that, for acknowledging that is the fans who drive these books/movies and who want to see New Moon done right. I also find it very encouraging that SM is behind him also, who better to be giving her support for him than Stephenie. I will give Chris the benefit of the doubt and trust that he will live up to his promise to make the best New Moon he can and to stay true to the book.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

katyc wrote:I am very happy about him being the director. I know that he has a good background with visuals and special effects. I know that he won't make this look like a cheap, cheesy, amatuer movie. The only thing I am nervous about--as I would be with any director, is if he will stay true to the book. I was very disappointed with Twilight the movie's interpretations of the dialogue and overall "mood" of the book. I mean, I don't expect the lines to be the exact same, or even the scenes. But while I'm watching the movie, I want to feel what I feel when I read the books. That feeling is why Twilight has so many devoted fans. The main feeling of the saga is true love--- and, sorry, but I wasn't feeling the "true love" part this time around.

Chris if you read this (wouldn't that be awesome), please remember that the main theme of the story is love. Not action. Not cool vampire powers. Just make us believe that they love each other. Oh, and make Edward more charming! Book Edward is so much more sweet and confident than movie Edward is. And Edward and Bella playfully bicker in the books--so cute--some of that would be great too. Oh, aaaand Alice and Bella. Fans love Alice so much. Make her a central character. Flashbacks of Alcie/Bella and Edward/Bella would be great to develop their relationships since they were sooooo rushed, unelaborated, and unbelievable in Twilight. Sorry, this kind of turned into a wishlist, but I can't help it.

Personally, I am more nervous about Melissa's (the writer) attempts at making this better than Twilight. I mean she already had the script for New Moon done before Twilight's release---and I know that the dialogue was what disappointed many fans (including myself) and critics the most. The script is what sets the mood of the movie-- and again, I just wasn't feeling it in Twilight. Hopefully they have been fixing it. Hopefully.

Done with rant.
Excellent post, katyc!!!!! Most excellent!
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
twibrarian
Settled in Forks

Post by twibrarian »

i am really unhappy with his appointment. i was very unsatisfied by his adaptation of the golden compass. notice how they aren't making anymore of those movies? i'm really afraid he's going to kill the series. although i might just be upset because i heard they are rushing to get the movie out by november next year, and considering replacing taylor lautner. i thought he was so cute and had potential to play the brooding post-wolf jake, but i guess they want someone more "sexy," to threaten heartthrob edward. the whole idea puts me in a foul mood.
J<3B